1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What I see happening in 2023-2024 season

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dorfdad, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    This is just my quick take on what I think happens in 2023-2024 season. What changes do you think happen?

1. Ross keeps Grier and McDaniel (injuries happened not bad picks is the excuse)

2. Defense gets some help (I want a new DC but I think they try and retool and possibly get some new defensive position coaches?) some big name exit the building at corner

3. Offensively we sign either rodgers or Brady as a stop gap. We have a window with the best wideouts in the leauge we just need a QB to get them the ball. Brady never had as good of an offense as we have. Rodgers would be salivating as well.

4. Tua becomes our backup for a season since he’s still under contract and they will want to “treat him right” and see if a full year will recover him enough but I think his starting days are over. Would be an excellent backup for us unless he retires. This buys us time to get someone young into the system for the future.

5. we sign a stud running back and drop the committee system looking for a hot hand.

6. we again sign some veteran offensive lineman to run and block protect. Since we can’t find or get a young or mobile quarterback for 2023 season.

7. With all the changes we will have a better team next 2 years but we will end up with a similar record next year as we play a much harder schedule. I’m predicting another 10-7 kinda season maybe a wildcard again.

I just don’t think Ross is going to blow this up and I feel he is going to think if tua was not injured we’re 12 win team and he might be right. However I believe getting to the playoffs has sparred Grier even with his horrible record of injury players and bad picks.

What do you think will happen this off-season?

resnor likes this.
  2. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I agree that Ross will keep Grier for the reasons you cite. There were a number of injuries that can be used as an excuse for the defense's poor performance rather than the actual talent level of the players Grier drafted/recruited via free agency.

Josh Boyer will be fired, but then the question becomes who will replace him? I know the favorite to replace Boyer will be Vic Fangio but it's well known that Fangio will be tied to the hip with Sean Payton, and unless Ross plans on firing McDaniel, which I do not see happening. Miami has fired only 1 head coach after one season, Cam Cameron for his dismal 1-15 season.

Tua will NOT be Miami's back-up. I just can't see that happening. You don't draft a quarterback 5th in the first round of the draft who leads all quarterbacks in quarterback rating only to have him ride the bench as a back-up. Tua (or should I say his agent) wouldn't stand for it and demand an immediate trade. When it comes to Tua either one of two things will happen. He will remain the starting quarterback for the Dolphins, with an off-season effort to bolster the offensive line to give him more protection or he will be traded to a team that's in need of a quarterback. If Miami were to shop Tua, I can see Tennessee, Houston, Carolina, Indianapolis, Atlanta, LA Rams, Las Vegas, New Orleans and Tampa Bay as teams that are in need of a quarterback. The only question in that scenario would be what would the Dolphins and what would the trading team be willing to give.

Personally, I want Tua back. With as poorly as our offensive line has played this season, I would for once like to see the Dolphins field a stud offensive line that could not only keep Tua upright, but also open some running lanes so we can get a flipping running game going.

Sadly though, with Ross going to keep Grier as I agree with you, an offensive line is merely an afterthought in his development of a team. His ability to build an OL is worse than my ability to bake a cake. Sure, you could eat it, but you wouldn't be asking for another piece..

jdallen1222 and KeyFin like this.
  3. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Rodgers is not getting traded. They are committed to each other with that contract for at least 1 more year.

4. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Anyone who thinks that Tua's going to get anything in a trade right now is crazy. Anyone who thinks that Tua is at all in control of his situation right now doesn't understand the situation.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    djphinfan, brandon27 and Tuanon4Life like this.
  5. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    What do I think is going to happen?

There's two ways this plays out....

-If Tua comes back

It's rather simple...I can see Ross and Grier deciding to run it back and try again with the investments they've made. Chubb, Hill,etc. I don't know how much money we're going to have, but you have to assume that offensive line will yet again be top priority. If not that position, then it's got to be used to upgrade the linebacker core.
    So...Mike McGlinchey at tackle is a name to keep an eye on. Former 49er...I can see McDaniel poaching him away if possible.
    Andre Dillard
    Andrew Wiley
    and believe it or not, I could see a JuWan James reunion in the works.

At Linebacker I like Devin Bush from Pittsburgh, Tremaine Edmunds would be a steal come true, Jarrad Davis from Detroit would be a nice addition as well.

I can also see us attempting to upgrade the Running back position. Jeff Wilson, Mostert, and Ahmed are all UFA's. Meanwhile so are Josh Jacobs, Saquan Barkley, Miles Sanders, and Tony Pollard. Give me any one of them over what we currently have. D'onta Foreman would be a nice consolation prize I guess.

So if Tua stays, I can see us running it back with a few low risk/high reward offseason additions. This team didn't look far off at all from the Super Bowl a month ago. I think Ross/Grier will keep that in mind and try and move forward IF Tua can and will return.

-Option 2, If Tua retires or we move on

Again, the priority first and foremost is to remain competitive right? I mean you just never know in this league. Seattle looked like a dumpster fire before the season started and Pete Carroll got them to the playoffs with Geno Freakin Smith! Who would have thought that? I'll get back to Geno in a minute.
    So...Lets say Tua pulls a Ricky Williams. He's on the beach (Waikiki) smoking a doobie and says "you know what? I'm done, I can get into coaching, I have a name, I'm a college legend, I'm out." Here we are...Tua is done and now we need a Quarterback to replace fast. Names like Derek Carr, Lamar Jackson, Geno Smith, and even Tom Brady all sound very intriguing. Rumors will circulate, but this franchise is toxic and the league knows it as do players. None of those names will be coming here to South Florida...Not even Geno Smith who simply returns to Seattle to remain the starter.
    Replacement names to look at? Well...Skylar will still be here and depending on how he plays in Buffalo tomorrow, he may actually be the starter as horrible as that sounds. Realistically, I say he bombs and we look to add a veteran to try and salvage the season. Maybe hope to catch lightening in a bottle or find the next Kurt Warner. Looking at the list of free agents here goes the order..

1. Baker Mayfield- a chance to start, playoff experience, former number one pick, still very young, has a similar style to Tua. If TT retires, I can see Mayfield signing here for cheap and being the starter under McDaniels. Whether or not it works will be an entirely different conversation.

2. Sam Darnold- Another former high draft pick who is still relatively young. Quarterbacks have a long shelf life and Darnold does have talent. Not saying that it will equate to wins, but at least we can dream of a resurrection from either of these options for a week or two.

3. Drew Lock- Yet another former high pick that is still young. Personally with him at QB, we'd be looking at a 3 win season which might pave the way for Caleb Williams in 2024 (If we have a first round pick).

Honorable mentions= The beloved Mike White, Case Keenum, Mason Rudolph, Brett Rypien...Yeah it could get real ugly.

Assuming it does get ugly, I can see a fire sale of the majority of our recently acquired talent. Hill, X, Armstead, and many others may yet again be on the move to contending teams in return for draft capital. By the end of next season if Tua doesn't play, we may very well find ourselves right back at the beginning of a rebuild which would be more depressing than Mason Rudolph as the starting Quarterback of this team.

So...That's my take on what I think will happen this offseason. We either run it back with Tua, or we replace him with the first player willing to play here and prepare for a slow 18 week long agonizing death. The worst part is I can actually see Mayfield or Darnold keeping us just good enough to miss out on a top Quarterback in the draft. I think if tanking becomes an option, it needs to be fully done correctly this time. Thing is...Will Caleb Williams or Drake Maye even be worth it?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    Tuanon4Life likes this.
  6. Tuanon4Life

Tuanon4Life Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2022
    I think you're probably right. Personally I would go with Tua one more season if we can't lure a solid veteran like Brady or Jimmy G. assuming we roll on with Tua after a long off-season to get his head right he gets one last shot. Our options are limited with no first rounder and the fact that Tua is virtually untradable after the concussions this season. My vote would be to give Tua one last shot next season and cut ties with Bridgewater while continuing to develop Skylar Thompson.

resnor likes this.
  7. Fireland

Dec 29, 2013
    While you aren't possibly facing your QB having to retire with Jimmy G that guy might be even more injury prone so you really are in the same boat. No scenario where that looks like an upgrade.

dolphin25 likes this.
  8. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Not sure anyone with trade for him.
    He is one hit away from being finished in this league and as for the Phins they are built to win now and can't afford to have this guy miss another 3-5 games like he has since we drafted him.That gives u zero shot at the division.

dolphin25 likes this.
  9. Tuanon4Life

Tuanon4Life Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2022
    Ok so who would you want to go get instead? I wouldn't want Jimmy G either but if they do decide to get a veteran stop gap McDaniel has a working relationship with him. I would think that would be their first choice in FA unless Brady wants to come here.

10. Fireland

Dec 29, 2013
    As was always obvious its going to be Tua

KeyFin likes this.
  11. Fireland

Dec 29, 2013
    I think Jimmy G would be fine if Tua had to retire but he wouldn't upgrade the team and he would be more expensive than Tua. You said you would want Tua if they couldn't get Brady or Jimmy G so definitely Tua before Jimmy G for me.

But hypothetically I would say Brady first and then either Jimmy or Carr. After that you are totally boned and you might as well blow it up.

Tuanon4Life likes this.
  12. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
  13. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Personally I'm fine with bringing in any other QB, Garropolo, Brady, whoever to compete with Tua. But you don't get rid of Tua. As disappointing as it is he's not available for the playoffs he can still redeem himself in the future. The big question moving forward is who is DC. I'd say theoretically the bigger decision is Grier, but I see no realistic way Ross gets rid of Grier so main question is DC. Give this team a good DC and we can be solid playoff team. Not sure about a deep playoff run though, but one step at a time I guess.

KeyFin and dolphin25 like this.
  14. StaleTacos

StaleTacos Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2022
    Good way to bump trade value.

15. ExplosionsInDaSky

Sep 13, 2011
    Well IF Tua is coming back next year, we'll clearly need to upgrade the backup QB position. That is unless Skylar Thompson leads us to the Super Bowl.

mlb1399 likes this.
  16. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Yep, we’ll likely be relying on that back up for 3-5 games. If they can manage to win 2 of those games and we win 90% with Tua starting, we have a chance for maybe some home field advantage. This team was not very good on the road and if we’re ever going to win a playoff game again, we need that home field advantage.

dolphin25 likes this.
  17. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    I like Mariota as the backup next year.

ExplosionsInDaSky likes this.
  18. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    I can see the Dolphins continuing to sign vets like Mike McGlinchey to shore up the OT position. Plus a backup QB that can win a game. On defense maybe both an inside and outside linebacker. Otherwise the team will pretty much look the same next year.

I'd probably only keep the defensive backs coaches. The rest and special teams can be moved away from.

This team is not far from being 12-4.

Springveldt and dolphin25 like this.
  19. ExplosionsInDaSky

Sep 13, 2011
    I like that he's a mobile QB that can pick up first downs with his legs, but he was terrible as the starter for Atlanta this year. Then again, a lot of that had to do with the way Arthur Smith ran things. They barely threw to Kyle Pitts who should be getting the same amount of looks that Travis Kelce gets. We are talking about a backup though, and that is squarely where Mariotta fits at this point. He's not that much better than Bridgewater in my opinion, but if that's the best we end up doing, I'll be ok with it.

20. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    The only way they bring in one of the big names on the qb market is if Tua is gone. Carr, Garropolo, and especially Brady, are starters and see themselves that way, and are not coming here to compete with anyone for playing time. Unless Tua has to medically “redshirt “ next season, there’s no way he stays while they bring in a top veteran player. Maybe you could sell that to Darnold, Wentz, Heinekie, or someone on that level, but not to anyone that could make a difference.

21. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Honestly, who would trade for Tua?

22. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Truthfully…no one. I’m not getting off the Tua Train until he decides to quit playing

dolphin25 likes this.
  23. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    yeah, Dolphins have a total mess right now.

24. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    A vending machine.

25. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    Did Boyer save his job today?? I don’t know if I would keep him and would definitely get a new special teams coach.

26. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Packers trading Rodgers would bankrupt their team for years. The dead cap number is insanely high. if green bay adds a legit receiver threat, theyre competing for the top seed again.. wnd likely lose another playoff game in lambeau just like aaron always does.. biggest playoff choker

dolphin25 likes this.
  27. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Man I’m so torn about this game. On one hand I’m glad we crawled back and scrapped and didn’t embarrass ourselves on the national stage. However I’m sad that I believe this game lets toss off the hook and Boyer stays again. He will use the injuries on the road etc as excuses to keep the status quo. When even when we had all our starters we sucked on defense.

I’m worried about keeping tua even. I don’t want him now and I’m a supporter. He’s not going to be a player we can count in for 16 games anymore. He’s not worth the cost he will think he’s worth.

we needs to get rid the f Howard he was a great player but now a clear liability and has lost his step.

We need a major offensive line retooling once again but I have zero faith in our GM who clearly will be staying. Ross didn’t fire him when they didn’t make the playoffs and now he’s gotten him there.

I feel like this is groundhogs day. This team always does just enough to compete but never enough to take the next step and this game just sealed our fate for a repeated season next year…

Hooligan and dolphin25 like this.
  28. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Boyer should have been fired midseason. Been clamoring for that forever. And no today should not save Boyer. Defense did well considering the circumstances, but they still gave up too many points for a deep playoff run team. Anyway, DC is something the HC usually determines so it's up to McDaniel to be smart enough to know he needs a new DC. That to me is the most important thing this offseason assuming it's unrealistic to replace Grier.

dolphin25, tirty8 and JJ_79 like this.
  29. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    1) Fire Grier
    2) Fire Boyer
    3) Fire Crossen
    4) Cut Byron Jones (post June 1)

5) Put all available resources (Draft picks and UFA signings) towards offensive line, DB and Linebackers.

dolphin25, hitman8 and mlb1399 like this.
  30. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Did Howard really lose a step, or was he playing hurt most/all of the year? Kinda hard to hit top speed and make sharp cuts to stay with top WRs with, among others, a groin injury.

dolphin25 likes this.
  31. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I think we run back the same team give or take an O-lineman, RB and LB.

What I'd like to happen:

Grier gone, Boyer gone, Crossman gone

O-Line Re-Sign Shell for sure. Keep Hunt, Armstead, Jackson, and Williams and get another guard.

QBs:
    Tua is going to be here again with Skylar Thompson or another Backup. No more Teddy Bridgewater, he just wants to collect checks.

RB Resign Mostert or Wilson if the price is right but not both.

WR I don't think anything needs to be done here except maybe cut Cedric Wilson.

TE Smythe is the only keeper here. Need to bring in or draft a whole new group.

Defense:

DE Line #1 priority get Wilkins a long term deal before 2024. Ogbah could be cut here. Maybe resign Van Ginkle to a cheap contract for depth.

LBS they can all go and most of them are free agents except Baker. Really need a huge upgrade here.

CB/Safey: Rowe and Needham would be nice to keep around if the price is right. Cut Bryon Jones for sure! Tough to evaluate because we lost Williams and Alexander before they played in a regular season game.

Punter Bring back Morstead and kicker bring in someone to compete with Sanders.

32. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    I think that Boyer is getting fired on Monday. I don't think that this will take long. We should be aggressive in signing a top tier established DC.

I think that we will make some cuts/restructure some contracts, but getting into a good cap situation should be relatively easy task.

I think that it will be a buyer's market for RB. Tony Pollard would be my target.

I think the first part of the QB puzzle is easy. Tua is our guy. The hard part is that we need a plan 1A. Teddy isn't it. There may be something to be said for drafting a guy, but there is a risk. We are low on picks. Veterans are nice but expensive. I really do think we win today with Matt Ryan. In all seriousness, there will be a lot of moving parts in the offseason. If Tennessee upgrades at QB, I would bring RT back in an instant at a backup salary. I would be interested in Minchew too. Then there are the retreads. I think that Darnold, Wentz, Mayfield, and names like that will probably be options. This is the option that I like the least, but is probably the most affordable when considering the cost of salary or draft picks.

I do think Grier has done enough to keep his job. A big part of his job this offseason is really to convince a good QB that it would be in his best interests to take less money and/or be a backup with us as opposed to being a starter with a bad team.

33. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Seriously I'd go for Garoppolo. He could potentially provide a multi-year solution at QB where we have Tua/Garoppolo as 1A and 1B. I think he would do quite well in our offense. Wouldn't break the bank either.

Edit: got to learn to spell that guy's name right.. apparently it's one r and 2 p's!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    dolphin25, Puka-head and hitman8 like this.
  34. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    The only thing consistent about Boyer and his defense this season has been it’s been inconsistent.

The defense had been near the top of the league at home, and near the bottom of the league in away games.

They have been a top 5 defense against the run, but near the bottom of the league in 3rd down defense.

As I said in another thread, a GOOD DC adjusts for injuries and schemes for the strengths of the players he has. Boyer can’t do that.

He needs to go, but with as dysfunctional as the front office is with this team, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if they roll with Boyer next season, HOPING next season won’t be as injury riddled as this season has been.

dolphin25 likes this.
  35. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    Get Brady. A DC. Another year of experience for McD. You might have something. Additionally, Brady would be like another coach, because not a shot he allows the type of bullshi* that happened today.

36. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Here is the thing. I think Jimmy G is getting another big deal this offseason. I think he's getting $100M. When I talk about Grier convincing a vet, this is the type of challenge he is facing. Could you convince Jimmy that he is better off passing $100M in ATL to be the backup for a year here for $8M with the chance that maybe he takes over permanently and it becomes a $150M payday here.

I think Jimmy G's services will be more heavily in demand that you think, and it is an uphill battle.

I think WASH, ATL, NO, NYJ, LV, CAR, IND will have some level of interest.

dolphin25, Springveldt and Puka-head like this.
  37. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    I actually agree with this. He is hyped up enough for his average play and I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. Purdy just shows you he was a game manager in a plug and play team.

I love Mariota as a backup. He's buddies with Tua and they are completely different players. It would give teams a harder time trying to figure out a gameplan if he has to play a game or two next year.

38. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah that's possible. We'll see.

The other option is to do what I think is generally a good strategy and use a mid/low round pick on a QB each year until you find the right one. Especially with Tua not being a reliable starter you'll likely have games where you can see how well the draft pick performs in actual NFL games. Saves cap space too.

39. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    Jimmy G might be less durable than Tua. 2 injury prone QBs don't make 1 full QB. Tua and Bridgewater proved that this season. And Jimmy G also could get a starting gig.

Just go get Brady. There's no substitute to the amazing stopgap he would be.

M1NDCRlME and hitman8 like this.
  40. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Brady is going to Las Vegas. Stop already. Miami cannot afford him, they're only $30 million over the cap right now.