Week 4 - Dolphins at Bills

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatik, Sep 26, 2023.

1. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    The Bills defense forced five turnovers and had nine sacks in Sunday’s rout of the Commanders, but there wasn’t much time for head coach Sean McDermott and his staff to enjoy that performance before they turned their attention to Week Four.

Divisional games are always crucial and this weekend finds the Dolphins coming to town off of their offensive explosion against the Broncos. They posted 726 yards in a 70-20 win and McDermott said that the window to celebrate a win gets “shorter and shorter or smaller and smaller” with a team like that coming to town.

Speed is a hallmark of Miami’s offense under head coach Mike McDaniel with players like Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, De’Von Achane, and Raheem Mostert pressuring defenses. The Bills saw that attack three times last season — Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa missed the playoff matchup between the teams — and McDermott said Monday that he thinks the Dolphins are pushing things even further than they did in 2022.

“It seems like they added to it this offseason, right?,” McDermott said, via the team’s website. “So, very good skill. Tua is throwing the ball extremely well. And their schematics are almost revolutionary in what they do. Coach McDaniel is very creative and does a lot of things to get you out of position on defense.”

Sunday’s game will feature more than the Bills defense against the Dolphins offense, but it feels like that’s going to be the crucial matchup to determine who gets a leg up in the race for the AFC East title.

2. DolPhinPhan7

DolPhinPhan7 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    I don't suspect the Dolphins will have trouble scoring, they certainly didn't in the regular season game last year in the Snow. Maybe not 70, but 30 plus is easily attainable. Washington was moving the ball well against Buffalo, but kept turning the ball over.

Josh Allen is the wildcard here. He could suck, or he could win the game for them as he did in that same December game. His incompetence also lost the Bills that Week 3 game in Miami. It also damn near lost them the playoff game against Skylar Thompson.

dolphin25 likes this.
  3. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm more worried about our defense getting exposed this week. We still have some issues. Howard is going to be picked on so I hope he is healthy and rested. Im worried about us blitzing more this week and Allen taking off and running for 75 yards and a score.

HULKFish and dolphin25 like this.
  4. DolPhinPhan7

DolPhinPhan7 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Never forget.

Dorfdad, KeyFin and Tuanon4Life like this.
  5. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    What's going to win this game for us is if our defense can keep Allen in the pocket. Either that or taking our chances on winning a shootout.

6. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    We are going to take these fools to the woodshed. With both the running game and passing game going they will have no idea how to stop this offense. 2 or 3 stops and the game will be out of hand at that point. Especially if Waddle plays. No game tape on him from last week.

7. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    again not as worried about the offense our defense is still a work in progress and this will be the best offense we faced. We have to run and wear their defense out. I don’t think our d is ready to carry the load yet

dolphin25 likes this.
  8. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    That's the thing- they have to shut down both. Which means bringing the safeties up into the box...which they absolutely can't do. So they let us run until they can't anymore, and they creep the safeties up as they watch Tyreek dance in the end zone. It's a no-win situation...you can't stop our run game and passing attack.

I don't think this will be an "easy win", but I do think we win this game comfortably. Maybe 34-20 or something like that? I just can't see them shutting us down and I don't see them matching us point for point unless Allen has an MVP-like day.

dolphin25 likes this.
  9. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Fangio was brought in for specifically this game. I expect some new wrinkles this weekend.

HULKFish likes this.
  10. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I like your confidence.

Phil Hutchings likes this.
  11. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

It doesn't have to carry the load, it just needs to be average. If they can force Buffalo to have 3 or 4 pointless possessions I think we win the game.

dolphin25 likes this.
  12. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Not worried one bit. The Dolphins will lose a game eventually but not this week.

Rick 1966 and dolphin25 like this.
  13. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    You know, I was a little concerned about this upcoming game but after a few days to digest the Broncos game, something dawned on me.

When the Dolphins were up 49-13, McDaniel pulled the starters. Pulled Tua, pulled Hill, pulled Moestert and if I recall correctly pulled Achane (I think)…and the Dolphins 2nd and 3rd stringers still scored 21 points! Our 2nd and 3rd stringers score more points than the Broncos did all day!

So the question becomes…who’s gonna stop us?

Im pretty confident after taking a few days to look at all of the post game to be able and say we’re going to beat Buffalo…and do so comfortably.

I’m saying 41-24…with the defense scoring a touchdown on one of a few Allen turnovers.

KeyFin and Striking like this.
  14. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    The Bills have a defense and the Broncos do not. The Bills have an offense and the Patriots do not. It will be an interesting game. If we score 41 against the Bills, Super Bowl talk is legit.

HULKFish and Hooligan like this.
  15. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    First time in a long time I feel good about their chances to win in Buffalo.

dolphin25 likes this.
  16. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    This is about as even as it's been for the past 5 years:
    [​IMG]

17. Hooligan

Hooligan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Costa Rica
    Achane stayed in for a little bit. One of the TDs was White lateral back to Achane for a TD.

18. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    One game at a time. And BTW the Bills have beat the Jets the Raiders and the Commanders. It's not like they've played any juggernauts. Were going to take them down 42 -24.

dolphin25 and Striking like this.
  19. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Buffalo (in Buffalo), Philly and KC are the games I think will be the most difficult, especially with Philly and KC also being away games.
    Given that I live just outside of Philly, I REALLY want Miami to beat the Eagles, or it’s going to be a very unpleasant week afterwards.

dolphin25 likes this.
  20. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    So the 2 playoff and Superbowl winner teams. Not much of a limb there. LoL.

21. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    They lost to the Jest, but that don’t mean anything for next game. I’m interested how we fare against the Jills, their D seems for real and let’s see wich Allen and what kind of Miami D will show up. Win would be awesome, don’t remember us starting 4-0 like ever, but I think it will be a close game division games always are. I’m pumped for Sunday already!

Hooligan likes this.
  22. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    2 covers guys have to deal with hamstring and knee issue. Were going to blow them out this week to take a 3 game lead in the division over everyone....

The Bills defense was short a few key players as they kicked off their practice week on Wednesday. Edge rusher Leonard Floyd missed practice along with safeties Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer. Floyd is listed with an ankle injury, Hyde has a hamstring issue, and Poyer is dealing with a knee problem.

All three players were part of Buffalo’s outstanding defensive effort against the Commanders in Week Three and may be getting some rest in order to be as sharp as possible against the Dolphins this week. Given the quality of the Miami offense, Bills fans will be hoping that’s the case.

Tackle Ryan Bates (ankle) and defensive back Siran Neal (ankle) were also out of practice. Cornerback Taron Johnson (hip) was the team’s only limited participant

dolphin25 and Hooligan like this.
  23. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    KC game is in Germany so pretty lucky break for a road game

dolphin25 likes this.
  24. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Dolphins left tackle Terron Armstead made his 2023 debut in last Sunday’s 70-20 victory over the Broncos, but he wasn’t on the field for Wednesday’s practice. Miami’s injury report noted that Armstead (back/ankle/knee) did not participate in the day’s session. Armstead has been listed on the injury report for the last three weeks with the same issues.

Linebacker Jaelan Phillips (oblique), center Connor Williams (groin), receiver River Cracraft (shoulder), and receiver Erik Ezukanma (neck) also did not practice.

Running back Salvon Ahmed (groin), safety DeShon Elliott (ankle/groin), tight end Tyler Kroft (back), and tight end Durham Smythe (hamstring) were all limited.

Receiver Jaylen Waddle (concussion), tight end Julian Hill (ankle), and cornerback Eli Apple (neck/gameday concussion protocol evaluation) were all full participants. Head coach Mike McDaniel said earlier on Wednesday that if all goes well with Waddle, he could clear concussion protocol.

KeyFin likes this.
  25. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    I would counter with all three defenses we played sucked. Buffalo doesn’t

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
    dolphin25 likes this.
  26. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    And I’m going to counter that Buffalo nearly lost the playoff game against us…with our 3rd string quarterback at the helm.

Buffalo’s defense didn’t stop the Jests…and they beat the Redskins and the Raiders. Not NFL powerhouses.

Some here are saying this game is going to the Dolphins first true test. Bunk that…this game is going to be Buffalo’s first true test.

They’re going to fail this test. If they stop the pass, they’re not going to be able to stop the run…and vice versa.

We’re all going to be on cloud 9 come Sunday evening. Bank on it.

Striking, Finatik, dolphin25 and 3 others like this.
  27. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Mocha Hyde has threatened Tyreek hill

He says “ let him come over the middle and I’ll send him to the tent”

I like this kinda party

28. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I thought that was Micah Parsons.

djphinfan likes this.
  29. Tuanon4Life

Tuanon4Life Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2022
    Hyde missed practice Wednesday with a hamstring. He'll be toast trying to cover Hill.

dolphin25 likes this.
  30. Tuanon4Life

Tuanon4Life Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2022
    I really hope you're right. As a Miami fan I personally feel like this game is heads or tails... until I imagine being a Bills fan. Miami is definitely the better team right now. It won't be easy but I feel like we can do this.

dolphin25 likes this.
  31. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    interesting you say that. Watched a preview of bills game on NFL. The dude previewing said the Dolphins had never started 4-0... I'm like gosh wonder how they finished 17-0 then??? He also said the Dolphins had never been to the Super Bowl without Marino.. I was like how the heck do these people get hired?

KeyFin and Hooligan like this.
  32. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    9 sacks and 5 turnovers in one game by their defense is not terrible.

33. Springveldt

Then you would counter wrong, the Patriots are a top 5 defence considering they are ranked 5th in yards, 5th in passing yards, 9th in rushing yards and 9th in scoring while having faced both the Dolphins and the Eagles in those 3 games. By the end of the season the Patriots defence will be higher ranked than Buffalo.

Even while making offensive mistakes the Dolphins should still have scored 30+ while coming off a west coast road game. Have some faith, watch them score 35 on Sunday.

VManis, Dorfdad and dolphin25 like this.
  34. Springveldt

He was making fun of himself after he said last week that the Dolphins hadn't started 3-0 since the 90's (completely forgetting about last season) which everyone pointed out in the comments.

Also Daniel Jeremiah seems to pick against the Dolphins most weeks, he even picked the Broncos last week.

dolphin25 likes this.
  35. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    I didn’t say we never started 4-0 and the last time we did it was 1995, been a long time.

36. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    October 1st 1995 is the last time the Dolphins started a season 4-0.

dolphin25 likes this.
  37. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I know you did not, the guy doing the game preview said it.

JJ_79 likes this.
  38. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    For all of you who are optimistic, you have every right. You're making good arguments and I hope you all end up being right!

I'm not pessimistic about this game, I just view it as a coin flip. If it were in Miami I'd be leaning much more optimistic instead of neutral. I don't have any sound arguments to be neutral - just to say I've been in attendance at too many games in that stadium where the Dolphins should win, but a couple of things go wrong, the crowd gets into it and the game slips away.

One thing I can tell you all living in the heart of Western NY - Bills fans are afraid!

KeyFin, Dorfdad, Hooligan and 2 others like this.
  39. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I dont know...we won on the road in Los Angeles...we won on the road in Foxborough. Neither are away team friendly.

dolphin25 and Tuanon4Life like this.
  40. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Can't really agree with LA. There were a lot of Dolphin fans. Wasn't too far off from being a neutral site.

Rick 1966 and dolphin25 like this.