What's more offensive?
45 replies
A:
OR
B:
OR
C:
neither is MORE offensive....
BDH -
"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."
Jimmy V. (Mar '93)
the third one makes no ****ing sense if you look at the history of the country we committed treason against the world's biggest empire at the time to gain our own freedom.
Stupid sign is ignorant american. Ignorant american is all too commonplace.
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
The asian one I just don't understand. The other two are eh pretty equally offensive I'd say. I think people should learn to just leave others alone and stop antagonizing one another.
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
The 6th Ave Electronics one is far more offensive!!!!
BDH -
"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."
Jimmy V. (Mar '93)
I would select B. Plus I do not understand. How not become asian?
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
I would select B. Plus I do not understand. How not become asian?
Sorry, I LOL'd reading that as an "Asian" would say it!!!!
BDH -
"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."
Jimmy V. (Mar '93)
"BigDogsHunt wrote:
neither is MORE offensive....
Mark it down. On this day we agree.
"Finascious D wrote:
Mark it down. On this day we agree.
:firefox::cupid::taunt:(it says taunt, but I think you know what this means):shifty:
(right, looking through a window of Ice Cream store)...what, did you think???
BDH -
"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."
Jimmy V. (Mar '93)
asian is lowercase. is this some sort of code that converted Asians are aware of? does it have some other meaning? or is it just stupidity? stupidity isnt offensive, so long as i dont have to see it lol
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." GRRM, ADWD
A: funny
B: offensive to asians i suppose
C: ignorant
id imagine the only people offended by (A) are the ones dumb enough to believe (C)

"eric wrote:
A: funny
B: offensive to asians i suppose
C: ignorantid imagine the only people offended by (A) are the ones dumb enough to believe (C)
I don't like (A), even though I happen to agree with it.
Making a billboard to tell people their beliefs are wrong, is no different than a religion doing the same thing.
The first one makes me sad. Why take out a billboard just to intentionally attack people? Donate to a food pantry, a homeless shelter, whatever. Mixing the Epiphany imagery with antagonizism is horribly sad.
Add me to the list of folks who don't get the second one. At first I thought it could be a terrible ad for one of those places that surgically changes the eye fold. Then I saw the "ministry" and now I am confused??
The third is the one one that makes me reiterate my regular prayer, "God save me from the people on my side!" It is horrible theology and worse politics. As has been pointed out it also makes for lousy history. Reminds me of the pictures of Nazis putting up big swastika flags in German Cathedrals.
As a praticing Christian and knowing that the third one makes my calling to proclaim the Gospel even more difficult, the third one offends me most.
OHIOPHINPHAN
Witness to the first ever practice of the Miami Dolphins, 1966.
The middle one doesn't make any sense because it's photoshopped. Here's the original.

"Ohiophinphan wrote:
The third is the one one that makes me reiterate my regular prayer, "God save me from the people on my side!" It is horrible theology and worse politics. As has been pointed out it also makes for lousy history. Reminds me of the pictures of Nazis putting up big swastika flags in German Cathedrals.
As a praticing Christian and knowing that the third one makes my calling to proclaim the Gospel even more difficult, the third one offends me most.
I am curious what you estimate the actual percent of those "on your side" to be that follow the general line of thinking represented by that sign? Not that particular syllogism (if I am using that term correctly), but the type of thinking that leads to those types of rules to be applied to others?
"byroan wrote:
The middle one doesn't make any sense because it's photoshopped. Here's the original.
OOOOOOOOO Now I understand. The zealots on the gay/lesbian side seem to believe that all gay/lesbians come to that understanding the same way and none can ever "change". Zealots on the anti-gay/lesbian side seem to think it is a switch they can turn on and off. I think both sides are wrong.
The only positive side to that ad is the sense it is offering "help" only to those who wish it. It is not trying to attack those folks who are happy in their self understanding. It is a subtle difference but imo an important one.
It is still offensive, though to me falls short of the other two.
"FasanoPaisano wrote:
I am curious what you estimate the actual percent of those "on your side" to be that follow the general line of thinking represented by that sign? Not that particular syllogism (if I am using that term correctly), but the type of thinking that leads to those types of rules to be applied to others?
I am not trying to duck your question but I honestly don't know. There are a significant number of folks who have morphed Christianity into a civil religion. It goes back to colonial times here in America. If you are asking about that then unfortunately the number would be very high.
If the question is how few Americans understand their own history then the number is even higher! That would be especially true in recent years with revionists rewriting all sorts of things under the guise of fact.
But I am not entirely forlorn. I see regularly Christians who examine national issues in the light of their faith and yet come to varying conclusions who work dilligently for the common good.
OHIOPHINPHAN
Witness to the first ever practice of the Miami Dolphins, 1966.
But, But....the 3rd one makes fun of Lawyers!!!!
BDH -
"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."
Jimmy V. (Mar '93)
D. All of the Above.
Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.
"BigDogsHunt wrote:
But, But....the 3rd one makes fun of Lawyers!!!!
Not really.
My favorite part about it is that it calls out lunatic atheists with a lunatic message.
Kind of like saying, "Stop cussing you ****er!"
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"Finascious D wrote:
I don't like (A), even though I happen to agree with it.
Making a billboard to tell people their beliefs are wrong, is no different than a religion doing the same thing.
the sign isnt telling anyone that their beliefs are wrong. it says " you KNOW its a Myth." thats true. we all know its a myth.
im reminded of a quote that said, " history is a myth men agree to believe." very fitting here. religious stories are about 6,000 years old. none of us were alive back then. therefore it is in fact a Myth. many people agree to believe it. some dont. believing in it does not make it real history
i understand some people might get offended by billboard A, because of their own ignorance. but that doesnt mean the billboard itself is offensive. those people will probably see the word myth and think fairy tale. the people who made the billboard are not responsible for the lack of intelligence or education of those that view it.
they are merely trying to help others "see the light." just as the believers do. and the score is like 999,999,999,999,999 to 29, as far as bill boards go. so seeing one in favor of reason doesnt bother me at all. i appluad it.
Myth). a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, esp. one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.

Aah it finally comes. The voice of "reason" using a semantic excercise to tell all Christians we are stupid or fools or deluded. And then justifing it by saying Christians do it more often so it is all right to do it to them.
Along with the three bill boards I find that offensive.
OHIOPHINPHAN
Witness to the first ever practice of the Miami Dolphins, 1966.
History is a myth :lol:
Tell that to Holocaust victims or POW
History is written by winners but it is not a myth.
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
"eric wrote:
" history is a myth men agree to believe." very fitting here. religious stories are about 6,000 years old. none of us were alive back then. therefore it is in fact a Myth. many people agree to believe it. some dont. believing in it does not make it real history
i understand some people might get offended by billboard A, because of their own ignorance. but that doesnt mean the billboard itself is offensive. those people will probably see the word myth and think fairy tale. the people who made the billboard are not responsible for the lack of intelligence or education of those that view it.
they are merely trying to help others "see the light." just as the believers do. and the score is like 999,999,999,999,999 to 29, as far as bill boards go. so seeing one in favor of reason doesnt bother me at all. i appluad it.
Myth). a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, esp. one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.
Wow.....perhaps the most rediculous concept I have ever read on these forums. If we werent alive therefore its not HISTORY its MYTH? Ignorant, unintelligent, or uneducated those are the choices? I always wondered when a fitting time would appear to use this video and apply it to a post.....ladies and gentlemen, today is that day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpmIBJ_MKas
BDH -
"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."
Jimmy V. (Mar '93)
"anlgp wrote:
History is a myth :lol:
Tell that to Holocaust victims or POW
History is written by winners but it is not a myth.
To be fair, he may have been alive to know the Holocaust wasnt a myth...but if he wasnt born yet, his only option is that its a Myth. LOL....:sidelol::sidelol::sidelol:
BDH -
"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."
Jimmy V. (Mar '93)
wow. you guys missed the point. im literally amazed at how much, several of you didnt get it.
the quote is "history is a myth men agree to believe." that isnt the same as saying "documented history of 50 years ago didnt happen."
you cant compare something that happened 50 years ago to something that you believe happened 6,000 years ago.
its impossible. things werent the same 50 years ago and 6,000 years ago.
video footage is more credible than the bible
photographs are more creidbile than the bible
testimonials and accounts from live witnesses are more credible than the bible
its not even a comparison.
saying i dont believe in 6,000 year old religious stories isnt the same as saying the holocaust never happened. id say thats a hell of a stretch for you to make such a tremendous jump. but maybe there is no such thing as a stretch, within the confines of a small mind.
