1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When good Playstations go bad.

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by muscle979, Apr 19, 2009.

1. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    So after years of Playstation reliability my 60GB PS3 suddenly and mysteriously died on me earlier today. I was playing a little Rock Band 2 and the game suddenly froze, the console shut off, and the power light blinked red. I had no luck even retrieving the game disk. Now for the good news.

I paid $599 for this 60GB PS3 on May 1st 2007. I also purchased the 2 year product replacement plan from Best Buy. It would have run out in 11 days. So I think I might play the lottery today b/c that was the luckiest I've been in a while. That happens two weeks from now and I'm screwed. So I took the console back and was given a $621 store credit. I was able to pick up a new PS3 with a whopping 160GB hard drive and Uncharted included. I had enough credit left to buy a new 2 year plan. I also had to replace the game it ate which sucks. But overall not a bad deal. But when I got home it wasn't all good news.

I've basically lost all of my saved data from my 20 games or so [obviously]. I've been redownloading RB tracks for an hour or so now. My Oblivion, Fallout 3, and MLB 09 the show saved games are history. Among others. This new PS3 only has two USB ports. Do they even make consoles with four? I grabbed what I thought was the highest end PS3 in the store. It's not a huge issue but I play RB a lot and it's good to have more USB ports b/c the game supports up to four players. It's also not PS2 compatible, I guess Sony has taken that out of all their consoles now too. Again not a huge deal but it was nice to have it.

Slightly more annoying was that the two old sixaxis controllers do not work with this console. The extra one cost me almost 50 bucks. If I would have known that I probably would have just grabbed an 80GB PS3 so I'd have enough credit left for another controller. I know the old ones were discontinued but way to screw over people who had the old stuff. Now I have two worthless PS controllers sitting on my shelf. And installing software updates still proves to be a bit tricky. But my PSN download speed seems faster. It could just be me.

Odd all of this happened within a month of buying an Xbox 360. Was the Playstation jealous? Was it Microsoft sabotage? We'll never know. And one last thought, I took the advice of many here and picked up Mass Effect used at Gamestop for 14 bucks.

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Great buy on Mass Effect.

I really can't believe the Sixaxis controllers don't work. That is incredibly odd IMO.

I don't think they make ones with 4 USB anymore either.

I am dreading the idea of my 80GB BC PS3 dying.

3. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA

I'm very disappointed about the controllers. This new PS3 is so quiet though. I've had it running for almost two hours now doing downloads and its still whisper quiet. My old one could get a bit loud.

I'm also thinking since my Fallout 3 game is gone it gives me a good excuse to trade in my PS3 version and get the 360 version. I'd have to play through the whole thing again anyway and this way I can get a hold of those extra downloadable levels. :up:

4. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'd definitely opt for the 360 Fallout 3. That's the reason I haven't got it yet, because I have seen the PS3 version pretty cheap (like $35, but the cheapest I have seen the 360 is $50).

5. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I'm sure the higher price is due to the DLC. It's a great game though. It would be worth 75 dollars. It's got so much content just out of the case.

6. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yeah Sony disabled PS2 compatibility a little while back.

7. TJamesW_Phinfan

TJamesW_Phinfan New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I bought a PS3 a few months ago. recently I went to grab God of War 1 and 2 for it and the store clerk said it wouldn't run in my PS3. Any one have any idea if this will be re-released for PS3 or do I have to wait for GoD 3? Otherwise I love the system so far but that annoys me that older models were backwards compatible but now newer models are not.

Also thinking of getting a 360. Now I'm worried in the middle of the night the 360 will sneak over and kill the PS3 while it sleeps...

8. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The PS3 hasn't had BC for over a year now, I really didn't know it was news to people still.

9. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    There is a rumor that Sony is working on bringing PS2 backwards compatibility in the future via a system update, but that is still a big rumor.

10. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I had just been living in 60GB backwards compatible bliss.

Stitches likes this.
  11. Get Up And Go

Get Up And Go New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I hope my 60gb doesn't crap out on me. I don't have a warranty for it :(

I could care less about the BC though. I already have a PS2.

12. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Hopefully not, it was the strangest thing. No previous signs of trouble or anything. It definitely wasn't heat or anything, I had only had it running for ten minutes today.

13. TJamesW_Phinfan

TJamesW_Phinfan New Member

Dec 2, 2007

I'm new to the world of consoles being a PC only gamer for many years till just recently. I have much to learn. :)

I just found out I can set up my PS3 to dual boot to a Linux OS. Deffinately going to play with that.

I have the Conan game which I heard used the same engine as GoD but not sure if that is accurate. I like the game though either way.

Get Up And Go and Stitches like this.
  14. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    My Ps3 only has 2 USB ports. Easily fixed with a 5 way USB splitter I picked up for $20.00. It sites behind the machine out of site along with the 500GB external that is hooked up to it.

muscle979 likes this.
  15. finattic79

finattic79 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Actually for everyone out there, most replacement plans kick in after the manufacturer's warranty runs out. I had bought one on my for my Wii and it broke, I grabbed my receipt to see how long I had on it, and it had been 2 years after the fact, so I thought I was screwed. But I went to their website and it kicks in after the original warranty.

16. finsmx

finsmx Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Monterrey, Mexico
    Your controllers not working is really weird, are you sure you're doing it right?

You need to plug them in with the usb cable into the system (it needs to be on btw) and then turn them on, so they are recognized by your new ps3.

muscle979 likes this.
  17. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

18. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA

I would have sworn I did that already but obviously I didn't. Looking back I realize I didn't do it b/c I had to plug the new dualshock controller in for charging. It worked so thanks for the advice. The idea that a new system would need to "recognize" these controllers didn't occur to me.

19. Static XIII

Static XIII New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    My 360 has finally been received and is being repaired.........why don't they just send me one that is fix so i don't have to wait as long.