Week 12 - Dolphins at Commanders

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatik, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    The Miami Dolphins, after beating the New York Jets on Black Friday, have over a week to prepare for their Week 12 matchup – a battle with the Washington Commanders at FedEx Field.

According to BetMGM, Miami has opened as a nine-point favorite for this game. They’re also favorites on the money line, as their victory is set at -450. The over/under for the contest is 49.5 points.

Mike McDaniel’s team has won their two games since their bye week, as they’ve allowed just 13 points in both weeks. Their defense has been suffocating, while the other side of the ball is still looking to put it all together after a few down weeks.

Washington has had a very up-and-down season, going 4-8 through their first 12 matchups. They’ve lost their last three to the Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants and Seattle Seahawks. After their loss on Thanksgiving, they fired defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio, so it will be interesting to see how things change on that side of the ball with head coach Ron Rivera taking over defensive play-calling duties.

This matchup between the Dolphins and Commanders will take place on Sunday, Dec. 3 at 1:00 p.m. ET.

danmarino and KeyFin like this.
  2. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Early forecast. Upper 50's, 50% chance of rain.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Sounds like armstead is gonna give it a go

Be fun to watch Tua deal with his issue right now

Let’s see if Chubb and Gink and ogbah can wreak havoc against a inferior opponent

danmarino likes this.
  4. FinFaninBuffalo

FinFaninBuffalo Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    My sons (ages 20 and 29) and I will be there! Current forecast is mid to upper 50s, light winds, and rain ending well before game time! Great football weather.

This will be our view:
    upload_2023-11-29_8-41-53.png

resnor, danmarino, HULKFish and 3 others like this.
  5. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Dolphins are #1 at explosive plays
    Redskins are #1 at giving up explosive plays.

This has fun blowout potential.

6. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    The Dolphins are going to be what gets Rivera fired.

I can see a 40 burger EASY

Springveldt, KeyFin and dolphin25 like this.
  7. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Hoping for one of those blowouts and not a Two Time Turnover Tua.

resnor and HULKFish like this.
  8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I am fine with the turnovers. Still getting the blowouts with them

FinFaninBuffalo likes this.
  9. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    against terrible teams. Pretty sure coaching staff and Tua aren't happy with them.

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Washington is a terrible team.

Calling Tua sloppy shows you don't understand football

11. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    LOL OK. Most people don't like turnovers, but you know more then all the coaches ever. Thank goodness we have you posting on here.

resnor likes this.
  12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Good thing you are here and know more than McDaniel.

13. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    McDaniel has clearly stated turnovers need to be cleared up and so has Tua. You seem to be the one claiming to know more then either of them.

resnor likes this.
  14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Where did I claim that? Are yo drunk?

15. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    The VAST MAJORITY of Tua's throws should not be thrown by the average QB- we fire into double/triple coverage regularly and it's a recipe for disaster in most cases. In this offense though, with Tua's sniper-like accuracy, he's encouraged to thread the needle and he has to have that confidence to fire.

McDaniel knows that those passes are dangerous but it's a high risk, high reward offense where the ball is coming out ultra fast. If he says, double check the safety or the roaming LB before releasing this throw...then the timing is no longer there and Tua takes the sack. So the coaches can certainly call out bad plays, but I don't think they can be too critical given what they're asking Tua to do with a porous line and a 2.5 second window to throw. He has to fire, even before that window is open sometimes...that's where the magic of this offense comes from.

Would we rather see less INT's? Absolutely. But not at the expense of slowing down this offense.

resnor, danmarino, MonstBlitz and 3 others like this.
  16. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    This is 1000% correct. Most people simply don't recognize that there are trade offs with everything. Want fewer sacks? Max protect or just throw dump offs.... Want fewer INTs? Throw nothing but safe throws or take sacks....

danmarino likes this.
  17. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Great seats. Never been to that stadium.

dolphin25 likes this.
  18. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    If Tommy DeVito can torch the Washington Commanders for three touchdowns, one shudders to think what Tua Tagovailoa and the Miami Dolphins will do to them this weekend.

Over the past month, the Commanders are one of — if not the — worst defenses in football. Over that stretch, they’re 29th in defensive EPA (.101), 26th in EPA per dropback (.158), and 28th in EPA per rush (-.025). Certainly, the Commanders didn’t just now get bad at defense.

Head coach Ron Rivera fired coordinator Jack Del Rio last week in no small part because Washington’s D had allowed an average of 33.5 points in their eight losses.

But the bottom has fallen out in the month since the Commanders dealt pass rushers Chase Young and Montez Sweat at the trade deadline. (Their replacements in the starting lineup — Casey Toohill and James Smith-Williams, have a combined six sacks on the year.)

Miami Dolphins Should Feast on Washington Commanders Defense

In their last four games, the Commanders have given up 6.4 yards per play (league average is 5.2), 5.1 yards per carry (4.2), 7.8 yards per pass attempt (6.5), and an opposing passer rating of 107.4 (90).

The Commanders do have 10 sacks in that span, but that stat is hollow. Nine of those 10 came against the dreadful Giants offensive line — a game that Washington still somehow lost.

Washington, on the year, ranks last in defensive EPA (.076). They will become the fourth bottom-six EPA opponent the Dolphins have faced in 2023.

MORE: Will Terron Armstead Play vs. the Commanders?

Against the other three, Miami has averaged 49.3 points, 562 yards per game, and 8.4 yards per play.

Those numbers are absolutely astounding.

But even if the Dolphins fall short of those averages, 40 points, 400+ yards, and 7+ yards per play are absolutely obtainable — particularly if running back De’Von Achane returns from a knee injury that’s bothered him for the better part of two months.

“You obviously want to be playing your best football at this time,” said Dolphins running back Jeff Wilson Jr. “Everything really has to be on point.”

[​IMG]
    Penang Island, Malaysia-Singapore drop off
    Ad
    TourRadar
    “… As we keep going, it’s not going to get easier, especially when we get into the postseason, the playoffs,” he added. “Those games are going to be the teams we’re facing, and it’s going to be win or go home. So to get in that mindset already right now, still with stuff that we have to accomplish and can accomplish through this season, we’re just getting ready for it.”

danmarino, KeyFin and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  19. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    I've been three times before. Saw the Dolphins in 2015 and the Bills this season. I was also there for a Premier League double header in July. Not a great stadium but great to see the Dolphins live.

danmarino and KeyFin like this.
  20. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    while a few of Tua's INTs were just bad judgement, most of them just come with the offense we're running. When you're throwing the ball so quickly and with anticipation that the WRs will be open when the ball gets there, there are naturally going to be some INTs. We have a very aggressive offense for the first time in eons. The INTs will happen, just hope we don't get any more pick 6's. The odds of winning a game when you give up a defense or ST touchdown are extremely low (last I heard it was in 10-20% range).

danmarino and dolphin25 like this.
  21. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    I want to see Tuaman have that fire in his eyes. He doesn't always have that. First game against the Chargers he did. Obviously against the Broncos he did. I'd like to see him get to that firey energy stage for every game. May just come with experience. Not to be confused with salty, lol! That's just dumb. Subtle confidence with the eye of the tiger is good.

22. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Its the fumbles and bad snaps that have me more concerned then the INT's.

23. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    The bad snaps aren't all on him. I recall maybe 2 that have been his fault? the rest were on C Williams. I do agree that they need to be minimized, especially against the best teams we face.

danmarino likes this.
  24. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020

JJ_79 likes this.
  25. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Notice who's #2 on this list:
    [​IMG]

26. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    That Sam Howell guy looks intriguing. Their D sucks big time though…

Fishhead and dolphin25 like this.
  27. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014

Where did I claim to know more then McDaniel?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2023
  28. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    Was that the case for any of the last 4 interceptions? Pretty sure McDaniel is not asking him to throw into double and triple coverage.

resnor likes this.
  29. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    odd how the QB himself is really upset with the turnovers. Have to admit this is a new one for me after watching football for 50 years. Turnovers are now a good thing. Amazing how the game has changed.

resnor likes this.
  30. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    Not sure why you are having trouble understanding. Nobody said turnovers are a good thing.

Let me try to simplify it for you with an analogy. Car accidents are a bad thing. We all want no car accidents. You could absolutely eliminate all car accidents by eliminating driving. That would not be a good thing. That doesn't mean car accidents are good. It also doesn't mean that if you cause a car accident, you shouldn't be upset with yourself. Clear?

INTs are a bad thing. We all want no INTs. You could absolutely eliminate all INTs by never throwing the ball, or play such a conservative offense that it becomes ineffective. That would not be a good thing. That doesn't mean INTs are good. It also doesn't mean that if the QB throws an INT he shouldn't be upset with himself. Clear?

resnor likes this.
  31. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    you were just defending turnovers and implying they don't matter. Goodness!

In the history of football winning the turnover battle has been one of the biggest reasons for winning a game.

Pretty positive car insurance companies do not say, "Oh, it is OK you keep having car accidents. " LOL

32. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    McDaniel is asking him to throw farther down field than anyone with a quicker release time than anyone in more complicated offense than anyone behind a suspect pass blocking OL. I noticed that you ignored the fact that McDaniel took the blame for the pick 6 because of a bad play call.

resnor likes this.
  33. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    Where. EXACTLY. Provide the quote.

34. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    "This is 1000% correct. Most people simply don't recognize that there are trade offs with everything. Want fewer sacks? Max protect or just throw dump offs.... Want fewer INTs? Throw nothing but safe throws or take sacks...."

So, you are saying the interceptions were not Tua's fault? Neither of them were down field though correct?

I get it, you believe Tua does nothing wrong.

Coach would most always take the blame, that is what good coaches do. However, coach did not lob the ball over there. Did you excuse Mike White when he threw pretty much the exact same pick 6?

35. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    "This is 1000% correct. Most people simply don't recognize that there are trade offs with everything. Want fewer sacks? Max protect or just throw dump offs.... Want fewer INTs? Throw nothing but safe throws or take sacks...."

That was your response into the comment about it is OK as long as it does not slow down the defense.

36. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    highlight the words "sacks don't matter"

37. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    dude, you do not even know what you are saying. No one commented about sacks, you were responding to a statement about interceptions.

Would we rather see less INT's? Absolutely. But not at the expense of slowing down this offense.

38. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    quote where I wrote "INTs don't matter". should be easy

39. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    again, you don't even understand what you say. I stated months ago your reading comprehension was weak, but did not realize it also applied to your own words.

If a poster says, not concerned about interceptions as i dont want the offense slowed down, and you say "I agree 1000%" What else do you think that means?

40. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He’s also out of shape at this point, I know what his body looked like at camp and I know what it looks like now

This dude better get his **** together cause right now he’s just milking us, and yes I think he speaks very well when he’s in front of a camera so we all want to believe he is who he says he is.