1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weather In Central Florida

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by alen1, Jul 24, 2009.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Is anyone else keeping up with this?

I live in Central Florida and right now there are many funnel clouds that are being reported. There is a video on the local TV, channel eighteen for those who have it, and its showing a funnel cloud on the beach . I took a picture of the video on the TV with my phone, which I will try to get up on the internet soon. Basically, they are saying sixty to seventy mile per hour winds, one tornado spotted, significant wind damage in mobile home neighborhoods in Mandeline (sp?) (senior citizen's roof torn off the home but the home owner went on vacation for the first time in years and luckily had perfect timing), its moving at fifteen miles per hour and its headed east, toward New Smyrna Beach. It didn't hit this way but a person has been struck by lightning according to reports.

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

:omg: stay safe

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't have any Iphone or any fancy cell phone so this was the best I could do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

azfinfanmang likes this.
  4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Dang Alen,
    Those are some pretty large funnels.
    Might be a good idea to put non-parishable food, water and a flashlight in the center most room of your house brother...just in case :up:

BTW:
    Nothing wrong with those pics :up:

5. hammerbillsfan

hammerbillsfan Suffering Bills Fan

Dec 28, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    crazy stuff alen

stay safe! :up:

6. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    [​IMG]

azfinfanmang likes this.
  7. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

where do you get such fancy weather images cnc?

8. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Marty,

You gotta warn me when its an active-map brother. Brings my blackberry to its knees everytime :lol:

Looks pretty nasty. Does it become a hurricane when it goes to sea like that?

9. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
  10. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Hoooolllly CRAP.

I am really surprised there are no major injuries.

Not nearly as big as they are here (Nothing is :shifty: ) but still looks mucho dangerous none-the-less.

11. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    All you guys down there be careful and stay alert.
    Keep us up dated so we'll know your all safe.

12. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    At the Weather Underground. It is Nexrad radar and has a number of controls, I subscribe there and get a 40 image loop, the free one is 6. I use the 1 hour rain rate and total storm a lot too. They show me the strength of the storms. I save a lot of loops just because I find weather so interesting. I hype this site all the time as I feel it is the finest one stop source for weather on the net. I have the Miami radar qued up, the one I showed was Melbourne. I am at the outside edge of both but Miami is more accurate for me. I use Melbourne and Tampa to watch cold fronts but Miami most of the time.

I have great interest in hurricanes and Dr. Jeff Masters is a worthy forecaster. He has flown hurricane hunters and is currently in a series about the Hurricane Hunters that have been lost.

The 6 lost Hurricane Hunter missions, Part V: Typhoon Ophelia, 1958

I KNOW that that Dr Masters hurricane blog has saved lives, and honestly, it is a rich feeling to see that happen. He is also best buds with my other favorite Dr Chris Landsea at NOAA.

Here is the 1 hour rain rate for the same storm.. there is a better than 4 inch per hour event in this loop, that's pretty serious deluge;

[​IMG]

gafinfan and anlgp like this.
  13. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    yea, especially the heads..

azfinfanmang likes this.
  14. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Those things scare me to death.
    Their sometimes so sudden and no warning.

One hit here several years ago ( '90 or '91) while we were asleep. We woke up because of the tail gate on the truck closing and other flying debris. Our house was ok, but a lot of trees down and it took our dog house and dog out into the woods (he was ok, but terrified of storms afterwards).
    The lightening was blinding and constant and the noise was horrific. Hope I'm never that close again.

15. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!

Yall see where I live.

16. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Are you near there Dennis?

Nobody has answered my question.
    When a storm like this goes out to sea, does it usually become a hurricane?