1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What I see happening in 2023-2024 season

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dorfdad, Jan 14, 2023.

1. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I'm not against Brady if they can pull it off. I think he'd do well with Hill and Waddle. Brady is only one year removed from playing at near-elite status so it's certainly realistic this year might have been just one off year.

As far as whether 2 injury prone QBs might combine into one that isn't.. maybe, maybe not, but I think it might work.

Anyway, lots of options (including draft). I just hope they make a good decision.

dolphin25 likes this.
  2. StaleTacos

StaleTacos Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2022
    You stop. You can easily make it work with a big bonus spread over 3 seasons, and that 30m over the cap is nonsense.

3. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    3 seasons :sidelol:

4. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    If he retires after 2. That's fine. You just swallow the cap hit. Still lessens it for 2023 season.

5. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    He's going to Vegas. It was reported this morning that they are going to give him a blank check, McDaniels is there. It's the obvious destination.

6. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    Will believe it when it happens. Until then, get Brady who wants to be with his kids in Miami.

dolphin25 likes this.
  7. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Brady left his girlfriend when she was pregnant. I'm tired of these he's a good guy family man bullshti. He's going to go wherever the most money is and will play until he is 50 if he could.

BigBaller likes this.
  8. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If getting brady means the dolphins are finally going to aggressively address the offensive line issues… then im on board.. Brady is very ordinary if he doesnt have a line that can hold for he can scan the field.

dolphin25 likes this.
  9. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It would really tick me off if it takes landing Brady to finally take care of the offensive line issues.

dolphin25 and Vertical Limit like this.
  10. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Eh, that fox deal he has pays him just as much as he does starting for the Buccaneers.. i think we are very close to the end of his career. Hell even lebron james was saying a deal like that would make him consider retirement.. its something like 10 year 345 million

StaleTacos likes this.
  11. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    All of this yo. So much inconsistency. I do feel we will probably look at more "traditional" guys than "Patriot" guys.

Would not be surprised to see us move on from Howard and Jones. Way to expensive for little to no results, and no I don't see either having bounce back years worth the salary. See if a needy up and coming team like Detroit wants to take one of them for like a 2nd.

But man, he is so bad. I'd be more confident in Thompson by far.

Jimmy I think would be the ideal, but I do agree he will be more in demand as a starter than for us to pursue as a backup, plus he wants to start, not sit around waiting on Tua to get hurt.

We clearly need a good backup. But that's the conundrum - the league is so needy at the position that even mediocre talent often gets starting jobs. I think we just rock it with Thompson and a minimumish veteran. Maybe Mariota if he wants to be here more than he wants to get paid. Otherwise just a Mike Glennon type.

12. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    I would guess Ross could throw in some ownership stuff as well. You know Ross will be all over him. He didn't tamper and lose a pick for nothing.

dolphin25 likes this.
  13. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    I really don't have a problem with Skylar being that guy right now. He threw some nice balls. The problem is that he has slow processing time/decision making. Do I think that by the start of next season, he will be further along? Yes. Will it be enough to be a true back up? I have reservations about that too. At this point, I do think we need to upgrade. If he can show he has enough value to remain on the roster as a third stringer, I would gladly keep him around.

dolphin25 likes this.
  14. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Unless Tua retires, he will be the starter next season. No way we walk away from him.

As far as offseason moves, figure out the secondary. Figure out the offensive line. If we can get a true middle linebacker, grab that guy too. Another high priority is backup QB- Skylar may be a decent one someday, but we need a true professional like a Matt Moore in the wing. Bridgewater didn't show me anything this season, can't ever go thru that again.

Thank goodness we kept Slylar; it's a shame we didn't grab Purdy instead. Who would have dreamed that one 7th rounder would be playing lights out in the playoffs, the other would be thrown into chaos and run for his life? Crazy that two 7th round rookie QBs started in the playoffs at all.

Other than that, we need a new DC. Keep everyone else unless Ross just wants to jettison Grier. Don't really care there either way. Tough move because if Tua, X, and Jones were healthy this season, I think we're a legit contender to win it all.

For quarterbacks, I'd be looking at Mayfield pretty hard. Good fit, can challenge to start, can play solid off the bench and he's still hungry to win. Jimmy G would be my second choice due to his ties with McDaniel and the ability to just win ballgames. Hard "no" to Brady, definite "yes" to Rodgers or Carr. I'd also say no to Jackson, but Ross would jump all over that and I guess I'd be okay with it.

One final thought- thank goodness we didn't get Watson! At least Ross got something right last year.

15. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    They can't sign a big name quarterback. It's not fiscally possible. Lol

KeyFin likes this.
  16. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    That's a good summary of what we need. The issue is we shouldnt have these many holes on our roster at this point in the rebuild, and we no longer have resources with which to fill all the holes thanks to Grier.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    dolphin25 and KeyFin like this.
  17. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    Keep saying it. It might be true if you keep saying it.

Reality is they can restructure/cut a number of guys and have plenty. I've seen ways already to get 50m under. On Hill and Chubb alone you can save 25m+.

18. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Both Watson and Wilson. Right now it looks real bad for both Cleveland and Denver, though I'd like to see how they perform in season 2 with their new teams before panning these moves with greater certainty. Statistically both first season performances with their new teams look like anomalies, but who knows.. maybe it's real.

dolphin25 and KeyFin like this.
  19. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    There's so many holes they need to fill before they go after a luxury quarterback.

20. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    Don't get a luxury QB. Get a QB1. If they are going to roll with Tua next season. Might as well just roll with Thompson.

21. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Troll post. :headwall:

22. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    Who's trolling? You need a QB1 that can play a full season. You can't waste resources again trying to make a full QB. This year proved that. One Bridgewater + one Tua doesn't equal one full season QB1. Quality QBs who can be had for money, don't take backup jobs.

If they are going to roll with Tua and hope he can stay healthy a full season for the first time since high school. They aren't being serious about this team. The season would be a punt. Just roll with Skylar as backup. Maybe draft another toolsy Skylar.

dolphin25 likes this.
  23. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Thompson got injured in the one other start he had this year. He's not some ironman and he's 500x less talented than Tua.

You're trolling if you think Miami is better off trotting Thompson out there next year as a starter. He earned a shot to be the backup.

24. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    Thompson hasn't even proven himself as a backup QB.

25. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    Huh? You aren't even reading. I said, "Just roll with Skylar as backup." I'm not saying the Dolphins are better with Thompson as a starter. I'm saying if they roll with Tua next year they aren't serious about contention. Therefore, a backup like Skylar is totally fine. Draft a toolsy QB in later rounds. Commit to the season punt. No point in spending money and trying to prop up the roster with another Teddy Bridgewater when Tua takes his annual sabbatical.

dolphin25 likes this.
  26. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Don't tell him Thompson was injured every year in college except for one either.

27. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    "Toolsy" lol, you're a character.

28. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    It's not Madden franchise mode.

29. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    Agreed, but I'm talking about Thompson as a backup. No point in spending money on a backup if you go into the season with Tua as your starter. You aren't finding a starting caliber QB to backup Tua. So you'll get some Bridgewater/Brissett garbage. Just roll with Skylar if Tua is the direction you are heading.

30. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    Wish it were. Maybe Tua would have a shot at staying healthy and productive a whole season if you ran the simulation enough times.

31. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Go buy an Xbox then. Miami isn't tanking next year and you'd be a fool to even suggest it.

32. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    Agreed. They'll be going after Brady.

33. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    Once again, Thompson hasn't even proven himself as backup. I'd sooner call up Cam Newton at this point.

34. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    That's cool. Doesn't matter. Just don't spend much.

35. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Gronk too. And, Josh Jacobs and Jalen Ramsey. why not?

36. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I've only placed one other poster on "Ignore" in the 15+ years I've been on this site. You're about to become number 2.

Sarcastic Jeff Dunham Bubba J tone of voice..."If you're going to roll with Tua, might as well roll with Thompson". That is without a doubt one of the absolute stupiest, idiotic, most ret@rded things I've read.

We get it, you don't like Tua. Fine, but if you are so flipping serious that we would be just as well off with Thompson as quarterback than we would Tua, your "knowledge" of football is about as credible as the National Enquirer.

It's repeated and condoned idiotic posts like this that caused me to leave Finheaven.

Puka-head likes this.
  37. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Just curious, but what if Tua gets one or two concussions next year where does he and the Dolphins stand?

38. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    It's like you didn't read anything that was posted BEFORE or AFTER that post. The discussion was about backup QBs. Your reading ability is bad and you should feel bad. I wasn't saying Thompson should be QB1. I'm fine with Thompson as backup if they are going in with Tua as starter.

dolphin25 likes this.
  39. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    He's not saying Thompson is better than Tua. He wants to start Thompson over Tua to tank the season, which is idiotic in itself.

He thinks they are tanking anyway if they start Tua next year.

Your thoughts are still valid.

40. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    No. I didn't say this. Lies and trolls. Lies and trolls.

dolphin25 likes this.