1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's next in FA?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by sergiomiguel2, Mar 6, 2010.

1. sergiomiguel2

sergiomiguel2 New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    So I think we just got our #1 FA and I am very happy with the move, even if he makes no Probowls, and is just a solid LB for us I would be very happy, what we needed at LB was CONSISTENCY! and we just got it with a player that plays hared, practices hard, is a leader, and a true football player
    I love hearing about how he takes care of himself due to being injured a lot at the beginning of his career, someone that works at that and trains his body right for that is not easy to come by and shows a lot of good work ethic as well as a player that wants to PLAY THE GAME, not just make the money
    btw he is going to have a lot of positions on our team! and he will be our most versatile and smartest LB! Im so excited

What happens next you might ask???

Its as simple as this, what we do in the next week or 2 will be all leading up to how we will plan for the draft

I see us trying to find a WR, and if we pick up Bryant on the cheaper end...although it will have to beat out Burleson's deal by about 2 million a year probably...btw that was a good/bad deal...bad in terms of he aint by now means worth that much, but good because he's gone be a very solid #2 for the Lions next to Calvin Johnson! then again, who wouldn't??
    but if we do not get him I believe that is going to be the position we double up on once again in the draft
    then our focus will be on finding in this order: NT, OLB, FS, DL, OL, Another ILB
    NT is always the first need no matter what and I don't believe we are going to find much of anything in the FA market as most have been tagged or resigned....OLB is according to Sparano the 2nd most important position in 3-4 and there are some possibilities in FA
    FS become a huge need due to the release of Gibril, but the draft could provide us with some help there and although I love Atogwe you just broke a Trifecta cardinal sin...DO NOT TRADE AWAY MID TO HIGH DRAFT PICKS!!! we only traded for Thigpen cause we NEEDED Him and AKIN and Fasano came on the cheap
    Daren Sharper would bring big play ability but expose us in the run defense, he is simply a terrible run support player, and risks a lot to pad his stats, but at his age idk if we take that risk, he'll prob resign with the Saints
    Clark is a possibility, but is he the same without Polomalu? how was he last year?

then we get to DE, we will add a versatile DL either in FA or in the Draft, I can almost guarantee that! and there are some very good options out there that will not cost a bundle
    OL when are you ever fully set with your oline? a lot of scouting reports has us interested in many o-linemen in the draft and I see us taking one there

I see us picking up a DL and either a FS or WR in FA and attacking the other one in the draft

Draft:
    1st NT/OLB/S/(Dez Bryant if he slips)
    2nd ILB/S/WR/TE(Graham or Pita)
    3rd NT/OLB/WR
    the rest will be divided in what we did not get in the first 3 rounds, an OL, doubling up on WR & OLB and drafting a TE

What u guys think?

Ikema, 54Fins, cobrajet and 1 other person like this.
  2. SCPhinFan

SCPhinFan Junior Member

Jan 6, 2008
    I'm pretty excited about landing Dansby as well. I often wonder if we could dangle Ronnie out there to San Diego for someone like Floyd. I just do not see anyone else that is left being able to help us that will come at a reasonable cost. Everyone else will take too much to get or will cost too much financially.

I wonder if we go get a safety or wait until the draft where either Berry or Thomas will be there for us.

I really think Dez Bryant is going to fall hard in the draft. I was listening to Gil Brant on Sirius last night and he firmly believes Bryant will fall to the Ravens in the mid 20's.

I would love to get our receiver now. Get a stop-gap nose in Fa. Draft Earl Thomas #1 and the best 3-4 OLB availabe with our #2. (there are so many, one should fall to us in the 2nd)

3. SuperMarksBros

SuperMarksBros New Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Next on the list hopefully is Antonio Bryant. Boldin, Walter are gone. MArshall wont be a Dolphin...and lets face it, assuming Denver trades Marsh to Seattle for their 1st, that'll give the Broncos 2 picks ahead of us and no WR1. ie, forget Dez Bryant.

Hopefully we are able to trade down at 12(very possible if one of the Qbs slips) and grab Dan Williams or whichever NT the front office feels is best. WR in the 2nd round(Benn, Gilyard?), and grab a safety in there somewhere.

cobrajet likes this.
  4. dgb11112

dgb11112 Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2008
    Atlanta
    I believe we will still look at Atgowe for FS. If I remember he doesn't have a high tender at all and he IS A PLAYMAKER.

The one for FS I would love to get would be Ryan Clark. He won't cost as much and is a MUCH better TACKLER than Rolle is and is not bad against the pass. He is in Pittsburg in case you guys don't know him.

As for DT there are a number that have been realesed and we have lost out on Bannan. But there are about 4 or 5 that we could look at for low cost and an incentive laded deal. I.E Kmeouta JIMO

5. rushfinfan02

rushfinfan02 New Member

Mar 6, 2010
    D. Williams had a very bad combine and Cam Thomas had a good combine so in my beliefe I think that Cam jumped Williams on the draft board. This also helps because Cam could be had in the third, so what that means is that we can go after B. Graham in the first to have a SSOLB and Nate Allen in the second possibly so that we can get the FS that we need if we dont get one in FA. The Cam in the third and Pitta or J. Graham in the fourth. All these pickups would help out this team dramitically and with the leadership of Dansby in this team it will make Crowder a much better player this year. Also I feel that with the hire of Mike Nolan that already makes Crowder a much better player. What is Crowder good at, ATTACKING and that is what he will be asked to do in Nolans system!!

Ikema likes this.
  6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I think no question we end up with either Otagwe, Clark or Sharper.

Starting to wonder about WR though.:sad:

7. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Depends on Ireland's priorities. We have weaknesses at WR, SOLB, WOLB, FS, ILB, TE and NT. IMO we need starters at WR, SOLB, and FS, and depth at the others spots. NT is a special case, we need a starter, but no one we draft is gonna be able to play nose right away.

I think we should take the best available WR/SOLB/FS in rounds one through three, then add TE, NT, WOLB and ILB after that.

8. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami
    Right now I think they sign a safety, From what I have read Nolan likes experience at the position. Omar Kelly tweeted if Fins don't address WR or TE in the next week, Fin will in draft

9. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I would be willing to bring in a now humbled T.O.

That would allow our current WRs to grow or a chance to mold another.

10. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami

Not me. I know generally he's not a problem in his first year but he has a track record for killing Quarterbacks. And Henne is way to valuable to our future to put him through that schit.

11. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Active Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    we should get clark or atogwe right away(sharper will re-sign) then get a veteran WR like chambers, bryant or TO. then get a OL for depth/competition.

at this point brandon marshall is still available. if his cost lowers i say we make a move on him.

12. kthurmus23

kthurmus23 Canada's #1 Fin Fan

Jan 5, 2008
    Regina sask Canada
  13. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Active Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    yeah hes been saying that for a while. it dont look like the FO is ready to pull the trigger on him yet. i think they still have something up their sleeve at wr. bryant will have to lower his demands to play in miami.

14. flynryan151

flynryan151 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Call me greedy, but if we sign a FS like Atogwe, Clarke or Sharper. Then a WR like Bryant, maybe a fill in NT, a TE like Shaffer. Then the draft is open if we don't like what is on the board move back to the 18-20 range and pick up Weatherspoon.

15. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    NT is a critical need, especially if Ferguson doesn't come back and Soliaii never becomes the starter we need. Agreed, it is doubtfull if anyone we draft will start at NT but the more serious need is a NT we are confident can be the starter eventually. We can accept a possible starter as a temporary fix in FA but it doesn't address the long term need of a permanent answer for the NT position.
    Ferguson at his age has shown us the real value of a good 3-4 NT and without a reliable starter the 3-4 just doesn't work.
    There is no guaranties, but the higher you draft a NT the better the chance of getting a potential starter.
    This free agency if nothing else, should show us the value teams put into starting NT's.

16. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Hopfully A. Bryant is our next fa signing

17. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Atogwe, Clark, Jamaal Williams, Bryant, Watson, or a trade for Olsen hopefully are next.

18. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    No. Hopefully Atogwe is our next FA signing.

19. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I would be fine with that but I just want one of them

20. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I'll take both.:up:

21. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    It's hard waiting and speculating what we are going to do next,but listen guys,no matter what the decision is...Just have faith in our FO.They understand our needs as a team and will do what's possible.
    In the meantime let's enjoy the Dansby signing and see where the chips fall.

22. finsnchips

finsnchips Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    I would like to see us make plays for Atogwe, Bryant and Ben Watson.

23. xer0

xer0 xD

May 24, 2008
    Ohio
    You might get at least one of your wishes finsnchips...

Dolphins | Bryant interested in joining team
    Sat, 06 Mar 2010 08:29:29 -0800

Jeff Darlington, of the Miami Herald, reports free-agent WR Antonio Bryant (Buccaneers) is interested in signing with the Miami Dolphins, according to a source.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0hQR4tsoD

24. Ikema

Ikema New Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Central Connecticut
    I'm leaning towards Pits Ryan Clark based on Steeler defensive players seem to have strong fundementals.