1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to make of Fins Offense/Defense using Saints as en example

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolphins1Beatles, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Okay, we all assume the secondary is bound to struggle. I wouldn't be too surprised if we get torched by Lee Evans for a 50 yard TD next week based on the 2009 season. Or any receiver any week. With the news of Jason Allen starting, there has to be a concern now, unless they prove us wrong. Vontae has looked improved, and hopefully he plays every game like he did against Atlanta 2 weeks ago. That could make up for the weakness on the other side, but he has to prove it in the regular season first. Guarding talented Lee Evans is a good start.(I don't care who is throwing to him, he makes plays, and if Vontae stops him it will be a great sign.)

So will we be comparable to the Saints of 2007/2008? In 2008 the Saints had the #1 ranked offense and #23rd on defense. They finished 8-8 and in last place. Being #1 on offense probably won't happen, I guess that depends on Henne, but I'd expect anywhere from #10-#5.

There is a silver lining though. Last year the Phins had the 17th ranked offense and 22nd Defense, finished 7-9 in 3rd place. That's pretty close to the Saints, and they had the best offense in 2008, and a similar defense to what ours was last year. So, is it that the Dolphins are more efficient? It might be the fact that we hold onto the ball longer than the Saints did with their explosive passing game that year. They were a better team in 2008 than ours in 09, yet only won 1 more game.

I'm thinking since we obviously have a better run game then they did, we'll need to burn some clock and keep our defense off the field, especially against passing teams. Kind of like the Colts gameplan, except now Marshall can be there to make catches once we get close. The Saints were a score quick team, and it didn't work since they didn't have a good defense.

I don't know, it seems everything went back to doom and gloom today. Maybe I'm trying to make myself feel better haha.