1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weekend canteen and oddball observational Dolphins stuff

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Jun 25, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well the long hot summer has begun so a Friday/Weekend Canteen thread might be a fun diversion from the long hot summer?

-Re-listened to Jeff Ireland's press conference from day 1 of the Draft and he said something that I've never heard from anyone on the Dolphins Staff before:

"Jared is 303 to 309, if you look at him he doesn't need work on his body"

-I'm not sure what to make of Jared Odrick the DE/DT, in a interview with his hometown (Lebanon PA) newspaper he mentioned that he has to learn to sync his handwork with his footwork, which to me is Dline play 101..I'd love to hear what the Gurus have to say about it?

-Rough Deal for Giants Rookie Safety Chad Jones, here's hoping for a full recovery.

-Cam Wake apparently loves the ABC Show "Wipe Out"..no I'm not kidding, I have to wonder if all of the paint spraying, knocking off of obstacles, reminds him somehow of a Sparano TC.

-Tim Graham comparing Dolphins Camp to Bills Camp:

Is that why Q Moses said 'you should get a medal for completing a Sparano Training Camp?

-Anyone else notice all of the love Chad Henne is suddenly receiving?

-Fmr :theu: Safety Anthony Reddick has stuck with the BC Lions and will start.

-Is it me, or did Ricky Williams have the least celebrated 1,300 yd season in Dolphins history?

-Pat Turner on the Bubble? Maybe, imho if you discount positive performances from OTA's and Mini Camp, then why highlight non performances?

-ex Phin John Beck is in trouble in Baltimore, they just signed Mark Bulger, meaning it's Beck v Troy Smith for a roster spot at the #3 Qb.

-Channing Crowder from a strategy viewpoint is in for a fight, Ireland added Folsom, Spitler, Edds, Dobbins to the ILB corps and signed Dansby to a huge contract, so either Crowder dodges 4 players gunning for his job or he may be one of the last holdovers to leave Miami.

-Speaking of which, from the Opening Day Roster, only Brandon Fields, Ronnie Brown, Greg Camarillo, Vern Carey, Paul Soliai, Jason Allen and John Denny are left, 7 out of 53 in 3 offseasons.

-Recall Sir Vincent Rogers? The two straight season washout for the Dolphins? The same Sir Vincent that the Dolphins tried to recoup a signing bonus from?

He signed with the UFL's Hartford Colonials, the same place Vince Oghabaase and Josh McCown signed:

http://www.ufl-football.com/news/hartford-colonials-provisional-roster

His Offensive line coach will be..Tony Sparano...Jr..:D

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/19/son-of-sparano-lands-in-ufl/

:marble:

2. Thunderbolt89

Thunderbolt89 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Thanks for the writeup. I like the way Sparano runs camp,it makes sure they are tested before going a whole season and weeds out the weak. It is way better than Club Cameron which is one reason why I think we had that awful season that year. I can't wait to see Odrick play next year and hope he is a monster in his rookie year. Also not surprised to hear about John Beck,he will soon be joining McCown over in Canada.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, I doubt either one could make it in the CFL to be honest about it.

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    IMO that was an issue with him coming out. This was also an issue with Tyson Alualu IMO but it was a greater issue with Alualu than Odrick.

He was awful at Miami.

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thing for me is, I'm not sure if he was being humble or if he was being honest?

:dunno:

I do think he has a great first step and motor though.

CFL Defences have a hybrid S/Lb who tend to be Big Hitters, so far Reddick has shown he can do that much..despite 2 dummy late hit flags.

I do think it is illucidating that 3 fmr Dolphins are in Hartford in the UFL along with Sparano's Son Anthony Jr Pro Football no matter the level is very incestous Alen.

I suspect there is more going on behind the scenes between the UFL and NFL than is on the surface, iirc, Sparano Jr was supposed to work for a college team, yet he already has his first professional job? In his hometown?

Typically Assistants have to put time out in the hinterboonies getting their ticket punched as they pay their dues.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  6. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    There has been some weird stuff going on all offseason so far. All its doing is pricking my curiosity regarding how good this year is going to be.

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    When watching "Hong Kong Phuey {Jared Odrick} on film, and going back and Forth With Conificus pre draft, he enlightened me that while Jared has violent hands, sometimes, he tends to be just that, all hands, while his feet stand still....From Jared's own comments, it looks to be a very astute observation by an excellent talent evaluator..

dolfan7171 likes this.
  8. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Don't forget ol' man river Yeremiah Bell, the oldest tenured draft pick on the roster ('02).

Somebody should tell him about "MXC"...My favorite

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Odd, and Wake was hardly a NFL caliber Lb coming out of Penn State.

Seems the quality of player from PSU has slipped a bit in terms of fundamentals.

dolfan7171 likes this.