1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We should be more patient with the better athletes who have great work ethic.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Dec 11, 2013.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Players like Carroll and Clay...I guess we need to be more patient with the better athletes, I think why I underestimated them longterm is because those two players for their first two years were two guys not really knowing what they were doing in the scheme, just not sure of all their responsibilities, which in return inhibits their great athleticism and literally slows them down. Now once the mind gets comfortable, and the confidence improves, the athleticism begins to show up more and more, thus moving their bodies closer to point of making the play...You know some players that go thru that process of learning, and don't see the immediate results, go down the wrong path man, they start to slack on the physical training and just lose that focus to get thru it..it's the ones like Clay and Carroll who grind on their craft, so when the mind clicks, the great athleticism starts to show..we win...this is why work ethic coming out of college is so important.

I'm confident that we will see Dion Jordan do the same, which is pretty freakin exciting thinking about it.

ToddPhin and HugeFinFan like this.
  2. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I was dead wrong about Carroll. He was the last guy I expected to be be playing opposite Grimes this year. The play on the ball he made on that 3rd and long Sunday was huuuuge

Bpk, Disciple, djphinfan and 2 others like this.
  3. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Carroll will get a big test on Sunday as Brady has victimized him repeatedly over the past few seasons. We're going to need a really good game from Grimes, Carroll, and Wilson. Clemons has been solid. Jones has been off all season. Hopefully they all stay healthy and play well. Worried about having to play the rookies or Wheeler and Ellerbe having another bad game. Wheeler got burned for a 14 yard TD last Brady game and they got 2 more on the ground rushing.

Bpk, smahtaz and maynard like this.
  4. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    This is part of the thing when we talk about talent and evaluate personnel decisions. Guys like Clay and Carroll were always talented guys. Olivier Vernon is another good example. But they weren't always good or talented football players. You have to draft some of those guys and give them time to develop and trust in the coaching staff to put them into positions to succeed. I've long liked Carroll more than most people. I used to think ball skills were something a DB either had or he didn't, but I've come to believe it can be developed. Carroll has always done a pretty good job of running with his man, he just often failed to get turned around or find the ball. Now he is doing that. He's really made some outstanding plays in that regard.

Bpk and GMJohnson like this.
  5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Yes, that's what I was thinking, Carroll has great physical measurables, same with OV, Clay is a very talented athlete, jimmy is a good athlete, and Dion Jordan is a freak, I think he will be next in line if he works hard this offseason, and starts to understand his responsibilities..

It's just good that these guys seem to have the character to grind thru the mental pains so we can then see all that good stuff.

GMJohnson likes this.
  6. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I'd still be wary of Nolan Carroll, particularly if it comes down to the size of his contract as he is a free agent. I think he has definitely caught more flak that he deserves this season, but what he's done this season is something he has never even shown flashes of in previous years.

Charles Clay is a bit different. He has shown flashes admid inconsistency. His is a case of opportunity, IMO. If you look at his metrics from last year, you can get the idea that if given a chance he would produce.

djphinfan likes this.
  7. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Don Jones should end up being a stud then.

[video=youtube;WGUzmra3h_w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGUzmra3h_w[/video]

8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Not necessarily and I hope that's not how my point gets interpreted..there's a lot of folks who are athletic that can't make it at this level..

To me athleticism and movement talent are two different things..

For example..I thought that tyronne Matthieu was a blue chip player..the most talented movement player amongst any secondary player in the draft..movement being the key word...he's already a probowl talent at this level, when he understands everything, he'll only get better.

Don jones with that type of athleticism, and some of the flashes we've seen, has a chance to improve
    Greatly, we've seen some instincts in display, let the game come to him in a few years and lets see what that raw athleticism look like as a football player.

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Honey Badger tore an ACL

As for Carroll..not so sure, keep in mind our Secondary has outperformed it's prior talent level the past two years, perhaps a part of it is Coyle's scheme and understanding of Db's and coverages.

In Cinci, they even resurrected PacMan's career

10. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    You make some veery good points when you're not talking about Wallace or Ireland ;)

11. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
  12. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    by the same token those "great" athletes need to start producing early and often. In other words, they have to earn patience by producing.

OV is a good example of a player developing normally.
    Carroll is not.
    Clay is an outlier. He was a beast in college. Should've been used more from day one. I don't understand why it took 3 years with Clay.

13. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Why start now?

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    clay is why I started this thread, great athlete who played slow because he wasn't sure of his responsibilities, once he did, more confident, play speed speeds up...gotta wait for the click with these athletes..

Wait til it happens with our Qb...he's already starting to be consistent while he's dealing with the stuff upstairs.

15. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Then by year four Miller will be a beast.

16. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

This may side path things. Deej... but which players do you think are the best high-potential athletes coming out of college this draft class who are gonna be undervalued because they'll need some time to develop?

17. A13OVEAVERAGE

A13OVEAVERAGE Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    I'd add Jimmy Wilson and Don Jones to the list of hard working guys that'll pay dividends in the future. Be patient through the downs, because the ups are worth it. All heart squad Tannehill, Hartline, Clay, Carroll, Wilson, D Jones, Jordan, Jenkins.

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Lol..probably with miller.

19. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I don't know if it's really a major improvement or one that can now stay consistent. This team pass rushes very heavily and play more coverage schemes. I think it's no coincidence that our secondary has improved at the same time our run defense has fallen off a cliff.