1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your feelings on Henne????

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by 2socks, Sep 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I guess my opinion is still reserved. I am not at all impressed and I'm not in a panic because I think he will be okay.....but that's my problem he does nothing for me.

What do you guys think????

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    he looked really good Vs NO......he will be fine, iam happy with what we have as our backup QB

3. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    The kid has looked good when he's got some talent around him. He seems to have struggled when playing with the 2nd teamers and scrubs.

I think he needs more experience and hoping Sparano does like he mentioned and gives him some playing time during the regular season.

If Henne doesn't pan out, then I'm afraid all this regime will accomplish is climbing out of the depths and back into the mediocrity that we've been mired in for years....there's a LOT riding on this kid. Our future to be exact.

JS

huck1974 and adamprez2003 like this.
  4. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    really? I was just watching NO and it prompted me to make this post. I didn't see anything worth noting. Just curious how others felt. Do you think he could take over for Penne and we wouldn't skip a beat??

5. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    not yet.....thats why he is 2nd on the depth chart.....he made some good throws, started out 7 for his first 7......and had avery nice throw on the run to ted ginn

6. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    My concern the medoicre looks and our future:unsure:

7. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Yea that throw to Ginn was a beauty. One of the better throws I've seen in a while!!!!!

8. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I am not impressed with Henne after all the high praise coming out of the Trio on him as to his progress (as they see it). If he's so good he should have been fighting for the starters spot can any here say, in truth, that he looks ready to start? Anyone???:shifty:

As I said in an earlier post he reminds me of Drew Bledsoe - great arm - but in no way was he ever a franchise QB IMHO.

Please Jeff just keep looking and for heavens sake resign Penny!!!:up:

NorFlaFin, Xeticus and 2socks like this.
  9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Henne is growing into a starting QB as an understudy to a Master of the game.

10. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I think he could start right now and handle himself quite well. Would he be as efficient, probably not, but I think we would see bigger plays with him at the helm. I think he's at the stage now where he needs playing time to improve. He's not really going to grow much more sitting on the bench

11. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm very satisfied with Henne. As far as I can tell, he can make all the throws. his biggest problem is timing. he holds the ball too long and doesn';t make his reads fast enough, but all of that irons itself out after more playing time. I think henne will be just fine.

12. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Henne is making progress...but nothing other than more playing time and experience will get him to the point he needs to be wrt reading defenses.

13. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Wait and see.

He's got the arm, but there's a Mount Everest-sized boneyard of great NFL arms that were attached to non-NFL-caliber Quarterbacks.

My gut feeling: John Beck, Part II.

PS17, Xeticus and 2socks like this.
  14. GRT8

GRT8 Premium Member Luxury Box

Mar 24, 2008
    Virgina
    Oh my! oh My!....He can make all the pro throws and has a very good arm. He HASN"T played in a game that counts when the blood is flowing! He has the potential, but you haven't seen him yet.

Here in lies the problem too. When he does play everyone( fans ) will expect him to be perfect from the start. The only way he can be very good is to play when it counts, not holding the clipboard!

MrClean, anlgp, 2socks and 1 other person like this.
  15. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    So does putting him in mean we have to sacrifice a season or 2 of 5-11, 7-9 in order for him to take us where we want to go :confused2:

16. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Are we so conditioned to failure and disappointment that we expect immediate success and gratification or do we as fans give up on a player too soon? I am surprised there is not a, we should have drafted Matt Ryan post on this thread. Henne must have shown Parcells, Ireland and Sparano something or they would be looking for more insurance behind Pennington. IMHO I think Henne is learning behind one of the best teachers he could have in the NFL. If given a chance and time Henne may become a good quarterback. Not all good and great quarterbacks become an instant success, some take time to develop.

17. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    would you mind naming a few?

18. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    How about Chad Pennington. Didn't start a game til his third year.

Matt Cassel's pretty obvious. Drew Brees was terrible his first few years. Kurt Warner couldn't even get on an nfl squad.

2socks likes this.
  19. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    He just needs more reps. Don't forget he's been throwing to guys with very little to no NFL experience. I like how he throws the ball. Chad's intelligent and knows where placement needs to be based on where coverage is, and has shown promising accuracy on making those throws IMO.
    Posted via Mobile Device

RickyNeverInhaled and 2socks like this.
  20. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Not to knock your post because it did take Brees two years and the threat of being pulled for him to revive himself. Matt Cassel will be a one year wonder, wait and see, you can't blame Kurt for a coach's blindness. BTW you could put Johnny U on your list too. He was cut by none other than the Steelers and then only brought into the Colts as a back up cause he wasn't protypical at the time!!

As to John Beck, with his 108 QB rating this PS, after only playing in less than 1/2 of one PS game last year, nothing during RS last year, and only one series game two and all of game four this PS, the second if memory serves, plied against Henne's time last year PS, RS, OTA's, and all PS games this year so far plus Tony and Jeff's indorcement and his 70's rating this PS (including playing time with our first stringers). No, I'm not impressed with our Mr. Henne and I hope and pray that Penny stays upright or IMHO we are in trouble. :wink2::shifty:

Dolfan13 likes this.
  21. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Assuming Penninton stays healthy, I think they put Henne in this year when the score is lopsided either way or Pennington is ineffective. Next year we have a fight for the starting position. If Henne wins Pennington becomes a player-coach. If Henne loses he continues to play every time the score gets lopsided or Pennington is ineffective. Sort of like Craig Morton and Roger Staubach.

22. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    That about sums it up. When Henne was in briefly with the first stringers, he looked great out there. even with the second team he looked pretty damn good still. He needs to play now, I see him maybe getting some time in there this year.

As for the doubters... What do you really want from him? He had a good preseason, only threw one pick that i recall, should have had an extra TD pass that Williams dropped. He did everything we asked him to do on the field. Did he have a rough outing against tampa? Yes, did he bounce back strong from that outing against the saints? Heck yes! What more can you ask for at this point? Why wouldnt you be impressed. He's not making stupid mistakes often, he's accurate, and has a strong arm, and seems to have good command over the team on the field. So, what's not to be impressed with? Is it because he didnt lite it up in the preseason and throw for 7 or 8 td's? I mean come on, its preseason. We didnt really show anything offensively at all.

Henne is going to be fine, he's going to be the future of this team, and I really don't think we have anything to worry about. He's learning from one of the best game management qb's there is, and he has all the physical tools, and a great coaching staff as well. Nothing to worry about....

23. GRT8

Mar 24, 2008
    Virgina
    No, but don't expect him to be a veteran playing at a high level, because there is only so much you can do watching and practicing. Game speed is much faster than practice speed.

resnor, adamprez2003 and 2socks like this.
  24. GRT8

Mar 24, 2008
    Virgina
    I'll be the first to make a bold statement. Lets call it what it is.......

If Chad gives you the best chance to succeed, that is a bold statement. Its hard to replace a QB that played so well last year and on a team that is still building its identity. Sure Miami won the division. BUT did they do it when New England had Brady? I am proud of what Miami accomplished, but to expect it this year is a tougher challenge, period!

To maintain team karma, Penny should start again. The team wants him to also ( the players). With that said, Henne is the future and at what point do you play him? If Chad is healthy all year( chances are against it ) do you site Henne another year? I think Miami has two good QB's and capable of playing in a team role within the game plan. There is only one QB on the roster capable of taking over a game though and his name is Henne!

The real problem is the fact the offensive system doesn't take advantage of Henne's arm, so when he is the starter, will the OC change? That will be the challenge, MARK MY WORDS. :)

cnc66 likes this.
  25. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

how about Aaron Rodgers ??

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  26. Larryfinfan

Perhaps, but the real reason that folks are 'disappointed' in Henne is that we had Penny fall into our laps last August. If that doesn't happen, this is a totally different thread. The reason for the thread was that 2socks wasn't enamored with Henne. Had Penny not come to us, either Henne would be going into his second year as a starter with us enamored with his progress as a starter or he'd have bombed and we'd all be real upset that White has flopped so far as a proset QB. So to harp on whether Henne is 'ready' or not is useless until Penny steps down, breaks down or rides off into the sunset and it's not Henne's fault at all...

2socks likes this.
  27. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Yes, I also believe that Henne wil be alright... but not as an elite franchise starter IMO...

He had a mediocre 74 QBR this Pre-Season (2 TDs, 2 INTs), completing 58% on 51 attempts, and averaging 6.1 YPA...

Any improvements from last pre-season???

Well he avg a mediocre 70 QBR (1 TD, 2 INTs), completing 63% on 63 attempts, and averaging 5.6 YPA...

Sporano say he has shown improvements in camp, physically you can see he has improved, but the overall fact is his stats, in the least, do not show really much improvement from his 1st TC...

On the other hand...look at Mark Shanchez...

He has a very good 111 QBR (3 TDs, 1 INT), completing 65% of his 37 attempts, and averaging a high 9.3 YPA...I know its Pre-Season... but can anyone tell me how many rookie QB's have had similar stats in the Pre-Season???

What I see is, IMO, the difference in a 1st round QB... I mean Henne has had 4 years as a starter in College and Sanchez had just one, I believe...

Can Sanchez, perform like that or close to it all year round??? The odds are he won't... but now, he looks a lot better to compete for a starting job than Henne does...

But, Sanchez will be a tough opponent for us, IMO (I hope I am wrong), if our pass rush is not consistant...

Again, I am not saying that Henne lacks the physical or mental abilities to be a starter at this level. All I am saying is that nothing that has come out of his stats so far, says he will be an elite QB...

With good weapons at his disposal (RBs, WR's and TE's), a good OL and a TOP 10 Defense to back Henne up...

So the question that I ask, is this...

Will we settle for an average starting QB once Penny leaves???

EDIT- Penny has a 64% completion, 101 QBR and 7.3 YPA, we all know why there is not a QB competition... Henne is not ready to compete...yet...

2socks and gafinfan like this.
  28. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Brian Brohm just got Cut if that means anything in this thread. The packers took him 1 pick before we took Henne. I actually think they may have traded to get ahead to take Brohm because they thought we were gonna take him.

Even if Henne doesn't turn out to be great, we got him for Chambers and I have no problem with the theory that we traded Chambers to take a shot on a franchise QB, whether it works out or not.

With that said, not many QBs succeed right away.

Rivers started in his 3rd season.
    Eli sucked his first 2 seasons
    Rodgers sat the bench for 3 years
    Brees as stated before was awful his first 2 years
    P. Manning was 3-13 with like 26 INTs his first year

Guys that succeed off the bat are rare, but if you tell me Henne will fail first and turn out like the guys I mentioned, I'll be ok with that.

RickyNeverInhaled likes this.
  29. GRT8

Mar 24, 2008
    Virgina
    You are right and I got off topic. Just came to my mind I guess. Bottom line; Henne can't impress you on the sideline or anyone for that matter. Insiders say he is very good mentally and in practice....which amounts to very little until it translates/correlates to wins on the field.

The Offensive system won't make any QB look like a hero in the small flashes of playing time that Henne has seen.

So my thoughts........on Henne not impressing him......Ummmmm......wait until he plays regularly. Whats the matter? is he holding the clipboard wrong? ( just kidding) :yes:

Larryfinfan and 2socks like this.
  30. GRT8

Mar 24, 2008
    Virgina
    different philosophy. different offensive system. Marino would dislike this offensive system.....I already know this is true. Henne is capable of being a downfield vertical QB.

Disnardo and Stitches like this.
  31. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    cool never followed those guys really, but now that you mentioned them, especially Cassell makes a mark. The only difference is those guys had 5,6,7 years of understudy. Chad will have 3 if we don't resign Penne. There is nothing wrong with being the backup. Someone's got to do it. Of course ego plays a factor when you are holding the clip board. Everybody wants to be the man.

I just wonder how long it really will be. I don't see us not resigning Penne with a rating of 101.7. Most likely it will be 3 - 5 year deal. So Henne may just get the years as a tutor that the others did!!!!!

Disnardo likes this.
  32. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I really wonder if that scenario happened if Penne would do just that. 10 years is a short career and Penne, barring injury, has a lot left to give. Heck Farve's working on year 20........

33. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I like the Henne P. Manning comparison :knucks:

Disnardo likes this.
  34. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Drew Brees
    Steve Young
    Are two that immediately come to mind and there are others

2socks likes this.
  35. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I think Parcells and Ireland know more about picking talent than we do on these boards, they chose to pass on Ryan and took Henne. Mostly they did that because they knew our first priority HAD to be the trenches. Secondly, Henne has shown he's got the arm and his record at Michigan indicated he's a gamer, and a winner. The way he took apart Florida in that Bowl game in the 4th Qtr was amazing.

We won't really know what we have fully in Henne until he sees playing time in regular season games. But I'll put my trust in Ireland/Parcells any day in choosing talent.

2socks and Larryfinfan like this.
  36. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    My problem with Henne isn't his statistical results, it's that he has absolutely no feel for the rush. He stands in the pocket which is great, but when it collapses he seems to have no feel for it whatsoever.

Disnardo likes this.
  37. Xeticus

Xeticus Junior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    I like Henne but I'm not blown away by him yet. he looks like a competent backup so far. At this rate I'd rather resign Penny for one more year assuming he plays well for us this year.

38. Larryfinfan

The most obvious one is Tom Brady...sat for a year and some before Bledsoe was hurt and the rest, as they say, is history... At any rate, because we have Penny, waiting on Henne isn't an issue and shouldn't be. The bottom line is that the acquisition of Pennington has delayed his progression as a starter and isn't an issue for the Fins...

39. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    exactly, and could it be possible it may be 5 maybe even 7 years before he gets an opportunity to play. If Penne continues to play at a high level and stays healthy.....well. Last I checked you don't loose your starting job to injury either. Not sure where Sparano sits on that one.............

Larryfinfan likes this.
  40. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Sanchez looked pretty aweful until his last game. Stats aren't always a good judge of a player, and in this case especially.

Sanchez is the definition of a guy with "Average Starter" written all over him.

HardKoreXXX likes this.