what are the expectatons for this next season ?

146 replies

AquafinAquafinNew MemberOP
Apr 30, 2012, 01:43 PM

i know its early but i am curious as to what would make you happy in terms of wins and losses .

this isjust me but i am feeling moreconfident about our defense and maybe our special teams . the thing that has me frustrated is that we seem to create more holes then we actually fill .

i think the oline will be better , the tightends and runningbacks I hope will be better but i dont really feel all that swell about the wr corp.

to me if Miami finishes 2nd in the east and wins 10 games will be a great year..

a 9-7 will be a improvement even if we finish 3rd place.

a 8-8 will be a ok season but it meas we still dont have agood offense.

a 7-9 season means we that our draft picks are not as good as we needed them to be .

a six win or less season means ? well you tell me what would that mean.

realisticly a 9 win season is not that far fetched. so i am thinking 7 -9 wins with maybe a 1 10 win best case senario .

Am I expecting too much or not enough here ?

SKSkyfire023Forum Veteran
Apr 30, 2012, 01:48 PM

16-0 Super Bowl champs!!!!!!!!!!!

Fin-OmenalFin-OmenalNew Member
Apr 30, 2012, 02:26 PM

I really wont care about the record this year, how we are developing ecspecially at QB will tell the tale if you ask me.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Apr 30, 2012, 02:38 PM

Once again, like it or not, there is a new sheriff and town with lots of new deputies, must be patient with the new staff, allow them to implement their strategies and philosophies, give them a fair amount of support so they are not battling two opponents, see how hard, smart and tough the team plays, then assess from a talent perspective, what was responsible for the results, did certain players that Ireland acquired last year improve?, did his draft class flash this year?, then decide what to do with the GM position..I will keep in mind that this coaching staff might need more than one year to build a team with their type of players..

jboogiejboogieForum Veteran
Apr 30, 2012, 02:44 PM

10 wins and the week 17 game against the pats determining if we get a wildcard spot.

schmoliootschmoliootSupporter
Apr 30, 2012, 02:45 PM

Offensively, things could be brutal this year, which easy schedule or not, doesn't lend itself to a ton of victories.

but in reality, this season is really only about one thing, getting Ryan Tannehill ready to play and succeed at a high level. Nothing else really matters.

BlameItOnTheHenneBlameItOnTheHenneForum Veteran
Apr 30, 2012, 02:47 PM

Blow for Barkley!!!

wait, what?

AguaAguaForum Veteran
Apr 30, 2012, 02:52 PM

I have no expectations for this season. Years in which I have low expectations seem to be the seasons the Dolphins surprise to the upside, so there ya go.

sws84sws84New Member
Apr 30, 2012, 03:03 PM

We have a new coach and with it a new offense and defense, so I just hope to see some real progress especially with our QB situation. If all goes well, maybe when the draft rolls around next year, we can focus on building on a solid nucleus instead of debating which QB to roll the dice on next.

Coral ReeferCoral ReeferNew Member
Apr 30, 2012, 03:13 PM

8-8 tops.

Another round of rebuilding.
At this point you have to realize we took a step back at WR, We hope but we don't know that our OL will make a step up this year, New offense system, new HC, New Defensive scheme, new OC, new DC, at this point you have to wonder where we will generate a pass rush from, safety position still up in the air........

Way too much to overcome.
This is a year to build towards winning in the future period.

RIP Jetssuck

DSdsteveNew Member
Apr 30, 2012, 03:27 PM

I don't care how many wins we get this season. I only care about seeing towards the future. If i see promise and direction I'll be thrilled. Things I would like to see;

1. If Tannehill see te field I'd like to see a sense of confidence and him getting better at reading defenses and going through his progression. Just an overall adjustment to the speed of the NFL over college. I'd expect this from any rookie qb, andrew luck RGIII...doesn't matter. Thats what you look for.

2. I'd like to see an increased role for a healthy daniel thomas.

3. An increased production from Bush. Doesn't need to be from the traditional RB spot. Think brian westbrook back in the days when Mcnab was good or the way the saints tried and kinda failed to use him but succeded with a less talented sproles.

3. Hartline and Bess having 70-80 catches each to go along with near 1000 yards. Would speak to the new system and the devlopment of talent, especially hartline.

4. The right side of the line fixed. Matrin starting from day 1 and being productive. While we're at it, jake long returning to form and staying healthy.

5. Sean smith stepping into the number 2 cb role or marshell...either way. CB has to be fixed, we've spent too much on it already to be as bad as we are.

6 an answer at saftey which i dont see coming.

RoukRoukForum Veteran
Apr 30, 2012, 03:35 PM

rebuild year this draft will look a lot better next season not very many impact players for this season I say 6-10 or 5-11

The G ManThe G ManForum Veteran
Apr 30, 2012, 04:31 PM

I fear another year of mediocrity in terms of wins and losses. Probably 6-10 or 7-9. BUT...I hope to see a team that is getting better as the season plays out, and is competitive. I really hope to see a young QB that makes good decisions and plays with some passion. And, I'd love to see 2-3 of the guys we drafted this year really show some flashes at the next level. And, I hope to see some of the guys drafted from the last 2-3 years take that next step to proving why Ireland drafted them. In short, I want to see some of the pieces come together so there is some sense of confidence that looking towards 2013 we have fewer holes to fill than we've had the last several years.

But, what I really, really want to see is a team that wins most/all of their home games (especially divisional rivals). More than anything this team needs to reestablish itself as a physical, smash-mouth football team.

http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg

MRmracerNew Member
Apr 30, 2012, 04:41 PM

On the bright side the Fins have a soft schedule this year. However, I would be surprised if we win more than 5 games. More importantly, we have a ton of players with expiring contracts. I'd be surprised if we resign half of them. Irish is going to have a cap nightmare trying to resign Long, Wake, Fasano, Davis, Starks, McDaniels, Bush. Did I miss anyone? I think Bush is gone unless he resigns on the cheap.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Apr 30, 2012, 04:43 PM

In all honesty, I think we'll be better than we've been. We improved every area of the team on paper. Hell, even our defensive backfield should get a boost from our DC who is known as a secondary guru.

OzzyOzzyLuxury Box
Apr 30, 2012, 04:52 PM

"Finascious D wrote:

In all honesty, I think we'll be better than we've been. We improved every area of the team on paper. Hell, even our defensive backfield should get a boost from our DC who is known as a secondary guru.

They've improved a lot of areas but I don't see how trading Marshall away makes the Wr's better...

The system can only be so friendly to a Wr group. I get that they wanted to part ways with his off the field antics but on the field, this team needs someone at least CLOSE to his production.

http://images.thephins.com/signaturepics/sigpic83_3.gif

Coral ReeferCoral ReeferNew Member
Apr 30, 2012, 04:54 PM

"Ozzy wrote:

They've improved a lot of areas but I don't see how trading Marshall away makes the Wr's better...

The system can only be so friendly to a Wr group. I get that they wanted to part ways with his off the field antics but on the field, this team needs someone at least CLOSE to his production.

LOL.... get ready to be entertained.

RIP Jetssuck

Dolphin1184Dolphin1184New Member
Apr 30, 2012, 04:55 PM

I want to see Lamar Miller running all over defenses.

Rhody Phins FanRhody Phins FanForum Veteran
Apr 30, 2012, 05:05 PM

I'm guessing 5 to 6 wins. I really just want to see promise from our young players.

Coral ReeferCoral ReeferNew Member
Apr 30, 2012, 05:09 PM

I cannot see how we've "improved all areas on paper."
This statement is clearly made about our draft picks and assuming they are all going to be producers which most will realize won't happen unless we basically end up having one of the best drafts ever. If you assess the known commodities which are established NFL players we have signed or lost there are no upgrades whatsoever to see. We were very conservative in signing any free agents and lost a major player. We have some younger players we hope will show advancement and step up this year but their impact is completely unknown at this point.

To say we have improved every area of the team simply is not an objective comment.
Looking at the roster, the amount of positions that are going to depend on youth and the positions that are clearly weak points like Safety, WR, and Pass rush deficiencies it's a good bet we'll take a small step back this year.

RIP Jetssuck

JimTossJimTossForum Veteran
Apr 30, 2012, 05:21 PM

Id be pleasantly surprised to see more than 6 wins.

AguaAguaForum Veteran
Apr 30, 2012, 05:37 PM

"dsteve wrote:

5. Sean smith stepping into the number 2 cb role or marshell...either way. CB has to be fixed, we've spent too much on it already to be as bad as we are.

6 an answer at saftey which i dont see coming.

Maybe Croyle can do something with Smith and the Safeties, but I agree.

Sean Smith needs to get his head into the game and keep it there.

FiresoleFiresoleNew Member
Apr 30, 2012, 07:01 PM

The only 2 expectations I have are:

Win more than 7 games and score more TDs/kick less FGs

RIRiloNew Member
Apr 30, 2012, 08:15 PM

I believe this season depends on how Gates develops and/or if we get a veteran WR/ uncover a UDFA that can make cornerbacks have to turn instead of just backpedal to keep up. With 2 tight ends that can catch and a explosive backfield I see us going 11-5. If we do not get a WR that makes cornerbacks respect them on every play i see 8-8 season.

I believe our line play will be severely improved so i believe in this team...Drink the kool aid it is good....

Welcome to the Mark Stoops Era @ Kentucky Football
Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong

MOmommabillyNew Member
Apr 30, 2012, 08:18 PM

"aquafin wrote:

i know its early but i am curious as to what would make you happy in terms of wins and losses .

This isjust me but i am feeling moreconfident about our defense and maybe our special teams . The thing that has me frustrated is that we seem to create more holes then we actually fill .

I think the oline will be better , the tightends and runningbacks i hope will be better but i dont really feel all that swell about the wr corp.

To me if miami finishes 2nd in the east and wins 10 games will be a great year..

A 9-7 will be a improvement even if we finish 3rd place.

A 8-8 will be a ok season but it meas we still dont have agood offense.

A 7-9 season means we that our draft picks are not as good as we needed them to be .

A six win or less season means ? Well you tell me what would that mean.

Realisticly a 9 win season is not that far fetched. So i am thinking 7 -9 wins with maybe a 1 10 win best case senario .

Am i expecting too much or not enough here ?

" just win baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

http://images.thephins.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3648_5.gif