1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was going on with the Dolphins when you Signed up.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Jt0323, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    After talking to Raul, I realized that time has flew by. It feels like yesterday I joined this site! I signed up in 2004 Almost 8 years to the day, before thephins was thephins. During that time I was 15 years old. Dolphins were going into the 2004 season when Ricky Williams retired. I just remember being so pissed off at Ricky. I thought losing Ricky was going to suck, but atleast we had our savior A.J. Feeley! He was going to win us a Super Bowl with out Ricky! I mean we did have Chris Chambers, Marty Booker and Randy McMichael! The two things I recall from that season is the first game of the season got moved up because a storm was coming in Miami that Sunday so they moved it to Saturday. And the Dolphins upsetting the Patriots on MNF in our orange Jersey! Man 8 years flies by!

So what was going on when you joined, and what made you join thephins?

2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I think I found the other site after phinzone went belly up. That was around the Wannstedt era. Arguing with other posters about whether Jay Fiedler could lead the team to the superbowl. lol, sad thing is, those were the good old days. Wish we were that competitive again.

3. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    You must be a young one to think the Wanny era were the "good ole days".
    I feel for you not having experienced the true "good ole days" of this franchise.
    Wanny and Fiedler were not near our best days.

I honestly can't remember what was going on when I joined the previous site.
    Not sure if it was before Shula left and JJ was hired or not.
    Somewhere around that time.

Looking back, I think we all knew how sad it was to see the Shula era end followed by the end of the Marino era.....
    We all knew we'd see some growing pains in getting past those losses but I don't think any of us knew or even wanted to fathom just how bad it would get as time went on. :pity:

4. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

This site didn't exist under any name in 2004. Most of the earliest members were refugees from Finheaven.com, back in 2007.

Ozzy, DaFish, Conuficus and 8 others like this.
  5. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    let me re change the question then, when you first started posting in Dolphin Forums, what was going on

6. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Dolphins just hired Jimmy Johnson as head coach.

7. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    :up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Pretty much lol. My earliest Dolphin memories are 1992 (6). I can remember a handful of game from 92 ad 93. I can remember from 94 onward. The 2000-2002 seasons are pretty much the good old days a decade + later. Can't believe its been so long.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  9. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I knew it! :lol:

To feel good about your franchise you should check out some of the NFL films of the early 70's teams and the Marino years in the mid to late 80's!
    Will hold you over until we hopefully finally turn this ship around..... again I say hopefully!

10. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    The worst.

Because of Sunday Ticket's rules, they couldn't air the game out of market because it was on Saturday and they weren't allowed to go up against college football. First Dolphins game I missed in years. I did listen on radio though. Actually, the Steelers game 2 weeks later was also moved to Sunday night because of hurricane issues. It still poured though and it was an ugly game. That was Ben Roethlisberger's first start.

If you remember, the same thing happened the next year where a game against the Chiefs got moved to a Friday night, and same thing. Sunday Ticket couldn't air it because of High School football rules (LOL), or something similar. So again I had to listen on the radio.

Turrible.

I believe I joined FH going into the 2005 season. Thus beginning my legendary message board status.

11. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Pretty similar to me. I was born in '86 and '93 was the year I really started to get into them. I remember seeing the highlights when Don Shula broke the record for most wins as a head coach against Philly, and then the Leon Lett Thanksgiving game was right after that and I remember being really into that game as well. 1994 was when I started to become the die-hard fan I am today. I still remember crying when we lost that game in San Diego in the playoffs.

12. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Joined Fin Heaven in 02 or 03 I can't exactly remember. Then came here immediately when I found out about the "great migration" :lol: I do remember Ricky was tearing up the Dolphins rushing record as Wannstache was overworking Ricky and he decided to retire to smoke pot with the Mahareshi in Nepal or something like that.

13. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Joined this board earlier this year from the recommination of my friend Jetssuck from another board we'd both been members on since 2004 or so thats slowing down. We didnt know there that he was ill, and I learned after joining here that he'd passed away. So, kind of a weird circumstance.

As to message boards as a whole, I started posting on various boards in the late 90s (mainly the Sporting News at first), in the final Marino years.

14. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    7-9

15. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Well lets see ... I remember back in the late 90's when AOL had a sports forum and each team had a thread. Marino's career was winding down and a lot of discussion back then was on possible successors. Who knew that 13-14 years later we'd still be looking for that guy? :pity:

Lets hope we finally have one in T-hill :up:

RevRick likes this.
  16. KennyStang

KennyStang Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I had to go back to FH to see when I first signed up on there. Looks like December of 2003. It seems that I signed up a few days after the Dolphins beat the Cowboys in the Thanksgiving game. I was at that game, and at that time it was my first ever chace to see the Dolphins in person. I was on an emotional high for a couple of weeks until the Fins lost their next two to the Patriots and Eagles and basically knocked us out of the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row. Then game the infamous 2004 season where Ricky decided to leave the NFL to smoke weed... those dark days are better left undiscussed.

17. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Were you on the old threaded board back in 1996-97 with DolFiend and a few others in the old days of dial-up connections. I cannot recall what we called that board, but it was the first Dolphins board I found, and being out in the sticks in GA at that time... it was amazing to me to find a group of phinfanatics. I think finfanatic was another person's screen name as well.

18. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Was a charter member at FH and grew really tired of the constant BS over there. So George made me come here... :)

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  19. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I was reading this site since the start of the Parcells era...only started posting last year. Some of my first posts were just before the Carolina preseason game last year haha.

I remember reading here and loving the overall optimism of FINALLY having someone "who got it" at the healm. If only we knew (some of you did call it to be fair).

20. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    This site? Well, we were just coming off an AFC East division title and the Ravens spanking us in the playoffs.

Other than that, it was a lot of suckage mixed in with more suckage.

21. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My story. Grew up father like son. Dolphins fan. I was in high school (in Illinois) when I first joined the (other) dolphin site in 2004 (parents still had dial up), then I moved to Arizona for college to attend ASU. Was fortunate enough to have the Dolphins-Chargers game in 04 relocated to my dorms backyard! (remember the Brian Griese experiment) Couldn't believe it though. Free Monday Night Football tickets doesn't happen every day when your favorite team is involved. Let alone 300 feet from your college dorm room! Almost reached the 1000 posts plateau at the old forum, but was a few short before I heard from my buddies/masses that we were all making the move together to this site. Transitioned and have never looked back, not once. There is a few of us, I met all the C2C crew in NYC, but many others that I have read over the years that I feel like I know, but don't. Lot of knowledge on this forum. Would name names but you all know who you are. Reps to Jetssuck!

"Most of the earliest members were refugees from Finheaven.com, back in 2007". Thank you (Mr Clean).

This ^

22. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    I joined on my birtday, while deployed to Iraq. I was given the day off from missions and made my way over to the computer room set up on the main FOB. Did a seach for dolphins news and came across this site.

23. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I signed up as "SickFinFan33" at finheaven way back in September 2006. I remember Juan Huron, 'zach thomas to safety', the depths, and some great members like finfancali, muck, cnc66, samphin, like2god, fininthemoon etc etc

We all met up in new jersey for the dolphins/jet game the season we went 1-15.....I sprained the hell out of my ankle (thanks jordan) and still had a blast.

Good times! I of course followed the migration over here when we were deciding on names, color schemes, and when alen1 was a post whore with little to add to a conversation.

Now alen is a football guru genius, and i have more posts than him :pity:

Boy how times change.

Jt0323 likes this.
  24. f. krayzee

f. krayzee New Member

Aug 20, 2012
    when i signed up, Ryan Tannehill had just been named starter for a preseason game.

yeah, i'm new.

25. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    This, I want to do this again.

SICK likes this.
  26. steeda

steeda Active Member

Nov 29, 2007
    I signed up for FH right after Wanny quit. Then I kept on posting on both places since - although not that much because my football knowledge is limited and I don't want to risk sounding like too much of an idiot :lol:

27. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Usenets in ninety something. Marino was still a god. Mostly lurked, don't remember what usernames I had. Didn't go WWW for a long time.

28. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I remember back then being impossible finding any way to watch online. Streams were non existing back then, I watched the little helmets go back and forth on NFL.com for the longest time, living in New York. It was brutal

29. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

I started at the Herald in 2000 and I think it was Chris that told me about this place that was much better called FH. So I followed him over in 2001. I was one of the cast offs from there and set up home here with Mal and Muck. Been here ever since. Honestly couldn't tell you what was going on when I first started posting in 2000. I became a fan after the Superbowl 72-73.

Ozzy and Jt0323 like this.
  30. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I think it was 2006 or so when I joined at Finheaven. I used to be Edmond Dantes at FH for a while, then assumed my current identity. Then after the exodus to the promised land I've stayed since I think it was Nov 2007.

I used to post on the ESPN boards. That place was a slum. :lol:

Ozzy likes this.