1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would our cap look like if we release JT?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Salary Cap' started by padre31, May 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, someone has to ask the question:

If we released Jason Taylor, what would the cap ramifications be? I thought he was scheduled to make 9 milion this season.

And do we have the cap space currently to abosrb such a move?

Incoming:

:crapstrom:

Bpk likes this.
  2. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

No one dare respond.

Honestly, I cannot, for the life of me, ever make sense of how they calculate these cap hits.

I know this much... I bet there's a before June 1st, after June 1st thingy involved. lol.

Bpk

felly smarts, alen1 and padre31 like this.
  3. Bpk

Of course.. that makes me think.. why would we cut him? If he holds out, does he count against the cap? I guess he does, huh? I mean, I can't imagine him holdong out all season, though... he'd lose too mch in fines... plus he loves Parcells.

I can see JT either having to play under protest, or retiring.

No cap hit for retirement, bro.... which is prolly why they might want him to retire if there's no trade.

Bpk

PMZQ likes this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I believe there is a cap hit for a retirement Bpk, I think you do get to spread it out over two years though.

5. Bpk

You're kidding.

What if they happen to just "disappear"?

Hm?

just askin'

Bpk

p.s. why you up at this time?

6. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

It's not that hard really. If a team releases or trades a player during the offseason, the remaining portion of his signing bonus constitutes the cap hit. Say a team cuts a player who's in the 2nd year of a 4 year contract with 8 million dollars as signing bonus, the cap hit would be 6 million (the original 8 million minus 2 for the first year). After June 1st, the team only has to take the portion that would apply to the current year (2 million) and can take the remaining hit (4 million) in the following year.

In the case of Jason Taylor, you'd just have to find out how much money they guaranteed him and do the math. I know the extension he signed in 2004 was for 45 million in total money and he's sgined through 2009. I don't know exactly how much of it they guaranteed however.

Bpk likes this.
  7. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    This has always been my contention. Since they won't get a #1 or # 2 from the right teams (aka ones not on our schedule) they figure they keep him, or he retires.

The last thing the Parcells wants is JT parading around in a NE, Jets or Bills uniform, and coming into Dolphin Stadium and getting like 4 sacks and an interception against the Dolphins. The fans would be p.o'd and Wayne would be livid.

8. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Truly a freakin nightmare scenario, don't even want to picture that in my head. :no:

9. Clumpy

Clumpy Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 10, 2007
    Can see The Ralph!!
    I'll post the numbers later today :D

I've been a bit under the weather recently, so I haven't been able to reply

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  10. Bpk

Hope you feel a bit better soon, bud.

now hurry up and get to work. ;)

Bpk

Clumpy likes this.
  11. Bpk

Guess this thread can be retired, huh?

Who else's cap hit cap we talk about next?

12. Clumpy

Clumpy Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 10, 2007
    Can see The Ralph!!
    I answered this in another thread :tongue2: