1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do Dolphin fans do on draft day?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jpep13, Apr 19, 2012.

1. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I will just keep it mellow and grab some Beers and wings from Wingstop. No party, Just watch it
    myself unless my 7 1/2 year old son wants to watch it with me.

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    My advice to you is to start drinking heavily,Then come on the board and have some fun with your bros.

CashInFist, SICK and MAFishFan like this.
  3. jpep13

Dec 2, 2007
    I will be here on the board that day for sure. Hopefully the server doesn't crash after our pick.

4. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    First:

[​IMG]

Then:

[​IMG]

Followed by:

[​IMG]

Ducken, CashInFist, finyank13 and 8 others like this.
  5. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    ^ :lol: funniesss

Gotta have on that superstitious draft day t-shirt ... almost more excited about the reaction on this board rather than the pick itself.

6. jpep13

Dec 2, 2007
    Last year I did the same thing beers, and wings on a cruise in the Bahamas. Sportsbar was packed.

7. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    in the garage with the doors closed, windows up, car running, awaiting the riley reiff selection

CashInFist, finyank13, dsteve and 5 others like this.
  8. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    I'll be at work for the first round FML

9. ScottishFin

ScottishFin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Pray that ESPN UK show the draft again this year, not looking likely at the moment due to contractual bollocks.

Failing that NFL.com and much tea and other caffiene related drinks to keep me awake till near 5am for the first round :D

10. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    Probably gonna be busy on that day. Wings and beer doesn't sound like a bad idea.

11. Irish Phin Fan

Irish Phin Fan New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I will be watching with a bunch of my friends and family who are all Browns fans. Talk about a depressing evening. I'm at least hoping to be able to laugh harder at their pick than they laugh at ours.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  12. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I have to be at work at midnight, so alas I can't drink my sorrows away too heavily, but I'll try my best not to cry so much that my eyes are bloodshot when I go on duty.

13. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    I am relatively new to the thread so this shall be my first draft on this board. Looking forward to it.

14. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I'll watch the first 10 picks or so, but after that I don't really have much interest. If the weather is good, I'll be golfing Saturday. I can catch up with everything via Internet, so for me it's a waste of a good weekend to sit in front of a tv.

15. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I hate that its on a thursday, alas, I will get hooters wings to go, beer, and watch it with wifey and son. Ill surely be on here throughout the process!

Wish I was in New Jersey at miami mikes with the crew again

16. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I'll be on here refreshing waiting for the server to go down when they pick someone not a qb.....

SICK likes this.
  17. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    Brady Quinn FTW..

unluckyluciano and SICK like this.
  18. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    As soon as I finish my Bible Study (on Revelation, no less!) Thursday at about 8:30 - Ill be scooting home and heading for the telly!!! After two cups of Mrs. Wilma's coffee, or worse, my retired CG Warrant officer's coffee (guaranteed to taste good, remove varnish, and clear one's kidney's at the same time!), I won't have to worry about seeing the whole round from the time I get back.. which should be before pick 8.

19. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I'll play 18 holes of golf in the morning, as I do most days. Since next Thursday also happens to be our 39th anniversary, I am sure my wife and I will go out for an early dinner and I will try to get home in time to see who the Dolphins draft in the first round. I will TIVO the draft, just in case we don't get home in time to see the Dolphins first round selection.

Once the Dolphins select their pick, I really have no interest in watching the rest of the first round because I could care less about the players the other teams select.

20. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Seriously, I would lay on the couch all weekend, watching the draft....it was glorious.

21. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Witnessing people going nuts on ThePhins no matter who the phins select.

22. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Seriously I told wifey how awesome it is because we are bringing on new guys to root for, into the family....its such a cool feeling. I love the draft!!

23. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I'll be glued to the TV watching all of the first round and most of the others to keep track of who we draft and what players fall to our next pick. I hope it is an exciting draft for us with few disappointments. I will probably lose interest by the later rounds or my wife will find something for me to do, whichever comes first.
    I am one of the ones hoping for Tannehill in the first, but would not be upset or disappointed with one of the top rated impact players who are still available. I also woudn't mind a trade back as long as it gives us enough to make it worth our while.
    Go Dolphins

24. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I used to do that, I even have a few drafts on tape. Come Sunday night I would be sitting in my chair going "what the he'll happened to my weekend"? With internet now, and my iPhone, I don't need to waste weekend away. I'll watch Thusday for a little bit, but after that, I don't have much interest in watching a draft.

25. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Will be moderating

Boik has me going to our main HQ in Omaha

Hoping I can catch a few hours of rest, but doubtful

BlameItOnTheHenne and SICK like this.
  26. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    If drafting Tannehill is considered successful, what does that mean for the Colts and Redskins draft? Because Luck and RG3 are both going to be franchise QB's IMO, and Tannehill is going to be the Dolphins next Chad Henne. I know you like Tannehill and think he is the answer for the Dolphins at the QB position, but I just don't see it.

27. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Colts draft will be more successful. Redskins will be less successful, because of how much they are paying for RG3.

I don't know that Tannehill is the "answer" at QB. I know he's a good prospect, that has the right skill-set for the offense we are going to run. I certainly think he has more ability than Chad Henne.

But by no means do I think drafting Tannehill is a solution to anything. He's a piece of the puzzle.

28. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Thanks, and while I won't be upset in the least if the Dolphins pass on Tannehill. I promise to root for his success if the Dolphins do happen to draft him in the first round.

29. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011

I love how people can predict the future and know so much more than all the scouts and GMs. What about his skill set tells you he's going to be a bust?

anyway...I'll be getting drunk and watching it with our group of friends which includes die hard redskins, cowboys, raiders, giants, jets, pats and eagles fans.

steveincolorado likes this.
  30. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Has anyone been to the draft day parties at sunlife stadium? I have a few days off that weekend so I was thinking of shooting down there and see what its like.

31. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    SickFinFan33

everyone called me "SICK" anyways.....so I changed it way back.

32. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Strangely enough I would get sick a lot on draft day and that was before the drinking.When my employers noticed I would take a vacation day.Now itts easy to catch up with the goings on on draft day .I am never without a smart phone or tablet nearby .I love technology

33. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011

it's hard to say about tannehill. if they take him it's because he shows the physical skill set. strong arm, throws on the run real well, ran a pro style offense etc. the fact he only played 19 games in college should be a plus because he's show some good progression, unlike henne who had a million starts and never really wowed people. I'm in the camp that thought henne got a crappy deal here with the coaching and talent around him for the record.

I think RG3 has a problem because in college he ran a lot of option, fake option stuff on 1st and 2nd down that opened up the passing game. that's not gonna be there in the NFL. I always felt like athletic qbs like RG3 and vick would do well in the run first, miami dolphin/raven/jets style smash mouth offense. They always seem to get thrown into a west coast offense that is basically pass first like vick in atlanta and philly or cam newton having to throw the ball like crazy last year.

so basically i agree with your point. tannehill would be better than rg3 IMO if you didnt have to spend a top ten pick on tanny. Luck looks like a sure fire lock in the mold of john elway. I would have liked to have seen a all out fire sale to get him and rebuild. Not so much for barkley next year which is what I think will happen if we dont get weeden or tannehill this year.

34. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I happen to love RG3 and I was hoping the Dolphins would trade up to the second pick in order to select him. I view Tannehill as another Henne only in that I feel Tannehill will end up being a very mediocre starter in the NFL, as Henne was for the Dolphins. I certainly wish I was higher on Tannehill because it certainly appears that he is going to be the Dolphins pick in the first round.

After watching him play three full games last season and observing that he threw three interceptions in each game he played against the better defenses he faced last season, I just don't get all the hype he is receiving. I have seen many young QB's over the last 10-15 years who had better college careers and skill sets as good or better than Tannehill who have been complete bust at the NFL level.

I think he would be worth the risk in the late second or third round, but I personally feel that he is not worth a first round selection. Obviously it is not my decision and if the Dolphins do take him in the first round, I hope I am wrong in my assessment of his abilities at the next level.

35. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

First of all, I am merely expressing my opinion based on what I saw from Tannehill in college. I never said I knew more than scouts and GM's. If you look at the track record of the scouts and GM when it comes to drafting QB's, you might notice that they are wrong much of the time, just as I freely admit, I am too.

Of course I could be 100% incorrect in my assessment of Tannehill as a future NFL QB. This is a forum where individuals express their opinions. Obviously you don't agree with my opinion of Tannehill and I respect that. I don't think Tannehill will be a quality starting QB in the NFL, and you obviously think he will. I don't exactly know why your opinion or even the opinions of the so called experts are any more valid at this point than mine.

Until Tannehill actually becomes a starting QB in the NFL and we all see how effective he is or isn't, it is all mere speculation as to how well he will develop over the coming years. If the Dolphins do draft him, I obviously want him to be a huge success but at this point and after watching him play at Texas A&M, I would not be the least bit upset if the Dolphins don't draft him in the first round.

36. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I agree with you there Travis. Watching a couple games doesn't make a player. I kind of like Ryan T right behind Luck. I think RT is going to have a better pro career than RG3.

37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I like RG3 as well. I think he's a great leader and an exceptional passer. I just think his bust factor is higher than RT b/c he didn't have to read and go through progressions very much and I don't think he has very good pocket awareness. That's one thing (pocket awareness) that Tannehill may do better than anybody in the draft. It's why I think you can get away with playing him early. I don't think you should though. IMO if you let Tannehill mostly sit for a year (just get him on some plays to get the speed of the game) you can end up with the next Rodgers.

38. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    First, I make a big pot of my homemade chili that I make every year... and then I sit on the couch for 3 straight days and get hammered.

SICK likes this.
  39. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

First of all, the knock on Marino coming out of college had more to do with the suspicion that he had experimented with drugs in his senior year and that is the reason it was said at the time he was passed over by so many teams in the first round. The Dolphins and Shula obviously were willing to take the risk on Marino and based on his play over the years, he was well worth the risk and he never appeared to have any drug problem.

As far as Matt Ryan is concerned, I agree the knock on him coming out was that he threw too many interceptions. I guess I would be okay with Tannehill if he was another Matt Ryan in the NFL, but that is not to say that I think Ryan is a top tier QB. I think at this stage of his career, Ryan is a good but not great NFL QB. He seems to play well at home, but is up and down on the road and he has not played well in the playoffs. Of course he is still a relatively young QB in the NFL and he still has many years left to become a top tier QB in the NFL.

I would certainly be very happy with Ryan as the Dolphins QB, but at this point, there is absolutely no way of knowing if Tannehill will even come close to being another Matt Ryan in the NFL. I acknowledge that I may be wrong about Tannehill and he may just turn out to be a very productive QB in the NFL. My opinion right now though is that based on his career at Texas A&M, I just don't think he is a sure thing as a first round draft selection. I would rather see the Dolphins draft a player at eight who can come in and start immediately and they can always draft one of the other second tier QB's, (which I think Tannehill is), in the second or third round.

My view is that Cousins, Weeden, and Osweiler could be drafted in the second or third round and they will all be as effective in the NFL as I think Tannehill might be. I am just not that high on any of the QB's in this draft except Luck and RG3. I realize that the Dolphins top need is a QB and therefore this makes Tannehill the favorite to be Miami's top selection. I am just not as sold on this pick as you and so many others on this forum appear to be. Sorry.

40. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    There were drug rumors about Marino but by far the biggest knock on him was his stats that senior year. He had young and poor WRs so his stats suffered and too many people are over-reliant on stats for their evaluations. Marino clearly had elite skills. That's what people should have looked at. That's somewhat analogous to Tannehill who had inconsistent and poor WRs but clearly has elite skills.

I like that chili idea. My son is now at the age where he's excited about the draft and we have a favorite chili recipe (Cincinnati style) we often make.