1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the Fins need...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by FinFan316, May 4, 2010.

Tags:
  1. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    ....is for Thigpen to play great in the preseason. And then, if someone who is suppose to contend loses a QB (Minnesota, Houston-immediately come to mind) his value would skyrocket.

One of the reasons that Schaub's value was so high was because when he was in ATL he played great in the preseason. I know we all say it doesn't matter. We think we convince ourselves...and then if someone goes down, we immediately look to whatever we can find.

Its a longshot, but I am going to be watching him very closely, along with the rookies, in preseason. If he plays great, we could keep him and be set up at QB. Or..we could wait until some team needs him....

gunn34 and jetssuck like this.
  2. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

This is very true.....and probably what the FO is counting on to trim the roster down to 3 QB's. And Penny could be the one traded instead...... but Thigpen should be in higher demand.

You know the FO is dying to get their hands on a 2nd rounder next season.... hell even a third.

djphinfan likes this.
  3. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    I would like to get rid of Thiggy, but why would Houston come to mind??? :confused1:

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, the ideal would be Matt Hasselbach, Schaub managed to start a couple of games in Atlanta while Mike Vick was injured.

Hasselbach was strictly a preseason player who the Seahawks gave up a #1 pick for in the mid 2000's.

djphinfan likes this.
  5. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    If Schaub goes down, who do they have? I think they signed Carr and Grossman? Thigpen has played better (and recently) in this league than either one of those guys. Houston is loaded at alot of positions. Thigpen can make more plays, IMO, than either of those guys. Now if they picked up someone behind either one of them, color me stupid and forget I said anything! :wink2:

Although, I am not sure I want to help them out. If Schaub goes down, I might demand a first rounder for young Tyler (not that I think ANYONE would give that....) Depends on how good his PS is.

6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    keep Thigpen

Tin Indian and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  7. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    nobody would give up higher than a 4th for a qb whose current record in the nfl as a starter is 1-10. (and lets go ahead and give him another loss for that steelers game as well)

i'll be happy to eat those words if im wrong, but I do not see it.

8. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    Much better example. Thanks!

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Grossman is DC, Carr is in SF so you made the right call.

Okoye has been a disappointment in TX, but is still quite young, I would not mind taking a shot at him.

10. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

If Thigpen shows much improvement, you keep him point blank! A team needs two good Qb's and Penny is not going to be here next year.

Tin Indian, MrClean and Fin D like this.
  11. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    you can't pin that game on thigpen at all. the guy came off the bench with no previous reps and provided a spark. would you expect pennington or white to come in and do that if henne goes down. that is what i don't see
    unless there is absolutely a deal you can't refuse for thigpen you have to keep him. I see him as a solid #2 :up:

12. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007

Houstons kind of random honestly haha, you could say the same about the colts, pats, chargers or like half of the NFL. If any of their starting QBs went down theyd kind of be in a bad spot.

13. princekong2

princekong2 New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    The only teams i see picking up Thigpen to possibly start for them are
    Vikings- If Favre doesnt come back
    Eagles-If they get rid of Vick and Kolb is a fail
    Cardinals-If Lineart cant live up to his potential
    Bills-Nuff Said?

14. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Keep Thigpen. Find a buyer for Pat White and admit you screwed up that pick.:wink2: Pennington isn't going to be around forever.

Roman529, gunn34, Phins28 and 6 others like this.
  15. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    I don't understand why so many people want to trade Thigpen so badly. Isn't it nice to finally have some sort of comfort knowing you have some depth at QB?

Fin D and gunn34 like this.
  16. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    He happened to be on a horrible team that year. And though his team was horrible, the offense was not. He was not. He played well, all things considered.

17. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I see what you're saying for sure, however I dont think the Ideal situation is trading off Thigpen. He's a quality backup that I'd like to keep around on this roster. Everyone knows that Pennington's days are numbered, pretty sure we've got him on the roster to dump off before the season starts if someone's QB goes down.

I'm much more comfortable with our QBs being Henne, Thigpen, Pennington, or Henne, Thigpen & White. Than I am having them be Henne, White, Pennington for one more year. At that point, we then need to find another third QB to replace Penny with when he packs it in, which we can assume is soon.

Really wishing we didnt have Pat White at QB right now. I know he's got alot of talent, but at this point, I really dont like taking up a spot at QB on the depth chart for him. If Penny is moved, and Thiggy and White stick, I'm ok with that I guess.

18. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    I don't think the Colts or Pats would go for a stop gap measure. They will go with what they've got, ala Cassell in 08.

The Chargers, I am not sure. I don't think Turner is near as secure as the coaches in Indy or NE.

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Keep White, peddle Thigpen, rely on Penny to be the #3 Qb in 2010...:up:

That keeps the WC intact, provides Vet leadership and nets a player or a pick for 2011..

20. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    You are insane man! :lol: :hi5:

21. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Provided a spark and just as quickly blew it out with two picks. the guy is a loser. I don't mean he's not cool. I mean he just always loses.

Does anyone remember when we played the chiefs when he was the starter for them? They were up 3 scores on us, i believe thigpen had 2 td passes in the first half. They were taking us to the cleaners. 2nd half: no tds and two picks, chiefs lose. He's like Fiedler in almost every way except the good part, fiedler managed to win more games than lose them.

And yeah, i may be alone in it, but i do blame the steelers game on him. The knock on the guy was that he just can't pull it together to win football games. The chiefs let him walk for that reason and he proved it in that steelers game. He went in and did some nice things but in the end he couldn't punch it in despite our defense randomly giving him more than enough chances.

22. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    here is the big difference
    thigpen will be the BACKUP qb :wink2:

23. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    this is just my opinion, i know im in the minority and that's perfectly fine. I don't trust Thigpen to go in and win us any games. He's got loser stink all over him. If at any point in this season we're stuck between Penny and Thigpen, i sincerely hope they go Penny.

24. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    problem is pennington's arm could be a ghost. we don't know. there is a reason he is listed at 3.
    henne might be healthy all season we hope
    but if he limps out with an eye injury or something it could bad
    we saw the white disaster last year
    if i had my druthers it would be thigpen :up:

25. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    The only person that keeps the WC intact is Ronnie Brown......White isn't even a factor in the WC. When he comes in, it's not the wildcat.....

MrClean and Ozzy like this.
  26. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Yes.Thats why we traded for Thigpen in the first place .Pennington was injured.

Its unlikely we would get a draft pick out of Pat White but Thigpen has value and I dont think we will carry 4 QBs.

27. Smith

Smith New Member

Apr 24, 2008
    I agree. There going to trade Pennington during traing camp. Just watch Why did you think he through in that milion in half on the end of the contract if traded.
    That was his thank you bonus for winning us the division.

28. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Thigpin is better then White.

So keep Thigpin.

Tin Indian and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  29. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    This coaching staff knows that CP can win 11 games. We can all speculate that TT is better (younger, more upside, etc) than CP. But we aren't keeping four and they staff already knows what they have in CP, should Henne be sidelined for any period of time.

My answer would be, cut White, keep the two better QBs. But I don't make that call. And if we are going to get rid of a QB, its best to do it when his value is at its highest level.

30. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

So that makes White the #2 for 2010? :no::no::no:

How on earth does that keep the WC intact? White ain't the WC. Ronnie Brown is the WC in Miami for Gawd sake. :(

Eat a lot of paint chips as a kid did ya? :chuckle:

You know what?

I am so sick and F***ING tired of all the trade Thigpen threads around here. Anyone who says it is a good idea, with all due respect, is an idiot as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather talk see more 'Ted Ginn was misunderstood', or 'why we should have drafted Dez Bryant' threads than see another one, which will be about #67, to do with trading Thigpen. :sad:

There is not one positive and plausible scenario we could have at QB in 2k10 that includes trading Thigpen.

We finally have 2 good young QBs, both with experience and success as starters and some well meaning and ignorant saps want to trade one, so we can have a completely unproven #2 and a brittle rehabbing past his prime #3.

:headwall: :headwall:

Larryfinfan likes this.
  31. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Ok, so let me get this right....you want Thiggy to play lights out in the preseason so we can trade him for something higher than what he might bring now (5th rounder or so). Ok, that's fine....

So, what you're saying is if Thiggy outplays White, we should trade Thiggy and keep the lesser of the two players, for the difference between a 5th rounder and maybe a 3rd rounder...at best ?? I don't see the logic...

If Thiggy plays better, keep him...dump White or Penny...

MrClean likes this.
  32. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Do they, really ?? After yet another surgery and another year older ?? I don't think it's quite as clear cut as you seem to think...

MrClean likes this.
  33. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Penny has a no trade clause.

34. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    We have to be honest fans and take off the rose colored glasses off when it comes to Pat White. Admit we made a mistake and make a trade and move on. It goes like this for this year, Henne, Thigpen, and Pennington. Next year Pennington is gone and we draft a real QB ( By not thinking Wildcat first) to be groomed to take his place.

35. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Brother Pennington can be traded. He changed his contract. If he gets traded he gets an additional 1.5 million.:wink2:

Trowa and texanphinatic like this.
  36. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    And we also have to be honest, Dolphins fans, that 1yr is not nearly long enough to make such a judgment, Thiggy cannot get to the edge, and Pennington's shoulder is held together with duct tape and hope...

The Wildcat is still very much a part of the Dolphins team moving forwards, White has a role, a large role in it, that is why he was drafted at #43, that is what he is expected to do in Miami.:up:

37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ahh, like the smell of honey suckle in the morning Mr C, that is beautiful.

Of course one will be upset when Thiggy is dealt, but that is cool, we picked him up inseason for a 5th rd pick, White will show up this year...:up:

38. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Bro he is fighting to make this team. He can't complete a pass in a live game and he is too small of a frame to play wide receiver. I don't want to waste a roster spot for this guy, and put a talented player that will help our team on the PS only to get picked off by another team and we are still stuck with Pat White! What can Pat White do for us?

39. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    not with pat white come on now
    henning never designed plays for him in the wildcat
    give me an example of white in the WC
    we should have seen it possibly
    didnt happen

40. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    Ok...let me get this straight. You think I make the decision? Or...

Let me get THIS straight...you think any way in hell, regardless of how Thigpen plays in Preseason he starts over Henne?

Let me GET THIS straight...do you think the FO who drafted Pat White with a SECOND ROUND pick is ready to accept that he sucks and pull the plug on him?

I hope they would, but I am not holding my breath. I think they are more comfortable with Pennington and have their arses invested in White...

One other thing we should get straight....You don't think we are keeping 4 QBs do you? Ok...just making sure.

So, unless this FO is more flexible than I think they might be, we are keeping three QBs and it might not be Thigpen. IMO, that sucks. But, if it is that way, then I think, just to get it straight, we should hope he plays great in PS and someteam have a streak of bad luck at QB. That would be the best scenario IF we have to dump Tyler. I hope we don't. I think he can play in this league. But...once again...I DONT MAKE THOSE CALLS!