Watt says he picked up Dolphins’ snap count from Hard Knocks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phinz13, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Phinz13

Phinz13 Active Member

Aug 2, 2011
    [h=1]Watt says he picked up Dolphins’ snap count from Hard Knocks
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...cked-up-dolphins-snap-count-from-hard-knocks/[/h]

Posted by Mike Florio on September 11, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
    [​IMG] Getty Images Do not ask for whom the bell tolls. The bell tolls for Hard Knocks.
    Texans defensive end J.J. Watt delivered a potential death blow to the show on Tuesday, explaining on NBC Network’s Pro Football Talk that he picked up the Dolphins’ snap count by watching the show.
    He was a little sheepish and guarded when explaining it to co-host Erik Kuselias, saying that the same information can be picked up from the preseason game broadcasts. But Watt said that it helped.
    And that one line could provide future coaches and G.M.’s with the ammunition they need to push back against an owner who decides he wants to be a carnival barker.
    Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said in June that the choice to do Hard Knocks was a football decision. Yes, it was. A bad football decision.
    It did nothing to help the team win. It routinely televised embarrassing and sensitive moments involving players, driving a wedge between the organization and its most important employees and potentially making it harder (and costlier) to attract free agents to South Florida.
    Though we love the show, no owner who wants to establish a football program that consistently wins games should ever want to do it. There’s nothing to gain, and plenty to lose.

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think he's full of ****, personally. The plays he made, he didn't make by getting a special jump on the ball.

3. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Florio gonna Florio

4. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    God I hate Florio

Oh and btw, on any NFL broadcast you hear Aaron Rodgers say, "Three nineteeeeeeen, Three nineteen hut" almost every single snap.

These comments by Watt were reported on the CBS broadcast initially. Having been completely exposed on HK, the Dolphins couldn't possibly have altered snap counts in a real game...

5. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    Tannehill like to use "Gooooo" or "Goo" "Goooo"

maynard likes this.
  6. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Keep that quiet

7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Why is this a Florio thing? A football player spouted off about how he got key information to help him defeat a team from the Hard Knocks footage. That's news. The player may be full of it but it's still news.

Samphin likes this.
  8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think its for everything after the point of the article, where he starts blasting the entire organization.

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  9. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Agreed with CK on this one. Watt is the one making the claim, not Florio. Personally, I think Florio gets a bad rap on these boards, but old habits die hard I guess.

Florio IS making the leap about how this drove a wedge amongst coaches and p,ayers and how this could kill the show going forward. That is simply opinionated bull plop tacked on to the end of the meat of the story though.

Stringer Bell and DePhinistr8 like this.
  10. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Because of his little jabs he puts in at the end.
    "It did nothing to help the team win. It routinely televised embarrassing and sensitive moments involving players, driving a wedge between the organization and its most important employees and potentially making it harder (and costlier) to attract free agents to South Florida.
    Though we love the show, no owner who wants to establish a football program that consistently wins games should ever want to do it."

That's just editorial horse****. Does he really think the phins did this because it would help them win? And hasn't every single hard knocks season shown embarrassing and sensitive moments? Free agents will go a) where the money takes them and b) where they can win or some reasonable combination of both. And basically saying our owner doesn't want to establish a consistent winner is crap. Of course he wants to, I'm just not sure he knows how to.

It didn't really hurt the Jets, Chiefs, or Ravens.

11. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    nothing wrong, but after this he is again talkin ****...about how it was a bad football decision to do HK...yada, yada, yada

12. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    He builds on previous bull plop in subsequent articles with more bull plop.

IIRC, he had an initial gripe with Philbin because Philbin's explanation that HK was a football decision was not to Florio's satisfaction, because Lombardi gave a better explanation 50 years ago about players performing better on camera. (Since Philbin did not say something like that, it must not have been a football decision). But now, Florio says it is a football decsion. Of course its a bad football decision and his toe in the door to make that allegation is a spurious claim by Watt.

And of course, NFL players have never seen a team cut or trade a player. That only happens on TV

13. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I sorta call BS here. I don't know that Watt needed to pick up anything. The Dolphins used the same call and snap count throughout the game.

"Blue 88. Go. Go"

....and occasionally...

"Blue 88. Go"

That's it.

I don't recall hearing anything else. Haven't re-watched the second half. But this is what comprised the first half. That and the silent leg hike, but that doesn't really count.

14. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    Not news in my opinion, anyone watching any preseason broadcast is privy to the snap count. Watt, is a roider, who's nuts will eventually shrink to match the pea sized brain he has.

15. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    So it took 7 seasons of Hard Knocks for someone to 'suddenly' pick up the snap count by watching the show?

[​IMG]

16. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    54's the mike?

maynard likes this.
  17. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I think Watt went on to say that watching Hard Knocks was no different than a preseason game. So, context.