1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's next for the Dolphins at tight end?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Good little article...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/62924/whats-next-for-dolphins-at-tight-end

article goes on to include Clay and Egnew in the mix and says that the replacement is likely on the roster here (or a combination of the three depending on the situation) and that a free agent acquisition is unlikely at this point. Two weeks from now however, I'd say it's a different story and we will add someone that has been let go in the cuts to make the 53. I'd also like to see more of Evan Rodriguez as a pass catcher in the last two games to test what he can do.

What do you think? Is the replacement on the roster or do we need to go balls out to find one? (including a trade)

2. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    I'll be surprised if they don't sign a vet in the next 2 weeks.

Clark Kent likes this.
  3. Heisenphin

Heisenphin Banned

Aug 18, 2013
    There is a plan. Yeah, science.

SICK likes this.
  4. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    All of a sudden our receiving corps doesn't look all that great.

Aquafin and jw3102 like this.
  5. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Sign heap or shockey for some vet leadership and blocking help. The young guys can handle the receiving end of things

The Rev and PhinsRock like this.
  6. vizi0n

vizi0n Boom.. Club Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Actually they still caught 5 consecutive passes following that...So I don't think the sky is falling just yet.

7. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think the easiest management on the roster right now is to make Dion Sims the starter, and getting him more involved in pass protection while freeing the backs up.

cdz12250, 305, Stitches and 2 others like this.
  8. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    One of my buddies just texted me we are talking to Philly about Brent Celek for a 5th, he didnt tell me where he heard it from so I don't know the validity of that claim

Larryfinfan, Paul 13 and Bpk like this.
  9. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    the tight ends that were drafted need to step up, and continue to develop. probably sign a veteran to add some depth to the roster. like someone said in the keller injury thread, dustin keller can still mentor and teach the young guys, i think his knowledge could really help sims, egnew, clay.

10. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Free pass Egnew might be the only one who benefits from what happened to Dustin.

11. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    There's a fair chance Egnew becomes the starter. If this were Sparano's team that preferred an inline TE I'd be saying Sims, but in Philbin's offense Egnew seems like a more appropriate replacement for Keller.

12. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

That's because you don't call yourself LBsFinest.

13. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    why am i not surprised ?

14. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That's ridiculous man. Just pathetic. The guy has worked his tail off and has most certainly earned playing time based on HIS play and HIS OWN merit thus far in preseason regardless of Keller's injury.

15. MrClean

I'd seriously question the validity. Celek is a talented productive starting 28 year old tight end on a team that uses a 2 TE offense most of the time. They're gonna let him go for a 5? Maybe if Ireland has some pix of Howie Roseman in a compromising position with a couple of transsexual prostitutes.

16. vizi0n

vizi0n Boom.. Club Member

Aug 13, 2012
    He was making this team regardless....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    What if they regret signing Casey, can't we just take over his contract if we wanted do.

18. MrClean

Are you serious, and sober right now?

19. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't disagree with you I'd be surprised if it happened. Someone else mentioned Celek in the other thread too so I don't think my friend was making up the rumor, it is probably a rumor nonetheless though.

20. dolfan40

dolfan40 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Germany
    I would love to trade for Jeremichael Finley,he has a history with Philbin and has a Contract year,i would be eager to trade Starks along a 4round pick for him!

21. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Doubt that.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Seriously sober :tongue2:

23. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Which means it's probably not valid at all...

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    This is just my OPINION but...

I wouldn't look for the Dolphins to risk getting Marty Booker'd or Lamar Gordon'd by trying to find some long term solution in AUGUST at a time when long term solutions are likely to be extraordinarily flawed.

I think they'll be a little active with the waiver wire, guys like Clay Harbor, D.J. Williams, maybe my dream will finally come true with Joseph Fauria, who knows. But it's going to be someone like that, most likely.

As for what happens at the position among the starters, call me old fashion but I think that when the #1 gets hurt the most likely guy to get the call up will be the #2. Charles Clay has always been a similar player to Dustin Keller. That's why they liked the personnel package of having both guys on the same field at the same time. They were so alike they were interchangeable and they had a bunch of options for a bunch of different looks. I sat there and watched in the preseason games how one snap they'd have Clay in the backfield at fullback with Keller on the line or unattached in the slot, and the next snap Keller is in the backfield while Clay is on the line or unattached in the slot. Or they're both unattached. Or Clay is attached but Keller is not. Or vice versa. I've seen Charles Clay man up as an attached tight end and block big defensive ends effectively. And I have also seen him do that and fail. But I've seen the exact same from Dustin Keller this preseason, and even worse at times during his career with the Jets.

The question becomes, who steps up as the #2 guy...not who steps up to be the #1 guy. The #1 guy is Charles Clay. I'll just go ahead and say that right now. But during the preseason with the way they've been rotating Egnew and Sims it's become clear that they're not quite sure which guy should be above the other in the order. Sims came out blocking strong in the first preseason game but his blocking has really fallen off since then. It's very inconsistent. Michael Egnew's blocking has improved. Meanwhile Dion Sims continues to show tight hips in the passing game. He turns like a paddle steamer and it affects how available he is as a target to the quarterback. On the other hand, getting Michael Egnew to run his routes with urgency and vigor is still an up-and-down thing. These two players are pretty neck and neck I think and you can see it on the field in the way they divvy up the snaps and the ways they use them.

25. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Nice assessment. So in closing your saying it's up to the the coaching staff to place these te's where there need to be for us to be most effective?
    Or do you expect/ think that someone will finally step up and take the next step to be that #2 guy?

26. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Would Ireland do business with a GM who deals with prostitutes? I mean he wouldnt do business with a WR whos mom was a prostitute.....

MAFishFan likes this.
  27. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Funny how a week or so ago I was hearing how deep we were at TE, we may bring in a vet like Sharkey but I'd really prefer us to develop the younger guys. For the first time since JJohnsin retired, I believe we have the coaching staff to develop some talent at TE.

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    " Sharkeys Machine"" great burt reynolds flick..with one of the most beautiful women ever..Rachel wood..

How bout that Clean..

cuchulainn and Larryfinfan like this.
  29. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I think I meant Shockey :lol:

djphinfan likes this.
  30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Psssst...its Rachael Ward

cuchulainn likes this.
  31. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    We have three TE/HBs on the roster that we drafted, if none of them are capable of starting, we are doing something wrong in the draft...

Aquafin likes this.
  32. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    omar

33. MrClean

^^ Just discovered the name? Omar acts like that is earth shattering, ground breaking moment of lucidity. We all know all about Donald Lee.

34. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Maybe he wants a holiday named after him like Christopher Columbus. When the Indians were already here.

35. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    BTW, as I posted in DJ's thread. Dustin Keller didn't open the game as our tight end (Dion Sims did). He didn't open the second series as our tight end (Michael Egnew did). In fact, the play where he got hurt, I'm pretty sure it was his first snap of the game lined up next to the right tackle (as opposed to in the slot). That's some kind of sick irony.

36. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Really, Donald Lee? I'd rather we keep Kyle Miller on the roster.

****, what is Joey Haynos doing now?

Rolly Lumbala? Jim Mandich, even?

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Keller had a catch prior to that play where his knee got massacred.

38. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'd rather stick with what we got already. Shockey sucked before he retired. you think after 2 years he'll be able to play?
    As crushed as I am with the Keller injury, how about we just see what Sims and Clay can do? I'd be okay with signing a vet, but more as a replacement for Egnew.

39. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    he was lined up in the slot though.

40. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Les Brown!

CaribPhin, FinNasty and Paul 13 like this.