1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the also-rans really need in NFL draft, (Miami)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Onehondo, Apr 9, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    FOXSports.com
    by Randy Hill
    Veteran columnist Randy Hill is a frequent contributor to FOXSports.com

MIAMI DOLPHINS

The biggest news was the hiring of Bill Parcells to buy the groceries, but not cook the meal ... yet.

Anyway, the Dolphins were terrible in a few areas, but the obvious need is a quarterback that might allow them to rank higher than 24th for aerial success.

Unfortunately, Boston College's Matt Ryan is the top-rated QB in this draft, but hardly seems worth the risk of taking No. 1 overall. For the record, I don't care how intellectually stellar he seemed while responding to the "What kind of tree would you be if you could be a tree" inquiry from NFL teams.

Watching this kid probably didn't make any of us stand up and scream "Dan Marino!" (It should be noted that Marino didn't even do this during his final year at Pitt.)

Parcells could choose to protect whoever ends up as his QB by selecting offensive tackle Jake Long of Michigan or rebuild what had been an aging defense by taking Chris "Howie's Kid" Long, a big-motor defensive end from Virginia.

Subsequent rounds should see Parcells go up and down the aisles in the defensive section.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8000404?MSNHPHMA

2. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Way off base IMHO, every sports writer in the league that's worth his pencil has us taking anybody BUT Matt Ryan. No way we take Ryan, just not happening.

3. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Yeah I think Hill was much more concerned with turning colorful remarks and tongue in cheek phrases than anything else. I guess that's what happens when all you're left with is rehashing new and information. It's going to be like that until after the draft. Then all of the writers will spend the next few weeks coming up with "draft grades"; "hit or miss" lists and "draft winners and losers" articles.