1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you like to see added to GM League 2011??

Discussion in '2010 GM League Forum' started by GridIronKing34, Jan 8, 2011.

1. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Just gathering some ideas to improve the GM League this year. Here are a couple ideas I am looking into...

Coaching search
    I am looking into allowing college coaches to an extent. They can only be offered head coaching gigs and I will only allow a total of three college coaches to leave. I will take nominations via PM and then decide who will be available from there through which coaches have been shown the most interest.

Trades
    I am considering allowing a 3-man committee to accept/decline trades. I am doing this to try to keep trades a little bit fairer. I think what will happen is there will be 3 members on the trade committee including myself and then add two alternates just in case any of the committee members execute a trade with another GM or each other.

Free Agency
    I think I will keep the aspect of free agency the same. 48 hour bidding process to keep things running as long as possible. I think I am going to be adjusting the bid limits in tiers. You can have X amount of bids in tier 1 ($5.0M+), X amount of bids in tier 2 ($3.0M-$5.0M), etc. I am not sure about this one yet, just something to look into.

Draft
    I think I will keep this aspect the same. I may adjust the salaries in the first round pick-by-pick, but I am still deciding. I am also looking into adding compensatory draft picks too. This will be given basically to those who decide to let their UFAs or RFAs hit free agency and based on how much they net in free agency. Compensatory picks cannot be traded.

I am unsure about doing the practice squad again because it just doesn't make a difference and it's too hard to get everyone to follow. What are your thoughts on co-GMs? I am thinking about nixing that because I think it causes more of a havoc than anything. I have not made a full decision on that one yet though.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Paul 13 and alen1 like this.
  2. Saint Greg

Saint Greg Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    Can we start cutting players yet?

3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Let's roll GIK, can't wait to start dissecting the Saints!

4. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Make a list. :lol:

5. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Were we supposed to pick our top 3 teams already?

Also, I like the trade committee idea a lot, although I haven't been in this league before.

6. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Don't care for the trade committee. If you're shrewd enough to pull of an uneven trade so be it. The other GM shouldn't suck so much.
    I like the idea of nixing the co-GM thing.
    One thing I would do is start this thing tomorrow......:tongue2:

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Not a fan of the trade committee.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  8. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Personally I believe the committee will prevent people trading picks they don't have. That will be the main thing they do. Unless the trade is awfully one-side, it will go through. It's really not going to kill a lot of deals.

9. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Nah, that will come in the next few weeks. No worries. :up:

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    If you don't know what you're doing, consult with someone who knows.

Boik14 likes this.
  11. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Doesn't hurt to go over everything.

12. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Then Im on board with this....sometimes I see players I like that are young and IMO up and coming, and others may disagree and nix a trade. I say as long as their is logic in a trade then it should be fine.

13. B.Sebo

B.Sebo TV Mastermind

Dec 16, 2007
    West Arkansas
    1. I think the trade committee is a good idea, but only for making sure people are not trading picks or players they do not have, not to kill trades all of complete with Sean.

2. I really do not like the limits on free agent bid pricing. There is an inherent strategy already in place and I think this would be an unnecessary complication.

3. I HATE co-gms. Both from having done it and having dealt with it. I was lucky two years ago as I had Dr. Z with me and he didn't really stand in my way and acted more as an adviser, giving his thoughts on what I was doing. There have been other good pairings as well (VO/alen comes to mind), but in a lot of cases it is just a headache with trying to complete trades.

4. I like the idea of compensatory draft picks.

The bottom line is that this league is pretty much perfect right now. I would caution change for the sake of change because the competitive balance is spot on right now.

Boik14 and Vengeful Odin like this.
  14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Me and VO worked out well (depending on who you ask I suppose?) because we're always online and we saw eye to eye on many things lol.

Vengeful Odin and B.Sebo like this.
  15. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Very fair. I am always trying to think of ways to improve it and with every bad idea I come up with... I am likely to come up with something decent. The way it's looking now is this:

Trade Committee: Likely, but under works. Mainly just for ensuring picks aren't traded.

Free agent bidding: Doubtful any changes are made.

Co-GMs: Still deciding.

Draft: Compensatory draft picks are likely.

B.Sebo likes this.
  16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm OK with the co-GMs idea and I'm OK with Sebo's idea of the committee.

17. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Comp picks is a good idea.

18. B.Sebo

B.Sebo TV Mastermind

Dec 16, 2007
    West Arkansas
    I think the trade committee should be voted on by the GMs once we see who will be here. Like place the five or six longest running GMs in a poll and let the league vote on the two that join GiK.

Just an idea.

19. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I know I'm probably not participating this year guys but a suggestion or two:

It seems the major reason to form a trade committee is to monitor traded draft picks. Perhaps a better idea would be to create a thread where one GM lists the draft picks and maintains it as much as possible. Similar to how free agent lists are tracked. The "monitor" could list the picks in round by round order as well as in team order. It's not a difficult thing to do if you plug the list into an excel spreadsheet and just update it that way. I know a few GM's who already do that :wink2: At least this way everyone can see who has what picks at all times.

I would caution giving the trade committee any more powers then that. Even if you ask the GM to explain themselves in a public thread, some GM's may not want to lay out their entire plan.

I would also suggest a worst in trades and worst in free agency "award." Where fellow GM's vote just like the "winner awards". And if you happen to win this award in back to back years, maybe the rest of the GM's can vote on whether you should be booted from the league? The system should have some kind of repercussion for GM's that are "bad." Eh, Gik will never go for this :lol:

20. B.Sebo

B.Sebo TV Mastermind

Dec 16, 2007
    West Arkansas
    Are you crazy? What would we do without Sean?

21. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    strangley, I never see him oustide of the GML... :shifty:

22. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    No to trade committees. Alternative: If you trade a pick you dont have you lose your next pick. If you dont have a next pick you lose a player equivalent of the pick you tried to poach off someone else...i.e. if you attempt to use someones second round pick you lose a player of second round value to free agency. Do a better job keeping tabs on your team.

No problem with Co GM's. If a GM is willing to take on a Co-GM that should be up to them. Gets more people involved and teaches them the league.

Comp picks are a good idea. It'll be a complicated, tedious process to award them though. If youre willing to do it then God Bless ya Mat.

Free agency: Leave it alone.

Just my two cents...:)

23. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Just FYI, The Rev has asked to Co-GM with me if we allow it. Im cool with it if everyone else is.

The Rev likes this.
  24. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    So I've been really interested in doing this for a couple years now. How does one go about getting invited to the league?

25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    No invite, my friend. Simply sign up. :)

26. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I am going to limit co-GMs.. basically only first year GMs may have co-GMs (they can co-GM with a veteran, which I recommend). It's an opportunity for them to be shown the ropes, however it is NOT required for a first year GM to have a co-GM. If a new guy wants to take reigns, by all means, go for it.

27. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I'll PM you when the team selection process begins... just a reminder. We'd love to have you join up.

28. schisno

schisno Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Free Agency is good the way it is, oh those long drawn out bidding wars are fun. Until someone blows their wad a little too early.

Comp picks, really? Is the draft not long enough and lets not forget people do forget when their turns are up. If they want extra picks, trade for them. Fact is sometimes those picks don't find their way onto the rosters because of how easy depth is to accumulate in this league.

Co-GMs, limit them like you said. Rookies who don't have the time to get fully involved should be put together with a veteran, as long as everyone knows who has the real say on the team. Co-GMs should be for anyone who doesn't have the time like I did last year and has a good buddy to work off of. Someone should be a GM, someone should be an advisor, "second voice"

We can do without practice squads, they really didn't add anything to the league last year.

If you really want, something like that have some first timers do the whole CFL, or USFL as a minor league to ours. I'm not sure how that would work yet, but that could be a part time league, GMs would have to give some kind of compensation to sign players from a minor league team.

29. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Yeah I dont get the $!#@!!@! jets this year

30. schisno

schisno Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    I'm keeping the Patriots this year.

I've been around the block. Oakland > New England > Buffalo > Miami > Kansas City > New England (Co-GM) > New England (2011)

I almost forgot I've been doing this since '05

31. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    so if a first year gm wants to take the reigns they can but they cant co gm first?

32. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    No, they can do both. However veteran GMs cannot co-GM with each other.

Boik14 likes this.
  33. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    So I'm on my own again this year and I'm a part of two GM Leagues. This is going to be an absolute blast but also a lot of work.

Thanks in advance for doing this again, Mat. I know its a lot of work on your end and its greatly appreciated.

PSG likes this.
  34. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Gotcha, wasnt clear on that. So since The Rev is a rookie GM that shouldnt be a problem.

FYI, if we're picking teams or making requests, this year I want the G-Men :)

35. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    New York homer!!!

36. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Listen homey, you just relax ya heard :)

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  37. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I would really like to try and do FA a bit different. I think the GM league goes on far to long and about half or more lose interest. Part of that problem the gap between FA and the draft. The way to fix this would be to make FA 2 weeks before the draft meaning start later. What I would do is make all the prized Free Agents 48 hours to win then the rest have 24 hour period to win. and also put a Max cap on a players. So for a QB make the max 18 Mil, RB, 15 Mil, WR, 15 mil, OT 12 Mil, ETC. What this would do is Speed the process up maybe have more interest in the league. The biggest problem is there is a lot of waiting when stuff happens and that is the problem I'd really like to see something done differently to make things go a lot smoother. Probably in the minority but the GM league needs some fresh changes.

Just my 2 cents.

38. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    I would like the Packers please or the Dolphins but being my second year I doubt I get them. But Fins 1 and Packers 2

39. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    If we're picking teams, then I'll reveal who I want at the last minute lol.

40. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    My choices are in my sig. (In no particular order.)