1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We're a lot worse than I anticipated.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Sep 14, 2008.

1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I had no illusions of grandeur for the 2008 Miami Dolphins. I liked our 2008 draft. I was unmoved by our 2008 free agent class. I thought we'd be a scrappy, competitive team that would win 4-6 games.

Its tough to win games on the road in the NFL, but I never envisioned the crappy Cardinals taking us to the woodshed like they did today. We were outclasses in every fact of the game. I did my part: I drank a lot of Miller High Lifes and screamed at the TV at the top of my lungs. Unfortunately, our beloved Dolphins played with less emotion than I did at the bar. And so it goes....

Time for me to re-calibrate my expectations. I want us to finish the year with a better record than the Chiefs, Raiders, 49ers, Falcons, and the jets. I don't want to root for the worst team in the NFL anymore. I will spend 3-1/2 hours at my local bar no matter what...but I've re-calibrated my expectations. Let's just not be the worst team anymore.

Please don't misinterpret this posting as a drunk guy who thinks the sky is falling - - - I like the direction our team is headed, I just think we suck, today, on Septemner whatever today is.

We got schooled by a team that is not good at all. Ugh. GO DOLPHINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phinfanuk likes this.
  2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    You really think that?

3. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Cardinals aren't a crappy team

4. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I stopped reading when you referred to the Cardinals as a crappy team. Historically speaking you may be correct but they're prolly going to win the NFC West this year and they're a real powerhouse offensive team. The defense is still questionable but through 2 weeks they've got it done. Don't sleep on Arizona.

5. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    cardinals are good this year...

6. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Crappy or not.
    They schooled us.

gafinfan and padre31 like this.
  7. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    The Cards are NOT a quality football club. Their D sucks and their QB & RB are 100 years old! Did any of you watch the first 2 TDs of the game? The success of their first 2 drives had nothing to do with their competence. Rather, they were successful due to the Miami Dolphins' incopetence!

The Cards will finish as a 7-9/9-7 team who will miss the playoffs. Mark my words. And they CRUSHED us today.

phinfanuk likes this.
  8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    How are you going to say they're not a quality and good team and then say they could finish 9-7?

phinfanuk likes this.
  9. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    If you honestly believe that then I'm afraid you're sorely mistaken. Don't let history blind your judgement. The Cardinals have the tools to be the real deal this year. Now, as always, they have to show up every week which has been their issue in the past, especially under Denny Green. However, when they do show up they are going to be a team to reckon with and there is no shame in losing to them. HOwever, there is shame in how we played today.

10. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    yeah, that crappy defense that held us under 100 yards at halftime......

11. Lab3003

Lab3003 Golden era

Nov 23, 2007
    Bal Harbour, FL
    Are the Cardinal on defense good enough to shut teams out? Absolutely not. But offensively they're as good as one right now. Dallas included

12. beemerdaddy

beemerdaddy 2008 AFC EAST CHAMPS

Mar 23, 2008
    ORLANDO FL
    We lost to a very good team they will win there div. They have a great qb and great wr and rb and cb i think they are a much better team then the jets so just calm down everyone we where never going to win every game this year got to love those dolphins

13. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    1. Its only week 2. My assertion that the Cards are crappy is as valid as your assertion that they are not. The majority of NFL teams will finish between 7-9/9-7. That is crap to me.

2. The quality of the Cards is secondary to my main point: we're worse than I anticipated. The talent cupboard is bare. We got a LOOOOOONG way to go.

14. Texphinphan

Texphinphan Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    We are not a lot worse than I expected, but I am disappointed. I was hoping for 6 wins this season and looking at schedule, I really see only 5 realistically winnable games. Houston, Oakland, San Fran, St Louis and KC Not that we will be favorites, but are winnable. Based on these last 2 games, I do not expect we will win all of these games. Hopefully we will get 3 wins and then steal a win from a team I do not expect.
    Am also disappointed by the number of penalties in these games. That is something which can be overcome with discipline.

15. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Exactly. Im not sure why people took the Cards lightly today. They have two of the best receivers in the game in Boldin and Fitzgerald, and Steve Breaston is no slouch either. Warner can easily pick a D apart when its weak, and when he has time to throw. The defensive front is strong and quick. Sure they handed it to us good today, but they are definately NOT a crappy team. Historically, yes. Now, No.

Brown42000, gafinfan and beemerdaddy like this.
  16. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Very good team? Great QB? NO WAY. Kurt Warner is 100 years old. You put a small amount of pressure on him and he folds. Edge James is toast. He's done. They may be better than the stinking jets, but so what? Those guys suck too.

Cardinals suck. And they whipped our asses!

And of course, I love My Dolphins!!!

17. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    im starting to think you didn't watch the game

18. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I'm just gonna say go sleep off the booze and come back with a clear head cause you're obviously not thinking clearly.

19. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    The Cards and the Jets both look like playoff teams to me.

Yeah, this team has alot of work left to be done, but it's year one of the rebuilding process and this poor play was to be expected.

BleedinGreenNC and alen1 like this.
  20. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Saying that they suck because they are 100 years old is no argument. It is your opinion and nothing else so stop acting like you are the only one who knows anything. If this is all the argument you have, then you have nothing, and this is just a rant. Bring some FACTS to the table, not opinion pretending to be fact.

21. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    You got me there! I'm just ranting.

But we will revisit the issue that the Cards suck, and I believe I will be vindicated. Same with the jets. Neither teams are any good...and we just lost to both of 'em!

22. first&goal

first&goal Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    The Cards are a good team, the past history does't not reflect how they are playing this year. Frankly in my opinion, I was more impressed by the Cards then the Jets, but really makes no difference since for some reason we are not able to play a decent game...yet. We are rebuilding, which is a fact, but I would like to see more consistency and less mental errors.

gunn34 likes this.
  23. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I think the key word is, they happen to be good "now", because unless Whisenhunt has exorcised the demons that possess that team, there's little reason to assume they'll endure the regular season, looking remotely like the team we faced today.

If he has rid that team of its evils, maybe we can consult him to expel ours.

24. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    We're exactly as I anticipated. We got beat in the air once we handled the run. People thought we had a decent pass D but I keep mentioning it's only because we had an extremely poor run D. And today showed it. Even the almighty Will Allen had his bad moments. Couldn't get an easy pick and for someone people consider a top 10 CB, wasn't even around on most of the big plays the Cards WR's had.

The Cards are a team on the rise and they will win the NFC West (only because the rest suck). We're still looking for answers.

25. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I don't know how good the Cardinals will wind up being, but I know one thing for sure: they're not as good as they looked today against us. We're just bad. Very, very bad.

26. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Jets will be a 8-8 team at best this season.

27. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    The Cardinals suck? I must not have gotten the memo. I did not realize that a dynamic offense and aggressive young defense equaled suck.

28. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    alright, garden is ranting. just dont see why everybody has to gang up on him

29. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    And you know they have those why? Because of their performance against us? Isn't that a circular argument?

30. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    I agree.

The Cards have a great receiving tandem but thats about it.

Edge is not Edge of the Colts anymore, Warner isn't Warner of the Rams anymore and yet we made them look like their Pro Bowl players of lore and had that rookie running back (Hightower?) blast us on 3 and 7 from inside their own 10 for like 14 yards at one point.

I am actually shocked that Warner is even in the league anymore as he was considered washed up 2 years ago after the injury bug caught up to him (I remember some of you clamoring for us NOT to sign him because he was garbage and Gus Frerotte I believe it was, was better:lol:), but I guess having 2 Pro Bowl WRs will resurrect anyone's career.

All in all, we came out lethargic out of the gate ....AGAIN. I have never seen a Fins team show such little emotion. We got run over by a freight train today.

I said before that this team reminds me of the mediocre 1989 team. I take it back because our 1989 team would've blown this Cards team out of the water.

31. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    If the Raiders were to play us they would look like a play-off team. Every team that plays us seems to have someone produce pro-bowl like numbers. while im not saying the Cards suck but it's true, we make other team's look good esp the way we played today. Don't we play KC & the Rams this year? We shall see when we play against them if this holds true.

32. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

33. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    9-7 doesn't make for a "quality" football team?

34. Vampire Baby

Vampire Baby New Member

May 5, 2008
    The Phins aren't real good but The Cardinals are a real good football team.

Everyone chose a bad day to piss away their cash. :lol:

35. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If you were to watch each team play and then based off of similar factors such as how quickly do defenders pursue, the ball, how tough are the plays being made etc etc...

I can tell you that the Broncos-Chargers looked far more impressive.

Arizona has played a couple of piss poor teams (SF is blughhh). If anything they are about as good as last year's Seattle team, if that. They will win the division however.

36. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Hahaha!!!! Boy was I wrong with so many things in this post! I happily eat the crow.

Posted via Mobile Device

37. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Lol. Dont be ashamed. I thought the Cards sucked to.

38. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Not if you went through that pain in person. There WR's are so fast in there own house. That was by far the loudest stadium I have been to. There fans were really cool as well.:wink2:

39. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Even if the Cards win the superbowl it is still hard for me to believe they do not suck.

This is the craziest thing ever.

Fin D and PMZQ like this.
  40. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    I thought Haley called a great game against us. Little did I know they had a pretty solid defense too! Good for them! I hope they beat the Steelers...