Weird Hobbies

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by jdang307, Dec 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Man, here's some real music. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bLrv4nSBt0]YouTube - Young Jeezy - Vacation[/ame]

And this, I just like the freestyle. :D. So sick.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Jv3ISopv0]YouTube - Tech N9ne Melancholy Maze [My World Intro][/ame]

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Yeah they're not really a casual listening band. It helps if you play an instrument to get into their stuff. Not only is that song progressive but it's incredibly complex. Also; if you're talking about strictly lyrics then I've got a couple of folk albums you should listen to because they tell a story, as well.

And alen1 (if that is your real name :shifty: ) I haven't checked yet but I betcha that's not real music :up: just kidding.

I've got an issue w/all these young jocs and geezys and all these people. How come no one is "old jeezy" or "old" something. Why's it gotta be young :escape:

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Tech N9ne is sick. I like Jeezy's song and I was listening to it so I just put it in there but Tech N9ne is no doubt, nasty.

4. anlgp

It's cool I'm not one to rip people's music styles apart. I'll listen to the first one.

5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Songs like 21:13, Fuel For The Feeding End, No World For Tomorrow and The End Complete III are pretty much the definition of Prog Rock.

Of course they have a lot of poppy songs too, A Favor House Atlantic, Blood Red Summer, Feathers, and the Suffering.

As well as a lot of classic rock sounds - Justice In Murder, Gravemakers and Gunslingers, Devil In Jersey City, so on.

Thats what makes a band good, exploring multiple Genre.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  6. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I love Jeopardy. I wish I could be on it but I would probably cost the company too much money in censoring all my curse words after I missed a question.

7. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Last I heard there was a title in place though they won't release it in case they change their minds, and they were going to start recording after their most recent tour. But nothing 100% in stone.

8. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    listen to him on the wakeup show anthem. him, eminem, chinoxl tear it up...

alen1 likes this.
  9. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I've been listening to hip hop since NWA and Ice Cube and Public Enemy, Run DMC etc. even Salt & Pepa

I followed it all the way up until about a year or two ago. I still listen to hip hop, but I think the industry has changed way too much and I haven't gone back yet. I mean, even before FH and thephins, I was on sohh.com forums and AHH forums all day reading about it, looking for obscure tracks and/or artists.

It's lost me for now. It's still my preferred music when I pop on the radio, but I just can't get back into it until they fix whatever it is that's broken.

10. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    that jam kills..

11. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    I collect football cards and transformers comics/toys when I can.

I would like to become a video/audiophile but don't have the $ to really commit at the moment, so I just read a lot. I do have a substantial collection of HD-DVDs though (and still look for deals), and have 3 players (though 1 is the xbox360 attachment).

12. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Another hobby, aside from surfing here and at the AVS forums is surfing slickdeals.net. You start out going there looking to save money, but then it sucks you in and becomes kind of like a game, trying to get like the best deal on anything you buy.

13. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    you cannot list Prog Rock bands without mentioning the best...

Yes.

And Yes is the name of the band :up:

14. anlgp

I was going to stick them in there too but decided that if aqua knew who King Crimson and Gentle Giant were then I'd be too surprised to even list Yes :D

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  15. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm a huge fan of AC/DC, Metallica, GNR, and Johnny Cash.........

16. Vampire Baby

Vampire Baby New Member

May 5, 2008
    Spot on mate... :up:

Music is so over saturated with useless rubbish these days it makes me sick.

17. Vampire Baby

Vampire Baby New Member

May 5, 2008
    King Crimson = Amazing.....

anlgp likes this.
  18. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Oh, I forgot, I like Anime (though I haven't watched much recently). I am partial to the giant robot fare (Gundam, Escaflowne, NGE, Nadesico, etc) but Full Metal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop are some of my favorites.

19. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Ok, let me preface this with I've never really liked Wayne before. I looked at him as a down south rapper and they have a reputation for not being the most lyrical (save for a select few when you dig deep) however in recent years he has stepped his lyrical ability quite a bit. The lyrics make sense when you listen to them a lot with double/triple meanings etc. Two more of the best with lyrical wordplay are Fabolous and Jadakiss. Two lyrical monsters who, save for a few exceptions, can't make a hit song/album.

Wayne can be a lyrical monster when he wants to be, then he gets into those things you mentioned, saying nonsensical stuff, interrupting his flow in a non-good way etc. I mean, go listen to Lollipop remix (with Kanye ... who is NOT a rapper) his first verse is fire but the second is just useless.

Right now I find myself digging through my old CDs playing old compilations I made. My favorite track right now for the past few days is Oh No, featuring Nate Dogg, Mos Def and Pharaoh Monch, two more lyrical geniuses.

Jesus, I search those two daily, avsforum and slickdeals. I'm jdang over at avs (but don't post often) and same at slickdeals as here. I don't buy anything unless I check there first, and everybody comes to me to look for deals. Right now I'm looking for blurays, an outdoor burner, and toys on slickdeals for friends lol. What's weird is the hotspot for deals keep changing. When I first started, it was anandtech hot deals forum, and then fatwallet, then everyone moved to slickdeals.

I mentioned earlier my addiction to gadgets. Did I mention I have an LN52A750 Samsung LCD and a Mitsubishi HD1000u projector with 100" screen ... IN MY BEDROOM? Also an HK AVR247 with LPCM and 5 Mirage Ominisats. GF thinks I'm certified crazy. Next up is ... an iphone and a netbook like an MSI Wind ... in the name of business though!

Stitches likes this.
  20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The music is pretty damn bad that's out there now. I mean you have guys like MIMS who repeats the same thing for 4 minutes and he's on the radio. There's a couple guys that I listen to, Lil Wayne and Young Jeezy. Weezy has gotten a bit annoying lately because he's repeating himself from stuff that's old of his. Jeezy had a couple good songs in the past but his latest album did it for me. I also liked Rick Ross' Trilla album but that's really about it. I find myself often going back to older music though, I still listen to Warren G, NWA, Tupac, Biggie, Big L, Eminem's old stuff, etc.

Haha. I like his lyrics, he sometimes makes no damn sense but sometimes, he has some pretty good lines.

21. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    I'm pjb16 at both sites, and yea I never buy anything really without checking there first.

I have a Samsung HL-S4266W and I just bought a Samsung HL-61a750 two weeks ago. I have an Onkyo TX-SR606 and 7.1 speaker set from the Onkyo HT-SR800 to go with it. PS3/360/Wii, Toshiba HD-A30, and a Onkyo HD-DV805 (hd-dvd players). I don't really have a bedroom right now, lol. But neither of those tv's would likely go in it, maybe the 42", we'll see. I want to hook my computer up to the 42" it'll likely depend on where I end up moving. Yea, my fiance thinks I am crazy too, but she at least enjoys listening and watching the stuff.

22. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Nice! I also have all 3 consoles but don't use the Wii at all. I'm jealous of the Onkyo 606. If funds weren't tight when I bought my AVR (got it cheap ... from slickdeals :D) that's what I was aiming for. At least your fiance enjoys it, mine can't even tell the difference when I changed her connection from composite to HDMI on her tv. But she's ok with my fascination and encourages and funds it for me. That's all I can ask!

Don't get me started on computers oi! At one time I had 4 high end computers with Intel Core 2 Extreme QX processors (got a hookup on them) and ... I barely used the power lol. I overclock the crap out of them and then run benchmarks. That's about it. I've since sold them, now I just have two with high end processors in them. I'll find a use for the power one of these days ... I've gotten off my computer itch since I realized I was just enjoying building them, and then never really used them.

23. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    My computer is nothing special, I just hate when I watch a show on abc.com (or some other site) that I have to watch on my big bulky 19" monitor. The 42" and 61" both have vga connectors, so i figure I might as well use 'em (and yes, my wii barely gets used). I pretty much just use my work laptop now, the desktop really just sits there.

I cannot for the life of me understand how people cannot tell the difference between composite and hdmi (if you have a native source of 720p or higher ).

I saw the 606 on e-cost for like $265 (eCOST.com - Online Discount Superstore home electronics, computers, laptops, mp3 players). It's a refurb, but I am pretty sure they are certified onkyo dealers (easy to check from the onkyo website) so the warranty would be good or you could just go with a 3rd party.

I had got the ht-rs800 (I think that is the number) for real cheap (slickdeals ftw!) and then picked up the 606 and sold the other receiver on craigslist to offset the cost of the 606. Basically I ended up getting a good deal on the 606, but an amazing deal on some solid 7.1 speakers.

PS: I got a Logitech Harmony One remote for around $112 or so (again, thanks to slickdeals), and that is probably some of the best money I have spent. I cannot encourage that remote enough. After using it, I would pay $200 for it with no problem. It is that amazing. My fiance really rips me for having a remote with a touch screen though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    $260? Oi! I paid about $200 for my HK. the 606 was new then, so it was still pushing over $400-450 at the time.

I need to get a damn Harmony. I've been lagging on it for years. I have 3 remotes, and two controllers on my bed at all times.