1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your first job?

Discussion in 'Jobs Forum' started by Kanye West, Oct 2, 2008.

1. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    First Job, was actually kinda cool. Kinda made me hate work later lol. I had a 3 day a week job, then was asked for 5 days. I wanted cash so I excepted, i had a olds cutless that needed new T tops. I took care of the buffet. Now we had Shrimp, crab and hot foods(IN NY LOL) . It was hard work (it was because it was, very busy) i usually was the only one to do 3 peoples work but I felt so empowered that I was 15 and I have this Authority. I was trained by a lovely women that was so happy she got a day off, but also it was pride because in that joint everyone cared for others.

I slopped up puke, cleaned Bathrooms, and even found dirty tampons. But hey Im 15 you learn right. 3.75/hr lucky it jumped to a womping 4.25 the next yr. then i moved to a tipping job in a nice hotel.

2. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    My first job I was a bag boy at ghetto Winn-Dixie in Miami. Wasn't bad for an 11 grader

3. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    :lol:

4. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    9th grade. Bag boy at Publix on the weekends.

5. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

First paying job at age 8, Cut kindling and carried coal into the house for the stove in the kitchen and also upstairs for our old pot belly stove, for heat in the winter. Cut the lawn in the summer, I should add the lawn was about 2 acres and it was a push mower. Course in those days that was called chores. The pay - $5.00 a month which was a heck of alot in the 40's.

My first job for a paycheck was at 13, during the summer, at a Cafeteria washing pots, dishes, and also working the waterhole. Today you would call that job the Beverage server. Oh, and the pay for this 9 hour, 6 day aweek job. $24.50.

6. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    My first job is looking for a job. Unemployed as usual.

7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    You old faugy!!! :lol:

Landscaping was mine...my old man didnt want me to work at McD's or some job like that, he wanted me outside, humping......and the summers I didnt have a job, he would make re-paint the house....

8. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    First job, I was 6 years old and picked cucumbers for sale at a local Rainbow "vat" is what they called the facility. Each year the number of rows increased. Had to do everything other than plow the ground with a mule. By the time I was 13, my Dad decided a half acre of okra was a good idea. Had to break the soil and plow rows walking behind a mule. Absolute hell and I hate vegetable garden to this day. These were summer jobs. Oh yeah, started cutting yards too around 13. Found a job at a printing shop at 14. Anything to get me out of the damned garden.

9. RunRickyRun

RunRickyRun New Member

Oct 15, 2009
    My first job----

was my last one.

Now I show up and steal my paycheck.

10. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Im 16. I've had many jobs. Worked doing professional BBQ's, DJ, at an office scanning papers and in the filing room, and now Im a soccer referee, and I founded my own online business. I've been lucky that all of these have payed pretty well

11. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    First job, aside from cutting the lawn, was working as the Salad Bar Attendant at a Ruby Tuesday when I was 15. Decent pay for starting - $6.50hr - and worked with a few of my high school buddies.

I'd definitely say I like what I do now a lot better - Special Projects Coordinator for Anthony Munoz's Charitable Foundation here in Cincinnati.

12. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    My brother and I would pick oranges, grapefruit, lemons, and kumquats and sell them. We got the fruit for free from our yard and also by asking neighbors if we could have some of their fruit from their trees. I was about 8 and my brother was about 7. We'd spend most of the money we earned at Dairy Queen because we were so hot after walking around and picking fruit in the summer heat of South Florida. :)

First paycheck job was at Whataburger when I was 15. The food back then was so much better there than it is today. The job sucked and the manager was an old crusty Korean War vet Marine. He was strict but funny. I once asked him if he had killed anyone in Korea and he replied, "That's what we were there for!"

Anyhow, my pay was a whopping $1.60/hr.

13. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    My first job was delivering the Miami News. It was the afternoon paper in Miami and I delivered it on my bike when I was 11 years old.

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Only bumped this thread because I was looking for the CiF 18 year old thread.

15. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Worked at a movie theater. Free movies! But was a crappy year for movies(early 2004). Alot of the ushers I worked with trashed the theater more than the customers did. Shooting cups into the trash cans from the top of the aisles, usually missing. Smashing the fire exit signs with broomsticks. And whatever else that didnt involve actually working.

16. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    As a teen, along with mowing the yard at my house, which I was expected to do as one of my chores, I'd mow each of my grandparents' yards - one a week, rotating - every summer as a teen. Each was 4-5 acres and hilly, and I used a push mower, so it was a bit of work. Made $20/week, and I had to make it last because other than birthday money, it was all I had all year long.

My first "real" job was work study in college. I started the Monday after I turned 18 because there was a rule against hiring minor students *shrug*. I worked in the office of my dept. answering phones, making copies, sending faxes, filling envelopes, being a gopher across campus and delivering mail. About 20 hours a week, at minimum wage, which
    I think was $4.25/hr then (1995). I lived in the dorm and had a meal plan, so the $120 or so I made after taxes every two weeks was pure spending money in my pocket.

17. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    awful job as a dishwasher at Quincy's steakhouse. It's a buffet-steakhouse. hordes of fat people in Mississippi stuffing their plates with fried food and smothering it in melted cheese. not only was it really gross, but the managers refused to fix the AC in the dish room. typically > 90 degrees with full humidity during peak hours, watched more than one person pass out working there. So bad, after 6 months, I was the senior dishwasher (out of 8 or 9) because everyone else quit.