1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WEEK 7: Solutions to Victory

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by HULKFish, Oct 21, 2010.

1. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Yes, I'm likely going the whole season. Please calm your enthusiasm...

This will likely be the most physical game of the season to this point, as well as the type of game Sparano and Ireland have worked to recognize the value. Sparano will be preaching toughness and discipline this week, more than normal. Going 0-3 at home is something everyone in the organization should have a hard time stomaching.

That defense of the Steelers is quite daunting. It will take some inner strength to get push on this unit. Miami needs to spread that D out and throw away from Polamalu, who will likely shade Marshall for most of the game.

Big Ben is usually efficient and very hard to bring down, and has a big arm. This Pittsburg team has the same philosophies as our Dolphins. Run-first, efficiency, be physical and disciplined and utilize play-action on offense. As for Defense, play physical and disciplined and be aggressive.

If the Dolphins do not set the edge better this week, Mendenhall is going to have a huge day as AP did. Odrick back in the lineup should help (if the rumors of IR aren’t true), Crowder too.

SOLUTIONS TO VICTORY

DEFENSE

Firstly, the Steelers will try to impose their will with the run-game and an imposing runner they have! Rashard Mendenhall is the sixth best rusher in the league, to this point, with 495 yards on the ground and 5 touchdowns. He is averaging 4.3 yards per carry and 23 carries a game! He is the real deal!

This 16th ranked Rush D will need to find their way. Opening the game with some run-blitzes may be a good idea. If Nolan is going to pick a week to be inventive with the blitzes, this would be the week. It all boils down to execution though. Ike, Misi and Wake have to set the edge as they did against Green Bay and that interior needs to hold up a little better to be affective.

Give Dansby his wish this week and give him Heath Miller! We need to change our tactics with tight ends and he asked for the assignment. Give it to him!

Wake is an Earthquake... Let him loose, move him around if need be!

OFFENSE

I realize the Offensive Line was better run blocking in Green Bay and they need to continue. I also realize that the Dolphins needed better pass blocking as well, and Sparano made needed changes to his unit to reflect. This game is EXTRA crucial for the offensive line. It all starts with Big Jake Long this week, put him on loudmouth Joey Porter Jr. (Harrison), and put him in the dirt! The quicker he is slowed down the better. If we allow Harrison to get going, it will be a LONG afternoon (no pun intended).

I believe this would be the week to start out on offense with a spread formation, three-wide with Bess or motion out Fasano. Run and pass from this formation. I think that would get that 3-4 defense out of its comfort zone. They have given up some passing yards. Henne just cannot force anything to the Beast when Polamalu is shading to his side. Although the line has done well in passing situations, implementing a quick passing game would likely be a good idea this week.

I would like to see more straight-up blocking from the O-line and less of Fasano! Let the guy go out and produce in the pass game! He has shown some burst this year and better concentration.

Final Thoughts
    Getting any resemblance of pressure on Big Ben will pay dividends, as will being able to run the ball. If the Dolphins want to make the playoffs, now would be the time to show the physicality Sparano preaches, toughness and discipline as well. This game shall be won or lost in the trenches. This game will also be a good primer for our visit to Baltimore in a couple weeks, who have bullied the Dolphins for the last few years.

Efficiency in the red zone is the number one priority this game. The Miami Dolphins have to continue being disciplined, as far as penalties and time of possession. However, being effective once they occupy the red zone is the key.

It would not shock me if the Steelers won, but at the same time, I have seen a Dolphins team that when they are on their game, are very hard to stop. The defense should have a little bit of their swagger back after last week, give them all Old Spice if need be.

Go DOLPHINS!
    Dolphins 17 Steelers 16

2. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    We sure show glimpses of an Offense that if it doesnt stop itself it can move the ball in the air and ground - the question is how many points should they be putting up. We seem to leave lots of points in the field of play vs endzone.

We sure show glimpses of a Defense that flies to the ball, gang tackles, and no matter where on the field, can focus and stop teams even if all 4 downs are used.

We have a Special Teams unit that while not Creating much offense as far as yards for, or points for (outside of FG unit - when not blocked) we have a punter that can pin opponents deep (if not blocked).

We have NOT watched (yet) all 3 facets click on a single given gameday. If we do I think we not only can PLAY with any team in the league, we can WIN vs any team in the league in a big way.

I look forward to the day where we force teams to BEAT us, and not hand them gifts to in essence beat ourselves.

Rocky Raccoon and HULKFish like this.
  3. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Exactly what I'm talking about! Glad I'm not the only one...

4. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Agree with all except Fasano. Woodley handed Carey is lunch last year, and knocked Henne out of the game as well. Our RBs could be left in, but none of them have a prayer vs. 56 or 92. I'm a big fan of less max protect, but if there was ever a week to keep Fasano in, this is it.

HULKFish likes this.
  5. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    I agree but I'd like to see more three-step drops this week, quick slants and whatnot. I just get tired of seeing Fasano, who I think is better than average, as a receiver, suffer in production.

6. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Nobody talking X's and O's of this game???

7. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Well, I'm not really an X's and O's guy, but I will throw this out there...

beating this Pittsburgh team may be our most difficult task all season. This is a very good football team we are facing Sunday. Their defense is especially intimidating. Every facet of our game has to click. Offense, defense and special teams have to all contribute. That means, no turn overs on offense. Get a takeaway or two (or more) on defense. And, special teams needs to at the very least put us in good field position consistently. A big play on ST's would be a bonus, but I'm not banking on it.

Putting pressure on their QB is gonna be a priority. And, Wake can't do it all, so others are gonna have to step it up some. Actually, for some reason I see our defensive backfield as being key here. I say that because Rothlessburger will hold the ball forever waiting for a receiver to get open. So, if our DB's can keep their receivers covered, then we have some strip/sack opportunities. And, Nolan better have some kind of a game plan for covering their TE, especially over the middle, 'cause that's where we notoriously get burned. Honestly, the more I think about it, I think this game is really more on the defenses shoulders. Keeping their offense to under 20 points is gonna be tough. But, if we can do that, we have a shot.

Go Phins! :marble:

HULKFish likes this.
  8. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Well, that is more at what I meant... Just taking my spin and feeding off of it. I agree that Wake can't do it all although tackle seems to be a weak area of this team. Winning the turnover battle is surely important as well.

I don't think keeping them under 20 will be that tough though, I'm expecting a low scoring game! Then again you know how that goes, might be a shoot out...

9. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Henning is getting better at playcalling(the more we criticize him).

I think this game will be on the players executing.

Special emphasis on RB's holding onto the ball.

HULKFish and alen1 like this.
  10. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Of all I've read this seems to be the biggest concensus:

As long as the Dolphins don't shoot themselves in the foot, they should be in this game from beginning to end!

11. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    if we give up more than 24 points, i don't give us much of a shot at winning .....

HULKFish likes this.
  12. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    This is the premiere game of the weekend, don't blow it Dolphins! Going to be tough to run, so I'm hoping the pass offense is on their A game. I'd be impressed if the Dolphins ran for over 100 yards against the #1 Run D.

If the Dolphins do get a win, it's interesting that the Jets, Dolphins and Patriots[win or lose] will all have the 3 best records in the NFL. There would be some teams tied, but still. Have to imagine beating the "top team in the NFL" would vault the Dolphins back into big discussions. Pete Prisco picked the Fins to win though, so I'm thinking the worst right about now.

A win by the Dolphins would also give the Jets the best record in the NFL...oh irony.

HULKFish likes this.
  13. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    No change in my opinion...

Win the turn over battle and you stay close and have a chance to win the game...

Fall behind early and that great D will key on Henne...

HULKFish likes this.
  14. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Way I see it, take away Heath Miller early and the Steelers offense will struggle.

That means no replay of Keller and the two unknown GB Te's lighting up the secondary early.

HULKFish likes this.
  15. Phinatic19

Phinatic19 New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    I'm a true Dolphins fan but I honestly do not see how the Phins come out with a W. And it will be hard on us fans seeing our team go 0-3 at home.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Good write up btw Hulk.

HULKFish likes this.
  16. Arodgers12

Arodgers12 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    If you guys can pressure Big Ben and force a couple turnovers and put some big points on the board then I think that is the keys to this victory for the Dolphins.

HULKFish likes this.
  17. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    coming up: a character defining game

HULKFish likes this.
  18. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    we win this game only if we dominate both the offensive & defensive trenches, a very tall order indeed

HULKFish likes this.
  19. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I can't see us running for much more than 100 yards, if that. On O, I believe that Hartline will make a difference. He has been open many times, and Henne has just missed him. I also expect R & R to be more involved in the passing game.

On D, I'm looking for Alama-Francis to make a difference in setting the edge on running plays. Wake has improved a lot. Misi has a ways to go.

HULKFish likes this.
  20. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Among all our opponents this year, I would venture to guess that this weeks matchup, may prompt the "tuna-signal".

The Steelers are one of the only teams in the league, where I'm concerned even with our best effort, the experience and makeup of the other team could still leave us at a stout disadvantage.
    Not one however, that a Parcellian devised counter measure couldn't level the playing field with. If theres one asset I'm convinced Parcells wields, its having a working knowledge of how to successfully exploit the key vulnerabilities of an opponent.

[​IMG]

HULKFish likes this.
  21. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Nice post Hulk....

The Steelers are the type of team not only us but almost every 3-4 team wants to be.

Our defense has only played poorly one time and that was against the Jets. I think the defense will play better than expected this week but my worry is how do we muster 20 points?

Henning needs to leave the empty backfield behind the center crap at home, im thinking if ever a pass out of the WC would work it may be Sunday.

Phins 19 Steelers 17 Dan Carpenter boots one threw with 12 seconds left. :up:

HULKFish likes this.
  22. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Yeah, I understand everyone's worries... I have to agree with Ronnie in saying that they truly believe they are bullies. Honestly I still want revenge for that aweful 3-0 loss in Pitt a couple years ago. When Harrison purposely stepped on Ricky and tore the muscle.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  23. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    :lol::up:

HULKFish likes this.
  24. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Yep, I remember that.

What a cheap shot SOB he is. That has absolutely no business being part of the game.

Eventually, Karma will catch up with that POS, and I will stand and cheer.

Merauder and HULKFish like this.
  25. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    It wasn't Harrison who stepped on Ricky. I'm pretty sure it was Timmons.

HULKFish likes this.
  26. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Really? Dang, thought it was Harrison... That game was UGLY! Remember the punt??? LMAO! Ball stuck in the double-layer of turf.

27. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
  28. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
  29. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    If we play this like our road wins (conservative, pound the ball inside the tackles) we will win this game.....despite what the analysts say.

HULKFish likes this.
  30. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    provided the interior line holds up

HULKFish likes this.
  31. Steven-O

Steven-O F*** the JETS!!

Jun 30, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    we've had trouble with the steelers recently but i am NOT scared of the steelers!! ravens werent and they beat them. idk why so many people are putting pitt on a pedestal! their good but it sounds like their the untouchables and we dont have a chance! seriously not that case at all!!!! IMO

HULKFish likes this.
  32. Merauder

Merauder Perseverance

Dec 16, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    I am most concerned about deep passes against Miami this game. Concerned about our rushing defense also but not as much. Defense needs to get off the field on 3rd and long. The defense has not caused many turnovers this season aside from the 4 from the Minnesota game. They only have 1 other turnover in 4 other games. Something has to give. I am going to predict that the defense comes up with one or two key turnovers that swing the momentum of this game. Dolphins win 30-20

33. Merauder

Merauder Perseverance

Dec 16, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Yeah that guy is a real piece of ****. Just like Hines Ward.

34. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Just goes to show.

They have at least 3 absolute POS's that should have their knees bent backwards on any given play.

Okay, maybe two that should have knee work done, third should be locked in the bathroom while Bubba has his way and his body guards watch the door. :up:

35. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I like the title Solutions To Victory. You have solutions to problems, so that means victory is a problem and we want to avoid it at all costs.

I can think of some things guaranteed to reduce the risk of winning...

Have Chad Henne throw more then 30 times.

Call a draw play on every second down.

Punt. Kick. Cover. Just use Special Teams in general.

Find ways to run extra clock when we should be stopping it.

Find ways to burn timeouts early, so we won;t have to use them when we need them later.

Feed Pat Cobbs and Lou Polite lots of balls.

Ask Henne to throw into zone coverage.

If we do all of those, I guarantee we can avoid victory.