1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Week One Free Agency Thoughts

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Mar 15, 2015.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Whew, well that was one heck of a week. The NFL included there were some major deals, surprises, and quality added to the roster.

For us, I thought the week went pretty well. Don't want to give too much credit because we haven't seen the finished product or how the team will mesh. I do like the fact we got younger, created added cap, and improved mightily in two major areas.

Moves we made:

1. Suh Signing - best FA on the market in South Beach. Year 2 cap will hurt us but overall it's not every year you can add a player of that caliber in his prime. He will improve just about every area of our defense but also will improve our attitude and swagger. Grade: A
    2. Brice McCain to add depth and experience to CB group. He is another smaller CB who excels with quickness, speed, and in the slot which we need since Jimmy Wilson was not too good last year. He's 28, and has had some good success and should fit into our scheme. Would like to seen us add a CB with size but looks like staff believes in Taylor. Grade: B+
    3. Jordan Cameron - the concussions concern me but the ability does not. 6'5" with great vertical and the ability to be a mismatch nightmare. He is exactly the type of player we've been starved of in the RZ since Marshall was shipped out. Cameron has never had a QB like Tannehill and seems excited to join him. The money is bearable especially as a good amount depends on his playing time. Grade: A-
    4. Trading Ellerbe and 3rd rounder for Kenny Stills. This move might be my favorite so far in FA. Why? Well, Wallace status was already a huge question mark before and to lose a weapon like him would deprive us of a speed element. Stills brings that and what I feel is more. He isn't just a deep threat but had 95 catches last year and excelled in intermediate routes and outs.... Tannehill succeeds there. I did not think we'd get a suitor for Ellerbe and to unload his salary is amazing. The 3rd round pick loss hurts as we need all the picks we can get. But, Still is 22 years old and developing can't guarantee that production and skill set for a 3rd round pick. Grade: A (factor's in Wallace trade)
    5. Trading Mike Wallace for a 5th round pick. The moment the Stills trade happened I knew Wallace was gone. Did NOT expect it to be a few short hours later. Losing 10 TD's hurts for sure but it was NOT working folks no matter who the finger was pointed at. This trade without adding Stills I would hate plain and simple but the fact we did makes this move much better. The 5th rounder is added ammunition but more the fact we free up significant money right away is huge if we are trying to keep Clay. Grade: B

Moves we didn't make:
    1. Missing out on Clint Boling. The deal he signed with the Bengals was a very very good deal. Good as in affordable and something I wish we would've tried for. The fact is we still sit with a big hole at OG that including the cut of Shelley Smith.
    2. Missing on Tier 1 Safeties. I mean some of the deals were pretty ridiculous like the Ron Parker one. Da'Norris Searcy just like Boling signed pretty affordable deal I think we should've strive for. Seems like staff is content going with Delmas/Aikens/Thomas
    3. Neglecting Size at CB. We lack a significant CB with size at CB, and it would've been nice to add one a little bigger than McCain despite our need for Nickel guy.
    4. Locking up Charles Clay. It's still in play but the longer it plays out the more worry I have.

Post Week One Needs:
    1. OG - cut Shelley Smith, missed out on Tier 1 guys (Iupati, Franklin, Boling)
    2. FS - no one on the roster who is proven, looks like Delmas could be re-sign option, health concerns scare me.
    3. ILB - they didn't bite on Harris or Lofton for the best. Foster is still a FA option who would fit, draft still would be the best place
    4. WR - losing a WR with 10 TD's hurts, but our unit is 25 an under, a Veteran could be needed
    5. CB - still think we need to add another whether FA or draft
    6. Backup QB - Moore's market never developed which is good for us
    7. DT depth - Suh is great but Odrick/Starks are gone after Mitchell is Francis/Johnson who are young

Players Left To Be Considered:
    1. Matt Moore - be interesting to see his situation as no team seemed to covet him. Post Draft could be interesting for a team like the Jets. I'd wait to re-sign him get a good bargain but familiar face and good guy.
    2. Colt McCoy - he's my 2nd choice for backup if Moore is gone or too pricey. Can win in a pinch, familiar skill set and would work well in scheme.
    3. Stevan Ridley - we NEED a power back and he is one. Be nice to swipe one from the Evil Empire. Do a one year prove it deal
    4. Pierre Thomas - not necessarily power back but he is a pass catching pass blocking option we need. Decisive and proven vet with something left in the tank.
    5. Dwayne Bowe - he's a proven veteran. Size and a South Florida boy. Could want a prove it type deal. If we miss in the draft I'd take a look at him.
    6. Michael Crabtree - the limited visits I'm hearing is concerning not really sure why. He would fit well with unit depending on attitude he'd bring.
    7. Greg Jennings - established veteran, who we had interest in 2 years ago. Not player he was but be a good locker room influence
    8. Mike Williams - there is a lot of talent there even if a knuckle head. Hickey was part of team that drafted him so he could be of interest to the team
    9. Evan Mathis - he isn't a FA. But rumor is he could be had for a mid round pick. Although 34 he was PFF 2nd ranked OG and would fill major need.
    10. Anthony Collins - why he may have flopped in TB at OT, always felt he was better OG and could need a prove it deal
    11. Stefan Wiesnewski - why not? he may be Center but has played OG and would be good fit, might be too pricey
    12. Randy Starks - he's resigned before, and playing next to Suh could be appealing for him, who knows
    13. Kendrick Ellis - solid if not special, we could use depth and run stuffer
    14. Da'Quan Bowers - still young can play DT/DE which his versatility could be useful
    15. Mason Foster - the only ILB left that would be worth it, would rather go draft but Foster could be affordable and productive
    16. Patrick Robinson - rumors before we signed McCain he was our guy. Still would like to add one and he has more size than Grimes and McCain
    17. Alan Ball - still 29 and 6'2" was a top performer in 2013 at CB and could be had on the cheap.
    18. Louis Delmas - was solid for us last year and Safety market is trash as is the draft, can't fix all needs long term and another one year deal could be ok
    19. Dwight Lowery - Delmas health is huge and if he isn't looking good for early season why not Lowery on a two year deal
    20. Jay Feely - bring in competition for Sturgis for christ sake

It's been a fun week for fans. Some may not agree with all the moves we made but Tannebaum and Hickey have been very decisive and creative. We pretty much shed our roster of all the terrible deals Ireland got signed before he was shown the door. Ellerbe, Wheeler, Wallace are done-zo. Losing Wallace certainly hurts as he was productive and key part of offense. But, I do feel Stills can replace some if not more of what he brought to the table. Definitely has more fight in him and more go get the ball type of WR.

The next step is if we re-sign Clay. If so, our Offense has a lot and I mean a lot of weapons. If Clay is signed I'd very much consider OG or ILB in round 1. CB is NOT an option so please don't say Trae Waynes. Read the reports, they don't want a rookie CB to be counted on, too hard in Coyle's system. If Taylor is healthy and we can add one more depth piece we should be fine, especially with our pass rush dictating the tone.

So with Clay, I think we can wait on WR to round 2 or Round 4. With Clay back I can see him and Cameron being split out wide much more often. Cameron essentially could have more of a WR role than an inline TE which is fine with me. From there it comes down to staff's preference and whose available. My considerations at OG would be La'El Collins and Erick Flowers. Both have versatility playing both OT/OG. At ILB there's really only one at #14 whose worth that pick and that is Eric Kendricks who would kill it with Suh infront of him. From there I'd look hard and long at Nelson Aghlor in the 2nd.

Without Clay, we are still fine with Sims and Cameron but think we need another pass catching threat. To be considered would be DeVante Parker and Jalen Strong. Don't sleep on Cooper slipping or a potential trade up for him (not as many picks as before though, so might be tough). Cooper/Landry/Stills would be dynamite. Young all can play multiple roles and thrive. Then in round 2 you can look at Perryman or Anthony for ILB or OG like Tre Jackson or Ali Marpet.

Not a bad thing to have options just hope we finish FA strong and hit our picks in draft.

Bpk, Onehondo, CrunchTime and 8 others like this.
  2. Undisputed

Undisputed Banned

Mar 2, 2015
    Great post, I agree on all points

zwave21 likes this.
  3. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Great post as usual zwave21, but if we go OT/OG with our #14 pick this board might get a seizure. Only way I'd justify OT/OG with a 1st rounder is if we trade back into the 20's and get a second 2nd rounder. And even then I'd probably be against it (Kendricks will more than likely last till the 20's).

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    As far as adding smaller corners with quicks and hops, I prefer.......big corners, what good are they if they can't stay with their man...the odds are your gonna get better coverage from a guy who can cover and has the speed to catch up, big corners have to be special to be effective otherwise your advantage is in jump ball situations if they are next to their opponent, chances are if their not special their gonna be left in the dust and that size will rarely come into play.

Undisputed likes this.
  5. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    It's a deep Guard and Tackle to Guard draft. I do believe they will drop down somewhere, pick up a 3rd and draft another guard like they did with Turner to plug in at RG. Just not a guy as raw. Turner in his limited time looked solid and I do believe he'll win the LG spot. It's just a matter of bringing in depth and a reserve guy with some actual LT experience to back up Albert. They've been hinting for a long time this offseason they weren't going to be $$ spenders on the OL.

There was something in the works concerning FS...but you'll need the Club for that info ;p

I have a feeling corner will be in the mix in the draft but a lot of those guys scare me. Would like to see some size in there somewhere but it's not the end all be all. As long as those guys can play.

6. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Thanks bud. Yeah you are right but I can deal with a seizure, what I can't deal with is a fallout during teh season because we didn't address OG. Would love to trade down but don't think Collins will be there then. Flowers may be.

Adding a pick would be great.

7. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    DJ, agree need them to stay with their man. But, we do need some size.

Our schedule this year we will face Marshall 2x, Gronk 2x, Hopkins, Johnson, Bryant, Beckham, Kennan Allen. Those are some WR's who feist due to their ability to go get the ball. Just all these 5'9" guys scare me a bit.

My biggest hope is we don't play off zone as it will give our opposite too many dink and dunk opportunities.

8. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    I like Tre Jackson and Ali Marpet as 2nd or 3rd round options. Just this staff and their inability to trust rookies makes me believe a mid round guard would sit the pine. Picking up another 3rd isn't going to be too easy. I have a lot of faith in Turner.

Don't need to be big spenders but to neglect the issue would be DUMB.

What have you heard regarding FS?

9. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I think bringing in Delmas, Moreno, and Starks on cheap contracts would be great for all parties. They already have familiarity with the systems, and even if we don't get a full season from Delmas or Moreno, it might be worth it... safety would be my one concern if Delmas does not stay healthy all year, but I think Michael Thomas and Walt Aikens can hold the fort if need be.

I'm a little worried about the OL depth. I think we have a good line with Albert, Turner, Pouncey and James, but that's counting on Albert being 100% healthy in time for the season. They seem to be high on Jason Fox as a backup tackle, let's see how that works out... I think we bring in another Billy Turner-like project in the middle rounds of the draft to compete for the second guard spot.

If we do bring back Clay, I don't think they'll go WR in the first round. Their best bet would be to pick up Kendricks or Waynes, which would fill big positions of need, and are both good players. Then, in the second round, go WR, then guard in the fourth. Lately I've been very into the idea of going with Kendricks in the first, I think he can be very good and would be a plug-and-play MLB, IMO. Cornerback and safety would obviously be the weak spots on defense, but there's still a big chance the younger guys can step in.

10. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    There WAS something in the works, or there still is?

11. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Oh yeah, concerning FS.. zwave21 you make no mention of the other Collins (Landon). I get it, he's not a FS, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins pick him up at safety, especially if we trade back to the 20's. Mocks have him going all over the place, from way up (even above Waynes) to falling way down to the end of the 1st.

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I can't agree with ya here Z, its something I've been looking a lot and thinking about, I just don't see enough reasoning to go after size if all the other stuff good corners have is not there..basically, size is completely overrated when it comes to corners imo..

Last year before we payed the bears, I said we were gonna kill them, and it was all due to matchups, I knew and said that because of Marshalls lack of speed and lateral quickness, he was no match for the smaller grimes, that was an easy win for the elite small corner..

gronk..well, thats why we have a star on the cusp in reshad jones, and if this staff realized that dion jordan is a corner trapped in a def ends body we would be all good on ground.

hopkins...nahhhh

dez, would be nice but once again, ill take a quick cat over some stiff with size..dez will school you if you can't stay with him..

like i said, the big corner can't be attractive just because he plays the position in college and has size, he must have pure corner skills and be tall, which is very rare..

trae waynes is 6'1..hows that?

I just don't look at size anymore..if I did, I wouldn't of had the honey badger being the best secondary player coming out of that draft and his talent easily transitioning to the nfl level.

pure movement skills over size, all day, every day..

13. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    So far this offseason is a C to me, although to be fair it could easily be an A plus if everything works out. Going into the offseason I had linebacker and offensive line as the greatest needs with defensive line, secondary, wr, rb, te as secondary needs. I see we addressed our secondary needs somewhat through free agency and I'm ok with that. But I will have to wait till after the draft before I can be happy. If we fail to address the oline and linebacker positions we are just shuffling chairs on the titanic. The best deal we made was getting Stills as a replacement for Wallace. Absolutely got a potential steal for virtually nothing. A + move there. As for Suh, he basically replaces Odrick since Starks wasnt in our long term plans anymore so its obviously an upgrade in talent but with the caveat that we are paying a king's ranson for someone who can be suspended for a year if he has another wtf wig out moment on the field. Huge huge risk and this will either end up an A aquisition or a complete fail. Cameron is similar except with him its his concussion history. If he plays for a full year its an A but if he has become fragile as a glass vase this becomes an F

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    i don't think you don't go after a player the caliber of Suh because your worried he might get fragile, we know what kind of temperament he plays with..I accept it, and do we know for sure that if he gets an infraction he's out of the year?

15. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Can't bring myself to grade the offseason yet...I'm TOTALLY excited about this past week...everybody I wanted gone is gone (except a partial on Queesy), and they brought in more talent than I expected.

My biggest take-away from this past week is MT knows WTF he's doing, and can get it done. I'm excited to see how the rest of this offseason shapes up. Do I expect it to be perfect? No. Solid? Yes.

Pulling for an A but wouldn't cry about a B+.

adamprez2003 and Undisputed like this.
  16. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Yup, did overlook him a bit. I don't know if it's stupid but a lot of Bama players come to pros maxed out so makes me weary to pick him. I do like his game just not sure about him. I think he make much more of an impact on defense than drafting Waynes in year one that is.

17. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    I can't say you are wrong regarding size, cause there are some very good corners who lack it and we have one on our roster.

Really, I thought Bears were gonna roll us due to our size and inefficient tackling. We did play Marshall well, but he's on a division opponent now who we see two times a year.

Love your point on Gronk tandem Jones and Jordan on him. Please please please let Jordan play in space.

Hopkins is good man, really think you need to take another look. Hopkins > Watkins ... that's last year, this year and for forseeable future. Much more polished than people give him for and if he could get a good QB you'll see him in Pro Bowl.

Dez can't be stopped so we can only hope to contain him. Playing the Cowboys their OL vs our DL will prove the test in the game. Our offense should be able to score but can we stop them??

Trae Waynes wasn't meant to be considered in 5'9" category that was for Grimes and McCain.

18. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Agree LB and OL are big needs. I think DT was bigger need that LB. And by adding Suh that improves the whole defense. Better against the run...check. Better interior pass rush...check. More attention, allows LB's to roam...check. Improves our Secondary...check. That is one player improving a lot of aspects of our defense. He isn't a replacement to Odrick, he is 5x the player Odrick will become. He truly is the best interior DL player in the game and could go down as one of the best.

Stills move is great but a 3rd isn't nothing. But, do agree that is a great move.

Suspended for the year? Relax bud, he may have his dirty moments but he isn't into drugs or DUI's or child abuse or spousal abuse. By shedding the terrible salaries of Ireland we have a lot of cap room for 2016. There is not much risk with Suh, biggest was how much you pay him and that part is done for better or worse.

Cameron had some fluke concussions doesn't play soft, just unlucky. He is superior to Clay when each player is at full strength. Combine them that is scary.

19. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Great post, excitement should be the word. Anyone anything less than pleased truly doesn't get what we are trying to achieve here. We shed huge and terrible deals and added two Pro Bowl caliber players, an good Slot CB, an ascending speed WR for way less money and attitude.

Still work to be done FS, OG, LB, WR, CB depth, DT depth

Mr. T def isn't a novice in this role, if anything his time away from the game and doing agent work may have helped him. I remember on Hard Knocks I liked the way he could assess need and find suitable talent. Also the fact he understands the difference between Great and Elite players. He signed Revis to his first big deal, and recognized the same with Suh this year.

My interest is to see what Draft will be like Mr. T's show or Hickey's or will they share?

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  20. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Amen...I can't wait to start hearing about RT, Landry, Stills and Cameron working out together before camp. I don't think they're too good for that, like some.

21. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    No doubt in my mind, already seen Stills and Landry tweeting each other. Bring back Clay and that is a young talented hungry group.

From there I'd look to sign Mid Level Veteran and draft 2nd or 4th round guy.

In the 2nd I'd look hard at Algoholor. In the 4th I'd take a look at Chris Conley from UGA or a Tre McBridge type.

22. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Still undecided about things, mainly because we don't know the outcome of the Clay negotiations... I'll feel alot better if we re-sign Clay, but then again, the off-season is FAR from over yet...it's just too early to worry/celebrate what we may have done the first week...

23. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    What's happening with Clay? He must be getting a little panicked at this point. No one is sniffing around and he thought he was going to get paid big time. I guess 650 yards and 4 TD's a year aren't that impressive.

24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Or a guy who isn't the most confident is having problems with making the biggest decision of his life. Does he take more money in Buffalo or stay in Miami where he is comfortable.

25. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Yeah the Clay situation is sooo confusing. It's Miami vs Buffalo, Palm trees vs snow plows, hot women vs hot wings, Tannehill vs Cassell, either the Bills are offering a lot more years/guaranteed $$$ or Clay has an issue w the staff.

26. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    No way to know that.

27. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Well, as I understand it, the Bills have yet to actually make an offer. That would simplify the explanation. They (the Bills) aren't certain what offer will put them in best position to land Clay (without overpaying) because Miami has the right to match and (as you point out) Clay might have a bias towards Miami if the contracts are similar.

28. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Think people are way over analyzing the Clay thing.

He is on our team today unless someone makes him an offer and he signs. The Phins seem content letting him play with the Transition Tag if need be and why not? Even if/once Buffalo makes an offer we have time to counter the deal. As of right now I have now heard of a formal offer. Buffalo has spent a good amount of money, and from the looks of it are trying to draft a deal that the Phins can't counter.

Well, we did just shed some major salary this weekend with Wallace/Ellerbe trades.

If the price tag get's up to $8.5 mil a year, I walk away. Clay is good but not worth that money especially with Cameron in the fold. I'd much rather use that money and sign a guy like Wisinewski to come in and play OG for us and solve that need. Then go WR/ILB in first two rounds.

29. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    If he signs w/ us we are on the hook for at least $7 million. Not chump change. I guess I'd like to have him back for that price, but any more than that and best wishes.

zwave21 likes this.
  30. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    never said suh was fragile, other than emotionally. personally i like the suh, incognito tempermant guys. i want my linemen playing with a nasty chip. unfortunately for him goodell is in charge of the nfl and is trying to make the nfl squeaky clean. suh is definitely on his radar and if he has another wig out i think its a full year suspension. plus you can always get any player you want in free agency if you're willing to pay him more than anyone else. that's not really great GMing. Bottom line we overpaid for the guy, and that's ok, but for us to get the benefit we need him to play injury free, wig out free and too his pro bowl potential for three full years otherwise this becomes a bad signing. we rolled the dice. we'll see how they come up. could be an A could be an F

31. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I agree. I think Tannenbaum, if he was behind this, definitely went for it this offseason. he definitely gave us the possibility of some major impact from free agency. there's a lot of risk with suh and cameron (more with cameron imo) but sometimes this bets pay off. the odds arent that bad so i think its acceptable risk. its going to be weird for me watching cameron. every catch i'm going to be holding my breath that he gets up

32. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i pretty much agree with everything you say other than i think you discount the negative too easily. if i'm grading i look at best case worse case scenarios. thats why the Stills trade is the best move of the offseaason. there is zero downside and only potential upside. cameron and his concussions scare me the most. concussion guys seem to become more susceptible to them once they get them. he's a great talent but if he gets another concussion this year he may be on the road to retirement. suh i just worry about goodell having him in his crosshairs. losing him to suspension would be a nightmare. our defense would fall off a cliff

33. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Ok, I can see your point. But, let's call the negative = Risk.

So in terms of Risk:

Stills - Zero, he's still rookie contract proved he can play and is 22 and ascending. If it were just him for a 3rd and not Ellerbe def would be more risky

Cameron - watch his concussions not big time hits like you saw Welker take a few years back, more fluke type hits. Agreed still a risk but if you look at his contract it's incentive based off his play so not as bad as your may seem.

Suh - yes, if he gets suspended but it's not gunna be a long one, think it'd be one game tops and hopefully eh controls it. Again we are talking Top 2 Player on that side of the ball.