1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well if Chad Johnson gets cut that will cement our WR corps as worst in the league.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LBsFinest, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Davone Bess is criminally underrated, even by Dolphins fans. The dude is one of the best slot receivers in the game.

gunn34 and gilv13 like this.
  2. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Exactly. When looking at WR & TE combined, the Bills have less depth and talent than we do IMO.

djphinfan likes this.
  3. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I always thought he was a model citizen tbh.

:shifty:

MikeHoncho and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The Bills have Stevie Johnson, who is better than anyone we have but I don't think they've got the depth we do.

The Jets have Dustin Keller, who I don't know if you give extra regard to because his production is as a tight end, but I'd argue they are comparable. Santonio Holmes has been productive, but as a Jet he's awful. He catches barely 50% of his passes, and he's an example of someone who is being utilized above his ability to contribute. Maybe that's because the Steelers made him look better than he is, maybe because the Jets make him look worse, but regardless, he's not very good. Stephen Hill has the possibility to change it, but probably won't as a rookie.

Bumrush and ToddPhin like this.
  5. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Lee Evans just got released, wouldn't be surprised to see us give him a look if we release Chad.

6. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    You can also throw in the fact that he's 34 years old, and IMO unlikely to contribute sufficiently more than let's say Brian Hartline to justify keeping him despite the distraction.

In fact you could even make the argument that his presence is a liability all the way around, in that he's a distraction because of his personality, and his physical contribution likely wouldn't be sufficient to make the argument that he's not simply getting in the way of a younger receiver's development.

Again, New England cut him on his physical contribution alone, since he somehow managed to tone down his personality there. I see no reason to believe his physical contribution here would be any better, and now you have to add in the distraction factor.

MikeHoncho, CWBIII and gunn34 like this.
  7. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    I don't think Chad was a lock to make this team before the headbutt incident and now it has to make Philbin wonder if he is worth the risk.I think they will cut their losses and let him go.

MikeHoncho, gunn34 and CWBIII like this.
  8. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I expect the Dolphins to be active looking at other wrs on other rosters.

9. Pbateman

Pbateman New Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Chad Johnson wasn't adding much anyway, I know for some reason he is way overvalued here on this board but the truth is we're losing nothing but a loudmouth clown who's way past his prime.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  10. magicap

magicap Shonuff

Jan 21, 2012
    Now way we trade for Wallace now. Looks like we will be picking towards the top of the draft!!

11. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I think you sink or swim with youth at wr to go with Tannehill.

12. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Indeed.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  13. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    I disagree. It's a disaster. We will now be short all those catches that Johnson made in the Bucs preseason game. <sarcasm>

14. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    not only was he a lock to make the team he was probably a lock to start.

15. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The bottom line is, if you take every WR on the Dolphins roster and add up their career TD's you have a total of 21. To put that into perspective, Gronk had 17 last year. Hell, Jordy Nelson had 15. So, as of right now, they don't have impact players. They don't have a WR who can make a big play consistently. This shouldn't be a surprise though, because outside of the Brandon Marshall acquisition Ireland hasn't even attempted to acquire one.

It doesn't matter if they're the worst corps in the league; they're one of the worst.

16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    And with worse WRs we went 11-5. So what?

We weren't gonna make the playoffs with CJ or BM.

17. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm not worried about Marshall or Johnson, but you kinda need good WR's in this league no?

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sure. What were your expectations for this season...SB?

19. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm not worried this season. Until Tannehill becomes the permanent starter none of it matters. I would like to see some talent brought in at the WR position though, which is why I hated the Jonathan Martin pick. It would've nice to pick up T-Hill and then an Alshon Jeffrey in the 2nd Round, but what's done is done.

20. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Good thing last years TD total don't win a damn thing in this years games.

Edit Hopefully we won't march down field and settle for 3 points.

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    With many majors holes (theoretically) covered this off season, we'll all have all next draft for WRs right when Tanny is starting to hit his stride.

I just don't understand why so many are lamenting the the lack of big play WR this year.

22. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's a "show me" type deal for me. If Ireland had attempted to draft a WR in his 4 years before this past draft, I might not worry as much. And I don't really buy the "major holes" theory. This team has had major holes every year for the last God knows how many years.

23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Well, if we're going to blame Ireland for drafts made while Parcells was here, then there's no point in discussing this further. Its clear to me, I don't understand people who make that argument and stick to it so steadfastly (when there is minimal evidence) that every move thereafter is colored by it. Its cult like to me.

24. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    How many drafts has Ireland had control of and how many WR's has he taken?

25. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Either way, unless there's a fundamental change in philosophy regarding the WR position and how to acquire talent at it we're stuck with Legedu Nannee as a #1.

26. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    They used that philosophy to aquire a QB this year. If the need is top priority next year I bet we get one. We might all be screaming for a new safety or linebacker though.

Fin D likes this.
  27. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    2 drafts without having to follow the Parcells blueprint. 3 WRs, Gates, Matthews & Cunningham.

And I'll say it again, every hole we've tried to fill the last two drafts with higher picks is more important than the hole at WR. In fact, I'd venture to say if Ireland drafted a WR high last year with BM on the team many people would have been pissed for neglecting other more important holes.

Conuficus likes this.
  28. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Every team in the NFL has major holes.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  29. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't think Bess, Nannee, and a healthy Hartline is that bad of a receiving group. When you add in what you have at the TE position, there shouldn't be much consternation over receiving targets. Our receivers production will likely be capped by the QB's production, not the other way around.

ToddPhin and MikeHoncho like this.
  30. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Some more than others, but yeah. But that's also why I said it shouldn't be used as an excuse for acquiring talent at a position that's a key for success in this league.

31. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Considering I have 13k posts on Finheaven with this same name, no.

32. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Where do you find the time to post here, there AND as a racist on kookyklan.kom?

Must keep your posts short.

ToddPhin likes this.
  33. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I take back everything I said in this thread. Omar Kelly says he can't find any holes in Legedu Naanee's game (and he looked). I stand corrected.

Eop05 likes this.
  34. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Well, if that's not a ringing endorsement... lol.

I somewhat agree. I'd say they're probably avergae, maybe slightly below.

The main issue is that we don't know when Hartline will be healthy, or if he'll play at 80% all year.

35. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    We don't have any depth whatsoever either. The Bills ****ty WR's are no different than our ****ty WR's. The difference is they actually have a very good WR at least. Holmes is significantly better than any of our WR's, same with Keller. And Hill is infinitely more talented than any of our WR's.

We have a solid at best WR in Bess and a bunch of crap. Hartline stinks. 2 TD's the last 2 seasons. Naanee was probably the worst starting WR in the NFL last year. Everyone else hasn't and most likely won't ever show much in the NFL. Sorry but this collective bunch of crap won't get it done in today's NFL. Not a single playmaker at WR/TE on the roster, except maybe Clay based on a tiny sample size.

36. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Well, he did draft 2 receivers the same year we drafted Vontae and Smith. One was Hartline, one was a kid from USC (can't remember his name), then he also drafted Clyde Gates, and got Bess as an UDFA. Also he drafted B.J. Cunningham and Rishard Matthews just this past draft. So in the years he has been here he has actually attempted to draft wide receivers - 5 of them off of the top of my head. That averages out to over 1 a year, so saying he hasn't attempted to draft is a bit much.

Have they all worked out? No, but I'd reckon we are no less successful than most teams who draft WR's, that position seems to have a high failure rate. Meaning you'll need to draft a bunch more than other positions in order to get someone to be successful. Like New England for example, they haven't had a wide receiver they have drafted make an impact in a long, long time - maybe Deion Branch was the last one aside from Julian Edelman.

Stringer Bell and GridIronKing34 like this.
  37. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    lol

38. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The fact that one was a guy you can't even name, and the others being in the 4th round (or later) kinda shows he hasn't valued the position. That was my point. Drafting guys in the 5th and 6th rounds isn't gonna cut it. So that was my bad for not clarifying. You know what he should try? Drafting one in the first two rounds. That could work.

Put it another way, would you agree that Safety and WR are the two weakest positions on the team? If so, take a gander at where those guys were drafted.

39. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Also, the Pats acquired Randy Moss and Wes Welker, then drafted Hernandez and Gronk. I'd say they did OK. Now, if the Dolphins wanna go out and get a first ballot HOF'er in his prime for a couple years like Moss was I'd be cool with that too.

40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Hopefully (fingers crossed), someday, we'll have a draft with 7 picks in the first two rounds. Then we can spend high picks everywhere on the team.

ToddPhin likes this.