1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best way to attack a Revis defense.?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Aug 5, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    First of all I'll just admit again, that I think he's the best I've ever seen, so I feel strongly that he will shut down whoever he lines up against and more, my question is when you have that type of presence, what's the best way to attack a defense that benefits from all the space he takes up.?

Should we bust out the read option on these cats 10 times or what?

Should we make Wallace run go routes all game just to get him out of the picture?

2. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

If Tannehill keeps slightly overthrowing Wallace, I say take a few shots right at his ***.

Aside from Revis though, the Patriots seem to be having some safety issues, at least that's what a few write-ups and some of their fans are saying. I think the intermediate stuff will be there for the taking.

Also, the Patsies were 30th against the run last year...if we can at least get some semblance of openings, we should be able to set a lot of stuff up that way. Wouldn't be surprised at ALL to see Lazor scheme this one very reliably in week 1...Bellicheat's VHS machine won't be spinning with this offense.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  3. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i think if you have a speed guy like wallace, he will eventually be beaten by the double move / stop and go route , randy moss did it and of course our famous Ted Ginn did it to him, i also would try him out in the run game, let him stick his head in there too, lets see if his psyche is all the way back, since this is the stadium where he got hurt

and then there is the new offense with no real film on it in week 1

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  4. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Tannehill playing well or badly behind a line that plays well or badly will have far more to do with our fate than Revis. I wouldn't worry about hypotheticals with Revis.

5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I disagree, I think you have to have a specific game-plan, there's got to be a way that has a Proven most effective way to attack when you have a dominant corner on the field.

6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I bring this up because I'm sure the coaches are already plotting..

7. Bpk

If Tannehill and the Oline play well, Revis won't be enough for us to lose. If they don't, it's irrelevant.

Though I agree, it's a lot of fun to think about what strategies coaches might use against an opponent's star player.

I guess I'd run right at him and put my helmet into his sternum. Take the flag, and Revis' heart.

RevRick and PhinFan1968 like this.
  8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Resign Ted Ginn and wear the Orange jerseys.

That was as bad as I've ever seen Revis beat.

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Combo routes

10. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I don't think Wallace runs routes well enough to beat Revis. but that's why we have other good WRs in Hartline, Landry and Mathews along with Clay at TE. The short and intermediate stuff is our best shot to beat them. Then Vernon and Wake need to stomp Brady into the ground to limit them to < 20 points.

and I have to argue with DJ, Revis is not the best. For a pure cover corner, Deion was MUCH better than Revis, not even close IMO. If you consider taking on the run, then the gap starts to close.

xphinfanx and RevRick like this.
  11. DPlus47

DPlus47 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 14, 2008
    That's a great memory. For at least one day, Ginn was kicked back on Revis Island in a beach chair drinking something with a tiny umbrella in it, just relaxing.

I never thought Revis made much of a difference against the Phins. I guess there was the game where he mugged Brandon Marshall (it looked like he was trying to pull off his jersey, IIRC) and got a pick 6 against Matt Moore, but I may have blocked that out, and that Dolphins team may or may not have sucked, anyway.

I think he's a great corner, but Miami hasn't had a single dominant receiver for anyone to take away for a long time. Revis can't take away the #1 option on every play, because that option is always changing.

Bpk likes this.
  12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    CBs are generally pretty easy to nullify by just throwing to other areas. A pick 6 or just INTs can be game changers but a smart QB will just avoid them. That's why they're not really impact players, IMO.

Bpk likes this.
  13. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Greatest Dolphins game i have seen in person :D

[video=youtube;9dRz9WCgXRU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dRz9WCgXRU[/video]

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    They may be easy to nullify by not going their direction but that doesn't take away what the other guys can do because of his presence and talent and how it allows for them To cover less space.

He's the best by far imo in the game..it changes the way you play defense, which changes the way you must approach offense.

15. Canad-phin

Canad-phin Active Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Honestly, take him deep and run drag routes, make him run all god damn day. One thing you can do to Revis is beat him over the top. First play from scrimmage would be a double move by Wallace and Tannehill chucking it as far he can, I would test how good that knee really is and if he's lost a step.

16. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Especially now that the NFL wants to make every defense/secondary play and look like the Dallas Cowboys.

Colmax and rafael like this.
  17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    it's one thing to be as great as he is, but whatever great that is will not make him run faster, I agree in your approach, take multiple shots early against Revis, somehow get Wallace to get free releases and let him fly.

18. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    You can still stretch the field either horizontally or vertically so the space the others have to cover isn't effected much. A CB, no matter how good he is, can only nullify one guy at best so his impact is limited.

19. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The rules have kind of neutered the position and now that you have up to five potential receivers so much of the time a CB nullifying one guy is really minimally impacting.

20. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Michael Crabtree might disagree with you.

Although, I certainly get your point, CBs (great ones) still pull in some pretty stout salaries. Teams pay players who make big impacts, and CBs can certainly change the face of a game at one fell swoop.

21. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    With Browner not playing in the first month, and with the Pats talking about keeping each corner on one side and not having Revis mirror anyone, I think that it will be easier to avoid him than it would have been otherwise. If Revis shuts down his man completely, then there should still be options on the other side, in the slot and to Clay.

Colmax likes this.
  22. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Remember that game like it was yesterday. Beautiful throw by Henne and he had all the time in the world.

23. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA

Had to go stick a dose of reality into the fantasy of Wallace beating Revis, didncha?

If we had the line for it, and the backs for it... a few Green Bay Sweeps (or their modern ilk) might keep him a little ticklish. Matter of fact, any kind of running game might hold both the D line and the D back for that split second of indecision that it would take for the advantage to be Aqua and Orange!

EDIT:
    My first choice would be illegal... a flight of warthogs with hellfires. What would be the yardage penalty for that?

Bpk likes this.
  24. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Well...I think we will see us run our normal offense..fast paced ..try build a running game...lots of motion..make it hard for Revis to just pick one route to key on. In all honesty..not worried about Pats defense...its stopping Brady.

25. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    If Wilfork and Mayo bounce back from their injuries this will probably be the best defense the Pats have had in a decade. That's three all-pro type of players, one at each level. They made the AFC Champ game with a sorta second string defense last year. Apparently Revis is in top form...Pats are already trying to give him an extension. Leaving Revis by himself lets them use an extra body in the middle of the field where they're most vulnerable at the moment.

We're going to have to keep at the run game, whether it's working or not imo. Can't make yourself one-dimensional. Clay should be able to do some work underneath and down the seam because he's such a matchup problem for the Pats safeties. I'd get Wallace involved on screens. Get the ball to him before Revis has a chance to use his physicality, and force the Pats to tackle him well on the perimeter. You can beat a great defense if you can squeeze out a few big plays. The two games with them could really be defensive struggles.

Bpk likes this.
  26. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Here's how you attack a Revis defense:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need a better throw though :pity:

DPlus47 likes this.
  27. mcdave21

mcdave21 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Yikes! Talking about a poor throw. Smh

28. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Make him tackle Daniel Thomas

GMJohnson likes this.
  29. Bpk

So Revis can just set up 3yards from the LOS and wait.

30. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Sure the player being nullified feels the impact, but SF could have easily avoided Sherman by throwing it elsewhere. And yes, that's my point about the salary. CBs are still paid like an impact position even though they're easy to avoid in the game plan. You shouldn't be able to do with a true impact position. QB, pass rusher, WR/TE, S are positions that you can only negate or try to negate with multiple players. Even the WR/TE is not usually negated by one CB. Despite the media tag of Revis Island, he often receives help over the top against the faster WRs. That's why the great ones at those positions are worth the premium salary. But a position that can be negated by one player isn't impacting the game as much. Paying a big salary to a lower impact position hurts your ability to build the rest of the team.

31. Bpk

The most effective way to nullify Revis is the amazing wombo combo.

[video=youtube;fE4_wUbjaIc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE4_wUbjaIc[/video]