What's so bad about Carl Peterson??

17 replies

DolfanTomDolfanTomNew MemberOP
Nov 11, 2010, 10:05 AM

Look, let me state this first - I DON'T want this to happen. I want us to go 10-6/11-5 this year, possibly make the playoffs, and grow w/ the current regime. I really like Sparano, and I think Ireland has made enough good moves so far, and if he learns from the bad ones (he's still very young remember), he could be a very good GM for quite some time! But ...

I'm serious here, I really don't know all that much about Carl Peterson. But if things go down hill from here, and Ross is hell bent on him coming, I'd like to know - what is so bad about him exactly?

I do know he was w/ KC for a long time. And while things went sour over his last few years there, didn't he also lead the team to a lot of successful years in the '90s and early '00s? Seems to me, he should get credit for that too, eh?

Seriously, for those of you who know, fill me in. God forbid he is named VP of Football Operations or whatever, what does that mean for us? Again, let me be clear - I want the current regime to succeed very badly .... but I'd like to know what's in store for us if they don't.

Please join us for the #BillsMafiaTakeover, 9/14 in Buffalo!!!! https://www.facebook.com/events/433589416780504/

Follow me @Hotstover

dukane5dukane5New Member
Nov 11, 2010, 10:10 AM

"DolfanTom wrote:

I do know he was w/ KC for a long time. And while things went sour over his last few years there, didn't he also lead the team to a lot of successful years in the '90s and early '00s? Seems to me, he should get credit for that too, eh?

and Miami has had a lot of 'successful years' ...forget successful, I want championship and Peterson did not deliver. I am not stating Ireland will, but if a change is coming lets go get Pioli or someone who can bring a Championship.

schmoliootschmoliootSupporter
Nov 11, 2010, 10:11 AM

There is nothing "wrong" with him. It's just that he wasn't that successful in his last few years and made a bad coaching hire.

Carl Petersen's last few years in KC weren't all that different from what Parcells did here. Both made questionable coaching hires and whiffed on a bunch of draft picks.

Carl Petersen also built teams that went 13-3 multiple times in the 90's and had homefield adavantage. Something the 'Fins have not accomplished in quite some time.

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Nov 11, 2010, 10:46 AM

Nothing wrong with Carl from my perspective. See if anyone can find KC on the NFL map before he got there. They were absolutely nowhere... hadn't been to the playoffs in many many years... he turned them into perennial contenders for the AFC West crown. Helped build one of the best offensive lines in the league, brought in Joe Montana and Marcus Allen at the back end of their careers to try to win a ring.

From a drafting perspective... looking back at their drafts from 1989 to 2008... focusing mainly on the first round picks... he wasn't where you'd want him to be on his success ratio however. Certainly some poor picks at the running back position in that first round:

1991 Harvey Williams
1994 Greg Hill (they also drafted Donnell Bennett in the 2nd round that year)
2003 Larry Johnson

Certainly got better mileage out of Marcus Allen, Barry Word, Christian Okoye... although LJ was solid briefly... Seems to me he had better success from a free agent / late round draft standpoint.. Priest Holmes anyone?

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

schmoliootschmoliootSupporter
Nov 11, 2010, 10:54 AM

All this Petersen talk also overlooks that Carl probably would not be the general manager. He would be in the Parcells role, hiring a GM and coach and then letting them do their jobs.

Ireland might actually be safe in that scenario as Ireland's first job was under Petersen n the late 90's. Sparano, not so much.

DolfanTomDolfanTomNew Member
Nov 11, 2010, 11:00 AM

Thanks guys!

I guess what I'm hearing is it wouldn't be THAT bad. I just read some comments here like he's the anti-Christ or something.

Again, I hope the situation isn't that he has to come, but if he does, I guess I'd welcome it.

Here's a question: Say we go 10-6/11-5, make the playoffs and even win a game .... does Ross hire Peterson anyways? I mean, that position is technically open, or will be soon. And if Ireland sticks around (again, some nice finds by the guy, and hopefully he can learn from his big mistakes too), why would Sparano necessarily be history?

I really like Tony as our coach, and hope he stays another decade ... but maybe that's just me?

Please join us for the #BillsMafiaTakeover, 9/14 in Buffalo!!!! https://www.facebook.com/events/433589416780504/

Follow me @Hotstover

schmoliootschmoliootSupporter
Nov 11, 2010, 11:04 AM

"DolfanTom wrote:

Thanks guys!

I guess what I'm hearing is it wouldn't be THAT bad. I just read some comments here like he's the anti-Christ or something.

Again, I hope the situation isn't that he has to come, but if he does, I guess I'd welcome it.

Here's a question: Say we go 10-6/11-5, make the playoffs and even win a game .... does Ross hire Peterson anyways? I mean, that position is technically open, or will be soon. And if Ireland sticks around (again, some nice finds by the guy, and hopefully he can learn from his big mistakes too), why would Sparano necessarily be history?

I really like Tony as our coach, and hope he stays another decade ... but maybe that's just me?

Apparently, when Parcells left Ireland's contract was amended giving him Parcell's powers (ie, there is no one between Ireland and Ross, Ireland is completely in charge of fotoball decisions and answers to no one except the owner).

If Ross wants to hire someone new, Ireland's contract either needs to be amended or he will be fired.

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Nov 11, 2010, 11:13 AM

"DolfanTom wrote:

Thanks guys!

I guess what I'm hearing is it wouldn't be THAT bad. I just read some comments here like he's the anti-Christ or something.

Again, I hope the situation isn't that he has to come, but if he does, I guess I'd welcome it.

Here's a question: Say we go 10-6/11-5, make the playoffs and even win a game .... does Ross hire Peterson anyways? I mean, that position is technically open, or will be soon. And if Ireland sticks around (again, some nice finds by the guy, and hopefully he can learn from his big mistakes too), why would Sparano necessarily be history?

I really like Tony as our coach, and hope he stays another decade ... but maybe that's just me?

I do too... you don't go from 1 and 15 to 11 and 5 in one season and not be a good coach. I just think the decisions he has made this week lead me to believe he is being pressured from a higher power and that's not a good thing.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

PhinGeneralPhinGeneralSupporter
Nov 11, 2010, 12:47 PM

Most people just remember the later years, which to be fair have to be taken into consideration. But Peterson should also be given credit for building a team that won 2 Championships in the USFL and appeared in a third.

GOgodolphinsNew Member
Nov 11, 2010, 12:56 PM

In 20 years with the Chiefs he's team never went to the superbowl not even once and he only went to the playoffs six times. That is pathetic for a gm and also all the fans hated him for raising prices.

maynardmaynardNew Member
Nov 11, 2010, 01:05 PM

he is the anti christ around here it seems

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." GRRM, ADWD

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Nov 11, 2010, 01:05 PM

"godolphins wrote:

In 20 years with the Chiefs he's team never went to the superbowl not even once and he only went to the playoffs six times. That is pathetic for a gm and also all the fans hated him for raising prices.

in the 18 seasons before Peterson, I can count the number of PLAYOFF APPEARANCES for the Chiefs on ONE FINGER. in his first 10 seasons, they went to the playoffs SEVEN times. How many times did Marino make the SuperBowl again? SuperBowl appearances are not the measure you are looking for... it's playoff appearances. Oh and I'm sure the fans hated him for raising prices.. I also believe they still went to the games as the Chiefs attendance record was extremely good in his tenure. I doubt they failed to sell out more than a couple of times.

I'm not starting a petition that he should be in Miami... I just don't see the hatred that some of you seem to have for the guy... don't get it...

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

CrunchTimeCrunchTimeRetired Admin
Nov 11, 2010, 03:02 PM

Question :What would be so bad about hiring Don Shula as HC today ?

Answer:He was great for his era but the game has passed him by.He has moved on to other endeavors and so has Carl Peterson.

ClipseClipseNew Member
Nov 11, 2010, 03:09 PM

Carl Petersons last decade was terrible. Our team couldn't go into the ****ter quick enough with him as GM.

SOSouthbeachNew Member
Nov 11, 2010, 03:18 PM

"Paul 13 wrote:

Nothing wrong with Carl from my perspective. See if anyone can find KC on the NFL map before he got there. They were absolutely nowhere... hadn't been to the playoffs in many many years... he turned them into perennial contenders for the AFC West crown. Helped build one of the best offensive lines in the league, brought in Joe Montana and Marcus Allen at the back end of their careers to try to win a ring.

From a drafting perspective... looking back at their drafts from 1989 to 2008... focusing mainly on the first round picks... he wasn't where you'd want him to be on his success ratio however. Certainly some poor picks at the running back position in that first round:

1991 Harvey Williams
1994 Greg Hill (they also drafted Donnell Bennett in the 2nd round that year)
2003 Larry Johnson

Certainly got better mileage out of Marcus Allen, Barry Word, Christian Okoye... although LJ was solid briefly... Seems to me he had better success from a free agent / late round draft standpoint.. Priest Holmes anyone?

Chiefs won a Super Bowl in 1970. Sound familiar?

SOSouthbeachNew Member
Nov 11, 2010, 03:22 PM

"PhinGeneral wrote:

Most people just remember the later years, which to be fair have to be taken into consideration. But Peterson should also be given credit for building a team that won 2 Championships in the USFL and appeared in a third.

Yeah, if we all want a USFL title, he is the first person to call.

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Nov 11, 2010, 03:27 PM

"CrunchTime wrote:

Question :What would be so bad about hiring Don Shula as HC today ?

Answer:He was great for his era but the game has passed him by.He has moved on to other endeavors and so has Carl Peterson.

not sure that the game has passed him by, he's been out of the league for 2 years... not as long as Shula has. Peterson didn't get it done at the end of his tenure, just like Shula... hard to go out on top in this league.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Nov 11, 2010, 03:28 PM

"Southbeach wrote:

Chiefs won a Super Bowl in 1970. Sound familiar?

look familiar?

http://forums.thephins.com/showpost.php?p=1327189&postcount=12

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread