1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I need (computer related)?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Phinperor, May 14, 2009.

1. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    My screen will freeze every so often then go blank for a couple of seconds then go back to normal, and keep doing this every so often. Just bought a new monitor, so it's obviously not that. I just updated my graphics driver, so I don't think it's that. Do you think I need a new graphics card?

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

how old is your comp?

usually you only need a gfx card if you're doing high intense gaming.

do you get any error messages or does it just go whacky?

could be the monitor actually (arrived faulty)

Phinperor likes this.
  3. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Well I originally got this windows error message : "This problem was caused by NVIDIA Graphics Driver", So I went to that companies site and DL'd the latest gfx driver. Everything seemed to be working fine for about a week, and now it's happening again with no error message and to a lesser extent than before.

4. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I had a similar problem recently, but mine faded in color but didn't go totally blank, when I put a second monitor on my system so I went out and picked up another card and it seems to have resolved the problem. Don't know if our issue is one and the same, but a new card did the trick for me.

Phinperor likes this.
  5. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    How much do they generally cost?

6. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Phinperor likes this.
  7. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    make sure your monitor and video driver have the same refresh rate and also the monitor should have had its own driver so make sure that it installed and you remove the old driver completetly....you should actually remove the old driver first...hope that helps.

Phinperor likes this.
  8. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I picked one up at Frys for about 50 bucks. I'm also 99% certain that if you install it and find it's not the solution you can return it without penalty because it's hardware not software and typically does not have the same 10-15% restocking charge that things like computers, monitors may have.

http://shop2.frys.com/product/5476069?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

It is a pci-e card though.

Phinperor likes this.
  9. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    It sounds like it could be a heat issue. I would make sure all the fans are working before I would replace the card. It could be there is not enough air flowing through the case which is causing the computer to hiccup.

anlgp likes this.