1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What REALLY happened with the QB situation this offseason... great read

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by arsenal, Sep 8, 2011.

1. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
  2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Good read. and maybe more important for some of our members to read it. probably won't change their minds until Henne proves it on the field, which is fine.
    If nothing else, my respect for Sparano climbs back up a little.

SCall13 likes this.
  3. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    That actually was a really great read, and certainly gives you some interesting insight into the franchise. However I still wonder how much of that is true.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

4. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I have no problem with Ireland not signing Orton to a long term contract.

I DO have a problem that he has yet to adequately address the QB position in 4 years. If Henne fails this year, Ireland should be held just as responsible as Sparano.

Let a new regime figure the position out.

DolfanJake likes this.
  5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I agreed with their evaluations on Henne, Orton and Moore. With Palmer, I think it comes down to health and I don't believe he'll ever be healthy enough to equal what he once was. I do think it's likely that Palmer is healthy enough to still be a very good QB though. I don't have a problem with them not promising any QB anything. And I'm really glad they didn't make that commitment to Orton. The three year rule Sparano talked about seems like a variation of the 1000 passes rule. Historically QBs would throw about 300 - 400 pass attempts per year (although now some teams throw almost 500 times a year), so that's about the same. Going forward I do hope they recognize the need to go "all in" when they see a guy with true franchise potential. I agreed with not making the big commitment to all the QBs that were talked about this past year in both free agency and the draft. Sometimes fans get desperate and don't see that difference. I hope Ireland recognizes that difference when a great talent is available. I think he did that with the acquisition of Marshall so maybe he does.

6. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    It's a valid point. But if Ireland and co. truly believed that Henne would come around and be a good enough QB, then it's hard to fault them not going all out to get a replacement. We had a LOT of other holes that had to be filled (talentwise you pervs)

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Anyone wanna play ''on the record''....lol...very accurate article..However, some of us could of wrote it ourselves..

This article defies the majority of people who thought they knew what was going on, but didn't have a clue, or, were completely inaccurate in what this team's intentions were all offseason, and only added to a negative perception that we now have...Not fair to the team, not understanding of the process, not fair to the coaches, or the players involved, no matter what happens on monday....This excerpt say's a lot..

''Ireland turned to Orton next. Let’s make one thing clear: Ireland did not “fail” to land Orton. If Ireland wanted to trade for Orton, he would have made it happen.

The Broncos were amenable to trading Orton, to get his $9 million salary off the books and give Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow a chance to perform. Orton was amenable to coming to Miami, feeling confident he could beat out Henne for the job. Miami would also give him a better shot at making the playoffs this year.

The only one who didn’t want to make the trade was Ireland.

Orton not only was due $9 million this year – a huge salary for someone who might only be the Dolphins’ backup quarterback – but, as a free agent in 2012, he wants long-term security. To keep Orton past this year would require a Kolb-type deal – at least three years and $20 million guaranteed.

That’s a huge commitment – financial and emotional – for a quarterback you’ve never worked with a day in your life. And you’re not even convinced that he’s an upgrade to Henne, anyway.

“To leverage the franchise to go and do something else different than what we had here with Chad and his continued development, we just didn’t feel like we needed to do that at this time,” Ireland said during the broadcast of the Panthers preseason game''..

Well done Irish..

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    This proves that many fans are reactionary cry babies that are actively seeking for any reason to justify the ample sand in their vaginas.

This regime may not have lived up to the hype so far, but they are far from incompetent and the only reason people consider us a joke of an organization is because the FO is too silent and would rather be secretive than squash the BS the media and fans, quite literally, makes up out of thin air.

9. madforrit

madforrit New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    I strongly believe had Ireland been able to land Palmer, he would have done it in a heartbeat, without a QB competition. I'm still of the opinion that the Orton talk was largely smoke and mirrors to push Mike Brown to try to get something for Palmer. Orton wasn't viewed as much of an upgrade over Henne, but Palmer probably was. When it became clear that Brown wasn't playing hardball with anyone but himself and was fully willing to cut off his nose to spite his face, staying with Henne was the only real option for this season.

10. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Don't get too snarky now.

11. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I love it. Great article...can we get this season started already??

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Exactly, being incompetent would be giving Orton 20 million guaranteed.

13. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    The article didn't clear anything up for me really. Thank for posting it thought, arsenal.

The Dolphins were looking to upgrade the QB position and create a competition for Chad Henne. In their minds, they did that with Matt Moore. That was the reasoning for being non-committal. They were fine with the prospect of going into 2011 with Chad Henne. Which again, most fans already knew. So, I don't see how this clears up many fans thoughts of the whole thing.

The issue with the fans is whether Henne is/isn't the right guy to continue leading forward. From there, fan's opinions on the matter stretch. Ireland should have, would have done this type stuff.

But the meat and potatoes of the thing isn't exactly eye opening. It was well documented and known throughout.

gunn34 likes this.
  14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Because many of those same fans and media said the FO was so inept they couldn't get a deal done on Orton.

5thAmendment and ToddsPhins like this.
  15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think the article confirms that they didn't see much out there that was a real upgrade. That was what I thought the fans and media failed to get. They simplistically evaluate on results and then place all the blame on the QB. A true evaluator looks at the QB's talent and separates that from the various things that will influence the results.

16. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    I always thought that Irish was acting in the best interest of the team long term, there is a cap to deal with and he has made decisions that will favor the team in the future even if Henne fails

djphinfan, Mile High Fin and SCall13 like this.
  17. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Henne, without a doubt, was the best option for the Dolphins. Orton, contrary to some people's beliefs, was not going to be an upgrade. The only thing he would have done was upgrade our salary cap number. Henne did have issues last year. But he performed much better overall than the oft-hailed Mark Sanchez. I think Henne has much more potential. Sanchez, IMO, has already reached his ceiling. But that's another subject. The bottom line is this: we need to stand behind our team, our QB, our coaches. If things go well, then GREAT. If not, we'll have to get behind whoever comes in to replace the current regime. My bold prediction: HENNE will surprise a lot of people this year. And make his haters shut the **** up.

18. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    In other words if Palmer was available he probably would be starting this monday night. Now I got it.

19. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Not exactly. If Palmer was available he probably would have been brought in and not promised anything. Then depending on his health and preseason performance and Henne's preseason performance, Palmer may have been starting on Monday. If Palmer stunk it up he could easily have been given the Garrard treatment.

20. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    How did you get that from the following statements?

21. Mile High Fin

Mile High Fin New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    Good article enlightening the fans of the true events....

22. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    There is NO WAY this article is true!!!

I know so because I read a hundred threads and thousands of posts that told me differently and posters always have the inside scoop!

RevRick, 5thAmendment and ToddsPhins like this.
  23. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    :wink2: :knucks:

I think it comes back to a handful of idiots who so desperately wanted a new QB that they blindly pushed the issue as if the team would be influenced by their nonsensical desires. Then you have the multitude of bandwagon drones following & parroting them to the point where one giant mob of idiots arose who had no idea what the heck they were talking about.

Let's not forget the whole lobbying for Ryan Mallett issue and how certain, biased individuals (not in the know) publicly criticized this organization for not "pulling the trigger" on Mallett..... in the first round to boot. If our organization considered Orton & Palmer to be potential "depth" at QB, then they also likely believed that using a draft pick on Mallett as a backup QB was less important than fixing the rest of the offense and building it around Henne.

Just sayin---- I was right all along. nee-ner-nee-ner :tongue2:

slickj101, Killerphins and djphinfan like this.
  24. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    THIS...

I recall an interview with Coach Shula talking about his success as a coach had to do with implementing a system that fit the players strengths. With the Dolphins of the 70's it was pound the ball with Csonka. But with Marino it was "ATTACK!"

Not saying Henne is Marino...NO WAY! But I see similarities in styles that best suit them. I thought JJ seriously limited Marino's strength by trying to implement his style that was successful in Dallas and pulling Marino's freedom to audible. I think the same is true of Henning's system for Henne. If the preseason is an indicator Henne will be a completely different QB in a system that allows him to attack.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  25. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Just keep him from throwing a INT during the 4th quarter and I'm happy.

26. 5thAmendment

5thAmendment Banned

Aug 29, 2011
    I see what you did there.

[​IMG]

ToddsPhins likes this.
  27. 5thAmendment

5thAmendment Banned

Aug 29, 2011
    Yeah. Most of the Henne bashers seem to have evaporated, and the Ryan Mallett bandwagon is damn near empty.

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Pat fans are not happy with Toro..

ToddsPhins and 5thAmendment like this.
  29. 5thAmendment

5thAmendment Banned

Aug 29, 2011
    If you're trading for a QB who makes 8-10 million like a Palmer or Orton they instantly become the starter. Either that, or Ireland can explain to the bosses why he spent draft picks and millions for a guy who can't beat out the guy making 550K. Henne's current backup makes over 4 times as much as he does, which is bad enough. So it was pretty clear from early on that we weren't likely to make a move this year. The media kept the story alive to drive traffic and ratings, the (ill-informed) fans did the rest.

I

ToddsPhins likes this.
  30. 5thAmendment

5thAmendment Banned

Aug 29, 2011
    How could that be? I heard he was the best passer in the whole draft!

ToddsPhins likes this.
  31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    first of all, welcome to the site man, here's a little welcoming present..

Its one of dozens in one thread on their fansites board, and if you want more let me know, lol

''As I posted on Facebook, Mallett has the pocket presence of the late-career happy-footed Drew Bledsoe, if Drew also had cataracts, cement shoes, and was on Quaaludes. To say he's an unpolished gem would be a kindness. When he does manage to get a pass off he fires it around three times harder than he needs to and usually not on target. I know they took him fairly high, and probably couldn't sneak him to the PS, but I think if I were BB I'd make him a game-day inactive on a weekly basis. If things get so bad in a game that both Brady and Hoyer get injured, they're screwed anyway; better to use that roster spot weekly for a person who will contribute. In a pinch they can always throw Edelman in at QB.

There were legit reasons why the dude dropped like a bad habit...because he had bad habit's....Not saying he eventually he won't develop, but this is good news from strictly a football standpoint.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  32. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    No I was the one who was right...... :tongue2:

ToddsPhins likes this.
  33. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

Just my opinion basically. I really feel that if Palmer was available he would have a great chance of being our starter. Of course that didnt pan out so Sparano has no choice to say Henne is our guy and he always was.

34. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    While I always maintained that that they shouldn't make a move, I disagree that a move wasn't likely. They were planning to bring in somebody. It's also obvious that whomever they brought in was going to make considerably more than Henne. Yet the article also made it clear that it was going to be an open competition from the beginning.

35. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Didn't pan out really? How could it almost pan out when Palmer was never ever available. What about his elbow. Who knows if that is even fine. Dude you're reaching with complete and total speculation and not a bit of fact.

36. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    The same people that screamed about how terrible Matt Moore was when he got here are the same people who wanted him to start after the first preseason game.... Oh the irony!

37. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    What my take from this article is that Ireland and Sparano have both put their jobs on the line this season and the only way they can return is for Henne to improve drastically over his first two seasons as a starter. I am no fan of Ireland, Sparano, or Henne, but if Henne proves me wrong and he becomes the quality starter Ireland and Sparano believe he can be, he will not only save his job as well as Sparano and Ireland.

I don't agree with the decision of Ireland and Sparano to go with Henne this season, but right now they have no other real option. If this doesn't work out, Ireland, Sparano, and Henne will all be somewhere other than in Miami next season. I hope Henne is the QB so many on here think he is, but I just don't think he will have the success this season many others feel he will have.

38. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    [​IMG]

ToddsPhins likes this.
  39. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    My take was Ireland looked at the situation and decieded they would do a good job rather than panic and just get a quarterback to just get a quarterback.

40. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Did you not see the part about" MY OPINION" ?? . And by not "panning out" I meant that the Dolphins were interested in Palmer and they couldnt get him for reasons out of their control. Hence, "pan out" . And, what exactly am I reaching for ??? The Dolphins admitted ( if any of the numerous stories are true) that they in fact WERE interested in him knowing he wanted out of Cincy. As far as Palmers` overall health , who the hell knows??