1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your good stories about Dolphins players?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan32323, Aug 2, 2012.

1. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    All right, I really can't come up with a good name for the thread but it is the offseason so spare me. What are some stories you have about meeting current/former Dolphins players fellow board members? I'm hoping somebody will have a story better than playing catch with Chris Clemons at Cosco :lol:.

I'll start off with my worst experience with a Phins player. I was a young child when my parents took me to The Q (now 24 hour fitness I think, a gym) to meet OJ McDuffie and get his autograph. This was when I was just really getting into football and the Dolphins and was ecstatic to meet OJ. My sister and I walked up to him to get an autograph, and saw he was on his phone so we waited patiently. He wouldn't get off his phone, however, and simply handed us 2 sheets of computer player with his autograph on it (not even a freaking picture) that he signed earlier and shooed us away. Needless to say even as a kid I knew that was pretty awful and threw the autograph away in the parking lot lol.

Some better experiences include meeting and talking with Pat Surtain and Ricky Williams after a practice and having them both sign my jersey. They were both extraordinarily nice and spent a lot of time with each fan. I also went to a sign and greet with Jay Fiedler and he was incredibly nice. There was a long line of people waiting for his autograph and he was personable and kind to each person. He must have signed around a dozen items for me (I was a middle schooler around this time) and even took pictures and customized the autographs. I remember walking away from that table with the biggest smile on my face. My most recent experience was meeting Lydon Murtha last season at the local car show every Friday night at the Tower Shops in Davie. He was out there showing off his red Mustang and chatting up football & car enthusiasts alike. Guy was extremely cool, and definitely stood out amongst the crowd lol.

So, fellow Phins fans, what are some of your experiences?

2. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Terrel Buckley is from the Mississippi Gulf Coast and when he was a Phin he would have teammates and other NFL celebs play an exhibition basketball game down here with a chat and autograph session beforehand. I had a Dolphin Digest with his game winning INT return (95+ yards) of a Jim Kelly pass on the cover with the title "SEE YA!" over the front page. I took it up to him for an auto and he's sitting by Shannon Sharpe. He acted like he'd never seen the Dolphin Digest before because he looked at it for about three seconds and I told him to sign it "right on top of Kelly" whose was laying crumpled on the ground. He then recognized the scene and started laughing and shoving it up in Sharpe's face saying "SEE YA!, SEE YA!, SEE YA!", and Sharpe wrinkled up his nose, slanted his eyes and turned his face away in mock disgust.

[Edited to include the following: Also got autos at the same session of Larry Izzo, Irving Spikes, and one or two other phins who, for the life of me, I can't remember. This was when Izzo and Spikes were with the Phins - I think it might have been following JJ's first season. Told Izzo to sign right on Kelly's @$$ and he laughed. Spikes just kept his head down, signed, didn't say anything.]

dolfan32323 likes this.
  3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    A friend of mine sold David Boston a 1/4 LB of killer weed. Thats about it.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I once got an autoggraph from Jason Taylor outside of Publix after he ran over my foor with his car.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I have the opposite story. went to the same junior high/high school as Terrell. He was a frickin prick. tried to bully every white kid in my gym class on a daily basis. came very close multiple times to full blown fights with the guy (I easily would have lost). funny as hell when he picked on the wrong nerd and that nerd then proceeded to kick his ***. I did have the satisfaction of catching a TD and burning TB (of course that was 8th grade before he blossomed). Overall, I had very mixed emotions for the guy. pride for a local boy who eventually played pretty well for our dolphins, hatred for the petty little bully he was in junior high. at least he mellowed out and focused on football in high school

dolfan32323 likes this.
  6. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I once met Chris Clemons at Costco...

Destroyer, CaribPhin and dolfan32323 like this.
  7. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    That's surprising. The thing that struck me about him most was how small he was and how much talent he must have to make such leaps and grabs going up against taller and more muscular receivers. Was he significantly bigger than the guys in your gym class at the time and then just quit growing or something? We had guys like that from time to time when I was in school but it was always my experience if you told them to STFU, they'd back down. Guess it didn't hurt that I was 6'2" when in HS.

8. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    When I was a kid it was basically just me and my mother living together in a rough part of Bethlehem Pennsylvania. She worked all the time and I was a latch key kid. Dolphins were my team and Marino was my guy (The one cheap *** poster I had of him came out of a Sports Illustrated for kids issue that I swiped from my school library). Marino and Charles Barkley back then were my dads.
    Anyway One night like any other night I fell asleep in my bed and entered into the conversation between the mind and soul we call dreams. In that dream I was at a wedding and the weather was warm and the sky was bright. I was standing outside of a church at the bottom of these gigantic steps waiting for my mother to come out. I remember the sidewalk I was standing on by myself and watching cars and traffic go by in slow motion. Looking up at the doors patiently I watched them open and out walked my mother and Dan Marino hand in hand dressed in their wedding outfits. They were both smiling the way newly married people do as they walked down the steps towards me. Life was good in that dream for a moment.
    Of course it was just that... A dream...I've moved on from it of course now as a 30 year old man struggling with life and it's harsh reality. I don't have a true blue awesome Dolphin story to tell you guys but just a dream.

I don't count my stint in Phoenix Arizona in 93-94 where I was able to get autographs from the likes of Douche bags like Ken Obrien after watching the Cardinals get blown out at home. Season tix those years were damn near free and Miami never came to AZ during that time so it was pointless.
    I did get Randall Hill and Gary Clarks autograph who eventually both played WR for the Dolphins for a season back in 95.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  9. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    If this story were about JB Brown I wouldn't be surprised at all that an 8th grader burnt him for a touchdown.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  10. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Me too. We played catch w/some cat food.

11. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    that was before many of the other kids started growing. my school was a little crazy. multiple NFL athletes within a span of a few years (Shane Matthews, Terrell, Kez McCorvey) + some NBA'ers (Antonio Harvey). tons of high powered athletes, most of them were decent people, but a few of them like Terrell just had a serious chip on their shoulder. pretty commonplace. many of the people down there, especially the african-americans lived in poverty, so athletics was their only way out, but it put a chip on their shoulder against any nerdy white kid. But, Ha, Ha! who's laughing now! ...Oh wait, he made millions playing football...dammit!

12. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    Met Jason Taylor while eating at Benihana's, he was sitting at my table with his wife and kids. He talked to us the whole time just like we had known each other for years. We actually didnt want to say anything to him, he started the convo by saying "so does anyone famous ever eat at beninhan's"

Danced with Zach Thomas at the Round up, while he had a cast on his leg. He kept saying "one crutch up, one crutch up". There were other players out that night but i dont remember who. (too much alcohol)

MrClean and dolfan32323 like this.