Week 12 - Dolphins at Commanders

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatik, Nov 28, 2023.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    There was a stretch when we were known as the Road Warriors. We were winning every road Gand and lost all of our home games.

Sometimes it happens.

2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    It's even more entertaining seeing people willing to defend him despite his obvious agenda of trying to find anything bad to say about Tua, even if it's only indirectly. TDK pointed out the recent goalpost moving, but the list of goalpost moving by StaleTacos is many times that length if you just go back to 2022. Agenda is obvious, and it should continued to be pointed out.

Springveldt and danmarino like this.
  3. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Trevor’s getting better. The team itself is getting better but the only question though is what is his, and the Jaguars ceiling?

Can they get even better or is this as good as THEY can play?

Only time will tell.

As for Herbert, I think his ceiling has been reached with with the offense he has. Whether a different offensive scheme would help him reach a higher level, I couldn’t say.

4. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    To be clear.. while that year 4 statistical threshold is still in the future, it's looking real bad for Lawrence right now from a purely statistics points of view, and stats are really good predictors. Remember I started pointing out how something didn't look right in Herbert's statistics mid year 2? Well, same with Lawrence. Yes he has another year before it (statistically) becomes extremely unlikely he'll ever sustain elite play (doesn't exclude an odd elite season here or there of course), but it's already pretty unlikely as of now.

Herbert with near certainty, and Lawrence highly likely, are just good QBs not elite.

danmarino likes this.
  5. StaleTacos

StaleTacos Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2022
    This is hilarious because within this post, YOU are the one moving the goalposts.

I said Tua would struggle against the Jets defense, he did. END. Field goal kicked. It's gooooood!

NOW, you want to move the goalposts and cherrypick other QBs that have also struggled against the Jets defense, and ignore the ones that played well. That's the definition of moving the goalposts.

dolphin25 and resnor like this.
  6. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    It's all part of his silly game.
    Remember the children's game Hide and Seek ? When the person hiding feels all giddy and giggles to himself when no one can find him ?
    Well, this is the NFL forum version of that exact game.
    Except ,a few people know EXACTLY where he is.

7. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    That’s not moving a goal post. That’s stating a FACT!!!

You have, in one way shape of form for the last 2 years been overly critical of Tua…STUPIDLY critical of Tua. You have in one way shape or form have said Tua isn’t near as good as Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, Hurts, et al.

I merely stated a FACT that these quarterbacks you tout as being far superior to Tua played WORSE against the Jets defense than Tua did and yet, they’re still far superior than the Samoan Sniper. You can’t even have the grace and dignity to acknowledge the simple fact that he didn’t play against them that badly, because God forbid you speak ill of any of those other quarterbacks.

This team could make a deep playoff run…
    This team could make it to the Super Bowl…
    This team could win the Super Bowl…
    Tua could be named Super Bowl MVP…

And you would STILL be stupidly critical of him.

I do give you credit in one aspect…you have this innate ability to get under my skin and as much as I attempt to avoid your posts, I fall for it more often than not.

Congratulations.

KeyFin, Springveldt and danmarino like this.
  8. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    No.

Do you think Hurts, Allen, Mahomes, et al, aren't good QB's because they had lesser games than Tua against the Jets? The only way Tua can be good in your eyes is to do something other elite QB's have failed to do. If Tua plays great, it's the WR's. If Tua plays average and below, it's his fault. That's called moving the goalposts. Actually, it's worse. It's called ignorant trolling.

You have a preordained opinion of Tua and nothing will change that. Why? Because you're not a Miami Dolphins fan.

RGF, Springveldt and resnor like this.
  9. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    This is really a bizarre season for this site.

dolphin25, KeyFin, JJ_79 and 3 others like this.
  10. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I agree. Dolphins are 9-3, seem to have found a true franchise QB, and we have posters doing the utmost possible to find negatives about the team's chances and about our QB. Very bizarre.

But winning cures all (hopefully).

KeyFin, Springveldt and danmarino like this.
  11. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    It won't cure anything for fans of other teams. They'll just double down on their seething and trolling.

KeyFin, RGF and cbrad like this.
  12. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    No. That's the definition of moving the goalposts. That's changing the argument. That's moving the discussion. That's changing the subject.

I said Tua would struggle against the Jets. He did struggle against the Jets. That's about the end of it. END.

Anything outside of that is moving the goalposts and changing the discussion. Comparing Tua to other QBs that are much more accomplished against that same team is moving the goalposts, by definition.

Sceeto and resnor like this.
  13. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Showing things in context isn't moving the goalposts. Showing a person that their expectations of Tua are biased and based off of an irrational hate of him because they're not a Dolphins fan is not moving the goalpost. It's showing that person that we all realize how **EDIT** they are and that they are trolling.

14. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    243 passing , 1 TD and 2 Picks is struggling? I would say that a 300 yards passing is a great game. So 250 would be an average game. Under 200 yards and Zero TD's would be considered struggling to me. What's your definition of struggling, average and great?

15. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    He had a 77.5 rating. I think it's fine to say he "struggled" given that. Doesn't change the massive goalpost moving by StaleTacos over time.

Also, has anyone noticed that the Giants are now #9 in passer rating allowed, while the Jets are #5? Not that big of a difference and Tua certainly played very well against the Giants. Couple this with Tua having already demonstrated in 2022 that he can play well against good defenses, both by points allowed and by passer rating allowed, and no one should be pushing this false narrative today.

danmarino likes this.
  16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Giants game still amazes me how the Dolphins lost the turnover battle 3-0 and still won by 15

dolphin25 and danmarino like this.
  17. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    How is expecting Tua to play well against good teams biased?

Purdy lit up the Eagles with a 148.8 rating on Sunday. Tua put up a 87.5 rating. It's like you are completely ignoring good QBs that have played well against good teams. Tua hasn't. That's a problem. He'll have a chance to change that narrative the last 3-4 games of the season.

18. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    True, but context matters. I mean, QB's aren't playing in a vacuum. I see nothing wrong with adjusting expectations based off of what other player have done against the same opponent. RottenTacos wants us to believe that Tua is bad because he played BETTER against the Jets than Mahomes played against the Jets.

19. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah Giants are #31 in points per game. To emphasize how bad their offense is, outside of 2 games where they scored 31 points, in the other 10 games the most they scored is 17!!!! Hard to win when you have that kind of inept offense.

danmarino likes this.
  20. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah, and Jets are giving up 78.6 rating to QBs this year, so Tua played average against the Jets. He just "struggled" relative to his otherwise elite play. Nothing wrong with that, happens to many elite QBs, as you and others are pointing out.

danmarino likes this.
  21. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Moving the goalposts again?

So if Purdy plays better than Tua against like opponents that means "Purdy good, Tua bad".

If Tua plays better than Mahomes against like opponents that means "Tua bad."

You you realize how stupid that sounds?

RGF and invid like this.
  22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I think it also shows how stats do not tell the entire story. I don't think Tua struggled against the Jets. He made 1 terrible throw and then one throw that didn't matter that went for interceptions. The rest of the game he played pretty well. Then the game was in hand and he didn't have to throw the ball a lot.

danmarino likes this.
  23. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    You have trouble with reading comprehension, you just stated "Showing a person that their expectations of Tua are biased." Expecting Tua to play well against good teams isn't biased. Good QBs do that as I displayed with Purdy.

Mahomes is having a crap season, but comparing the two is as dumb as it gets, and there's probably not a person breathing except maybe you, that would take Tua over Mahomes.

24. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    The irony here is as thick as your stories.

No one is comparing Tua to Mahomes. I'm comparing their play against one team to get a better understanding on what is good vs bad play.

Tua has played extremely well, for almost 2 seasons, against NFL teams. Those are good teams. He's been an MVP candidate both years and in the top 5 for nearly every passer stat there is. Last year the Dolphins made the playoffs. This year they look like they're winning their division. He's top 3 in yards, passer rating, TD's, Y/A, Y/C, etc..etc..etc

But he had a subpar game (albeit better than most QB's) against the Jets, just like every single QB has done this year, and somehow he's not good.

Yeah, you're not a Dolphins' fan.

25. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I don't know, I'm not so sure it's so crazy to take the player having an MVP caliber season and who seems to be getting better every year over a player that's peaked. Granted, that peak is pretty damn good, but Mahomes is also a weird looking weasel with a ****ty sideshow (brother, wife) so add me to the list of potentially nuts who would take Tua over Mahomes.

Tuanon4Life and danmarino like this.
  26. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    You think Mahomes has peaked at 28, or just is taking a step back because he doesn't have receivers?

27. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    So QB rating is "THE" number to say about a specific game? If so, what's the threshold for bad, average, good and a great game from a QBR point of view?

28. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    No. What you are doing is cherrypicking Maholmes against the Jets in a season where he doesn't have receivers while ignoring the QBs like Allen who put up a good game, Prescott, and Wilson. Even Mac Jones had a better rating than Tua against the Jets. Unfortunately, the sample of Tua playing against good passing defenses isn't very large, but none have been good. He'll have that chance the last 4 games of the season to change the narrative.

Sceeto and resnor like this.
  29. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I think both things are true. Saying he's peaked is not meant to be an insult. He's one of, if not the best QBs in the league. A lot of great QBs peaked by 28 or sooner, it's not a knock, it's just saying they hit the top of their game quickly.

Edited to add: In fact, I'd say most professional athletes in any sport have hit their peak before 28 years old. 28 for a professional athlete is not a young age.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    resnor likes this.
  30. Tuanon4Life

Tuanon4Life Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2022
    I watched Mahomes throw a bad costly int with the game on the line last night. Something is definitely different about him this year. Honestly I think the clown show surrounding him is starting to weigh him down. Between his idiot brother (surprisingly) sexually assaulting women, his attention seeking wife choreographing high fives with Mr. Pfizer's 5/10 girlfriend, and his best WR setting records in Miami he's just got one too many distractions. Part of what I love about having Tua as our franchise QB is the no nonsense straight up high character he brings to the team. Not to say Mahomes doesn't have high character but his inner circle that comes with him is trash.

dolphin25, danmarino and resnor like this.
  31. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    Here's a list of QBs that had a higher passer rating than Tua against the Eagles defense:

Purdy
    Kirk Cousins
    Sam Howell
    Dak
    Sam Howell (again)
    Mac Jones
    Matthew Stafford

32. Tuanon4Life

Tuanon4Life Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2022
    Washington was top 10 against the pass before the game yesterday and ranked very low against the run. What Tua did to the Redskins yesterday was surgical.

resnor likes this.
  33. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    Top 10 based on what metric? They are literally dead last right now in passer rating against (106) on the season. They are an awful passing defense.

resnor likes this.
  34. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    He is not a Dolphin fan. Stop taking the bait.

djphinfan and danmarino like this.
  35. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Ohhhhh...so it's OK for Mahomes to be average without WR's as long as he's elite with them? Gotcha

Does your back get tired from carrying those goalposts or do you just strap it to the point on your head and drag it?

You're not a Dolphin's fan.

36. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Whether he is or isn't a fan is immaterial to having a discussion.

I don't understand what is going on nowadays on this site.

It's like finheaven was when we all decided to make this site.

dolphin25 and Sceeto like this.
  37. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Sure it is. Outlandish takes need to be called out. Someone saying that Tua is good only because of his WR's and then in the same breath claiming that Mahomes is "having a trash year" due to no WR's deserves to be called out.

I don't know about you, but I don't think someone pretending to be a Dolphins fan should be here. If fans of other teams want to be here that's fine, but pretending to root for the team that this board is named for while bashing them with ridiculous drivel, is trolling.

djphinfan likes this.
  38. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Trolling people into a discussion isn't really a discussion

It would be fine if he owned what team he liked. Going to a board of Dolphin fans to troll Dolphin fans while hiding your team is straight up trash.

djphinfan and danmarino like this.
  39. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Holy narrative switcheroo.

danmarino likes this.
  40. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    LOL. No. I'm saying you are cherrypicking Mahomes in a season where he's bad, doesn't have receivers, and are trying to find meaning, while ignoring the players that played well against the Jets. Ignoring players that played well against the Eagles as my post indicated above. Ignoring the players that played well against the Chiefs. Tua played poorly against all them. He hasn't played well against good defensive teams.

Tua has played exactly ONE team (Jets) in the top 10 in passer rating against this season. ONE!!

He'll face 3 to end the season, and Buffalo. I'm sure you are all be hooting and hollering about Tua's greatness when he faces another dogcrap defensive team in Tenneesee, who is 30th out of 32 in passer rating against. But some of you are going to get a much needed kick in the teeth when the reality of playing good defenses occurs at the end of this season.