1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wednesday Afternoon Discussion: NFL Teams and Social Media.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, Oct 14, 2015.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I wanted to see what you all thought of the way NFL teams use social media.

I have to be honest, I hate the way the Dolphins use social media, specifically FB. And I'm not trying to single out the Dolphins because I'm sure every other NFL team does what the Dolphins do.

I'm trying to figure out why I don't like it. I know what they are trying to do. They are using new social media to promote the team. It makes sense, and I can't blame them for it. But the stuff I see in my FB feed drives me crazy. Hashtags, cliches, doctored up pictures that make the players and coaches look like comic book characters, cheesy fluff interviews. Maybe this stuff shouldn't bother me but it does. I feel like sometimes they are a used car salesman trying to sell me a lemon. I like the team, ok? I've been following them since I was 4 years old, I don't need these fluffed up B.S. interviews, photos and hashtags to buy into the team anymore than I already do.

Then again I see fans really eat this **** up. Look how excited everyone is over the "Sleeping Giant" stuff. Maybe that bothers me too. That fans are buying into it.

It ties in with the issue I have with Stephen Ross. Before he was even worried about putting a winning team on the field he surrounded the team and stadium with fluff. Celebrity owners, clubs, whatever the **** fan vision is, etc.

Win some games then I can get excited about some of this crap. I just miss the old days where the product on the field deserved the fluffing. I'm sure if the team was 4-0 right now I'd be eating up this stuff too.

I know, I know. I should just unfollow and STFU. But what fun would that be?

Anyone have any different thoughts on the Dolphins or NFL teams in general and their use of social media?

2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Trying to do things like improve the stadium and drum up business is not mutually exclusive from trying to improve the team. They can be done at the same time.

As far as the social media stuff goes, advertising is advertising. Not sure what else they should be doing but trying to build up brand interest. I mean the department that takes care of that stuff is not the same department that deals with the football side of things, so its not like they are neglecting their duties to do something meaningless like Facebook posts.

The other thing I see a lot is that people confuse/conflate negative results with doing nothing. Say what you will about the results of Ross' decisions, but you can't act like he's not trying. I'm not saying him trying accounts for anything meaningful or that we should give him the benefit of the doubt for it or anything like that. I only bring it up, because once people realize these things are different, then maybe the useless complaints about worry about the product on the field first nonsense will stop.

NOTE:
    This post has no traps nor is it setting up anything. It does have an agenda however, and that is for us to stop acting like negative results are the same thing as doing nothing.

3. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'm really not trying to make any sort of correlation between Dolphins social media and the product on the field. One of the points I'm trying to make is that I understand my feelings about it aren't 100% rational, and they tend to fluctuate based on the results of the product on the field.

One more specific complain I do have about the current social media posts is I think they may ultimately be doing a disservice to Dan Campbell. They have been painting him as a hero who is riding in on his super jacked stallion to save the Miami Dolphins. I'm sure he doesn't mind the flattering portrayal, but isn't this setting up unreasonable expectations for some fans? We are all hoping he can do a good job as interim coach and maybe beyond, but this portrayal in social media as the cure-all who is going to come in and right all the wrongs with this team is a bit overboard in my humble opinion.

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Right, but in your first paragraph you admit to being irrational about this stuff. You're not alone or unique in that, so why should the social media team worry about setting expectations too high, when you've proven fans aren't really rational about this stuff to begin with? How can they possibly account for people being irrational in what they do?

5. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Well I'm making the age old mistake of complaining about something without really having a better idea of how they should be doing it. Personally - I'd prefer the Dolphins not cover themselves at all on social media. It's like a restaurant writing their own Yelp review. But it's not going to happen. So if they have to say something, of course they are only going to say fluff.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The closest I've come to that feeling is when people quote Andy Cohen.

MonstBlitz and Tone_E like this.
  7. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Honestly, the Dolphins have to market differently than the other 31 teams because of South Florida itself. You have to realize, the folks going to games these days are not long-time Dolphin fans since they just arrived from Cuba, Brazil and other South American countries. A good 60-70% of the fan-base moved away after Hurricane Andrew in the 90's and the South Americans came in with big pockets and even bigger dreams. The town I grew up in and loved 25-30 years ago no longer exists; it's simply a memory.

If you look at any other team in the league minus maybe New Orleans, the same families that packed out stadiums in the 90's are still packing them out today. They're smarter football towns as well with a heck of a lot more loyalty, so the reporting is definitely different on a lot of levels. But when the Miami Dolphins post on their site or social media, they're not necessarily marketing to us...because most of us aren't ticket buyers anymore. That's the same reason we have discos and celebrity owners...we think it's ridiculous, but the Cubans are all for it....because they're not football fans to begin with.

Why do you think the Marlins (baseball) got taxpayer money but the Fins didn't? South Americans love baseball...and Miami is practically a South American county these days.

So unlike the original poster, I do not follow on social media or even look at the team hype...because it's dumbed down to something a non-fan could digest and take interest in. It's not for us though, the hardcore idiots who have tried to stand tall for 30-50 years, and it likely never will be again. In fact, it's probably only a matter of time before the stadium announcers do everything in Spanish. It sucks for us ex South Florida natives but it is what it is.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  8. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    We're all getting old reaaaalLy fast.

xphinfanx likes this.
  9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/celebrities-teach-companies-social-media-040100004.html

MonstBlitz likes this.
  10. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Can Miami please get rid of the ****ing #stronger together bull****? They should have flushed that turd down the toilet with Joe Philbin. After tonight's game, all through my FB feed, scoring updates from this massacre with "# Stronger Together" front and center. There's a lot to be mad at tonight, but if I could throw a turd at anyone it would be the Dolphins social media department.

11. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Can he strip the digital walls of #Stronger Together? I've had it. Whose with me? Hop on the destroy #Stronger Together bandwagon!