1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Washington Redtails?

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Jt0323, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...of-the-redskins-name-goes-back-to-his-father/

It looks like we've reached the bargaining stage, as former GM and Redskins mouthpiece Vinny Cerrato has floated this, out of nowhere I'm sure:

2. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    ckparrothead and finyank13 like this.
  3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    As well **** the taxpayers I am sure....all that and more for a name change....

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Synder has no leverage, he lost his trademark.

5. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Potatoes are offended by feathers?
    Hard to keep up with the PC these days.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  6. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    There are PLENTY on both sides.
    There are some Liberals that I am in complete amazement that anyone would vote for them to hold any office at all yet a majority does.

7. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I have had it with the absurdity of PC running amok these days. HAD IT! I'm pretty vocal about pointing out absurd cases in the PoFo as many would probably attest to as well.

That said, this issue to me seems like a legitimate gripe.
    I don't think there should be any issue with team names like Chiefs, Braves, Seminoles, etc.
    There is nothing that should be able to be considered derogatory about those. In fact it should be an honor teams would want to identify with American Indians and their culture.

Redskins however is a simple play on the practice of generalizing groups of people by skin color.
    I get why American Indians would consider it derogatory and it makes sense.
    Just change it and get it over with.
    Change it to an acceptable American Indian name and you're really not changing much about the team or it's history.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  8. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    ^
    Of course, it helps that FSU has a strong connection with the Seminole tribe.

9. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    http://pro32.ap.org/article/california-tribe-rejects-offer-redskins-group

It appears the Redskins are now essentially bribing Native American tribes in order to try and garner their support for the name.

Even more genius is this:
    lol

10. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    They used to be the Washington Braves. As in brave. Courageous. All positive. Indian warriors were referred to as braves. The Washington franchise has the historical option to return to their old nickname, keeping their logo and colors and turning the dispute into something complimentary to Native Americans. They could validly say it's retro. Why this doesn't occur to their owner is beyond me.

Fin D likes this.
  11. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    That's the thing I was thinking about the other day. Snyder has an opportunity really to say "I'm changing it out of respect for you guys." and probably garner some new fans. Especially if he as you said changes it to honor native americans.
    I like the braves name. I do wonder though if they hesitate to switch due to name recognition and having to compete with mlbs Atlanta Braves.

cdz12250 likes this.
  12. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    The Arizona Cardinals probably don't have to compete for fans with the St. Louis Cardinals. I have a suspicion that they hesitate to switch due to Snyder's ego.

13. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    So 90% of native americans polled have said it is not a big issue and they are not offended.

Just saying.

14. Coach

Coach New Member

Aug 15, 2011

it doesn't matter what native americans say. white liberal democrats insist they are offended.

as usual its not about what is offensive. what is offensive and what is not depends on who you ask. it is about power and control. that is all political correctness is.

15. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    You have been here before it seems.

Luckily the jokers are out of the deck in this thread.

Oh wait! The Joker has a painted on white face, how racist of me!

16. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah but Bob Costas has his own indian that is offended and he will continue to say that indian speaks for everyone..

17. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Being white, liberal, and by default a democrat (no better option sadly...the party is corrupt and I only mean democrat view wise) I can say not everyone feels that way.

18. Shane Falco

Shane Falco Banned

Nov 22, 2015
    Thank God The Don will outlaw political correctness once and for all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    In honor of Dan Marino, I say we petition to change the name of the Miami Dolphins to Miami Philandering Alcoholics.

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Trump can't even handle people picking on just him. He's the last person on the planet that should champion the anti-PC movement.

21. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    So 10% are offended at the slur, and you think it should still remain?

What % of a minority population being offended is an acceptable threshold to you?

Beyond that, why are we poll-testing an established racial slur? Could you imagine a poll asking if black people were offended at the use of the N-word?

Silverphin likes this.
  22. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Looks like they went with “Football Team.” Who would’ve thunk it? Go Phins!

ps...this thread did not age well for some.

23. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I say they should name then the Washington Foreskins

24. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Read through many of the posts in the thread and here's my two cents worth...

Whether or not you yourself personally feel the name "Redskins" is offensive is irrelevant. All have their own opinion. Its a racial slur; It was a tribute to the team's first coach. Any fair minded person can at least SEE the point of view of the other. If you're fair minded that is, but the discussion on the Redskins name logo falls apart and becomes rancor filled when it's taken to the next level. The next level? What level is that? The silly calls against benign logos and mascots.

Not only had the Washington Redskins come under fire for years for their name, but the fire started spreading to other teams that had native American logos/names.

The Cleveland Indians
    The Atlanta Braves

How dare teams use names that exploit the native American people? The Indians and Braves have removed their generations long caricature mascots in their logo. A caricature; you get that?

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Caricatures have been around in illustrations dating back to the great Charles Dickens and The Canterbury Tales and the caricatures of the Cleveland Indians and Atlanta Braves mascots were comical representations of native American warriors because, well lets be honest...no one wants to see the true horror that comes from any war. But due to the politically correct movement that anything is offensive, those caricatures just had to go!

But what about the Florida State Seminoles? Their mascot is "Osceola", a horseback Seminole Indian decked out in all of the regalia of the Seminole tribe; flaming spear adorned with feathers...warpaint, et al. Why hasn't Osceola come under fire? Well he actually did but what extinguished the fire was the fact that Florida State University and the Seminole Tribe of Florida have actually partnered together to ensure there is no offensive stereotypical portrayal of the Seminole tribe. The irony behind this however is the regalia used by other native American mascoted teams...feathers and warpaint et al that the politically correct pursuing movement finds offensive is actually authentic to the tribes these teams use. Did anyone ever bother to actually consult with any of the native American tribal nations for their perspective? The answer is actually surprising, but to stay on point concerning Washington...

Lost in the genuine debate regarding the name "Redskins" was all of the ridiculousness that ensued. Furthermore what has added to the ridiculousness was a political ad that aired, showing Joe Biden with his then infant son attending a Washington Redskins came, little baby Bo Biden with a Redskins ski cap to keep his baby head warm...and the old Redskins logo photo shopped out of the image. For real? Erasing history as not to offend? It distracts from the genuine discussion.

Whether or not Washington calls themselves the Redskins or Foreskins, I don't care. But if one wishes to have genuine discussions on race and race relations, when you go to extremes in the pursuit of political correctness, you lose credibility in the strength of your argument as you now just become an extremist.