1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's not to like in 2011?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Mar 27, 2011.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    one thing for sure & straight-up, lowered expectations:

1) Ross mishandled the firing of Sparano requiring him to offer the bum a two-year fix to keep the club together & moving forward after damaging our chances @ a badly needed new head coach in 2011.
    2) we're facing a curious Miami draft in 2011, we need to find major offensive pieces in a defensively oriented talent pool to rebuild an offense that can compete in the NFL. can it realistically be done?
    3) will Ireland & Sparano draft to build for the future with their jobs obviously depending on immediate results? my best guess is they will throw caution to the wind & gamble on break-through possibilities for 2011, that can secure their jobs, but seldom pan-out.
    4) where is the Franchise QB or @ least the competition @ QB that could lead to that end? w/o an interior offensive line, nor running game is it possible to establish a Franchise QB? too much to do, the incompetency is ugly/confusing. who's really in charge? where are we going ? what's the plan? none of this inspires confidence.
    5) lastly, will there be a NFL season in 2011 :no: if so, how badly will it be affected by the lock-out?

maybe we should put NATO in charge.

2. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    our current threads:

1) Henne In This Year's Draft
    maybe if we re-drafted him, he'd be a better QB this time round?
    2) Brian Hartline
    It seems that some are not sold on Hartline, and would like an upgrade. He did not do much in the first 5 weeks of last season.
    ridiculous assertion: the problem lies in getting the ball to him
    3) Reading the Tea Leaves
    now we're really reaching but are functioning @ the level that presently makes the most sense
    4) Dolphins QB Henne will compete for starting job, Sparano says
    no! really? for sure? go figure...
    5) Fins trying to organize practices, agents advising them not to
    I would really like to see a practice organized without Tony Sparano in-put
    6) fan sues NFL
    as well they should
    7) Dysfunctional : YOUR MIAMI DOLPHINS !
    need I say more?

chaos, pandemonium, incompetence

gunn34 likes this.
  3. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    not sure why we should have lesser expectations ... with any reasonable draft and FA period (whenever that happens), '11 team should be better than the '10 team - even with Henne at the helm ........

we know what type of team we'll field - philosophy hasn't changed since day 1 of this FO .... run and defense oriented, with an expectation of 'chunk yardage' ...

it doesn't matter if we take Ingram, Newton, someone who falls out of the top 10 or trade down 1 or 2 times and take Pouncey or Camiri .... we will have more talent on offense than we do right now.

4. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

And the award for most unnecessary thread in quite some time goes to.....

5. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    more colors please

6. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Sparano is a ****ing meathead; I can't even believe that THIS is what we're stuck with for the time being, and that we will now watch our team waste yet another year under this moron.

Sparano is so ****ing stupid he can't even get out of his own way, as evidenced by his recent PC.

Ireland is at least a half a ****** who has to double up on draft picks at a targeted position because he more often fails with his first pick at a position and succeeds with his second choice.

He had to draft, what, 75 Linebackers last year just to find ONE starter?

Yet, like a camp horror movie in which the characters are all stuck out by a lake in the middle of nowhere while they all die horribly, one by one, we fans find ourselves stuck with this horse**** for at least another season.

Another season wasted.

gunn34 and DolfanJake like this.
  7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Damn Nobs....lol..Are you really that down on them?....lol that was funny cause it just came out of nowhere.

8. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    DJ, I haven't changed my position one iota about these morons since last offseason. I haven't wavered one bit in my belief that we have idiots at the helm, and they're steering us right into a reef.

If you had told during that last game, with players in open revolt and completely ignoring Sparano and his Offensive staff, that we'd be heading into 2011 with that meathead still our HC I would have laughed.

I am NOT laughing now.

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I feel ya, iam still trying to figure out the dynamics in that last game..I come out of it with if Sparano can face this kind of adversity and pressure, and still show some dignity and class, a genuine care for our team, a passion to get it right, and if he does come out on top {relatively speaking}, that would mean more than the norm ..I wanna see how he deals.. I see enough qualities in him to give him another year, or at least half..lol..

NaboCane likes this.
  10. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    what if said meathead were Asian? would you still dislike him?

11. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    another gem of wisdom from FellowMember KingMotion:
    who is, as a matter of fact, an authority on the subject of the wasted post
    littering the forum daily, saturating it with wisdom & meaningful insight?
    :no:
    PawnInertia: GoFish! :dolphin:
    it is what it is: chaos, pandemonium, incompetence, nothing heroic, nothing promising
    let's get real: we are reduced to the illusion of a long-shot & wishful thinking, nothing more

Hurricane likes this.
  12. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

Wow. You just overloaded the sarcasm processor on my macbook...

You owe me :shifty:

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    just trying to keep it real Friend Hurricane.
    FellowMember KingMotion initiated the sarcasm
    all I did was put it in perspective for him :yes:

14. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    unless you believe in Divine Intervention
    no one with half a brain can feel good about the Franchise as we enter (or not) this season.
    lowered expectations is not a suggestion, it is a reality.
    think about it:​

1) Ross mishandled the firing of Sparano requiring him to offer the bum a two-year fix to keep the club together & moving forward after damaging our chances @ a badly needed new head coach in 2011.
    2) we're facing a curious Miami draft in 2011, we need to find major offensive pieces in a defensively oriented talent pool to rebuild an offense that can compete in the NFL. can it realistically be done?
    3) will Ireland & Sparano draft to build for the future with their jobs obviously depending on immediate results? my best guess is they will throw caution to the wind & gamble on break-through possibilities for 2011, that can secure their jobs, but seldom pan-out.
    4) where is the Franchise QB or @ least the competition @ QB that could lead to that end? w/o an interior offensive line, nor running game is it possible to establish a Franchise QB? too much to do, the incompetency is ugly/confusing. who's really in charge? where are we going ? what's the plan? none of this inspires confidence.
    5) lastly, will there be a NFL season in 2011 if so, how badly will it be affected by the lock-out?

maybe we should put NATO in charge.​

15. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    I think Sparano is a decent coach. I think he can and will get better with experience.

I feel the same way about Henne.

I think Ireland is pretty good at finding talent.

I think Ross did the right thing when he wanted to make sure that he had his Head Coach. I think he underestimated the sports media and never thought they'd track him all over the country. He's an excellent businessman who wants his team to win and is willing to sign the checks to get the right people to win. I also think he believes in Sparano. Making sure you have the best is not neccesarily doubting what you have.

The bad season last year was due more to the Dolphins having no offensive explosiveness. This lack was caused by a lack of chemistry between the WR's and Henne. Mostly due to their limited playing time. The biggest reason for no explosiveness was because we had a full fledged ****** running that offense from the sidelines.

Throw in the fact that we had numerous injuries, no running game, and a brutal schedule and things become a little more clear.

Yes, the Dolphins, from owner to waterboy, made some mistakes last season. However, the Dolphins last season either had a brand new/rookie or still green, owner, GM, HC, QB, WR's, DC, and no runinng game with a ******ed OC.

But alas, I blame Henne and/or Sparano entirely. <<<<<<<<< Sarcasm

16. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend MarinePhinFan:
    respectfully disagree on every point you made, however, I liked your post.
    the franchise is in big trouble for all the reasons I mentioned & more
    unfortunately, it won't be resolved in 2011
    it won't be resolved with Tony & Henne

gunn34 likes this.
  17. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    You disagree with every point?

Then you must think that:

Henning was good.

Henne is a veteran.

The WR's have played with Henne for a long while.

We had a running game.

Our DC has been with us for a long time.

Ross isn't a good businessman.

We had no injuries.

DenverDolfan, Ozzy and unluckyluciano like this.
  18. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Henning was praised when he was winning with a decent QB (pennington)

the 23rd likes this.
  19. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010

Henning was praised (Not by me, BTW) for catching the rest of the league off guard (Wildcat) and when we also had a running game. If you remember Pennington started the 2009 season 0-3, had 1 TD and 2 INT's with a 76 QBR. Then he got hurt. In 2008 Pennington managed the games great, well, great until the Dolphins played a tough team. People tend to forget that the Dolphins started the 2008 season 2-4. Then they had the cake part of the schedule:

Buffalo
    Denver
    Seattle
    Oakland
    New England- LOSS
    St Louis
    Buffalo
    Sa Fran
    KC
    Jets

Ravens- LOSS

In short, they beat the lowly, mediocre teams and got beat by the good teams- Pats, Ravens

20. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend MarinePhinFan:
    no one with half a brain can feel good about the Franchise as we enter this season.
    lowered expectations is not a suggestion, it is a reality.

and yes, I respectfully disagree with everything you said in your post with the exception of Ireland.
    having said that
    I think Ireland could be compromised by the pending urgency to fix or perish in 2011.

think about it:

5) lastly, will there be a NFL season in 2011 if so, how badly will it be affected by the lock-out?
    :deadhorse:
    any farmer's wife knows: can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear

21. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

Two things:

1) Did you do something with psychology in highschool and/or college? I love the repetition of key points and color coding. Even if I don't always agree, I always find them to be well thought and masterfully created. Well done.

2) I find myself agreeing more with Marine today, though, so let me pose a question; how do you figure we can get out of this mess? Let's say Ross dropped dead and you inherited the team. Go from there.

the 23rd likes this.
  22. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    This thread is exhausting.

MarinePhinFan likes this.
  23. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend Hurricane:

1) thank you for your kind words. however, the main reason I use color & design in posting is because it pleases me to do so. structure & clarification enter into it, but are secondary to creativity. it is what it is: some people get it, some don't.

2) off the top of my head, if I were the owner:
    A) would have negotiated a new head coach appropriately. had a plethora of possibilities @ head-coach (very capable to excellent) available since the end of the season. Tony simply is not head-coach material & that is the kindest thing I can say about him. Sparano is a parcellian experiment @ head-coaching gone bad.
    B) would live with Sparano's mistake (Henne) for another season, bringing in a veteran QB on the cheap & retaining Thigpen allowing them to compete for the start, focusing on the development of the rest of the offense.
    C) in 2011, I would fix the offensive line, acquire a franchise potential RB & TE, then a LB or NT for competition & depth (if possible/available) in the later rounds.
    D) would go after the Franchise QB in the 2012 draft. it would be the priority of the draft & I would be prepared to go up in the draft as far as necessary to secure what I needed

Friend MarinePhinFan makes a good case.

24. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend Stringer Bell: agreed...
    the only thing more boring is this off-season.
    it actually goes beyond boring or exhausting, its ugly as a bad marriage
    lock out & all :crapstrom:
    just hope the regular season ( if played ) will not be more of the same for the franchise

p.s.
    correction: the main difference between the Patriots & Dolphins is their QB & Head-Coach

25. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Unfortunately things that have been happening tend to remind people of how dysfunctional the Dolphins have been since before JJ left. I guess you could say that the Dolphins have a lot of skeletons in the closet and they seem to be piling up more and more. The way Wannstedt came in, the phony GM search and promotion of Speilman, the Saban fiasco, Marino's brief stint as Dolphin's Vice President, Cameron with his blunders, Wayne suddenly selling the team after bringing Parcells in and promising him he would retain ownership. Then Ross selling all of the part ownerships so he can hobnob with celebrities. To top it all off Parcells recommends Ryan to the Jets and brings in his friend as head coach and Ross's cross country jaunt to hire Harbaugh while Sparano sits at home thinking he's head coach. Its like a dark cloud still hangs over the Dolphins. Its hard to motivate free agents to come to Miami when you have this much dysfunction.

NaboCane likes this.
  26. frags

frags New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Boston, MA...
    Points for that comment; love it. I concur all around, we shall see what Sparano cooks up with, imo, his job on the line.

27. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Are we talking about the FO that took the 1-15 Dolphins to a division title the following year? I’ve seen the flag. It happened.

There will most likely be a veteran and drafted QB added. Personally, I like McNabb or Leinart as the vet and Stanzi, Ponder or McElroy as the draft pick.

Long, Carey and Incognito sounds like a pretty good start to an OL and Jerry is a massive kid with pretty good feet. I read somewhere he needs to learn to be more erect. What ever that means? I don’t see the OL as a complete rebuild but, could be the focus of the 1st round pick though.

Fasano is an excellent blocker and not an inept a pass catcher. Are any of the draft picks better than Mastrud, Epps and Shuler? I certainly don’t know.

At WR, Marshall, Bess and Hartline are the best group we’ve seen in a long time. Which of the draft options are better today than Pruitt, Moore and Wallace?

With Coach Nolan, the D was improved exponentially and there is no reason to believe the kids won’t get better. The DL is about as stout as it gets. Bell and Allen will lead a young DB group that is very fast and physical. Probably could use another pass rusher to spell Misi and a banger ILB. I expect Spitler and Edds to eat up most of Crowder’s minutes.

I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I like what this team is becoming.

28. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    A lot of people seem to have forgotten that the team quit on Sparano at the end of last season. Their performance was so bad and uninspired they didn't even belong on the field with New England's backups. This is a little on the scary side moving forward.

NaboCane likes this.
  29. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    While an extended lockout would likely wreak havoc with teams faced with installing entirely new offensive programs, particularly on the fly, I'm not about to put much stock in anyone's doomsday evaluation, or grand illusion for that matter, if its based largely on perspective gleaned from last years productivity, under Henning's main bearing meltdown. This, particularly if they take that belief, and conclude with pure speculation how those offensive players will respond under Dabolls program.

The only thing I AM entirely convinced of, is that this year NOBODY knows what will transpire in 2011, and a bit of a reach to be overly convinced about anything beyond the mere likelihood a deal will get reached.
    I am however, always willing to read more prophetic doomsday theory for 2012.:yes:

30. Abbi Normal

Abbi Normal Banned

Mar 5, 2010

Move over and give me a seat on your boat.............

This period of time reminds me and is worse IMO, then the years of Wannstedt and the overwhelming need for O linemen that repeatedly got ignored year after year and we were forced to observe that clueless look on his face.........Cameron and his, we got the Ginn family.........Satin and his professional inadequacies and then there was the Pat White in the 2 rd brain fart....all I can say is " WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING ?????

Sparano among other posters are lacking the ability to evaluate in a timely manner and Sparano will also be developing that stupid clueless look more and more. How many years does it take and how many inaccurate, overthrown and intercepted and bumbled balls does one need to see to hold on to the evaluation that our QB is terrible...(and thats when the o-line gives him plenty of time)
    I think Henne best friend is time because the more time goes on the more people forget and the better people think he gets.....If he's is actually Still considered as legit competition for 1st. string QB ...well theirs another sign of cluelessness...

How many times do we need to see our o line being constantly replace especially considering it was our prime focus from the start, oh not to mention the specialty of our HC is supposedly the O line. And now he's learned (3 years into it) that maybe he needs to have more consistency through the year....Hopefully with out second tier injury prone old guys....

This organization has been going into the toliet for the last ten years with occasional glimpses of "hope". And now with the continued boneheadedness on even a greater scale which some of us see and are even more greatly bummed refuse to sit back with our thumbs up our tushes and read positive crap into this chaos.......

Call me negative but if you don't even recognize a problem you can't fix it ...and thats just Dumb.......

Now nobody really knows what going to play out thats why they play the game, but from all the ridiculous moves and non moves IMO we will need a few miracles to be better than mediocre.................I hope I'm wrong

NaboCane and the 23rd like this.
  31. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend Califin:
    1) agree, an extended lockout would favor established teams working against dolphin interest
    2) nowhere in the thread is there a prediction, I simply laid out the facts & leave you to make the decisions
    3) my opinion is not a prediction: it simply is what it is: the dolphins are steeped in chaos, pandemonium & incompetence. we are reduced to the illusion of a long-shot & wishful thinking for a successful run in 2011

no one can predict tomorrow,
    but that doesn't mean that yesterday's not an indicator
    of what it will look like in 2011​

32. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend muscle979: excellent point!
    this is the ultimate statement
    on his ability to lead in the NFL:
    the team failed him as head-coach with an "F"
    this guy is a parcellian experiment @ head coach gone bad.

33. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend smahtaz:
    1) better to thank Pennington & Henning for the division title
    2) we are in serious trouble on the offensive line. we are missing an entire interior line. we need to make the investment.
    3) agreed:
    vet.QB (on the cheap to create competition), TE, Nolan are very good & will only improve & D, the Wr corp is fixed
    4) need an all-purpose franchise RB immediately