1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Were Bess & Hartline's Number of TDs an Issue?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by shouright, Jan 19, 2013.

Did Tannehill struggle in any way that wasn't caused by anyone else in the world?

1. No

25.9%
  2. Yes

74.1%
  1. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Too many times against a speed rush, he would flush out of the pocket to his right side and retreat too far away from the LOS, making just about any chance for a successful play non-existent. He developed and got a lot better at avoiding this as the season progressed. Instead he would step up in the pocket more often and we saw it pay dividends against Seattle, for example.

I do believe he was a tad slow on his reads, as mostly all rookies are. I think a big indicator of this was that our checkdown receiver was always covered rather well. The linebackers were able to get into position to cover the RB and TE closely by the time Tannehill had looked off his primary targets.

Accuracy was an issue at times, but I'm not sure he was necessarily more inaccurate than the average NFL QB, so I'm not overly concerned about this yet.

I could probably think of more as he is a rookie and they probably demonstrate many flaws that a top veteran QB doesn't. But those are just off the top of my head.

I saw progress in key areas throughout the season, so I'm optimistic. I know Chad Henne is irrelevant here, but I just can't remember seeing any progress from him after the beginning of that 2nd year. We naturally hoped and assumed he would progress. But no dice. Tannehill's intelligence combined with the progress I've seen has me hopeful.

cuchulainn and shouright like this.
  2. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA

Shou.... you are better than this.... Com'on, Man!!!!!!

shouright likes this.
  3. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I think any rookie, regardless of position is going to listen to Jake Long. Long doesn't seem to ever be jocular. He probably grimaces in good humor, even. Second, Long has the complete respect of the team and is one of the leaders. Any team member, including the QB is going to listen to him. I thought it showed favorably on Tannehill that he didn't challenge Long publicly at that juncture, but took the advice of a vet as any rookie should. That said, in another season or two, I would very much expect to see a more fiery demeanor from Tannehill in regards to dealing with anyone on the team - especially when WRs or the backs fook up... Right now, he comes across as having a bit much of that amicable cornbred fed, aw shucks and please pass the apple pie, Opie Taylor good nature about him. Expect that to change over time...

Killer Bees and shouright like this.
  4. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Dunno if he wants to be the next Danny Touchdown, but he is extremely amicable, intelligent, and coachable. You could almost see him taking what he did wrong from one game and having it corrected by the next one or two.

To me, the biggest hindrance to him was once his knee was injured and he wore the brace. He was not planting his leg with the brace and stepping into his throws during that duration. A lot of his passes at that time were all arm strength and either standing flat footed or off his back foot. This affected his accuracy. The Dec game where he took the brace off, was night and day I thought to how he played in Nov.

shouright likes this.
  5. PhinsFan93

PhinsFan93 New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    The thing that bothered me was that he would hold on to the ball for too long and miss, dare I say it, *gulp* open receivers. The last New England game where he threw the ball to ___? and it turned into an INT when Hartline was wide open on a crossing route is an example. Another thing is his throwing motion looked a bit odd at times or maybe that was just me...?

shouright likes this.
  6. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    He had several bad games - Houston, Tenn, the last NE game. Missing Bess', Thomas, and Clay were apparent in the last game I thought. Also, much like in the Houston game to start the season - don't discount the opposing defense simply being on point and making plays. They were specifically mixing up coverage's and had him off balance.

shouright likes this.
  7. PhinsFan93

PhinsFan93 New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    I agree. When he's on a roll there's no stopping him which is one of the few things I like about him. When defenses start to disguise what they're doing is when he shows his inexperience. Hopefully he learns to adjust.

shouright likes this.
  8. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    It better. ;)

9. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Careful, I may start a poll and a thread all about whether the receivers ever did anything right that was caused by nobody but them. ;)

10. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    No I'm not. :)

11. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Right now the big difference between Henne and Tannehill is that Tannehill had quite a few more good games, defined as those with a QB rating of 90 or higher, in his rookie season than Henne did in 2009, when Henne was a 2nd-year player (first year as a starter, however). That particular stat is associated with long-term success, and it suggests Tannehill's ceiling is indeed higher than Henne's, which of course is good news, since I don't believe Henne is even an 80 QB rating guy over the long haul.

12. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't have a problem with this post, but I do have a problem with obvious troll bait poll. No player in the NFL is perfect and every player struggles with a deficiency. So why create a poll for something that is obvious?

13. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Well approximately 23% of the poll's respondents don't think it's so obvious.

Have you something to say to them, or did you already say it, implicitly?

14. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    It's really geared towards the both of you :)

15. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    A while back you were asked who you would have drafted first, Ryan Tannehill or Boise St. QB Kellen Moore. The point was who was actually the better QB, given that Moore had a much higher QB rating. If you chose Tannehill, it would have to be more of what your eyes told you, less about pure statistics that you seem to favor. If you chose Moore and used his higher QB rating as your sole guide- well, you'd be pretty much an idiot.

The point is that you never answered the question, and for good reason- you were painted into a corner, check mate, game over. There is no response that would have worked for you- so you ignored the question. Asking a girl if she farted would more likely get a response as opposed to asking you that question- iirc you muttered something about the QB rating system not being quite the same in college as it is in the pros- bravo, great non-answer.

This is just something that you might want to keep in mind when you hammer other people in terms of answering questions, because your hypocrisy is steep- I can't think of anyone else on this site who has run away, hidden from and ignored more direct questions as to their theories than you have.

MrClean and Fin D like this.
  16. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I've never made any statement about the construct or predictive validity of the college QB rating as I have the NFL QB rating. The question about college QB rating was irrelevant and therefore not answered. But I see you're still hung up on it. :)

17. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Well whatever you're "gearing" toward me is obviated by the fact that those 23% exist, so I'd suggest you move on to them. :)

18. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Not hung up on it, just struck by your sheer hypocrisy. The college and QBR rating systems are very similar, you just don't want to answer. And btw that's just one of any number of questions that you simply ignored in your threads.

I still get a laugh out of the QBR system that you provided and how it rated the all time great QBs. It's like reading the historical results of a beauty pageant and seeing where Rosie O'Donnell rated higher than Carmen Electra and the beauty pageant judge says, "Uh forget that one, it doesn't count." Uh, ok. Great beauty pageant you have there...

Fin D likes this.
  19. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    You're illustrating your lack of understanding of 1) construct and predictive validity in relation to NFL QB rating, and how they aren't necessarily present for college QB rating, and 2) correlation.

But hey, at least you're getting a laugh out of something. What do they say? Ignorance is bliss? :)

20. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Availability_heuristic

Anonymous likes this.
  21. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    The extent of that impact for Ryan Tannehill, per se, we have no idea.

22. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm gearing it towards you because the 23% are simply voting to protest the ludicrous nature of the poll question.

23. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Ah, OK. I would think the way to do that would be to make sure that number was zero. :headscratch:

24. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Great QBs don't need great talent around them to be successful. If RT needs to have exceptional talent like Atlanta does then Miami has the wrong QB.

I think the most telling sign is RT didn't succeed in college as a 5th year senior with good talent at WR running the same offensive system here in Miami. No way were Fuller and Swope the 56th worst talent at WR which is where RT ranked as QB.

25. Patssuck

Patssuck Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    M.I.A
    We don't even have above average talent on this team.

26. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    And the proof of that is, what? That Ryan Tannehill didn't perform like RGIII or Russell Wilson?

The Dolphins had the #7 defense in the league in terms of points allowed, and the #17 rushing offense in terms of yards gained. It had a rookie QB engineering its pass offense. The overall performance was as expected IMO, if not better.

27. Patssuck

Dec 2, 2012
    M.I.A
    The defense also went how many games without a turnover? Who had the second most sack? Running game was average at best.

28. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

Huh? :headscratch:

29. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Over the past 10 years teams that have won the Super Bowl best two options ranked the following that year in terms of yards...

Giants...#3 and #12
    Packers...#4 and #55
    Saints...#18 and #38
    Steelers...#15 and #38
    Giants...#21 and #42
    Colts...#2 and #3
    Steelers...#22 and #63
    Pats...#32 and #39
    Pats...#32 and #74
    Bucs...#16 and #54

Hartline was #16 and Bess was #46 while Bess missed 3 games. Beyond that Bush and Fasano are not a bad RB/TE duo for a QB. Makes me think young guns Luck/RG3/Wilson/Kaepernick would have been able to lead Miami to the playoffs considering the defense and running game were solid.

shouright likes this.
  30. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Hey, why do we need information like that when we have Helen Keller? :headscratch: ;)

31. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    LOL at the idea of Tannehill holding back Hartline & Bess despite having their BEST combined year to date and putting up yardage totals that exceed their actual talent level. WTH do you think would've been realistic for those two receivers had they had Luck/RG3/Wilson/Kaep if what they had with Tannehill was "underperforming"? 2400 combined yards? Gimme a fuggin' break. Sorry but this is a ridiculous post WADR.

32. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Why do we need any information when we have QB Rating providing all we need to know? :dunno:

33. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Ok, now rank them on tds.

If rt doesn't get the credit for their receiving yards, he doesn't get the blame for their lack of tds either.

Fin D and ToddPhin like this.
  34. Patssuck

Dec 2, 2012
    M.I.A
    Defense was average. Running game was average at best. Also how did those receivers rank when it came to tds?

35. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    The average number of pass attempts thrown per TD by the 27 QBs who played significantly as rookies since 2004 is 39.83.

Ryan Tannehill's number?

He played like a typical rookie.

Ah, but what's the use. Helen Keller coulda told you all that. :lol: ;)

36. Patssuck

Dec 2, 2012
    M.I.A
    I agree he was average. The whole team was average.

37. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Actually Tannehill was below average in terms of QB rating, but that was to be expected given his rookie status.

38. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    If anything, I take that as encouraging.

But the post I referred to was about hartline and bess having good yardage.

They each had 1 td. Pathetic. Best comeback route wrs in the league. Nothing else.

39. Patssuck

Dec 2, 2012
    M.I.A
    Team was blah. We have few very good players, all of them are on defense with the exception of Pouncey and maybe Bess and Hartline.

40. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    You're smiling and feeling like you pulled that out of your arse but you really didn't. Unfortunately having Bess & Hartline as a starting duo is the EXACT reason Tanny's attempts per TD was no different than the average QB. Fortunately Tannehill had some TE's, running backs, and backup/practice squad caliber receivers he could throw TDs to or else he'd be at 2 for the year. Not to mention, what the the receiver does on his end (after the catch ability and playing the ball in the air ability) has a direct impact on his QB's scoring production.

Fin D likes this.