1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What’s the more important position in the secondary?, where should Mink play moving forward?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Nov 22, 2018.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Thought certain members or anyone, could break it down to see how we best use this queen chess piece moving forward..And which position is actually the most important in defensive football moving forward?

I wrote this predraft so it’s topics I’ve been thinking about a lot..

Still would take Mink > Derwin James..

“He displays the skillset in college to play a high level version of corner, movement, foot speed, mirroring skills and plant foot speed was hi level..deploy where you want it’s gonna be great anywhere..”

“We just need to figure out what’s the most important position, not the most important position for him relative to his skillset, because the notion that his skillset is best suited at safety isn’t valid imo.”

Here’s the article that may suggest they might be having some discussions..

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sport...hing-include-make-pro-bowls-as-outside-corner

Which position should it be??

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  2. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    He's proven himself capable everywhere so I'd go with conditional usage allowing others to play where they're strongest and have him fill the gap, or match him up against strong opponents.

This would at least permit further lessening for him and the coaches to see what he can do.

Surfs Up 99 and djphinfan like this.
  3. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I don't know defensive schemes enough to talk intelligently about it, but it seems like we get ourselves in trouble when we're in zone coverage. And the biggest problem is that they'll shut it down, allow a short pass, shut it down and then have broken coverage on a 20 yard pass over the middle. It's not tight ends necessarily torching us this season either....it's a primary receiver that just smokes the coverage because someone screws up.

If it were me, I'd put Minkah on the field every possible snap either in the slot, boundary or roaming free as a safety. And if he does get beat then so be it....he's a rookie that only gets better after every single mistake. The way the kid studies film and works his *** off to get better puts him above McCain in my opinion and I'd turn him loose as much as possible.

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  4. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    I like this idea you had. We'll just call him Fitz the Fixer and have him fix our toughest DB matchup on defense.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Bobby McCain should only be a slot corner. So the choice for Fitz is outside corner or free safety.

In a perfect world, I'd put him at fs and draft a corner in April. But I guess well see what the team chooses.