1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the deal here?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Ricky Williams, Nov 8, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Ricky Williams

Ricky Williams New Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Why is it the coaches are so afraid to play Cameron Wake?

Joey Porter has played in hudreds of snaps and Cameron Wake has played in a handful.

"Peezy" :pity: has 12 tackles, 2 1/2 sacks, and a FF.
    Wake :knucks: has 11 tackles 3 1/2 sacks, and a FF.

Why haven't the reporters :huh: in Miami asked Sparano the question?

Is he a liablilty against the run? because I never see Porter making a tackle, or even part of a tackle, so there is nothing to worry about with Wake.

Is he a liabilty against the pass? because I've never seen Porter tip a ball b/c off his coverage skills. Shoot I've never even seen him anywhere close to a receiver or a TE, so there is nothing to worry about with Wake.

So come on coach, put Wake in and let's see if this kid can make plays that we aren't sure if he can make. We KNOW Porter isn't, so what's the deal here?

DolfanTom and GISH like this.
  2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I wonder if it has to do with him being a raw pass rusher. He's basically a speed rusher at this point and if you show him enough times, he's going to be neutralized. I don't think they are comfortable with him getting extensive playing time because he's still raw. I like him though and I think his explosiveness could be put to great use, it's just a matter of how far he is in polishing his game. Based on the playing time he's gotten, I'd say he's somewhere middle of the road.

3. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    I, for one, would like to see more of Cam Wake also. It's an interesting mystery. I'm thinking about dialing up Sherlock Holmes lol. Maybe they think he's a liability in the run game and want to continue to coach him up to speed and develop him into something better than he already is. We just have to wait and see.

EDIT: oh and I think you won this weeks contest, props to you as you were freakishly close to the actual results.

4. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    he is a liability against the run and the pass. Theres no doubt in my mind. He is a 1-dementional player that is only useful on the field when he's doing one thing. That's probably how he ended up in the cfl in the first player.

When the 4-3 was more prevalent in the nfl, (like when Wake came out of college) there was no place for a guy who could only rush the passer. But the 3-4, now guys like Wake have a spot in the nfl.

Wake would not do well as an every down player. He'd be run over on running plays and he'd be exploited on passing plays. Now, that's not to say we shouldn't put him in there more to blitz, but the guy is no where near a starter or a full time player.

5. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Hand use, and he is not that natural in dropping back. Here's one for you as well. If you compare his explosiveness when he is in a 2 versus 3 point stance you should see something. Wake is not as explosive a player from a two point stance. Wake uses leverage like no other, and in a two point stance he does not get to use that part of his game either.

He is a DE and as such has a limited use at this stage. If he could improve his ability to redirect inside he could see more time, but he must also become more natural in space. At the moment he is close to a one trick pony, albeit he is good at it.

Plus take into account that neither Nick Kaczur or the Bills OT are very agile laterally, and move more like a ferry boat than anything else. Against more athletic tackles, he has struggled to make an impact as he can get controlled thanks to a lack of hand use.

Just my opinion.

6. Linus

Linus Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 9, 2008
    I believe that this is their answer, but what has Porter done special this year? How many dimensions does Porter have? He's not good at stopping the run, it's not like he's the best cover OLB in the game...his main role has been/is rushing the passer...And he isn't getting it done.

Wake has put up the same exact numbers as Porter with like 1/12 the snaps. How can the coaches not give the guy a better look, at least. Is it because Porter is the big name? If other players get "demoted" or get less snaps due to poor play...how can Porter not see any reduction?

7. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Cause if you benched Porter you may have to resort to Charlie Anderson. For a pass rusher. Who has never had more than 2.5 sacks in a season. Wake does not play the same position as Porter at this stage.

Matt Roth is more of a strong side guy, and if you think Porter may be a liability in the passing game watch out.

alen1 likes this.
  8. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Part of Wakes production comes from the fact that whoevers blocking Porter or Taylor are used to blocking Porter or taylor. So when young buck Wake gets in there and shows them a different kind of speed they havent seen all game, he usually beats them.

Porter is old. So is Taylor. Guys like Wake will see more time because of that anyway, so i say theres no reason to rush things. Porter isn't getting it done, but on First Down, i want Porter out there way more than I do Wake. On 3rd and 7, that's a different story

gunn34 and Stringer Bell like this.
  9. Linus

Linus Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 9, 2008

Fair enough. But, Joey Porter isn't doing anything Charlie Anderson couldn't do:lol:

If that's the answer...then move Taylor over, play Roth more, and get Wake in on EVERY 3rd and 6+. Every time he goes out there...I see him pressuring the quarterback right away. Even in the Saints game when he played like 2 snaps...he "bothered" Brees instantly.

Even if he is more of a 4-3 DE, a guy that can consistently pressure the QB is invaluable, in my opinion. In a league where passing rules all, and great QBs win games on their own...a team needs a player that can get to the QB (once a game, at least). He has been the only player on the team to do so, really.

10. eric

eric New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    maybe we will see some changes now that we are through 8 of 16 games.

11. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    It wouldnt shock me, Wake has gotten more push in his limited time than Porter has all season.

12. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Wake is the answer

Miguel likes this.
  13. Miguel

Miguel The smartest Man on earth

I only thank you because you kept your answee short and sweet NICE SIG

14. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    You read my mind.

15. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Joey Porter needs to step it up. Making one play per month does not cut it.

16. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I would like to see them get Roth back at SOLB full time and move JT over to WOLB and let he & Porter split time there. That gets JT & JP rest so they are fresh, then maybe replace Roth on 3rd & 7 with Wake.