1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Could Be Done/OL Dreams

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phoenician Fan, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/8/1...whitworth-be-re-signed-by-the-bengals-in-2016

Andrew Whitworth is not happy with the Bengals FO. In fact he was publicly enraged when they drafted two OT's with high picks this spring.

The Dolphins could make a strong trade offer to the Bengals and possibly acquire him. Why? Because he isn't a good LT. he is a great LT.

PFF had him third last year behind only Joe Thomas and Jason Peters, and he is reportedly in the best shape of his life.

If the Dolphins were to let him and his agent know that they were interested and were willing to offer him a 3 year incentive laden back loaded contract worth a potential 30 mil it could get the ball rolling. Perhaps a threatened hold out or an actual holdout.

Nothing about such an acquisition would be easy or cheap. He is a damn good player. Bengals have about the weakest depth at WR outside of KC. They may give us some value for Rishard Mathews, and their depth at the guard positions is atrocious as well. They may give us some value for Dallas Thomas as well, but it will take draft pick or two to pry him away. He is old, that is why this is a legitimate conversation, but he is also elite.

What about Brandon Albert? Everyone knows Albert played guard all through college and wasn't moved to LT until he became a pro. IMO, he would be a potential All Pro RG and may extend his career by the move. I know he complained about a potential move when he was in KC but that was about staying at LT to get the big bucks. He already has his contract so that is no longer an issue. It would also allow him time to get to 100% and not have to try to play right away because the team is so desperate at LT.

What about LG? Sign Mathis immediately of course. The same kind of contract as Whitworth. Back loaded (3 yrs incentive laden). Dolphins have enormous cap room and flexibility come 2017 and forward. Give Miller a new contract as well locking him up for five years but keeping his 16 cap number nil. Vernon will walk because Terrence Fede is better than him and Shelby can be signed for a fraction of what Olivier is probably looking at. Dion Jordan??

What about the cap hell of 2016? Greatly over-hyped. First of all the general consensus is that the cap is going way up in 2016. There are also several moves that can be made like restructuring and cuts in the 2016 offseason or even this year for that matter. Example: Jordan Cameron has a cap hit of 9.5 mil in 2016 the final year of his two year deal. Yes, he may sustain a major head injury and retire but it is far more likely that he stays mostly healthy and flourishes in this offense. Dolphins will definitely want to extend him. They could easily do this and drop his 2016 cap number down to near nil by giving him a new contract with the big money in 17 and 18.

Reshad Jones needs to be locked up long term as well. An extension could drop his cap number way down in 2016 as well. Fields and others will be cut or traded in 2016 as well. Koa Misi and Brice McCain could become trade bait next offseason if they have good year's.
    We should have guys ready to replace them next year.

I'm not a capologist and I'm not going into all the numbers, but I think you get the picture; and this is without even examining the potential for restructuring Suh's or Tannehill's or Pouncey's contracts to get 16 relief.

Now, instead of risking a repeat of last year's debacle where PFF had our OL ranked dead last in the NFL, we put an all pro OL on the field and now the Dolphins may actually have a shot at the Super Bowl. Sorry to be a downer but if some of the blind optimists out there really think Tannehill is going to carry this team deep into the playoffs, well...your just nuts; it just ain't gonna happen. He is going to need all the help he can get and then some. An elite OL and a strong running game give him the potential to make us a top tier offense. Sorry,I'm still bitter about the Tannehill pick. I really really wanted Luke Kuechly. I saw Kuechly as sure thing first ballot HOFamer and it looks like I was right.

I'm nervous about the TE situation as well. A top notch blocking TE would be nice to have. Cameron,Stoneburner,and Robinson are all just big WR's. The Vikings are overflowing with TE talent and the latest news is that MyCoyle Pruitt has locked up the #2 TE position, it is no longer a competition. That means Ellison and Ford, who are both excellent blockers, are competing for the #3 position and they have Brandon Bostick in camp as well. Bostick has of course been greatly maligned for blowing the onsides kick reception in the NFC championship game but the kid is still young,has 4.5 speed and a 36 inch vertical and is actually a very good special teamer. I would offer the Vikings Billy Turner for either Ellison or Ford. RT Phil Loadholt is out for the season with an ACL. Maybe a 7th as well.

Dolphins would still have Douglas,Linkenbach,Fox, and Waldon? for depth as well as Brenner and an OT on the PS.

Maybe something like..... Ezekiel Elliott RB,Jeremy Cash Safety,Carson Wentz QB,Joe Haeg OT, Dean Lowry DE and a punter in the 16 draft.

2. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Not sure about dropping the mega bucks for an aging LT when we already have Albert. There are questions about Albert's post-injury performance but either way you don't make a move like this unless you're cutting bait. I don't think we're even close to that stage with Albert yet.

However, the general idea - finding trade partners to strengthen the OL (making use of our depth at WR and DL) - is a good one. The only question is who. If Whitworth is available, and really wants to get out, and Bengals really need WR help it might not take as much as you think, especially for a player on the up. Haven't really looked at the details. Whitworth has played LG in the NFL, and successfully. If he's willing to jump in at LG that would be an alternate to Mathis. The question would then be RG.

3. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    Why would play the league's number 3 ranked OT at guard??? Especially considering he is supposedly in the best shape of his life, he didn't destroy his knee last season. I don't think yould find anyone with real knowledge that would argue that Brandon Albert wouldn't flourish in a move to guard. And why use Whitworth at guard when Mathis is a free agent just sitting there. Dolphins have a real shot this year with a great OL. Without a great OL we risk going 8-8 again even with an easy schedule.

The Patriots are reeling, the Dolphins should go for the kill. The AFC east is up for grabs, more so this year than in the past. It would be a dirty rotten shame to let a bad OL bring down the team.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...asserly-solidifying-ol-critical-for-dolphins/

You would think after all the money the Dolphins wasted on grossly over-hyped players like Wallace,Ellerbe,Wheeler, etc. They wouldn't be so reluctant to pay a veteran like Mathis or Whitworth when they are actually truly elite players who dominate at their respective positions, just like Suh.

If I had a couple days I would do more research on the 2016 cap situation but from my perusals over the last few months I am convinced the 2016 salary cap for the Dolphins is nowhere near the problem some are making it out to be. In fact, I did a breakdown about a month ago and the Dolphins have the potential to make these mentioned moves and actually be players in free agency in 2016 if they saw an opportunity they liked.

4. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Because Albert has, in the past, not liked the idea of moving. If that still proves to be the case then move the other guy who is willing and who was still a solid Guard. You could just relegate Albert to the bench, but yeah, seriously, that's not really an idea, is it? If Whit is happy to play guard then Mathis isn't needed. Either way, in any of these scenarios, the RG position is still an issue.

5. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    The conversations about Brandon Albert being a better guard than tackle in the NFL have been ongoing for years. This guy did a nice breakdown a couple years ago. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1559290-is-branden-albert-really-a-nfl-left-tackle

I wholeheartedly agree. I think Albert needs to move to guard sooner rather than later. It's just too bad that Ju'wuan James absolutely stunk it up at LT.

I think Albert is going to be hurried back because of the Dolphins desperation at the position and I think a lot of people are going to be extremely disappointed. My expectations for Brandon's return at LT are very low, but a move to guard.........by the middle of the season I would expect him to be one of the better guards in the league, top 10.

6. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Being a Dolphins' fan... you know every season we're going to be questioning the offensive line and the secondary, every. single. season. sigh when the hell are we going to fix those issues already..

7. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The Dolphins have invested a lot in the offense already - they should not limit their future flexibility by adding more salary. The team has as much talent as anyone in the league at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Alex13, USArmyFinFan and Piston Honda like this.
  8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yeah I don't understand this.

Our problem with oline last year was depth, so because of that, we want to bring in 2 HUUUUUUUUGE FA contracts and move our huge FA contract from last year to another position?

Does that feel like getting a flat tire on your car, so you buy a brand new car and have the old one turned into a bicycle, to anyone else?

USArmyFinFan and Piston Honda like this.
  9. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    I don't think Albert's going to be rushed back. I think they'll put him in when he's ready to be in. What happens from there we'll have to see. Albert isn't moving to guard, not a chance. So what we need are two starting guards, and then depth at every OL position.

It would just be nice to see some/any of that address sooner rather than later. Whitworth could add starting talent and a fantastic LT replacement if need be, but who knows if it can be done. Hickeybaum should at least pick up the phone.

10. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I really enjoy reading how much Collins is dominating at G for Dallas, considering we were so close to signing him. That would've eased many worries for years to come.

11. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    That one is definitely sigh inducing. 20/20 hindsight. Jumping in early in either the draft or afterwards but before his name was officially cleared would have been a gamble that paid off, but then, you never know these things beforehand.

Losing Incognito also hurt. Had the team kept better tabs on him the OL would be looking different right now.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    when Jurrah wined and dined his mama, that dude wasnt going anywhere else.

13. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Whitworth is VERY tight with Anthony Munoz. VERY. Anthony, while not officially serving the Bengals in any sort of capacity is sort of the equivalent to what Dan Marino is to Miami in his current role, and I'd be willing to bet he has MORE influence than Marino does. Whitworth's been very, very PC about things in light of this contract situation and the Bengals drafting Ogbuehi and Fisher. This has Munoz's fingerprints on it to some degree, and I can't imagine the Bengals moving on from Whitworth any sooner than they have to and I can see Anthony having soothed some ruffled feathers in this situation. Whitworth will also be 34 next year.

MrClean likes this.
  14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    My dream o-line would be Turner, Thomas, James and Douglas developing into quality players. Pouncey regaining his probowl form and for Albert to regain his health and come back in full force. Also Fox being a good back up for right and left tackle.

USArmyFinFan likes this.
  15. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    Take a good close look at the Cowboys OL starters and depth and then take a good close look at our OL starters and depth and try to honestly say again we have as much talent as anyone. Ridiculous. Are you in denial about last year's #32 ranking?

Have you really examined the Dolphins cap situation in 2017?? http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/miami-dolphins/
    Grimes and Koa Misi will probably be gone in 2017 as well meaning if the cap goes up to 165 mil then the Dolphins will be 70 mil under the cap as things sit right now.

70 mil and a roster loaded with young talent, I think we can easily afford to sign a couple of extremely high quality veterans.

Some of you guys are like prison inmates who get comfortable with their surroundings and don't mind going back to prison. You have become so accustomed to mediocrity you see it as good enough.

Ross and Tannenbaum have put together a pretty good product and they are going to make good money this year; that's what they really care about. I don't think they really care about winning big. They just say the right things to the camera and microphones. True fans want to win it all and they want their owner and FO to spend whatever it takes to the best we can possibly be.

If the Dolphins have a horse**** OL again this year it will by choice, not circumstance. They have opportunities to get significantly better right in front of them. There are no excuses.

16. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    There is no real reason to speculate on whether or not Cinci is moving on. They used two high draft picks to draft his replacement. They have already moved on. They already decided to not extend him, and they acquired the young talent. It's already a done deal. If he plays out his final year in Cinci they will get nothing for him, unless they do little in free agency and get a late comp pick. They might just want to get something for him this year, especially if he is motivated to raise a ruckus.

Good grief, just do a search for Andrew Whitworth unhappy. You will find a hundred articles talking about how pissed off Whitworth was. Yes he is a quality guy and a bona fide leader, something we lack on our line BTW. Pouncey is our defacto leader on the OL and that is really pathetic.

I find your fairy tale about Anthony Munoz somewhat amusing but at the same time spooky and weird. I think your imagination is running wild.

17. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Albert was really good at LT last year and is getting paid really good LT money. If healthy, he needs to play LT.

Tin Indian likes this.
  18. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I worked for Anthony for 3 years and I know for a fact that he and Whitworth are very close. Believe what you want from my post.

MrClean likes this.
  19. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008

Take a look at the Cowboys pass rush or secondary? Overall, Miami has more talent IMO.

Lets focus on 2016. The Dolphins are currently at $161M committed for 2016. Thats before addressing guys they may need to re-sign or replace.

Do you realize that there are only 3 teams in the league spending more cash than Miami this year? There is only one team with more committed cash than Miami in 2016?

You could literally apply this flawed logic to any team. Any team with a hole has that hole by choice. It is literally a fundamental reality of having finite resources.

Fin D likes this.
  20. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    An old grad school roommate of mine met him at an FCA event. When they shook he said his hand disappeared in Anthony's.

21. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    He's got some catcher's mitts for hands. Did your roommate notice his pinky?

[​IMG]

MrClean likes this.