1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The G Man, Sep 19, 2011.

1. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    we go into the bye week 0-4? It could happen. The next two games are on the road, Cleveland is decent, and Diego is, despite the schooling they got from NE yesterday, a very good football team. The way I see it, no way we beat Diego. Not this team, and not on the road. And, Cleveland will give us a real run for the money.

So, the question is...what if we're 0-4 going into the bye? Does Ross fire Sparano then? Or, has he reconciled himself to giving Sparano & Company the entire season to sink or swim?

Not only that, but at what point do you start to worry about when they will win their first game?

10/17 - Miami at NY Jets
    10/23 - Denver at Miami
    10/30 - Miami at NY Giants
    11/06 - Miami at Kansas City
    11/13 - Washington at Miami
    11/20 - Buffalo at Miami
    11/24 - Miami at Dallas
    12/04 - Oakland at Miami
    12/11 - Philadelphia at Miami
    12/18 - Miami at Buffalo
    12/24 - Miami at New England
    01/01 - NY Jets at Miami

Suddenly, the schedule looks a little more intimidating, doesn't it?

2. Ricky'sBong

Ricky'sBong Reborn

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    honestly i agree, and at the same time dont really even care at this point

3. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    If we go into the bye week 0-4, just be happy our bye week is early.

Anonymous, SICK, Califin and 2 others like this.
  4. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    Away games. The hope for the season.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  5. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I dont understand what firing Sparano mid-season is supposed to be productive. What do you accomplish by firing the coach mid-season? You cant hire another one until after the season anyway... so whats the point?

siciliansith likes this.
  6. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I can honestly see it happening. The Browns are slowly but surely putting things together, and going cross-country to the west coast is always a challenge. It's certainly a possibility that we find ourselves 0-4.

That said, a coaching change will be predicated not just on 0-4, but how we got there. If the defense continues to give up gobs of yards and the team gets blown out in Cleveland or San Diego, then I think Sparano is in real danger of losing the team. If that's the case then I would prefer that we move on and take a look at someone in the interim.

More frighteningly, 0-6 is a very real possibility should we go to 0-4. We'll have a bye to prepare for the Jets, but then it's back home off a short week to take on the Denver Broncos ... and by that time it's hard to tell how many fans will even be going to the game.

All that being said, I do like us against Cleveland next week, though I'm not nearly as confident looking at San Diego.

The G Man likes this.
  7. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Now, more than ever, it's a revenue driven league. If we continue to fill the stadium to 50% capacity, Ross may have to make a move just to stop the financial bleeding.

We've also seen the interim coach model used more and more. The Raiders, Vikings, and Cowboys all made mid-season moves last year and ended up keeping their coaches for this season.

Tin Indian and The G Man like this.
  8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    electrolyte, schmolioot and Matt5202 like this.
  9. GreysonWinfield

Nov 1, 2009
  10. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Are we taking it for granted that the Dolphins will be as good on the road this year? If their not its going to be a long season. I believe we have the weapons, they just need to get in sync and the OL needs to start playing like they were expected to.

Aquafin likes this.
  11. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Not trying to be special. Just interesting to note how nasty I was treated for asking the same exact thing awhile back. Some of this has to do with posters on here just treat some posters better than they treat others. Still more has to do with I'm guessing people are a little more willing to discuss it now that it's 2 games closer to becoming a reality.

Aquafin and Matt5202 like this.
  12. GreysonWinfield

Nov 1, 2009
    There ya go. I can assure you that most people don't want to hear or feel someone is "vindicated" or is satisfied they were right at the cost of winning. The reality is until this team consitently wins there will be heavy bickering. AFter that there will be light bickering.

siciliansith and Matt5202 like this.
  13. Matt5202

Matt5202 New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    If we lose to Cleveland...

The only win I feel comfortable in predicting in KC. But they are going to be feeling the urgency as well. Could it be that we are in 2007 all over again? Its hard to phathom...

Tough times in Miami.

14. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    WELL THESE TWO GAMES SHOULD BE EASY WINS . BUT IF WE LOSE THESE games, THEN SPARANO NEEDS TO GO 10/30 - Miami at NY Giants11/06 - Miami at Kansas City

15. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    So... people are now going to come to the games now that Sparano is fired? Thats the one thing holding them back? I cant see how going through the dysfunction of a regime change midseason makes the team more compelling to go pay money to watch. If anything, it would seem less attractive at that point...

I get that we've seen it done. But I dont understand it. I mean, by the time a coach is usually fired... they are out of the playoff hunt anyway. So why make a change in hope that you get an extra win or 2, still make a regime change afterwards, and now give your new regime lower draft picks to work with?

Unless you legitimately were grooming one to eventually take over (maybe like Jason Garrett's situation), I dont understand the motivation or what you're trying to accomplish by making a coaching change midseason.

16. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    If you read the thread I posted, I wasn't trying to say I thought it would happen. I was only asking the same question the OP asks in this thread. What happens if it does?

17. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio
    My feeling is if/when the Dolphins go 0-4 Sparano will lose the team. That being said, I hope they let him finish the season and the Dolphins end up with the # 1 overall pick. I'd rather go 0-16 then 7-9.

18. GreysonWinfield

Nov 1, 2009
    Understood. But going into a season fans always feel their team has as good a chance as anyone else and its hard for them to swallow what they feel is negativity even at the cost of reality. And as has been seen many times anything can happen in a season.....unless you're the Phins and you've managed to be consistent at mediocrity and sometimes worse.

The G Man likes this.
  19. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    It makes sense to fire a coach mid-season when the players no longer believe he knows what he's doing. It's called "losing the locker room." You make the best assistant your interim head coach, and he gets a new chance with the players. This is why you often see slight improvements when interim head coaches take over. It also helps attendance, because the angry, frustrated fans have a scapegoat, see light at the end of the tunnel and have curiosity about what the interim coach will do. It also starts the coaching search early. If the season is irretrievably tanked, it's the way to go.

20. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I don't think that people would suddenly fill the stadium of an 0-4 or 0-5 team simply because the owner canned the HC and replaced him with an interim coach who is by no means guaranteed to hold the job longer than December.

If Ross fires Sparano in this 0-4/0-5 scenario (something I would consider likely), then it's simply because there's the real danger of a Cam Cameron/Detroit Lions fiasco. An 0-4/0-5 Sparano is all but guaranteed to lose the locker room as players are fully aware that he's a dead man talking. Heck, judging by recent comments, they don't seem particularly motivated in practice as it is ...

21. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I think we have a decent shot at beating Cleveland but I also would not make the case that the road is going to be some kind of panacea for us either.

I don't think we have some special skill for winning road games. It just so happened that our conservative style helped us win a few games on the road and it didn't work at home. Had one or two bounces in each game been different we'd be talking about a great home record but being winless on the road. It's not like we were blowing teams out on the road (save the Raider game)

22. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    If we go 0-4 we should probably see what we have in our rookie Ryan Mallett.

Oh Wait.......

Makados10 and MonstBlitz like this.
  23. The G Man

Mar 18, 2009
    Thanks to all that have posted their thoughts. Some real good input here, as I had hoped. That is why I started this thread. Not because I am anti-Sparano, or because I have a negative outlook. Having said that, I have lost a lot of confidence in Sparano, the FO and Ross recently.

Let me ask another question, because I didn't see the last game of the season last year. IIRC, it was reported the way the team played (or didn't) against NE, that it looked like Sparano had "lost the team" then. I mean, isn't that why Ross went and courted Harbaugh? In other words, several have suggested Sparano losing the team carries as much or more weight in the decision to fire him than the W/L record.

So, my question is, assuming he did lose the team in that last game last season, did he ever really get it back?

24. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    if the Fins lose to the Browns they will be looking at 0-5 right in the face. We will officially be in the "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes!

25. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes, I've heard of the concept behind "losing the locker room". I guess my question would be... at the point where you are firing the coach, you are clearly out of the playoff hunt. So what would be the point of trying to "find the locker room"? To generate maybe 1 extra win or 2, still miss the playoffs, and now have a worse set of draft picks for your new regime to build with?

And I'm sorry, but I dont buy that firing the coach improves attendence at all. People that werent going to games are not going to all of a sudden go to games b/c Sparano is gone. If they're "curious"... they'll be curious from their couch. People arent paying money to go to games at that point...

Lastly, you can start a coaching search whenever you want. Ross did it last offseason too lol...

26. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    i dont think attendance will be helped, but you can start the process way ahead of everyone else and get something locked down early. if its truly what ross wants, waiting doesnt help either.

i think after last season's "coaching search" ross is going to be much more decisive this time around...whenever that is of course. im not going to assume the season is over after 2 games. im just not.

we will have plenty of time to talk coaches when the time comes. i think its better to talk football while its being played

27. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If Miami wins the famous "Suck for Luck Sweepstakes", he'll just stay in school for his final year of eligibility. :sidelol:

That would be a nice kick in the nuts for the Suck for Luck bunch. :lol:

28. The G Man

Mar 18, 2009
    FN, all I'm going to say is that is an amazing avatar. And, this is coming from a guy that has received numerous comments on his own avy. But, when I see yours, I find myself leaning forward in my seat trying to see if I can see any more towards the bottom of that image. Amazing...just amazing. I'd love to know the source.

29. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    if they start 0-4, then I feel that 0-5 is a lock, and they need to grease the skids for making SURE that we land Andrew Luck. Sit important players, play rookies and young players. Not saying to "tank" the season, but you get my drift.

dolfan32323 and gamblerx like this.
  30. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Got it. You're saying to tank the season.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  31. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    With Sparano as head coach, I'm pretty sure tanking isn't the word. More like, just flat out suck...

dolfan32323 likes this.
  32. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    What about the Chiefs?

33. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Honestly I was patient with the offseason and decided to not say much till the season started. Seeing this team even though we played two good teams I can clearly tell we are not in the same class as the AFC East. This entire team needs to be blown out. There I said it. I am hoping against us winning any games now. I wan't Ross to have to make the move to cut Tony and Ireland from the strings.

I'm not sold on Henne either regardless of what people here think about him in the first two games. Personally I just don't get the feeling he gives a rats *** about winning. I see no leadership or emotion from the guy. I hate boring players and coaches. This team lacks any personality or reason for me to want them to win.

I just want Luck next year, and I want Daboll gone. Hes not going to be the answer he sucked in Cleveland and I don't think he will be much better here! Again my take and I know thats not popular but we should have did this last year. Ross will learn My prediction for the season 5-11

34. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Here is a gift for you....... :bag:

MrClean likes this.
  35. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Forget just sitting guys. Trade guys like Wake and Marshall, even if you only get 2nd rounders

36. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    well since we still suck at home, we can only hope....

37. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    What if...

I told you that there WAS indeed more towards the bottom of that image? I cropped it to make it a little more PG. Check your inbox... ;)

The G Man likes this.
  38. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I've gotta put you on the spot here. I see you in this thread having a rational polite debate. However, when I posted the SAME EXACT THREAD (only with a poll) just a little over 2 weeks ago, you had nothing but rude, smarmy comments to make even going so far as to say -

Yet here you are today, seemingly enjoying the same discussion. What gives?

39. The G Man

Mar 18, 2009
    :theman:

FinNasty likes this.
  40. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    No problem. B/c I dont like to think or talk about going 0-4 before we even see them take the field. Equally, I dont really like talking about firing the coach only after Week 2...

Now, as far as being rude, I dont remember being rude to you. If it was taken that way, I appologize. I thought I was talking in the same matter in that thread that I am in this one...