1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We need to draft a QB

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by LikeUntoGod, Jan 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    I think we should do this almost every year.

In a later round we should draft a 6'3" to 6'6", 210-240 pound QB with a strong arm That would give Pat White some real competition and maybe convince him to start working on being a WR/PR/QB etc.

In the 6th round last year, QB's Mike Teel, Tom Brandstater, Keith Null and Curtis Painter were drafted and all of them made their teams.

Keith Null and Curtis Painter were still on the board for us in the 6th round when we took OT A.Gardner. And in the 7th round, 18 picks after we took linebacker JD Folsom (in a pick that once was ours) the Patriots took their WR/PR/QB in Julian Edelman.

Either Keith Null or Curtis Painter would have beaten out Pat White in a fair QB competition. And in a fair competition, Julian Edelman would have beaten him out as a "Athlete".

With Chad Henne and Tyler Thigpen we now have two players who can win games as real NFL QBs. I think we should have a 3th player who can play QB in the NFL.

2. CWBIII

CWBIII Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I don't think it's Pat White that needs to be convinced, but I would like to see him turned into a slash type player. I also agree with you about drafting a QB every year.

3. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    well you either replace pat white or thigpen. thigppen seemed a bit too out of control for parcells liking to me. i dont think parcells wants a poor man's brett favre or tony romo. he has playmaking ability but in his third year he's still prone to wtf interceptions. if we would look for a replacement for a wildcat QB then tim tebow (2nd rd), jarrett brown (4th rd) and Ryan Perrilloux (6th rd) are all under consideration. If we are looking for a more traditional pocket passer then I think the best value would be Jon Crompton in the 6th or 7th rd

gafinfan likes this.
  4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Well to be fair he hadn't played since the preaseason, and only the first interception was bad. Then again it wasnt even that bad considering he got his arm hit a little as he threw and elongated his release. He probably gets it there before the safety if he's able to get it off how he wants. Again just my opinion.

The second one was an open receiver, it just sailed.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  5. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i would go even further in that he was the 3rd QB which meant he probably didnt have any practice. he was effective at times and i see why people are excited by what could be. on the other hand his negatives coming out of kc were that he would throw the wtf interception and we saw that so i have to conclude that its still a problem. i'm more than happy to give him another year, even to the point wwhere i wouldnt mind him becoming the 2nd stringer and running the wildcat or spread. but if he continues to throw dumb picks he's not long for us, excitement factor be damned

Alex44 likes this.
  6. LikeUntoGod

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    Thigpen was asked after the game how many Reps he had that week of practice, his answer was zero.

But now we need a QB to back up Henne and Thigpen.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  7. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Of course, I'm a bit biased, but I believe Rusty Smith is a great late round target to look at.

8. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Considering they have 3 6's and 2 7's, does it really matter who they draft then. Last year they didn't even want to make a pick in the 7th so they just traded they're pick for this year.

9. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    KB21 called, he said that you're ripping off his going through elaborate effort to take thinly veiled shots at Pat White.

10. LikeUntoGod

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    I have a thread like this every year.

The fact that Pat White is not a NFL QB has little to do with it...........

:knucks:

11. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I say he was the best QB in KC last year :up:

adamprez2003 likes this.
  12. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Not sure what anyone else thought about QB Darryl Clark, but he looked really good today. I know he is only 6'1 but if you watched the E/W Shrine game you had to be impressed with his arm strength, accuracy, willingness to stand in the pocket with guys all around him and still get the ball out on target, and his throws on the run looked really solid too. Granted this was one all star game & I have not seen any of his PSU games ... but he sure looked good to me out there today.:up:

13. Tractor Traylor

Tractor Traylor Crafty Veteran

Jan 5, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    I worked with Kansas City that year, and there is no doubt that you are right. He was the most stable, consistent part of a team that was young and inexperienced. He has great ability to make something out of nothing and to keep plays alive (as we saw in week 17). Very athletic and I'm surprised that he hasn't had any consideration in the WildCat. It is a very similar system to what he ran in college at Coastal Carolina. Great guy too, very down to earth and laid back.

14. LikeUntoGod

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    Again, I'm REALLY trying not to make this about Pat White or the QBs we have but.................

I feel strongly that the reason we did not use Thigpen in the Wildcat etc was that while we could risk Pat White getting hurt, if Henne fell then Thigpen was our only QB who could run a true NFL offense.

As was stated, we have a number of 6th and 7th round picks. IMO, one should be used on a QB who has a chance of making it in the NFL.

15. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    With all fairness, if said QB has a chance to make it in the NFL, do you think he makes it to the 6th round?
    -
    -
    You mught be correct, they very well might take a QB with one of our latter picks, but I think it depends completely on whom is ir isn't there when they pick. For every Tammy Brady (6th round pick) there is an entire plethora of O and D lineman taken that late that turn into perrenial Pro-Bowlers.
    I mean let's face it, we have other areas of need much worse off than our QB situation.

dukane5 likes this.
  16. Tractor Traylor

Tractor Traylor Crafty Veteran

Jan 5, 2008
    Kansas City, MO

I see where you're coming from, and I have to agree with you. I had overlooked the QB rules, and was sort of thinking out loud. Thigpen has already shown his ability to lead a team and carry an offense. White, not so much. However, if this regime is serious about keeping him at QB, they need to give him a chance/experience to run an offense that isn't heavily reliant on gimmicks and trick plays. That said, I like Henne and Thigpen as the 1/2 but am interested in seeing what the late rounds have to offer in the QB position. I wonder if they consider someone along the lines of Juice Williams from Illinois for his combination of skills and athleticism.

17. dukane5

dukane5 New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    could not agree more. wow, why all the QB talk? maybe to not focus on the fact that we truly have some other glaring need. we also could use some of the 6th and 7th rounders to shore up our special teams units....there certainly was not many options for our return men. this is the first time in the post marino era that i do not feel we need to address the qb position in the off season. henne is the man and he will continue to develop. there are many teams in the nfl that would love to have him and lets remember that if he was working with about 75% of the nfl offenses he would have been one of the top 5 qb's in the afc last year. lets get him some weapons and he will shine. i also liked thigpen in college and thought he did well in kc in '08. i like him as a very good back up. white isn't going anywhere this off season, lets see if the coiaches can develop him in another way.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  18. dukane5

dukane5 New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA

Maybe he can be a Buffalo Bill! :yes:

19. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    This is why I think we skip drafting one this year. There are some decent prospects we could look at but we have many more pressing needs. I do expect us to revisit QB next year once we have a better feel for what White and Thigpen's long term upside is

20. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    You don't draft on needs late in the draft, so needs mean nothing when talking about drafting a QB

21. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I plan on it!

22. LikeUntoGod

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida

I'm not saying that it happens often but all 4 QBs taken in last year's 6th round made their teams on the 53 and where still there at the end of the year.

QB was not supposed to be a need this year and in one game it became one.