1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

----- What's our chances of winning 10 games?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Mile High Fin, Nov 24, 2008.

What's the odds of Miami winning 4 more games?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2008.
  1. 80% likely

27.7%
  2. 60% likely

32.3%
  3. 40% likely

24.6%
  4. 20% likely

15.4%
  1. Mile High Fin

Mile High Fin New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    Can we win 4 more games this year, and get to 10-6, and playoff spot?
    Either way, I'm pumped about the direction of the team/front office.

@ StL
    @ Buf (Toronto)
    vs. San Fran
    @ KC
    @ NYJ

Granted, 4/5 are AWAY, but I think all 5 are "winnable" games.

2. FiN.in.RI

FiN.in.RI Paul pierced through..

Dec 3, 2007
    the Heart
    I'm gonna go with 8-8.. I think we'll win two more. SF and KC.

azfinfanmang and alen1 like this.
  3. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I voted 40%.

With G. Cam out and Long hurt (even if he does play he'll be hurt) it doesn't look any better for us than it did.

Can we do it? Yeah, sure. Will we? mmm, I don't know.

Buffalo can play if they want to. That atogwe guy for the rams is amazing. Flowers doesn't look so bad for KC. Frank Gore is all I need to say about SF (Singletary would be my next statement).

And the jets? Unfortunately there's a lot I could say about them that I won't ;)

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Another 4 game winning streak would be sweet

5. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I can see three with KC, Rams and 49ers. The Bills game is possible, The Jet game could go either way, they could be fighting for the division and the 2 seed, or they could have both clinched by than, so who knows?

I will say 3 with a good shot at 4

6. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I think we have a good chance to win 4 games. The Jets game if they play everyone, I think will be very tough to win the way they are playing now.:wink2:

7. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    im just taking one week at a time.

8. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Where is the choice for 0%?
    If we go 9-7 I will think we wildly overachieved this season.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  9. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    betting man says 8-8

I still have hope though for 10-6

Unfortunately we need to 11-5 to make the playoffs

Who would have thought we would be playing for something in December

10. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    the wildcard here is week 17. if the jets are 12-3 by then, i dont see them keeping the starters in if they have their seed locked up

11. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    houston and ravens game looming awful large now. we blew it big time in those games. you win those type of games so you can afford to drop the ones like the pats games

12. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I'd rather win a division game than a conference game.

13. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    you missed the point bro. the prior two games were more winnable games. games that you actually expect to win. you dont expect to sweep the pats, but if you do, its all good. you expect to beat the texans and a ravens team with a rookie qb

14. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    That choice isn't there because that would mean it's impossible. It obviously is not. The next four games are very winnable. Just like the ones from the last winning streak. Somehow they pulled that off yet now they have no chance? I fail to see the logic in that.

15. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I don't see how we can't win the next 4. We get beat by elite run defenders (Balt-4th and Jets 3rd in the NFL in defending the run) and teams with elite receivers (Hou-A.Johnson, Ari-Boldin/Fitzgerald, NE-R.Moss).

Do the Bills, Chiefs, 49ers and Rams have any of those? Against the run they are ranked respectively in the NFL 20, 31, 14 and 30. Their top receivers are Lee Evans, Dwayne Bowe and old Issac Bruce and Torry Holt. None right now I would consider elite.

The Dolphins are ranked 15th in the NFL in rushing, 8th in passing, and 9th in run defense. I don't know even as Fin fans why some are so pessimistic.

Mile High Fin likes this.
  16. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    With 4 of 5 games on the road, and losing one of our most consistent WRs, I think that 4 games would be a pretty difficult task. I handicap our odds at 40%; KC, San Francisco, St. Louis, and Buffalo are all "winnable" games. The Jets game is going to be extremely difficult, unless they are resting their starters. I just don't see us taking all the "winnable" games. Kansas City is at home in Arrowhead in December, San Francisco has been playing much better as of late, St. Louis will be starting a QB that we discarded, and Buffalo will be playing for their lives when we meet again. Factor in that we have not blown out teams that we should (i.e. Seattle, Oakland), and I think it's safe to bet we'll drop one of those games.

17. Ludacris

Jan 8, 2008
    Yes but we have also gone into Denver in high altitude and beat the snot out of them. Miami is built to play December football now. I will be extremely disappointed if we didn't see the planned power running game everyone was raving about in pre-season. None of the next 4 teams are good against the run. Pennington is efficient and our defense is one of the top teams against the run.

18. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I put 20% when in actuality I think it is more like 40%.

Football's bounce a funny way when dropped and it could go to 10 games, I just think we have already seen some of those funny bounces go our way this season.

That being said, I am estatic to what this team has already accomplished, and proud as I hear about it pretty much everyday.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  19. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Oh ye of little faith......
    We will win out.
    This was a bitter loss for the team. I watched the interviews and everyone was p******d. I believe we play above our heads and out of our minds from here on out.
    We're actually going to be fighting for a playoff spot when we line up against the Jets.

mullingan likes this.
  20. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I think the odds are pretty good we finish 10-6. But it doesn't matter cuz that won't get this team a playoff spot.
    They needed a win Sunday and the defense choked.

21. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I think we can go 10-6. But I also think we will miss the playoffs if that happens.

The Colts are a lock for the 5th seed IMO. They're schedule is too easy and they're on fire.

That leaves the Ravens, Pats, and Bills fighting with us for the last spot. Which means that looming Bills game will be HUGE. Fact is, if the Pats beat the Bills and we lose one of our last 2 division games, we are in big trouble.

22. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    No, you're incorrect. The question is our OPINION of their chance to go 10-6, not the statistical probability of it. IMHO, the chance is 0%.

FiN.in.RI likes this.
  23. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Nice comeback Rick,

I'll be waiting for some kind of comeback :jt0323:

late again likes this.
  24. Ludacris

Jan 8, 2008
    The way I see it - they make their own luck. They need to keep their heads in the game with tough, smart, disciplined football. They can't go out there losing their heads again or they'll lose. They must stay within themselves.

I would be thrilled if they go 10-6 but if they miss the playoffs it'll still leave a bitter taste. They must also beat both the Bills and Jets now.

25. FiN.in.RI

FiN.in.RI Paul pierced through..

Dec 3, 2007
    the Heart
    You guys realize how much yesterday took out of the players on that team? My theory to why the team (the defense) fell apart emotionally in the fourth quarter was because they were drained bone dry physically. The end result: physically and emtionally drained. The winner in a game like that comes out with confidence and swagger, the loser comes out drained and defeated.

Classic case of sapping every last bit of energy out of the loser in a dog fight like that. I do know that a veteran team who has somewhat of a pedigree of winning can get over a loss like that pretty quick. Not there yet IMO although the STL game will speak volumes.. I don't care what STL's record is. If Miam can whip these guys, on the road, after the war that went on yesterday, I will be damn impressed.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  26. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Don't know how you can say that. The Colts have been eking out wins much the same way we have.

27. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    but they're winning, much like we were doing before yesterday.

28. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Yeah I know, but take heart. They've still got to play Jax as well as the Titans one more time.
    Kind of like our two toughest remaining games are against division rivals
    ..it ain't over yet, brother.:up:

mullingan likes this.
  29. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think 9-7 is very reachable....to win ten we would likely have to beat either the Bills or the Jets....I think we can win 4 out of the last 5 and go 10-6.

30. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    I think we are 10-5 going into the Jets game.

mullingan and late again like this.
  31. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Follow the pattern:

Week 1 : Loss

Week 2: Loss

Week 3: Win

Week 4: Bye

Week 5: Win

Week 6: Loss

Week 7: Loss

Week 8: Win

Week 9: Win

Week 10: Win

Week 11: Win

Week 12: Loss

Now, if the pattern holds, we'll lose this week and either win two in a row or four in a row after that, but take note that our losses have come in pairs. Coincidence, maybe, but definately interesting. So, while ten wins is possible, I find it highly unlikely.

32. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I went 60%. I think there are three games we SHOULD win. If the team comes in focused. Then out of the Bills and Jets I think we win one, probably against Buffalo.

33. Mile High Fin

Mile High Fin New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    I think we whip StL this week, in a kind of take-out-our-frustration kind of game.

If we go 10-6, I believe that could get us in the playoffs, contrary to others here.

Indy is almost a lock, with an easy schedule remaining:
    @Cle, Cin, Det, @Jac, Ten
    Good chance they go 4-1 (11-5), but even if they only go 3-2, they'll be 10-6; and conference record is better than ours so far (6-2 vs. 5-4 so far).

Baltimore has a BRUTAL schedule remaining:
    Cin, Was, Pit, Dal, Jac
    If they go 2-3, they will end up 9-7.

New England has these games left:
    Pit, @Sea, @Oak, Ari, @Buf
    If they go 3-2, they will be 10-6, then we'd go to tie-breakers:
    split head-to-head; division record; then common games

GridIronKing34 and mullingan like this.
  34. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I voted 40 but as much as i think about it i really cant put a percentage on it. I mean we'll have to see after this week, if we bounce back than there is a very good chance. If not then i have no idea. Its gunna be a tougher strech than most people think. But ik we're capable of pulling through.

35. Ludacris

Jan 8, 2008
    This is where we might not make the playoffs. If NE beats Buff their division record will be 4-2. MIA is currently at 2-2. MIA MUST beat Bills AND Jets to tie on division record and only then MIA MAY have a chance based on common games.

36. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    9-7, but 8-8 wouldn't surprise me. 10-6 would. The Jets game is the loss that I'm sold on, although it is winnable. I also think we lose @ KC and / or @ STL. I don't know why. Regardless of our finish, I'll be happy with our season.

37. aesop

aesop Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    NYC
    I don't doubt for a second that the Jets will play all their starters even if they have clinched. Anyone watch the Rams game? They had it locked up in the 2nd quarter and still kept everyone in and kept throwing the ball deep as well. Stupid, yes. Out of the realm of the stupidity of the Jets? No.

38. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    The Jets very well may play thier starters all game in the final week. I also think that its entirely possible Brett sits some, maybe most our game against them. The last thing they need is something stupid to happed during thier slim window of opportunity with Brett.

39. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    hey man, believe me. I'm confident in this team and think we can make the playoffs...but it ain't gonna be easy.

late again likes this.
  40. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    The Jets will play their starters the final week, especially if Miami is still in the wild card race and Tennessee & Pittsburgh are ahead. Because losing to Miami would only force the Jets to face Miami again the following week in the wild card. Even if their spot is secure for a bye or something like that, I'm sure they'd like to keep as many divisional teams out of the playoffs as possible. Any team would.

With a secured spot that can't improve, they'd sit their starters against a team out of playoff contention. Not against a Miami team still alive; same thing would be stated about New England or Buffalo.