1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you be willing to give up for Lawrence?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The G Man, Mar 4, 2021.

1. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    First, I believe Trevor Lawrence is the best QB in this draft class, and may be the best QB prospect to come along in a long time.

Second, pretty sure no way in hell Jacksonville is willing to trade away the #1 overall pick, and have already decided they are drafting Trevor Lawrence.

BUT...what if they would entertain offers? And, what if you were the Dolphins GM? What would you be willing to give up to move up two spots in the draft to get him?

2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I would not for a second hesitate to give them Tua, #3, #18 and the 2022 first rounder. I think that there is an enormous gulf in between who Lawrence can be and who Tua can be.

[​IMG]

resnor, tirty8 and canesz06 like this.
  3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    TBH nothing. Whatever it would take to get Lawrence would probably get you Watson or Wilson instead. And I get that Lawrence's rookie deal is a massive plus in his column, but the W's are established top 5 guys in their prime.

Puka-head and Pauly like this.
  4. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Tua, the #3 overall, the #18 overall and a first next year.

resnor likes this.
  5. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'd rather have Lawrence than either of those two, regardless.

6. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Tua, CB Howard, #3 overall and a #2 next year

7. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I know you are particular about style, but Ill take the substance - Wilson and Watson are the elite players that many think/hope Lawrence can be. I think you'd have an easier time prying those two away than in getting Lawrence anyway. There just is no logical reason or need for Jacksonville to pass for anything other than a truly astounding package that would put the Herschel Walker deal to shame.

8. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I don't think I'd want Lawrence, even if he fell to us at #3. I want to stick with Tua while using our haul of draft picks, and I'd be okay with trading for Watson. I believe Lawrence is the real deal and I'm a huge fan, but I wouldn't mortgage our future on trading up.

Also, I don't know if Lawrence is still a lock at #1....I'm hearing Zach Wilson's name a lot more lately. Finally watched his highlight tape and he had a lot of 'oh wow' throws last season from crazy angles. The kid has an absolute rocket of an arm and a "Mahommes-like" feel in the pocket.

I'd take Lawrence over Wilson but it doesn't matter what I'd do...what will Jax do? And what do the Jets do if Lawrence is there at #2? They could easily be locked on Fields or someone else.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    pumpdogs likes this.
  9. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Haven't watched film on him but have not been that impressed when I did watch him.Granted these were playoff games against LSU and Ohio State..
    I am more impressed with Zach wilson whom I did watch alot of film on.
    I think he is going to be a superstar unfortunately for the Jets.

10. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I don't put much faith in the mock draft talent evaluators.I think they hype players like Tua and Lawrence and brainwash u in thinking they are some.kinda of generational talents..

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  11. Hooligan

Hooligan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Costa Rica
    I'd give the #3 pick for Lawrence, if he fell to us, nothing more.

KeyFin and M1NDCRlME like this.
  12. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    The draw for Lawrence is that he's a complete package, super smart and almost like a Peyton Manning type leader on the field where he sees things, makes adjustments on the fly and keeps the offense moving. Very, very impressive young man off the field as well.

Against LSU and Ohio State, he didn't have much protection in either game and he was trying to extend plays...I agree that it was ugly at times while being effective. Almost reminds me of what we just saw with Mahommes though in the Super Bowl, it was one guy on the field trying to make up for the team being out-classed. That's not his normal look out there at all. I've probably watched 25+ Clemson games the past 4 years and the kid is fantastic...could be a generational talent.

Honestly, I fell in love with Zach Wilson watching his highlight reel yesterday...but I noticed that he had a great pocket and he was destroying no-name teams. His talent is undeniable but I don't think we have as complete of a picture on how that would translate. Lawrence feels like more of a sure thing to me just because he's done it for four seasons against top-tier competition.

The G Man likes this.
  13. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    It would be worth it's drama in gold IF somehow Lawrence fell to #3 overall.

KeyFin likes this.
  14. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    No drama. Adios Tua, we're moving on. Good luck somewhere else.

It would be like the Dolphins passing on drafting Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones because they just took Ted Ginn Jr. the year before.

mlb1399, KeyFin and Hooligan like this.
  15. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Until it didn't work out with him and Tua goes on to have a great career and everyone says we should could woulda. These things happen.

16. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY

Or we keep Tua and he doesn't work out and Lawrence has a hall of fame career. Those things happen, too. They've already happened to the Fins, several times.

17. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Fair enough.Like I said I didn't watch film on him.As for Wilson the competion thing is meaningless to me.
    I don't think California plays top flight competition and look at Rodgers for example.I have seen many Sec Qbs come out with big numbers and have nothing in the nfl.Bottomline I would rather have Wilson who has so much more arm talent than our own Sec Qb.

KeyFin likes this.
  18. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I didn't watch tons of film on Wilson but yeah, I agree....he's mega talented with that arm. I've only been watching college ball again for the last few years (never had time before) so I can't comment much on how much the competition plays a factor- are there some small school QB's in the NFL?

Edit, I just Googled it and was surprised-

• Carson Wentz, North Dakota State. ...
    • Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois. ...
    • Joe Flacco, Delaware. ...
    • Ryan Fitzpatrick, Harvard. ...
    • Tony Romo, Eastern Illinois. ...
    • Steve McNair, Alcorn State. ...
    • Kurt Warner, Northern Iowa. ...
    • Stan Humphries, Northeast Louisiana
    Apparently Eastern Illinois knows a thing or two about finding diamonds in the rough...

pumpdogs likes this.
  19. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Not to mention Mahomes played for texas tech not exactly a powerhouse

KeyFin likes this.
  20. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    TT is leagues ahead of all the schools Key mentioned. They aren't winning championships, but they are a big school and take athletics seriously. They just don't have the recruiting power or deep pockets of UT or Oklahoma.

KeyFin likes this.
  21. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Stan Humphries?! No way!

22. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Why didn't the Dolphins draft Tom Brady?! Morons!

23. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Why didn't they draft Drew Brees? Morons.
    Why didn't they draft Aaron Rodgers? Morons.
    There are more, but those two stick out. And those aren't just players who they COULD have drafted (a lot of teams COULD have drafted them), they're players they were PREDICTED to draft, who a lot of fans thought they SHOULD draft. But the FO thought it knew better, that they could get by with the QB they had. Morons.

24. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I get that but aren't exactly the SEC.

25. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    To be fair, I just saw a list and copied/pasted. Stan Humphries happened to be at the end. Anyone else was free to copy/paste their list without Humphries on it, LOL.