1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well Hello Dolly

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by cnc66, Jul 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Folks in southern Texas, northern Mexico could be experiencing a Cat 2 hurricane by Wednesday morning. The tropical wave moving through the Caribbean closed circulation just before moving across the northern tip of the Yucatan peninsula. It has been upgraded to tropical storm status and assigned the name Dolly. All my graphs and quotes are complements of the weather underground, Dr. Jeff Masters place. Here is a link to the tropical page, Dr. Master's blog is on the right, active weather concerns below, satillite links below that;

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

I like the water vapor.. water is energy;

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/watl/loop-wv.html

Here is current satellite loop, the storm band furthest to the west is showing up on the Brownsville Texas radar;

[​IMG]

Here are the current computer models

[​IMG]

The dark blue line.. the "GFDL" track is the one I generally favor and if it points at me I get seriously nervous. Many things can happen but GFDL has Dolly a near Cat 2 storm before landfall. If it slows more than expected, it could also become stronger than expected.

There was an upper level cold low over Cuba that just tracked in front of Dolly and fell apart, reducing wind shear and creating a more favorable condition for intensification. This upper level low suppressed Dolly through the western Caribbean until just before landfall at Yucatan. Although the waters are slightly cooler than normal, Dr Masters feels there is enough energy there to make Dolly dangerous.

The storm center appears to be trying to move north towards the heavier convection, if this happens successfully, the storm tracks will have to be adjusted north, putting Texas in more danger. IMO, this storm tried to do that a number of times only to have the aforementioned upper level low shear the tops off preventing the circulation move and suppressing intensification.

IF the storm slows, steering currents become less defined on Wednesday and the storm could well push further north than currently forecast. Here are the current watches that have been issued.

[​IMG]

Here is Brownsville Texas radar. Because I subscribe here, "I" see a 40 frame loop of radar, I think only a 6 frame loop will show here. I have you set up in the 248nm range. There is an advanced radar bar on the left border of the radar map that bares/bears exploring.

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?num=40&delay=15&scale=1.00&noclutter=0&ID=BRO&type=N0Z&lat=25.98174095&lon=-97.53533936&label=Brownsville%2C+TX&showstorms=0&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0

Here is an interesting link to Brownsville, a feature that is called "WunderMap new!" It's an interactive weather page. The view I offer you is backed out enough to expose the sea buoy, which will be interesting to watch as the storm strengthens and moves across it..click on the buoy for it's info, zoom in for a better view of Brownsville, and what's available there.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=25.77021&lon=-95.61401&zoom=7&type=hyb&rad=1&rad.num=1&rad.spd=25&rad.opa=70&rad.stm=0&wxsn=1&wxsn.mode=tw&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=0&fire=0

Please explore Dr. Masters weather site, I promise if you are any kind of outdoors-man or weatherhead, this place will not disappoint. For 10 bucks a year, they give me a 40 image loop on the radar that is worth saving. Tropical storm Cristobal.. I found that lil swirl still over Florida days ago and saved radar loops as it has moved up the coast.. even sent the first loop to Celkin.. (he wasn't impressed either : ) )

Back to serious, those of you in harms way, it looks to be a near certainty you will be getting nasty weather, and really, you only get TOMMORROW to prepare, things could be near hurricane force by sunup Wednesday. Be well, my thoughts and prayers to you all.

alen1, Coral Reefer, gafinfan and 3 others like this.
  2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Explains why Lucky has only been on here briefly. He must be busy boarding up his home and tying down his donkey's.

3. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    glad I moved!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Be careful any Texans out there. Not too much warning for this storm. Take whatever precautions you can.

5. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Do you think as South Floridians we've taken a "ho hum" approach to Hurricanes over the past 10 years or so? It doesnt really seem to phase me that much anymore (although it def should)

6. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Considering the fact that during every storm at some point you can find me outside having a smoke, yes! :yes:

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  7. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    I think your attitude is probably common hardcore, people have short memories. Just remember, hurricanes have a way of hurting those that treat them lightly the harshest. I live on the shore of Indian River, I take them all serious.

Miamian likes this.
  8. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    I bet you do. I've seen pics from your house if all that water gets angry you're in deep doo doo.

9. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Watch out zach thomas!!!!!!

10. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I hear you man. One of my best friends lives in Cali and has a similar take on Earthquakes (way more scary IMO).

Also, Im not a homeowner so I wouldnt have much to replace If another bad one hit.

11. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    thanks for the heads up cnc66 as i live on the suthern edge of texas and la. and have not heard about it mostly due to my cable provider not offering 'actual" local stations. i tend to throw those geustimated paths out the window due to so many factors going into the sudden change of direction a cane can take but it definately makes me more aware and cautious to follow the "projected" path more closely. granted im not as weary of a cat two still dangerous but not yet get the heck out of dodge cat for me yet. the only cane i have left for was rita and glad i did(still stuck in it for the initial hit but was in a better place than where i am now.)

cnc66 likes this.
  12. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    Rita was the real deal, making landfall as a Cat 3. Here is the landfall radar loop. The radars are in 248 nm range.

[​IMG]

13. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    yesir it sure was but i think the actual size of the storm had less to do with me evacuating than the initial aftermath of it..thinking about the flooding,lack of power,lack of gas,ability to get and cook food had me more apt of taking off as well as both my grandparents being in bad health..my grandmother was actually in the local hospital and they had no choice but to release her due to closing for the evac a day before the storm hit. now we still got hit pretty good as we only went about 150 miles northeast(yea east of the cane is worst) with a tornado hitting about a football lenght away from us so the storm was still a scary thing and still ended up in some of the situations we left for as no power,water but the hospitol there was still open and we were able to cook a little bit(trusty ole charcol bbq pits rock)and get gas a few days after rather than a month.

on a side note if tis storm does not get real strong the area in which it is projected to hit has been very,very dry and in much need of rain.

14. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    I was reading about that yesterday. They need a long soft drizzel, there might be some serious flash flooding if rain rates are high.

15. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Having been through several earthquakes myself (I live in SoFla so hurricanes don't even need to be mentioned) I find them to be much less worse than hurricanes emotionally.

with an earthquake you are not watching the storm build up for potentially a few weeks not knowing where it will go. An earthquake also only lasts for a few seconds whereas a hurricane can last over a day even.

Sure both are devastating, but the watching and waiting with hurricanes plus the amount of time they can last is the worst to me.

Glad I'm moving in Virginia in a month, hope they don't get as many.

16. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YkPughdDWE

At least you get some warning with a hurricane. there is very little, if any, warning with a earth quake.

17. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    we'll see if my city floods again. Last time it was pretty bad, and the city still did pretty nothing to fix our drainage problem...

18. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    you don't tie down donkeys you move them to the roof

[​IMG]

stupid.

19. calphin

[​IMG]
    Heres lucky and the donkeys spending a day at the beach:sidelol:

Now back to the topic...

unluckyluciano likes this.
  20. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Take it from someone that lived through Hurricane Andrew and I lived at the time at 19601 Belmont Dr, in the Cutler Ridge area of Miami. 165 mph SUSTAINED winds with gusts approaching 200 mph........

You bet I take them seriously. I get a panic attack everytime one of those depressions comes off of Africa.

I have a Hurricane Andrew story if anyone wants to hear it. Sometimes its cathartic to tell it. :up:

21. calphin

Do tell.

22. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Marty how about that depression in the mid Atlantic that just now seems to be forming?

Was in Donna back in 60 in Daytona, some storm. They really get good when you have to ride them out at sea. Want to talk about a ride.

Thanks for the links as I watch those things; close!:wink2::up:

23. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I have to tell you: I'm a member of a copy editor bulletin board, and there's a thread on it that has been going since 2004 based on the notion that "Hello Dolly" and its variants "Hello Dali" and "Hello Dalai" are the tackiest and most overused headline of all time. So seeing this thread really made me laugh.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  24. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007

Ron, I don't know what you mean. There is the new Invest 97 just east of the Cape Verde Islands, but conditions are not favorable until midweek, and it will likely not threathen Conus.

[​IMG]

snort... poor skimmers, WE just pull the plug and get under it

here is the almost 3 pm est Brownsville radar

[​IMG]

25. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    well, it's HURRICANE Dolly now, she finally tightened up and is now a minimal hurricane. It is supposed to stall and become somewhat confused before landfall, but they are not forcasting any serious intensification. Buoy 420020 which is 190 miles ese from Brownsville has winds of 40 mph, seas of 14 feet. The storm center is about 100 miles wsw from the buoy.

Here is the 8:30 pm est radar loops from Brownsville;

[​IMG]

26. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I hate seeing that...

27. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Should miss me by a fair bit up inbetween Houston and Galveston. Even if it came close doubt wed leave. We are far enough inland that only a cat4-5 is really worth leaving for.

Hopefully wont need to board windows, always a PITA! The new tension clip thing is easy and works well but about 95% of our windows are incompatible :(

28. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    there is a new movie out at the video stores about the devestation that rita had on little cheneir which is where i have been working the last few months helping rebuild/remodel some of the camps/houses down there if anyone cares to check it out. the name of the movie is little chenier:a cajun story. i have yet to see it myself as it just came out and i have pretty much seen the damage and talked to residents first hand but im sure i will check it out very soon.

29. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Invest 97; thats the one. Thanks Marty. You know I always wondered what it was like below the surface. Not to TO the thread but was it really that smooth? Or are you joshing an old skimmer. :wink2::hi5:

30. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    The silver lining here is that unlike Florida, hurricanes don't last long over Texas and they can't re-energize.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  31. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    hahaha, there is ya know, an exception to every rule.. Erin made landfall as a tropical storm, diminished to a tropical depression, and then re-energized over Oklahoma into a tropical storm.. first time I have ever seen such intensification over land.

[​IMG]

I have some radar loops saved but that is for later

anyway, back to Dolly.. she is just offshore of Brownsville, they will be experiancing eyewall conditions very soon. They say max sustained winds will be only 90 mph or so, but that can be pretty damaging if the local infrastructure isn't hurricane capable.

[​IMG]

njfinfan likes this.
  32. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Just watching the Weather Channel, and they said forward movement is slowing down, which is not a good thing. This means more wind for a longer time, but worse, more rain. Now expecting 9-12 inches instead of the 6-10 earlier expected. This could be devasting. So far highest wind gust in downtown Brownsville at 61 mph.

The people in harms way, are in my morning Matins prayers.

33. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
  34. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    When a hurricane stalls before making landfall, it usually intensifies. See Andrew and Wilma.

35. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Unfortunately I did see Andrew....... way too closely!

36. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Hope everything is ok for those folks getting hit I really really hate hurricanes.

37. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Good memories. :no:

38. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    So did I. I was 5 at the time and terrified. Fourtantely, I was in Broward county, and we didnt suffer as much damage as did Dade county.

39. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    After Wilma, my area looked like it has gone through some crazy winter storm without snow just blew through, because there were no leaves on the trees and it was actually pretty cold after that storm.

40. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    How is that possible?