1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watched Seahawks Film: Some Observations

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Some thoughts after watching a bunch of Seahawks film:

- Seahawks CB Kelly Jennings struggles when WRs make lots of quick moves and cuts in front of him. Camarillo is tailor-made to give him trouble.

- Kelly Jennings also trips on his shoelaces covering WRs on deep bombs. Boy do I hope we throw at him, no matter which WR is matched with him. Ginn would kill him deep, Camarillo would turn him inside out on fake cuts.

- The Seahawks pass protection gives up a lot of pressure, but Wallace moves around so much, he's still a very dfficult sack

- Peterson is still a threat to rush the passer from the OLB spot, he also makes big plays with 3 FF's

- The Seahawks WRs don't seem too interested in blocking for the runningbacks (or just poor at it)

- Leonard Weaver has hands and wheels for a fullback, outrunning LBs and the occasional DB who has popped it into 'coast' figuring he's just a slow fullback. Nuh-uh, he'll accelerate and take it to the house. We need to keep an eye on him coming out of the backfield on pass plays.

- On the goalline they love their fake-run left, then QB rollout to the right and pass to the Tight End, #89 John Carlson. That's worked for them many times. We need to be disciplined on our backside responsibilities and not sell out too much to the side of any goal line run. This will come down to the safeties and backside LB not abandoning their responsibilities.

- When Julius Jones is in they like to run the screen to him. He also bounces outside, even on inside runs, better than he runs up the gut. When he's in, the defense must maintain its spacing and lane responsibilities.

- Duckett and the O-line get good push on goalline dives. Duckett rarely bounces it back outside if it's clogged in the middle. If Duckett's in on a goalline carry, I run blitz the two inside gaps.

ac_lanham, shula_guy, GISH and 12 others like this.
  2. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    Especially considering how bad Hillis torched us last week, we really need to look out for this. You can be sure Holmgren saw that and will try to exploit this weakness/breakdown until we show we can stop it.

'Course, if we go in a Tampa 2 look and get a pick-6 from one of the Allens, that will stop that real quick. :wink2:

Bpk likes this.
  3. Bpk

I feel like having Hillis torch us helped raise the red flag for our coaching staff. Knowing Tony and the staff they spent a lot of time this week on correcting that weakness.

Remember how we were missing a lot of tackles a few weeks ago, then Tony made a point of fixing that problem? We missed very few tackles last week.

I think we'll be prepared for their fullback.

Now, let's hope Tony's Special Teams finally start to get the message that they need to improve.

JCowScot likes this.
  4. JCowScot

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    I'm sure it did, but Holmgren's still going to test our execution. That will be interesting to watch play out.:yes:

At the very least, I would like to see some improvement on the coverage units. The return teams haven't been awful the past couple of weeks w/ Ginn back there again, but we still can't seem to get down and hit somebody before they reach the 30.:pity:

I imagine that's going to be a point of emphasis this off-season, after we have quality starters on both the lines, and thus less of a need for 3-4 depth or 'maybe' guys. Fast, aggressive LB's and DB's will be quite popular come spring.:up:

Bpk likes this.
  5. Bpk

I've seen London and Jason Allen getting down there on coverages, as well as Cobbs and Culver. I think Torbor had a big hit last weekend.

I'm seeing the coverage units coming along. This game could be when they begin to show that consistency.

6. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    I would rather be torched by a FB coming out of the backfield than a WR over the top and deep:up:

Puka-head and Bpk like this.
  7. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

They're a WCO that thrives on big plays, crossing routes to open up underneath zones and getting their RBs, FB and TEs open to YACs...we need to stay disciplined in our coverage and do a good job of making tackles. Last week was one of the better weeks we had with guys not missing tackles.

The not-missing-tackles mantra applies to the STs as well, as again, we were better last week in not missing tackles...not perfect, but a little better...if we can continue that trend, we'll be better off. Seattle has good STs units...

Bpk likes this.
  8. orangefinfan

orangefinfan New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think coach had our guys out there this week working on the ST and as well as fixing some of the defenisive assigments for being able to contain the fb. Hillis or what ever his name is had a pretty good game last against the browns as well. On a side note, Bpk nice write up

Bpk likes this.
  9. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I would expect use to use more screen passes when they bring the blitz, we all know Ronnie is an excellent receiver, and Ginn can blow by a few guys for a nice gain.

10. JCowScot

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    I sure do hope you're right.:knucks:

Bpk likes this.
  11. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Thanks for the interesting insights. But what the hell is that in your avatar? It looks like an animal from Dr. Seuss come to life.

Bpk likes this.
  12. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Thanks BPK, good stuff, great thread. Just 1 question: did you tell all this to Tony?

Bpk likes this.
  13. Bpk

It would be nice to see some screens, though it's almost assured they'd go to the left, with Smiley and Satele moving out front of it (our instability at RG has meant rarely running screens to the right). If Smiley's shoulder acts up and he misses any game time, however, ir would severely hurt our ability to run such plays.

Ginn impessed me on screens in college, but not in the couple I saw thrown to him in the NFL before the last few weeks. In the last few weeks, I believe Ted actually caught a WR screen to the left (again, always screening left... predictable or what?) and made someone miss!!! I hope Ted can build on this, as there is no point running screens to him if the first tackler gets him. Speed is useless if you never actually start moving.

Also, the nature of Ginn's speed seems to be that it's more useful when he is hit in stride, or can use his long stride in open space. Even on his most electrifying WR screens in college, he had lots of open space to run (sometimes reversing ALL the way across the field). He just doesn;t pick his way through trash and tacklers very well if there aren;t good-sized gaps. Ronnie is better at exploding and cutting. I'd screen to Ronnie before Ginn. Maybe even Cobbs.

Ted I would rather see on slants, a reverse, crossing routes, fly routes, and, if he gets a big cushion, underneath stuff (hooks/curls, 7-8 yard square ins... which Teddy runs more like a 102 degree in, but still).

I'd really like to see Camarillo given at least two deep routes to run this game, to stop defenses from beginning to squat on his short routes. He is gaining a rep as a short-stuff receiver and pretty soon, if that's all we throw at him, then CB's will get aggressive and start jumping those short routes. We need to run a stop n go with Camarillo to burn CBs who have studied Camarillo's film and expect him to make quick cuts on short routes.

14. Bpk

Isn't it beautiful?

If I told you what it is, that would require me finding out first, and I am not sure I want to know what it is that has actually been sharing my bed with me for the last few months.

I simply consider him an oracle. He makes all my football predictions via a series of high-pitched clicking noises.

15. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Good point about Ginn and screens...in running a screen, the ball carrier/runner is asked to make that first guy miss. That is difficult for Ginn. He needs to get up to speed first, then he can make some moves to make guys miss. Like you said, get him on quick or short slants, or delayed drag plays across the middle or some play that he can get the first few steps going before encountering a defender...

16. EdSta74

EdSta74 I

Mar 22, 2008
    Long Island City, NY
    Hopefully The ST unit gets it together. Seattle may be a battered, injury depleted team. But they are still a very good return team. We can't afford to hand them good field position. If we can keep them pinned all game, we can take this game with relative ease.

17. aesop

aesop Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    NYC
    Hopefully Wilford can keep playing as well as he has been. He should be the key to our win.

Bpk likes this.
  18. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    great observations Bpk. its good to read that their main threats are their FB and TE. Domination should ensue.

19. Im going to cheat here and copy and paste my post from another site on my opinion of this game. I am glad to see you all are taking this game much more seriously on this site. This game alot of people think have blowout written all over it and that scares me. anyhow here is a copy of my post for you all.

20. AMEN -- I cannot agree with you more.

shula_guy likes this.