1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

we are stable at QB

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Frumundah Finnatic, Jul 31, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    How long has it been since we've been able to say that? prior to last year it had been 9 years since we had a good QB(make that balls shatteringly awesome) and since then we've had a QB controversey nearly every year, followed by mediocre to godawful QB play, and now we a very talented core of guys at the position.

We have a smart, accurate more than capable starter.

We have two young QBs that are being mentored by him, yes I know the F.O loves Henne and he has improved by leaps and bounds according to everyone around him. But you cant put all your eggs in one basket, Pat White wants to be an NFL QB and I believe he will get that chance possibly next year. He too is hella talented although he's raw and right now he's most valuable to us in the WC.

dolfan7171, DaFish and opfinistic like this.
  2. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    agreed

3. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    qb's were the roundtable discussion 7/31

aquavision

4. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Well the focus is on the development of Henne and how White will perform, no one is saying either will start over Penny come september.

5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Pennington is the Starter, & if he plays like last year or improves his game & remains uninjured (which he probably will), Chad the Greater will have a new contract with the Dolphins for 2010. It's all up to Pennington, only Chad will decide his fate is in 2009.
    the Pennington Renassaince continues :yes: the future is now!

6. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I'm hoping he can build of the confidence he must have gained after last season. Never thought I'd be rooting for the guy, but Go Chad!!!!!

DaFish and Frumundah Finnatic like this.
  7. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    I would like to see henne play most of the pre season games to make that dicision.

8. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    You're right, Henne needs more pre-season games to be ready in case he needs to replace Pennington
    however
    Chad the Greater is the the Captain & our starter, not Chad the Lesser
    Henne is an understudy until such time as Pennington fails to win or is injured

this is a good thing. the better man should always start & the more time Henne sits the better prepared he will be to take over should the occasion arise & sooner of later it will arise

although it should be noted: Henne is officially #2 behind Pennington & White is the WildCatMan, things could change there too.
    I say: let them all compete. no one can predict these things. we only know who will start in 2009
    however
    the future is upon us i.e. 2009 & our future is Chad Pennington :up:

I like the Stable & think it is one of the best in the NFL. I see no QB issues.

opfinistic likes this.
  9. I do agree that you are stable at the QB position for now, hopefully Chad can stay healthy for you guys, Henne is still unproven, if Chad goes down, then it might be a rough go for you.

10. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Honestly Dom, I think Henne would provide more depth to this offense because of his arm strength, he would be able to take advantage of Ginn's speed and stretch the field. Right now we're kind of handicapped in the plays that we can run, as I'm sure you're well aware of after years of Penny, so I don't think that it would be such a horrible struggle if Henne were to get the call. Then again, didn't you guys say the same thing about Clemens?

BleedinGreenNC likes this.
  11. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Agreed but that is a "might" and I will take that "might" over the "if our QB goes down.", we are screwed any day. We have had to endure too many damn seasons with not even knowing if the starter could get it done.

12. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Another year learning under Penny, another 2 TC's, and Henne may well push Penny out of the starting position to start the 2010 season IMHO. If Henne is as good as advertised.

13. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    if Henne can prove himself a better option than Penny, then we really DO have something.. I would expect Penny to have his finest year ever this season, to have someone able to push someone playing at "that" level would be special indeed.

Good morning Mark!

MonstBlitz likes this.
  14. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Well, it made sense for Penny to be here last season during the renaissance of the Phins...but don't be too surprised if they let Henne do something once in a while. I love what Penny brings to this team, but Henne wasn't drafted to sit behind anyone for long. White is unexplored territory at this point, at least as far as the QB position goes. As to his WC ability, that too is unknown, but based on his college career, he brings some things to the table that reeks of the WC offense. I don't think there is anyone who expects the current depth chart to be changed through this season, but I'm not convinced about next year...yet....

djphinfan likes this.
  15. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    if by stable, we mean that we know where everyone stands and have a reasonable expectation for success heading into the season ... i agree that we are stable ...

but, i certainly want to see what progress Henne has made - before feeling comfortable with hedging against a CP injury ... reporting suggests that Henne has made some large strides -- now he just needs to show them during camp.

i'm just not worried about White ... i understand that his progress could be directly tied to a significant threat improvement in the WC, and i do look forward to that ... but to me Henne's progress is what truly matters.

CP is not going to get 'better' ... he is what he is - and as long as he is healthy we will be successful.

16. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    first QB stability since the Marino era

17. You are correct my friend!! I hope all is well Mike! Penny does have the tendency to limit your ability to stretch the field, i was happy with Clemens arm, but i would take Chads decision making over an arm, hence the problem with Favre!:knucks:

18. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Things are good, hope all is well with you and yours. :hi5:

His leadership and decision making are definitely great qualities, but that doesn't stop teams from stacking the line against the run. We'll have to see how things go this year, I just hope Henne is ready to step up if and when his name is called.

19. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Teams may have been stacking the line against the run, but it should be noted that more times than not last season, Pennington made them pay for it. Teams went into games against us with a mindset of let's make Pennington win the game, and he did just that 11 times last year. Granted, he didn't do it himself, but he was a major factor.