1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weekend Roundup: Talking Boldin, Henne, Porter & more

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Feb 8, 2010.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Fin-Omenal and TiP54 like this.
  2. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
  3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think Boldin for a third would be worth the injury risk. That would free up our first to get either Thomas (FS) or McClain (LB) if you think they are special or Odrick (DL) or Graham (LB), Williams (DL) or even Weatherspoon (LB) on the D. Or if they really want weapons, Spiller (RB/WR) or Hernandez (TE) my sleeper future all-pro in this draft and get Spikes in the 2nd (ILBs always fall in the draft).

Striking and dolfan7171 like this.
  4. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Well, i'd take Boldin for a 3rd. Not sure I trust him at all but it'd be alright for a 3rd.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  5. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Anything more than a third for someone who hasn't completed a healthy season in 3 years, and has hit the 30 year old marker is pushing it. We want to go to the superbowl. We need healthy players to do that. That said I do think Boldin would be a great acquisition. But he's not worth a #2 pick right now, maybe last season with a year of tread left.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  6. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I saw somewhere about Deion Sanders saying that he loved Vontae Davis and Sean Smith. He was saying something around the lines of Vonate studying and preparing more. He loves how physical he is and he was going to be great. On Sean Smith I remember he saying to learn how to use his arms. He said to study Asomugha (spelling?) to learn and to get better. I just don't know the link to it.

7. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    http://forums.thephins.com/showthread.php?t=44964

we've got the highest potential CB duo in the league. No doubt there. I'm ecstatic for both. Smith has to get more aggressive and Vontae has to keep working, but their both very good for being so young.

Now let's get some safeties that don't suck...

skippysphins, smahtaz and dolfan7171 like this.
  8. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Thomas or Graham would be OK but, I still prefer Kindle as a play maker.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I see Kindle as a chase player. I don't think he makes enough plays. He seemed to get hurries but usually miss the sack. I think he has trouble with his hand use/placement. He has proto-type size and measurables, but I just don't think he does enough with those. I wouldn't be surprised if he fell out of the first round entirely.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  10. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    why do people still talk about trading for boldin
    he turns 30 during the season and is hurt all the time
    that would be a waste of a draft pick(s)
    the dolphins know it
    they already mentioned in order to go after a playmaker wr there has to be one out there
    we arent going after boldin

gafinfan likes this.
  11. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    While the potential is there its hard to argue against Revis and (anyone next to him). I mean if you start with arguably the best CB in the NFL then all you need to do is double the "other guy".

PS. I am very happy with the kids though just pointing out the obvious.

12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Even Revis was rarely left on an island despite the media's hyperbole.

13. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    I see Kindle as a better Pro than a College player. He reminds me a bit of JT.

With Porter almost certainly gone, we are in dire need of someone to rush the QB. Graham may be good but, my money is on Kindle.

14. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Davis reminds me a lot of Revis in his style of play and talent.

I believe Smith will be better. Just a hunch. :)

15. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    He was most often left on an Island and rarely given any safety help. I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you on this one. :up:

16. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    If you ever watch the NFL match-up show with Jaws and Hoge they clearly showed that wasn't true.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    relative to anyone else I would venture to say he was..his matchup and his talent is just to good to give him help consistently.

dolfan7171 and LandShark13 like this.
  18. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    well last year we drafted Patrick turner in the 3rd round. Honestly, not every picks gonna be a winner. Why not consider a big target who we know can play?

I'm not all for the idea either but a 3rd rounder is a small asking price IMO.

19. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    I did watch, and it did surprise me.

20. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    rafael is right on this one
    the media does claim revis to be some kind of shut down one on one madman but if you watch the jets they play a lot of zone and revis did get a lot of help all season

21. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    cause the guy only plays half of the time
    this offense already has an injury prone star that can't stay on the field
    ill be damned if i want another
    boldin is not the answer

22. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Who cares how good revis is. Clearly 'whoevers on the other side of him' matters because they gave up 270 yards to Austin Collie and Peirre Garcon.

Revis is one guy. He can be taken out of the game quite simply through gameplan.

23. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Boldin playing half the time > Patrick Turner on the sidelines.

24. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    so you are willing to waste another third round pick to cover up a possible previously wasted third round pick

wow smart thinking :smackhead:

25. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    no im pointing out that having a good player can be better than hoping a 3rd rounder pans out. You're way too worried about injuries.

Look at the saints last night. Who caught Brees' only td pass. That's right, the most injury prone TE of all time. The saints needed a pass catching TE and they got one, they didn't worry about whether or not he'd stay healthy. They just knew they needed a TE.

(in fact you could make that argument for Brees too...but i won't open that can of worms)

26. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    i have to LOL at everyone comparing us to the saints
    the saints were a whole hell of a lot closer to a SB than we are
    they added a few pieces to complete their puzzle
    we are still trying to turn over the pieces to build the border
    bottom line we are still rebuilding and bringing in old vets who play part time is a dumb move
    the dolphins know this

27. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    i agree if there is anyway we could get boldin for a 3rd round pick and we pass that would be pretty stupid

28. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I don't understand how anyone wouldn't give up a 3rd round pick for Anquan Boldin, considering our WR corps right now.
    It honestly baffles me.

29. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    if you are in the business of pissing away a valuable pick for an aging wr who plays half the time that is definitely your choice
    im not for that at all
    we want to move forward with this team not backwards
    like i said before this offense already has a running back that is injury prone
    why would i want to add a receiver with the same issues

PSG likes this.
  30. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    Boldin for a third is solid.

31. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Boldin is worth that "valuable" 3rd round pick. Who do have targeted with that picks that's so important?
    Acquiring Boldin doesn't move this team backwards, it takes us a step closer to being true contenders. It most certainly makes our WR better as a group.

As far as the whole injury thing, anyone can hurt at anytime. You can't operate that way. Boldin would be our second biggest offensive weapon after Ronnie.
    And don't even get me started on the whole "injury prone running back" thing.

Bottom line. Are you happy going into the season status quo at the WR position. And if not, what's your plan if not Boldin for a 3rd?

32. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    I don't know how valuable I would say a 3rd rounder is. To say the least they are very hit or miss.
    I absolutely agree with moving forward but I believe Boldin would be accomplishing that for our team. We take a proven #1 (yes he was a #1 before Fitz) and let him help to develop our young QB. Developing a QB is definitely moving forward in the league today. Without a QB we are going no where. Without a legitimate WR threat, I also think Henne is going no where.

We absolutely have an injury prone RB, although a lot of people will not admit it. But, a WR is not an RB. They don't take the same punishment a RB does in this league.
    Plus one of the injuries to Q was an absolute fluke. That hit that broke his jaw would have punked out Superman.
    This year he had a nagging ankle injury. I'm not a doctor but I wouldn't expect it to be reoccurring.
    I see your reservations, but go back and look at the 3rd round picks the past couple years. Not great success. There actaully hasn't been a prow bowler who was picked in the 3rd round since 2005. However, there were some decent WR finds: Mike Wallace, Early Doucet, Mario Manningham. None of these are a Boldin though. We did pick Hagan in the 3rd in 2005!
    I think it would be a heck of a move pulling out a proven player for a 3rd rounder.

I'm personally more worried about the contract demands, then forfeiting a 3rd rounder. If he wants to get paid like a top 5 WR he can take the walk, but that's another post.

PSG likes this.
  33. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I agree with Hernandez. I think he will have a Gonzales type of career.

34. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    no im not happy going into the season with what we have at reciever
    i want a play maker as much as everyone else and definitely understand our need
    there is no doubt the fo knows this and feels the pressure
    they have already stated that they know the need is there
    but with limited options they feel their hands are tied
    im kinda at a loss for ideas and flip flop on the Marshall thing constantly
    he is a very good young wr but drags along so much baggage it is hard to rely on him enough to throw picks at him
    dez bryant is a possibility i guess if he is there at 12 but with all the needs on d and looking at bp's track record i really doubt they go that route
    i was really hoping by our third draft with this regime we would be ready to pull the trigger on a young wr such as dez but we areally arent close enough yet
    back to boldin i dont like the age factor or the fact that he is on the sideline so often
    you also have to remember he plays opposite fitz and we dont have a guy like that who would draw that kind of special attention
    henne needs a big time weapon for sure but options are limited
    maybe you hope d thomas is around in the third and they roll the dice there
    he is raw though and would take time to develop
    it is definitely a pickle

JimToss likes this.
  35. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    this team isn't that far off from being able to make some noise in the nfl. Boldins got at least 3-4 good years left and 3rd rounder is a very small asking price for his kind of talent.

Boldin is a great player. One of the toughest wrs on the field, and that's what gets him hurt. It's ironic that guys make fun of ginn for avoiding contact, well Boldin is the complete opposite. He hits everybody. Tries to truck every cb in the league. And that's why he gets hurt and Ginn has never missed a game.

But you bring Boldin here and we have a legit #1 that teams will have to take seriously. Imagine playing the Jets and Revis has to stay on Boldin the whole time. Then we have Bess, Cam, Ginn, or Hartline working the rest of their secondary. No one else in the draft, especially in the 3rd round no less, can scare opposing teams the way Boldin can.

36. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Killer?, what if I told you that Anquan boldin looked me dead in the eye, and said, " I wanna be a miami dolphin...

His agent had discussion's with our front office last year, they were working on something before the draft..

I guess we were'nt willing to give up what the cardinals wanted, either that, or he lied strait to my face.

Theres no question his stock has dropped from this point last year..

I think the variables are strong enough to actually start thinking about it, at least moreso then any other free agent out there..

Id give up my 3rd for boldin, sign a nice free agent linebacker, then, take Mcclain/graham in the 1st, and Gresham/Gronkowski in the 2nd.

4 additions, to the 2 weakest units on the club, all 4 with close to 1st round grade...Thats a desperately needed infusion of talent, in all the right places.

dolfan7171 and LandShark13 like this.
  37. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    if you are talking about Tony Gonzalez that is a very bold statment yea he may be good in college but he isnt even the best TE in the draft

38. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Im a person who was dead set against Boldin for what the Cards were asking last year. I know he has injury history, and I know hes getting older.

But 3rd round is the magic number. People tend to overvalue draft picks and youth a bit to much. For a 1-2 second rounder, they would be right. For a 3rd, passing up on Boldin would be a foolish move.

39. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think Hernandez will end up being seen as the best TE in this draft.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  40. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

Make a Boldin a conditional pick; plays half a way a 5th round pick. Plays the entire year a 3rd rounder.

IMO:I think hes staring directly at the wall; 1-2 good years left.
    Just can't ignore the injury history