1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wesley Johnson being worked out for Center

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatik, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    The Dolphins are looking for a replacement center, and they’re looking at someone with experience in the division. According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Dolphins are working out center Wesley Johnson this morning.

Johnson was released by the Lions in final cuts this summer. He was originally a fifth-round pick of the Steelers. He started 15 games for the Jets last year, and would give the Dolphins the kind of immediate fill-in they need.

They’ve lost center Daniel Kilgore and guard Josh Sitton to injury already this season.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    He was drafted in 2014 so he's a younger guy. Here's his college draft report; I have no idea if he cleaned up his "weaknesses" yet-

STRENGTHS
    Quick out of his stance. Natural bender with athletic, coordinated movement. Light on his feet and can work his hips. Keeps his hands inside and can pop and recoil. Shuffles, slides and mirrors. Gets to the second level with ease and can wheel around the edge as a puller. Durable, versatile 51-game starter -- has experience playing all across the line. Highly respected, passionate, no-nonsense vocal leader and two-time team captain.

WEAKNESSES
    Average length. Is not built for power. Needs to bulk up and get functionally stronger. Light anchor -- stressed by power rushers. Does not jolt defenders with his hands. Average explosion/pop on contact. Inconsistent connecting with moving targets and fitting on linebackers. Has had difficulty filling out his frame and maintaining weight.

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  3. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    I realize we are signing him as a backup to the backup, and I am not trying to be negative here, but we haven't done a real good job of developing our guys. It could be a matter of trying to make chicken salad out of chicken ****, but if he has a lot to work on then I don't hold out much hope. IMO, the bane of a 1st time HC is it takes a while to accumulate a good coaching staff. Can a HC, like Gase, last long enough to do so?