1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We need Sam ..we need Sam..we need Sam !!!!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I brought up god because I believe it's part of the inception process, and you believe that it's a choice, god has to be part of the discussion if those are our beliefs.

So your thoughts on teenage suicide when professing bullying from feeling homosexual tendencies and what you consider impure thoughts.?

2. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    And what about those young kids who believe in god and at the same time feel different and scorned and suicidal for being attracted to the same sex?

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If homosexuality is a choice, when was it that you were attracted to men and women and then you chose to be straight?

djphinfan likes this.
  4. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Na, there's plenty of evil people who don't need a religion to hate people who are different.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  5. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I know a few and most of them just kind of feel like God's cool w them being gay more or less.

Big separation between God and the church for most people around my age who are Christian or catholic or whatever.

6. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    At no point does any Christian school system, or church, proclaim that you should hate anyone...

They don't promote hate in any way. Judgement isn't for humans to do (since it would be massively hypocritical since none of us live w/o sin, lol)... but for only God himself.

7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I'm not saying you're wrong but for all we know it is still a choice or preference. Maybe subconsciously.

Do you remember when you were a child and you decided ____ was your favorite color? I don't, but I know I made that choice.

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    So you remember when you were sexually attracted to boys and girls?

9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    No. How does that change what I just said?

10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm not sure there's such a thing as subconscious choice.

11. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Subconscious preference then maybe? If you agree that people have a subconscious then that pretty much opens the door for anything of that nature.

I'd say it's certainly one of the areas and workings of the brain that we still don't fully understand yet.

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    By teaching young children in the class that it's a sin or immoral to be gay their accomplishing what it is your saying they don't do..those are young impressionable minds, if their taught that it's wrong, and sinful, and for those that partake will be punished by god how do you think their gonna treat the first person that fits the script?

Hateful, cast out, not included.made fun of..

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    "Subconscious preference" is no different than saying "no choice".

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Why are we pretending that we all haven't seen kids who physically favor the opposite sex.

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Not really. No choice is like saying you're on a straight line from day 1. Subconscious preference leaves you open to influence on an unmarked course.

16. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Meaning you can look at a kid and tell they are or are going to be gay?

Well personally I've said that about kids and been wrong.

17. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Homosexuality is what is taught that is a sin. The kids aren't taught that wearing a pink backpack is a sin... and unless that kid is trying to kiss other boys... he's not being homosexual... and therefore isn't "fitting the script" you're referring to.

They don't mention boys playing with dolls, wearing pink, etc. The only "script" they talk about is a man laying with another man.

Also, while informing the children of what the different sins are... they are actively preaching forgiveness and kindness to others. Kids who choose to bully are ignoring those teachings... and would be bullying others regardless if informed that homosexuality is a sin or not...

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    But you have no choice to change it or stop it.

Again the basics of what you're arguing is that every person could either be gay or straight depending on their environment at an early age. If that's true, then you still have no choice.

19. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Not at all.

Do I think what you're exposed to might have a part in it? Sure. Do I think any two people react the same to a situation or interpret things the exact same way? Absolutely not.

Imo, there's no all or nothing and it's likely more a combination of a ton of diff factors.

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If that is true, it is likely the environment factors happen at an age to early for you to have a choice about and the internal factors were already there meaning you didn't have a choice about them either.

Are there a handful of gay and lesbian people who chose to be gay? Sure. But something had to be there before hand. Attraction has to be there.

21. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Can't make that assumption at all either.

Attraction is just perception. Perception changes.

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I don't know that i buy that. I've never been attracted to men, no matter what's going on in my life. I never made a choice.

I think you're born with the ability to be attracted to members of the same sex or not. Other factors can affect you from there, but the ability to be attracted is innate.

djphinfan likes this.
  23. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    Instead of all this 'it's a sin' 'not a sin' stuff, instead of debating the origins, surely the only relevant factor is 'what business of it is yours?'. If it's not negatively affecting your life (which it won't be) then who gives a sh*t?

24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Welcome to America, Scotty.

You're free to believe whatever you want...as long as others believe it too.:lol:

mbsinmisc likes this.
  25. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    My point is you might not know it was a choice you made to begin with.

I agree w that.

26. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    This. That's not just America though. There are countries that are waaaaaay less, "tolerant" than we are.

Weak people are always scared of what's different.

27. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Again, WADR, I'm not sure you can call something a choice if you didn't know you made it.

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    At inception, many different physiological outcomes can take place..Michael Sam in know way physically resembles a woman.

The point is we know there are thousands of examples where it is true, and in that aspect we know something happens in that regard at inception.

You couldn't possibly be trying to convince me that everyone that is gay came from their environment then to a choice, you can't possibly tell me that the extreme cases were a choice, and because that is the case then all things pertaining to the debate are moot, we must find the compassion in our hearts regardless of our religious beliefs to not condemn them for something they inherited at birth.

29. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Again, then use the word preference or tendency if you want to call it something else.

We can agree to disagree on that. My point is more that it's a possibility, which I don't see how anyone can factually debate.

30. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    How? Where is the fact that says your sexuality is decided at inception? That's 100% your opinion, not a fact.

You're acting like scientists found the gay chromosome and can point to it on the helix.

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Kids aren't smart enough to discern the difference, thus leading to teasing and ridiculing to other kids who they think might be just that based on mannerisms, style, and physicality, thus those kids committing suicide because of the false perception that was planted in their bullies heads.

32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm sorry i'm lost now.

You said:
    I honestly don't know how to insert "preference" into that statement and understand what your stance is.

I think you mean:
    But I don't see how you can "make" a choice or "preference" without knowing you did it.

33. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I haven't said much about suicide or bullying, because neither of those issues are exclusive to homosexuals or anyone having impure thoughts. This problem starts at home, and in the vast majority of cases, there are clear signs of trouble. Parents, teachers and friends all share the responsibility for helping kids learn to deal with bullies AND there are some very tough laws on the books to give parents/schools clear recourse.

The fact of the matter is, for every teen suicide you can show me, there are probably dozens of people who SHOULD HAVE seen that child was in trouble and offered help EVERY SINGLE TIME. In every case, the kid didn't have to be alone, but the teacher was too busy or the parents didn't really notice anything. It's tragic, and heartbreaking, but it has nothing to do with God or homosexuality. The bigger problem is a lack of religion and solid values that would keep kids from bullying each other in the first place.

Take this forum, for example, and all the questions about religion (and all the many things made up...or those who are challenging me on the Bible, without having any idea of what God's word is). These are things I learned growing up in a Christian household and going to church every Sunday. I'm not saying that I'm special or better than anyone, but if society as a whole hadn't abandoned their religious upbringings, then this world wouldn't be such a backwards, hateful place. The kid who kills himself because he has no idea about God was failed by his family. The kids who bullied him/her fall into the same category....society failed them and it all started at home.

1 Corinthians 10:13- No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

In other words, God's children are better at resisting temptation for two reasons- God keeps us clear of stuff we can't handle and we are constantly striving to be better people in the first place. If you live a Godless life though and make no effort to build a relationship with God, then you're left on your own to survive.

Probably the first time I ever looked at a girl and thought she was pretty. I can't remember that far back, but there was a blonde in 4-K that I was sweet on. There were probably cute little boys too, but I brought that little girl a Valentine and she kissed me on the cheek. That's about as serious of an answer I can give to a ridiculous question.

34. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Again, if you agree there's such a thing as your subconscious, then it's a definite possibility.

35. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    So you believe that back in 4-K you were attracted to boys and girls? Did you choose to be attracted to that little girl?

Why is that a ridiculous question, btw? If your contention is that homosexuality is a choice that means we all were chose to be straight because at one point we were attracted to girls and boys. I never chose to be straight, i just was.

MrClean likes this.
  36. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You can't make a choice subconsciously because you aren't actively choosing anything. If you have subconscious preference then you do not have a choice over having that preference. Choice and subconscious preferences are opposites. I think that's why I'm confused as to what you are saying.

37. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Sure you do.

Having a preference isn't something set in stone. I'd prefer to eat ice cream every day but I don't bc I don't want my teeth to fall out.

You can choose not to indulge in a preference.

38. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Because I could choose to have sex with a guy today...or I could choose not to. The same thing applies to my entire life; I never chose to have anything more than friendship with a guy. You could make the same argument for anything in life...drinking, murder, rape, smoking pot, getting married, choosing a profession...these are all obvious choices unless you're a robot.

Again though, I was talking to DJ from a Biblical perspective. There are literally hundreds of references to free will...and if you want to live in sin, God's going to let you run with that temptation. These people will face eternal damnation though...that's their choice too.

dolphindebby likes this.
  39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    A preference may not set in stone, a subconscious preference is.

40. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I don't believe that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.